• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

1 million people and 40+ world leaders to march against terror in Paris

Status
Not open for further replies.
Place de la République, an hour and a half ago:

thumb900_phplpctv6photo_1.jpg
thumb900_php8kuiacphoto.jpg

A friend of mine went there yesterday evening and he told me all the world's media were there - there were even vehicles from the vietnamese television

cripterion

Some politicians are now marching for freedom of speech but condemned and censored Dieudonné last year? Get the fuck out of here!

And sorry, Valls, I disagree with your statement that "we're all jewish of France".We're all humans, that's it! What happened is a tragedy but meanwhile a lot of horror still happening in other parts of the world, like terrorists using kids to blow up people in Nigeria and I don't see them revolted about that.

Signed, a frenchman who's sick to death with religion.

This, so much!

Spineker

Banned
And there's Rupert's bitter old cunt moment sticking out like a sore thumb amidst a great gesture of defiance and goodwill.

How about Saudi Arabia?

Lol. Half the Islamic countries have laws punishing insulting Mohammed, including the death penalty. Saudi Arabia just had a man flogged for insulting Islam.

I'm surprised Jordan is attending.

Jordan's Penal Code prohibits anyone from blaspheming Islam, demeaning Islam or Muslim feelings, or insulting Prophet Mohammed.[40] Violating the prohibitions makes the violator liable for imprisonment (up to three years) and a fine.

The Palestinian Authority had a man imprisoned and tortured for insulting Islam. Ironically he ended up in France.

I'm surprised Jordan is attending.

I don't think the current King and Queen of Jordan agree with everything in the country's penal code (which existed before they became rulers and had no part in creating), and they can't go about changing it easily without angering the conservative majority population.

Their participation is a sign of the country's anti-terrorism stance (and I would guess their personal beliefs on freedom of speech, even if they can't realistically put it to full practice in their country because politics are not that simple).

lefantome

I don't think the current King and Queen of Jordan agree with everything in the country's penal code (which existed before they became rulers and had no part in creating), and they can't go about changing it easily without angering the conservative majority population and causing

Their participation is a sign of their with anti-terrorism stance (and I would guess their personal beliefs on freedom of speech, even if they can't realistically put it to full practice in their country because politics are not that simple).

Yeah I really appreciated the gesture, much better than some people who have actively tried to silence free speech who are now coaiming to be charlie hebdo

I don't think the current King and Queen of Jordan agree with everything in the country's penal code (which existed before they became rulers and had no part in creating), and they can't go about changing it easily without angering the conservative majority population and causing

Their participation is a sign of their with anti-terrorism stance (and I would guess their personal beliefs on freedom of speech, even if they can't realistically put it to full practice in their country because politics are not that simple).

I'm sorry but if they are too scared to stand up for their principles and promote change of the attitudes that led to this attack within their own country then they should stay home. It is hugely hypocritical to attend as representatives of Jordan when that country promotes punishing those who may offend someone by mocking religion.

France to protect Jewish sites with army 'if necessary'

Jewish schools and synagogues will be protected "if necessary" by the French army, a leading figure in the country's Jewish community said after meeting with President Francois Hollande on Sunday.

"He told us that all the schools, all the synagogues will be protected, if necessary, on top of the police, by the army," said Roger Cukierman, president of the Representative Council of Jewish Institutions in France.

Hollande also said he would visit the Grand Synagogue of Paris after a march to mark this week's jihadist attacks in the capital.
http://www.france24.com/en/20150111-france-protect-jewish-sites-with-army-necessary/

Place de la République, 15 minutes ago:

phpth0nspphoto_5.jpg

Juz

The prime minister of Finland Alexander Stubb is also participating.

Didn't see him on the list.

I'm sorry but if they are too scared to stand up for their principles and promote change of the attitudes that led to this attack within their own country then they should stay home. It is hugely hypocritical to attend as representatives of Jordan when that country promotes punishing those who may offend someone by mocking religion.

Their very act of joining the march is them "promoting change" in their own country (and it's not like they don't try to do it in other ways). Your concept of running a country seems naive and ignorant of the complexities involved. Change doesn't happen overnight.

dofry

That's "Dr." dofry to you.
The prime minister of Finland Alexander Stubb is also participating.

Didn't see him on the list.

He is!? Was a bit worried we would stay silent like we always do.

Well easy to spot his shiny white teeth.
First conceretely nice thing he will be doing as the prime minister.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I'm not sure all those world leaders attending necessarily agree with the whole idea of freedom. Certainly it doesn't seem to exactly be in line with domestic policies in countries like Turkey and Russia.

Russia does certainly hate "terrorism" though.

Joni

While it is ironic to see some of these world leaders, it is still a strong signal to the terroristic world that the world stands as one in condemnation. If Palestine and Israel, Russia and the USA, ... can come together on an issue, it shows we can overcome our differences to attack the terroristic view point.

I wonder if Hollande's approval ratings will rise. He's managed basically the impossible.
Well, there is no way he can drop lower. In that regard, his approval ratings will rise. But otherwise, no. He is lucky the elections are still far away because an event like this will automatically send the voter population to the right, no matter what.

Wanchan

Everytime i hear Freedom of Speech in France, it makes me sick, last year at the exact same date, they were censoring an humorist for a joke, not drawings or anything, a joke. (which i didn't agree with but still where was his freedom of speech then?)

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
I think this is most important for EU. Having almost all the leaders in one place that it's not a fancy summit and rather making a common point is a nice thing. Maybe they could really start thinking what can be done together and how can the issues be solved together, from freedom of speech (*cough* Hungary *cough*) to radical Islam.

Also the fact the prime minister of Israel and the president of Palestine are both participating at this march is a nice symbol.

Forsete

Everytime i hear Freedom of Speech in France, it makes me sick, last year at the exact same date, they were censoring an humorist for a joke, not drawings or anything, a joke. (which i didn't agree with but still where was his freedom of speech then?)

That guy who did the reverse Sieg Heil?

liger05

Didn't they ban pro Palestinian protests as well?

How about the rapper who got charged in 06

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2006/may/29/france.arts?CMP=share_btn_fb

One of France's most popular rappers will appear in court today charged with offending public decency with a song in which he referred to France as a "slut" and vowed to "piss" on Napoleon and Charles de Gaulle.

Monsieur R, whose real name is Richard Makela, could face three years in prison or a €75,000 (£51,000) fine after an MP from the ruling UMP party launched legal action against him over his album Politikment Incorrekt.

In the video for the song FranSSe, Makela, 30, appeared dressed as a gendarme with two naked women rubbing against the French flag as he rapped: "France is a bitch, don't forget to fuck her till she's exhausted/You have to treat her like a slut, man." At another point in the song, he sang: "I piss on Napoleon and on General de Gaulle."

G.O.O.

That guy who did the reverse Sieg Heil?
And who has links with hate groups.

Freedom of speech is one thing but hate speech is a limit, in France but anywhere else too. Some get a free pass and say awful things but Dieudo crossed the line several times and made it pretty clear his "jokes" were more than just that.

On the other hand something like the laws about insulting national symbols are serious bollocks.

azyless

Again, freedom of speech does not and should not negate hate speech, and be an excuse for decades of "jokes" targeting jews. He's a holocaust denying, far right scumbag, yet did anyone forbid him to do his shows ? No, he said what he had to say, hell he's been saying it for far too long if you ask me, and people are also free to sue him for it.
When neo nazis groups all over Europe start using your "innocent" sign, I think it's fair to say that it's incitement to hatred. I can't believe anyone would defend him.
I'm beginning to believe some people lack some serious common sense for not seeing the difference between criticizing and mocking/insulting, and freedom of speech/expression has never meant that you're able to say whatever you want without consequences.

Alienous

Who are they hoping to change the minds of? The irrational potential terrorists? Not likely; they are indoctrinated in their faith.

It's a nice gesture but I don't see what could come of it.

Alx

Anyway we can discuss for hours about what is acceptable or not in prohibiting some messages, but I'm rather convinced shooting people will always be across the line. And that's what the current situation is about. Some people being censored may be an issue, but people being killed is at a whole other level.

Anyway we can discuss for hours about what is acceptable or not in prohibiting some messages, but I'm rather convinced shooting people will always be across the line. And that's what the current situation is about. Some people being censored may be an issue, but people being killed is at a whole other level.
Yeah, this debate would be best had in a separate thread.

What was the joke?

Forsete

Yes. Truth is, in France, you can mock everything but jewish because of some crazy jewish defense group. But it's another debate.

I don't know french, but based on some of the pictures which have been posted over the last few days, Charlie Hebdos seemed to feature jews many times.

And I don't know if doing a Hitler greeting outside a synagogue or grave site for jews is mocking or just hateful.

And who has links with hate groups.

Yes I remember there was something fishy with him and his "fans".

StayDead

I'm not sure all those world leaders attending necessarily agree with the whole idea of freedom. Certainly it doesn't seem to exactly be in line with domestic policies in countries like Turkey and Russia.

Most world leaders want freedom, atleast freedom they define you're allowed to have. For most of them sadly it's probably for the good publicity in their home nations. I think it would've been much better had the world leaders just gone and not mentioned anything about it. People should show solidarity as the human race while ignoring all social classes, money and power. At the end of the day we're all human, but some are better off than others and that should never come into an argument for or against freedom for everyone.

warthog

Let's not exaggerate, you'll always find examples of how free speech is somewhat limited. But at least you don't get flogged like in some other countries...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom