• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

1 million people and 40+ world leaders to march against terror in Paris

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flintty

Seems I posted in the wrong thread.

You have to applaud the French for their resilience and patriotism. I'm loving the images coming through on the news, such a good message (middle finger) to terrorist organisations.

The President of Niger (Mahamadou Issoufou) is coming too.

B7EW7nrIYAA57Ti.jpg
thumb900_phpsgszj420150111_125126.jpg

---------------

3n9kkvr.png

Konosuke

Seems I posted in the wrong thread.

You have to applaud the French for their resilience and patriotism. I'm loving the images coming through on the news, such a good message (middle finger) to terrorist organisations.

I don't think this is meant to be or be seen as a display of patriotism. Far-right supporters would take advantage of it if so.

Rest of the world

• United States: Attorney General Eric Holder
  • Israel: Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu and Minister of Foreign Affairs Avigdor Lieberman
  • Palestinian Authority: President Mahmoud Abbas
  • Jordan: King Abdullah II and Queen Rania
  • Canada: Minister of Public Safety Steven Blaney
  • Russia: Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov
  • Kosovo: President Atifete Jahjaga
  • Albania: Prime Minister Edi Rama
  • Turkey: Prime Minister Ahmet Davutoglu
  • Georgia: Prime Minister Irakli Garibachvili
  • Ukraine: President Petro Porochenko
  • Tunisia: Prime Minister Mehdi Jomaa
  • Mali: President Ibrahim Boubacar Keïta
  • United Arab Emirates: Minister of Foreign Affairs Abdallah ben Zayed Al-Nahyane
  • Algeria: Minister of Foreign Affairs Ramtane Lamamra
  • Gabon: President Ali Bongo
  • Nigeria: President Mahamadou Issoufou
  • Benin: President Thomas Boni Yayi
  • Australia: President of the Senate Stephen Parry
  • Niger: President Mahamadou Issoufou

No East Asians?

Jburton

Banned
As nice as this is for the families of the fallen, it won't make a difference to those that might commit these awful acts.

I also have to ask what the difference is between these murdered journalists and the 17 murdered in Gaza last year.

Is it because they aren't western or white?

As much as my heart bleeds for the dead and their families and the awful circumstances of their demise I just feel these campaigns and marches etc highlight a core hypocrisy at the heart of it all, some lives mean more than others.

I do not mean to derail, and apologise if that is what it is seen as.

Flintty

I don't think this is meant to be or be seen as a display of patriotism. Far-right supporters would take advantage of it if so.

I think you're over thinking it. They're waving the French flag and singing the national anthem. If that's not patriotic then what is?

The Guardian’s Mark Tran writes that the controversial French comedian Dieudonné M’bala M’bala, who was banned from entering Britain last year after several of his shows were cancelled in France, has announced on Twitter that he is at today’s march.

Dieudonné, who is know for the “quenelle” – an allegedly antisemitic gesture, has convictions for inciting racial hatred through his in antisemitic jokes and comments. He insists his gesture is simply anti-establishment, but he has not distanced himself from groups and individuals who have posted photographs of themselves doing the quenelle outside synagogues, Holocaust memorials, Jewish schools and even at the Nazi death camp at Auschwitz.
http://www.theguardian.com/world/live/2015/jan/11/1m-expected-for-anti-terror-rally-live

---------

f1437736-6cf6-4ae3-b748-8bad6bf4ae6a-620x372.jpeg

A sign which reads, “Thank you Ahmed” referring to the police officer Ahmed Merabet shot outside the office of Charlie Hebdo. It also lists the names of the journalists and others killed on January 7, last week which left 17 dead.

RangerX

Banned
I'm from Ireland so Paris is less than 40 mins on a plane. I would have loved to have been there but I didn't have the cash this week. Much admiration and respect for all the french citizens who are out there showing unity. I see Turkish,Israeli and Russian flags together so thats pretty cool. Liberté, égalité, fraternité!

hohoXD123

As nice as this is for the families of the fallen, it won't make a difference to those that might commit these awful acts.

I also have to ask what the difference is between these murdered journalists and the 17 murdered in Gaza last year.

As much as my heart bleeds for the dead and their families and the awful circumstances of their demise I just feel these campaigns and marches etc highlight a core hypocrisy at the heart of it all, some lives mean more than others.

Well it is the unfortunate reality, I mean there was that Boko Haram massacre of 2000 people in Nigeria which happened at a similar time and although it was still reported by some media outlets it didn't exactly get as much attention as the killing of the journalists. Both obviously tragic events either way.

Chariot

It's a serious question and a valid one.

Just wanted to know the difference between one and the other.
The difference is that this hit home in Europe. We are used to news about deaths and terrorist crimes in foreign countries, but usually we get threats and botched operations. An attack in the middle of Europe, at day, of people with big names - this is something else.

Here are the options:

1/ March for no one
2/ March for the 17 murdered French people
3/ March for the 17 murdered French people and also other murdered people

Option 3 may not be happening, but I'd rather have option 2 than option 1, wouldn't you? Anything is better than nothing.

Besides, I'm sure many people are marching against all forms of terrorism, not just the ones that targeted Charlie Hebdo.

Jburton

Banned
The difference is that this hit home in Europe. We are used to news about deaths and terrorist crimes in foreign countries, but usually we get threats and botched operations. An attack in the middle of Europe, at day, of people with big names - this is something else.

I live in Europe and this same awful.news is the same to me as news from any other.

Your reckoning is exactly the bias of thought on the matter I was describing.

These murders are something else compared to others, is it not all bad, no matter background or country of origin?

I value the lives of the French journalists anymore or less than those murdered in Gaza.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton

A direct menace on Western civilization and in a society that it was safe in the past tens of years versus an area were death is a daily business. People feel stronger about their own security and deaths than others'. It's the human nature.

And there have been protest supporting the Palestinians in Europe in the past.

Edit: good for you that you care for all humans equally. Do you march for all the deaths in the world?

coleco

This act is not made to make a difference on terrorists but to reassure locals.

Also, it's obvious the circumstances in which journalists were murdered in Gaza and in France are quite different, being Gaza a dangerous place to be, almost a warzone. Sadly, a journalist getting murdered in a danger zone is not news, cartoonists getting murdered in Paris is. It's not hipocrisy, it's reality.

It's certainly not because their lives are worth more or because the colour of their skin or birth place like you implied.

Chariot

Just seeing the Live Stream of France 24. Angela Merkel arrived and she brought Sigmar Gabriel (Vice-Chancellor and Chairman of the socialdemocratic party) and Frank Walter Steinmeier (German Minister of Foreign Affairs) with her.

--
I live in Europe and this same awful.news is the same to me as news from any other.

Your reckoning is exactly the bias of thought on the matter I was describing.

These murders are something else compared to others, is it not all bad, no matter background or country of origin?

I value the lives of the French journalists anymore or less than those murdered in Gaza.
Me too. But you have to understand how people work. A child killed by a bomb in egypt is bad and horrible and you may feel bad. But a child killed by a bomb in your neighbourhood is a whole other thing. You felt safe in your first world country, violence is somewhere else. And suddenly it's in the capital city of a first world country close to you. It's unusual for Europe, it's something that moves people as you can see.

RangerX

Banned
This act is not made to make a difference on terrorists but to reassure locals.

Also, it's obvious the circumstances in which journalists were murdered in Gaza and in France are quite different, being Gaza a dangerous place to be, almost a warzone. Sadly, a journalist getting murdered in a danger zone is not news, cartoonists getting murdered in Paris is. It's not hipocrisy, it's reality.

It's certainly not because their lives are worth more or because the colour of their skin or birth place like you implied.

Reality and Hypocrisy aren't mutually exclusive.

It is about the human monkeysphere and there's nothing wrong with that, because that's how we're wired.

But once the emotion goes away, the question should be tackled, although in this case it's old hat and we know the answer.

Mimosa97

Moroccan FM to Attend Paris March Only if Caricatures Mocking Prophet Are Not Used.

http://www.marocpress.com/en/moroccoworldnews/article-32553.html

It's like they are missing the point.

You need to understand that this is all for show. The guy can't just come to the march without saying this shit in order to show his people that he doesn't condone the cartoons ...

Morrocco is one of our biggest allies. It has always been the case. Even in the war against terror we have very strong ties with Morocco. My uncle is a diplomat who used to deal a lot with North African countries.

I personally know a few moroccan friends who will be at the march.

Cardinal and Archbishop of Paris André Vingt-Trois invited people to pray "for our country" and "also for the terrorists who discover the truth of God's judgment"

That's kinda badass

Alx

I'm there, sort of. The crowd is already dense at Strasbourg st Denis. It was quite moving walking towards Republique from St Lazare and noticing more and more people were going in the same direction.

Nodnol

Things like this restore my faith in humanity.

Whether it be the people on Paris right now, or those around the world, it's refreshing to see a response to such a dispicable act of terrorism in which people unite and tell the rest of the world that they won't go quietly and they won't give up on freedom.

Forget your increased military budgets, your reviews in national security and your political campaigns; it's things like this that give me hope.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom