• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

‘Rogue One: A Star Wars Story’ Is Year’s Most Anticipated Movie (Survey)

Status
Not open for further replies.

shira

There is a good chance I'll enjoy more Rogue One than TFA
because they don't have a script to recycle on that one
, but Gareth Edwards track record is not too hot, so I'll have to keep my expectations in check.

Looking forward to it anyway.

It's a heist movie. I find them to either be really clever or really bad.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
What do you think? A movie like that, and a guy like me?
I am not a english native speaker, so I have to admit that I not fully understand you, but I am very interested in some side stuff. My biggest wish is for a movie that revolves around the Rouge Squadron and has fancy Space battles and doesnt involve any of the big characters. I dont even like the idea of a Han Solo or Boba Fett movie.

Kordelle

Depending on when the survey was taken

1)No one had seen the teaser

2)Based off the name, would have no idea related to Harry Potter
I wonder if 2 will be a problem for the movie, maybe they should have put Harry Potter in the title somehow

I'm still pretty excited for Rogue One, but I did become slightly less so when I heard it was about the death star. It's seriously the one thing Star Wars needs to move past

Its about them stealing the plans... a huge turning point in the entire saga that is almost assuredly rife with espionage, tragedy, etc...

It will be good. I think Gareth Edwards can deliver.

What if the Death Star is Rey's father?

Fuuuuuuuuuuck.

vYZuUgc.gif

Great to see WW at the top of most anticipated comic book character

bengraven

A lot of casual people, even those who were super excited about Force Awakens, have no idea this movie even exists.

Blader

A lot of casual people, even those who were super excited about Force Awakens, have no idea this movie even exists.

Well it's nearly a year away, still filming, and not a single thing has been to market it to the public. So that makes sense!

The Luke, Vader, Emperor scenes alone make ROTJ better than TFA. They are some of the best scenes in the whole Saga.

Scenes =/= movie

I place TFA above ANH because of a better lead (Rey > Luke in ANH, period, send salt my way), better villain (Ren > Vader in terms of character depth, story, everything), and better action.

ROTJ is amazing from 2/3 on, but that's it. Before that feels like the PT... like Lucas was cashing in on merch and kids fantasies.

Malyse

We're pretending Disney fired their marketing department?
TFA is 2nd only to Empire.

As a person with no nostalgia for Star Wars (watched 4-6 for the first time on the 16th), I concur with this and have to question when people actually last saw the OT if they disagree.

I wonder if 2 will be a problem for the movie, maybe they should have put Harry Potter in the title somehow

Every piece of promotional material I've seen has some kind of variation on "From the Wizarding World of Harry Potter" above the logo. Heck, the Entertainment Weekly cover story had "HARRY POTTER PREQUEL" splashed across the image of the main character. I think they'll be ok.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
As a person with no nostalgia for Star Wars (watched 4-6 for the first time on the 16th), I concur with this and have to question when people actually last saw the OT if they disagree.
A couple of months ago, why?
People have different tastes, you know.

Growing up, like most, I took ANH for granted and preferred Empire or Jedi. ANH seemed like just an introduction. Great fun, but without any meat. But the more I watch the film, the more I appreciate it. It's now my favorite. It's such a dynamic film and it's so so strange. It's the kind of the film that if it wasn't released exactly when it was, it would have gone on to be a cult classic rather than a blockbuster. And it's not because it's bad, it's because it was so incredible. The risk was that it was so unique and specific that it only had a small window to not only penetrate Pop Culture the way it did but create a new kind of culture around it. There was, and in many ways still is, nothing like it. Something like that can never be overvalued. It's a groundbreaking film and continues to be one, which is apparent by how much TFA pulls from it.

And I really liked TFA, I've seen it twice and plan to see it one more time before it leaves the theatre, but it owes too much to ANH and the OT to be as brilliant as them.

harSon

Banned
Do you guys think Star Wars can come out on an annual basis without negatively impacting its box office appeal moving forward? I know Marvel has been able to do it, and I think Disney will be able to do it as well for the foreseeable near future, but what about 5-6 years from now? Despite having a shared universe, Marvel has done a relatively good job of making each intellectual property feel unique and standalone. Once we're past stuff like the Han Solo and Boba Fett films, do you think they'll be able to differentiate each spin off enough to not dilute the excitement for the overall brand?

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Also, it needs still to proof that it stays that high in peoples opinion. I can see tht after a few months and after the excitement is over, peoples opinion winds a little bit down.
Everyone is just hyped as fuck right now.

Do you guys think Star Wars can come out on an annual basis without negatively impacting its box office appeal moving forward? I know Marvel has been able to do it, and I think Disney will be able to do it as well for the foreseeable near future, but what about 5-6 years from now? Despite having a shared universe, Marvel has done a relatively good job of making each intellectual property feel unique and standalone. Once we're past stuff like the Han Solo and Boba Fett films, do you think they'll be able to differentiate each spin off enough to not dilute the excitement for the overall brand?

I can see them make a bigger break after IX.

Monocle

In a word, yes. Marvel proves it can be done, if only by the fact that rather quirky films like Ant-Man and Guardians—films that weren't easy sells like Iron Man or Captain America—were released to considerable success and acclaim well after Marvel's standard movie formula was established through more mainstream properties.

I think right now they're just acclimating people to Star Wars again. A lot of folks have said TFA is a Greatest Hits of the OT in order to get people back on board with things after the PT left such a bad taste in their mouths. I feel like once they're done with the.. what is this now, the Sequel Trilogy? and the announced spinoffs, they'll have people back on board to start really diversifying things. There's a LOT they can do without having to tie it back into the OT to keep things fresh and exciting for people.

I mean, it's space, they can do literally almost anything and stick the Star Wars name on it.

Yes. Also I feel Han Solo and Boba could easily become trilogies.

Gonzalez

Banned
Marvel backlash has started.

I don't even see much Civil War talk around here after the initial trailer. AoU must have tainted the waters.

I don't think you can compare Star Wars to Marvel entirely. Having a shared canon between different ips is not the same as branching a single ip into spin offs.

Compare it to X-Men.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Star Wars will definitely have box office decay. None of the other 5 announced will come close to TFA's numbers, similar to ANH and PM. The first has always done the best.

But even if the next one is down like 500million worldwide. Its still going to be massively profitable without even getting started on the merchandise.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake

I doubt it, there's a certain feeling of fickleness in the air when it comes to TFA, I feel. The craze has yet to kick into full gear, landscape is completely different than a superhero franchise, and hopefully -for Disney- it does get into people's heads before it's over. What's being asked here is to create a cinematic universe from the ground up with fresh characters whose immediate charisma and lasting appeal, two things absolutely necessary for the SWU to move forward, are still up in the air. Of course everyone will go crazy for Episode IX, it's the in between that I'm doubtful about

Pandy

Personally little anticipation for Rogue One, based on The Force Awakens.

Sad to say it, but New Star Wars is B-tier Disney for now, with Marvel being the A-tier.

Obviously I don't mean financially. :)

I didn't think much of The Force Awakens, I'd put Antman above it in my list of 2015 films. I think CA: Civil War looks decent, while I expect an EU pulp-novel grade film in Rogue One.

Will be delighted to be wrong, and am hoping that Star Trek is better than both. Into Darkness had its moments but ultimately fell apart, and I'd like one of the two 'Star' franchises to still be going strong.

For the record, I'd say The Hateful Eight is my most anticipated film of the year, as it still hasn't materialised at my local cinema.

I am not a english native speaker, so I have to admit that I not fully understand you, but I am very interested in some side stuff. My biggest wish is for a movie that revolves around the Rouge Squadron and has fancy Space battles and doesnt involve any of the big characters. I dont even like the idea of a Han Solo or Boba Fett movie.

Sorry, I thought you were quoting ANH :)

Princess Leia Organa: Your friend is quite the mercenary. I wonder if he really cares about anything. Or anybody.
[she stalks out]
Luke Skywalker: [calling after her] I care.
[to Han]
Luke Skywalker: So, what do you think of her, Han?
Han Solo: I'm tryin' not to, kid.
Luke Skywalker: Good.
Han Solo: [baiting him] Still, she's got a lot of spirit. I don't know, whaddya think? You think a princess and a guy like me...
Luke Skywalker: [quickly] No.

Obviously I don't mean financially. :)

I didn't think much of The Force Awakens, I'd put Antman above it in my list of 2015 films. I think CA: Civil War looks decent, while I expect an EU pulp-novel grade film in Rogue One.

Will be delighted to be wrong, and am hoping that Star Trek is better than both. Into Darkness had its moments but ultimately fell apart, and I'd like one of the two 'Star' franchises to still be going strong.

For the record, I'd say The Hateful Eight is my most anticipated film of the year, as it still hasn't materialised at my local cinema.
I wasn't laughing at your opinion. I just find that comparing the one film Lucasfilm have released since they were purchased by Disney with the twelve MCU films released thus far is a tad unbalanced.

SCReuter

Gareth Edwards made Godzilla boring as fuck, I hope he has better luck with Star Wars.

Yeah, Gareth Edwards' Godzilla is really boring, and it's my main concern regarding Rogue One.

This project will at least have a different cinematographer, editor, producer, and screenplay writer, so maybe those changes will help spice things up...

I'm all in for Rogue One. More X-Wings = yesssssss. But Captain America seems awfully low on this poll. I hear a lot of people talking about it, and virtually none talking about "New Bourne Movie."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom