• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"“The late and not so great.” says Michael Patcher about Satoru Iwata.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did it not occur to him to try having some taste before saying this? It's stupid, regardless of how the last several (four of many before) years of his life turned out.

Ashtar

I'm actually a big fan of pachter but this was Just unnecessary. Even when I watched I was just like *record scratch* unneeded
He could have said the late iwata who I disagreed with during his tenure and get the same point across. I'm glad he apologized but he shouldn't have said it all.

Iwata confirmed alive and the greatest

nintendo-back-from-the-grave-iwata-coffin-shocked-13884007960.gif

Legends don't die.

In context or not, that was still a really dumb thing to say. Don't speak ill of the dead, especially one that just passed away who was remembered fondly for most people. Show some respect.

Shiggy

Why do people still listen to him then?

Why do people still give him coverage?

Why do gaf keep making threads about his analysis?

Well, in this case his analysts seems accurate, so now it's about criticizing a dead person. When people get over the poor wording, there's little to disagree that his final years as CEO were plagued by a number of bad decisions.

Nessus

Iwata was a CEO who saw his company crumble at his direction,

He also oversaw the second best selling video game platform of all time and best selling Nintendo home console.

Even the comparative failure of the 3DS outsold the SNES.

That doesn't make him immune to criticism, but I feel like it earned him the benefit of the doubt. He only had one genuine failure.

Ridley327

Do people even make threads about any of the analytical stuff that he does? I think it's always about some dumb comment he's spouted.

-sdp

The apology should be added to the OP, most replies in this page haven't even seen it.

Because he's a successful financial analyst and doesn't say the things gamers want to hear so they get mad and think that if he gets some random prediction wrong that he's actually incompetent at what he does.

He says that Nintendo only has the rights to make console Pokémon games, does that expire?

No, because Nintendo Owns part of the IP. They'd have to ok any projects for another system unless Creatures and TPC were somehow bought up by another company in order to gain a majority of the IP. Even then, they'd still benefit from the dividends the series brings in.

Do people even make threads about any of the analytical stuff that he does? I think it's always about some dumb comment he's spouted.

Fair enough.

But still, why does he still in the industry? Why are there still people out there who record and listen to his analysis, follow him in social media, and such? Even if your intention is to make fun of his speeches, you still have to listen to him, right? If he's so wrong, why don't we all just leave him alone?

"Patcher" just digging himself into a hole. He's always wrong, but I thought he had some decency.

Iwata did more for the industry he worked on than "Patcher" did, not that we could properly compare a programmer turned CEO to an analyst turned Youtuber.

Why is it not ok to be critical of someone if they've passed on? If you thought they did a bad job and said so while they're alive, you're suddenly not allowed to say it once they're dead? I don't get why this is a big deal. You can debate his opinion, I just don't think you can debate his right to continue speaking his opinion on the matter.

Edit: To be clear, I do think it could have been worded differently.

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
I'm very offended. Who does this guy think he is?

To me, there is no question about the greatness of Iwata, both as a CEO, as a game developer, or as a person. He wasn't a flame baiter like this Michael individual.

He was a true professional and visionary, who was not afraid to look at the market from new perspectives. To achieve unthinkable goals, many of which he was laughed at for.

He brought a lot of money to Nintendo, by doing what seemed to be the impossible.

PaulloDEC

This seems like one of those things that makes the Nintendo die-hard really mad but nobody else much cares about.

Pachter thinks Iwata wasn't such a great businessman, and because the guy isn't alive anymore and was beloved by fans, the perceived insult is amplified. It isn't a comment on the man's character, nor is it a suggestion that he's glad Iwata is dead.

It clearly wasn't a particularly nice thing to say, but part of Pachter's deal is to be opinionated and kinda take-no-prisoners, so I'm not sure why we're acting surprised.

joms5

I don't judge a person based on if they were a good business man or not.

Iwata was a creative genius. Therefore he is most definitely great.

Pachter on the other. Well let's just say I won't shed a single tear when that waste of space leaves this earth.

PaulloDEC

I don't judge a person based on if they were a good business man or not.

Iwata was a creative genius. Therefore he is most definitely great.

Pachter on the other. Well let's just say I won't shed a single tear when that waste of space leaves this earth.

I hope the irony of going after Pachter and then saying the bolded isn't lost on you.

Sorry not sorry.

How is this:

Pbdc.png

"Sorry not sorry?" Seriously, I don't get it.

schaft0620

No, because Nintendo Owns part of the IP. They'd have to ok any projects for another system unless Creatures and TPC were somehow bought up by another company in order to gain a majority of the IP. Even then, they'd still benefit from the dividends the series brings in.

But if Nintendo owns a part of the IP how are they not profitable from the IP being successful on mobile?

Edit: not that I'm debating you, I'm just trying to understand

Why is it not ok to be critical of someone if they've passed on? If you thought they did a bad job and said so while they're alive, you're suddenly not allowed to say it once they're dead? I don't get why this is a big deal. You can debate his opinion, I just don't think you can debate his right to continue speaking his opinion on the matter.

It's okay to be critical of a dead person's choices and behaviors.

It's considered rude to be critical of a dead person as a person.

The statement seems in line with the second option. Also see what zen arcade explained about subversion of phrases making a statement have extra meaning.

Demoskinos

Micheal, regardless of what you think of Iwata just have the fucking basic decency to keep you opinion to yourself for once in your life.

PaulloDEC

The statement seems in line with the second option. Also see what zen arcade explained about subversion of phrases making a statement have extra meaning.

Does it? Why would Pachter go after Iwata as a person? What would he even know about Iwata as a person?

FZZ

Banned
Wii & DS were GOAT

3DS & Wii U lost a lot of marketshare

He was 50/50 in his tenure. I think Nintendo would've done a lot better if Iwata was still alive and he was still able to lead the company

as of right now, I haven't been fucking with Kimishima's way of handling the company at all

Shiggy

Reading some posts in this thread, the answer is simple: because it's Iwata, a holy person to some Nintendo fans who must not be criticized.

GuyKazama

He was referring to Iwata's performance as a CEO, which is his job as an analyst.

Does it? Why would Pachter go after Iwata as a person? What would he even know about Iwata as a person?

It seems personal because of how the English language works.

I can't judge either man's knowledge or their attitudes toward each other. I never met them. I can judge their words if they speak in English, though.

He was referring to Iwata's performance as a CEO, which is his job as an analyst.

And if he said "not so great CEO", it would be a bit inflammatory, but not clearly rude like "not so great Iwata". There's a difference between criticism of the job and criticism of the person.

It was a flippant remark, but it wasn't subversive. It was used as a lead into being critical of Iwata's approach to mobile gaming. And as such appears frivolous towards Iwata's legacy.

RexNovis

Banned
Someone dying does not make them sacrosanct. Pachter is entitied to his opinion and the idea that he is not allowed to express it just because the person in question passed away is absurd. Are we not allowed to express negative opinions of Ronald Reagan just because he died? Of course not. He's a prominent controversial public figure of course people will have conflicting opinions on him. Iwata is not some sort of infallible God that demands exemption from scrutiny. Some of y'all seriously need to take a step back and reevaluate the magnitude of the comment/situation.

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
But if Nintendo owns a part of the IP how are they not profitable from the IP being successful on mobile?

Edit: not that I'm debating you, I'm just trying to understand

Nintendo solely owns the Pokemon trademark.

Nintendo / Creatures / Game Freak all own 1/3 of the game copyright.

Nintendo owns a stake of Creatures and a stake of The Pokemon Company (management company established to coordinate Pokemon products).

Nintendo owns more of Pokemon than any single company.

jett

D-Member
Pachter has been talking trash about Iwata for ages. Just because he died doesn't mean Pachter is going to just change his mind.

Someone dying does not make them sacrosanct. Pachter is entitied to his opinion and the idea that he is not allowed to express it just because the person in question passed away is absurd. Are we not allowed to express negatively be opinions jobs of Ronald Reagan just because he died? Of course not. He's a prominent controversial public figure of course people will have conflicting opinions on him. Iwata is not some sort of infallible God that demands exemption from scrutiny. Some of y'all seriously need to take a step back and reevaluate the magnitude of the comment/situation.

Nobody is saying he is not allowed to express his opinion, but just like he's free to be critical of a dead Iwata, people are free to be critical of him and his comments.

PaulloDEC

It seems personal because of how the English language works.

I can't judge either man's knowledge or their attitudes toward each other. I never met them. I can judge their words if they speak in English, though.

I'm an English speaker too, and it seemed blindingly obvious to me that Pachter being a business analyst on an internet show about business would mean that he was speaking of Iwata from the perspective of a business analyst.

Cuburt

How is this:

Pbdc.png

"Sorry not sorry?" Seriously, I don't get it.
Try his first reaction to people's outrage which was in the post that I quoted.

Even his apology reeks of insincerity where he has to state he's serious in a post that sounds as flippant as his original comment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom