• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

$10,000 Pokémon Competition Winner disqualified for violating the competition rules

mcjmetroid

Here's a funny one:

Back in October, clothing brand Uniqlo hosted a competition which asked Pokémon fans to design a new t-shirt. The winner was to receive a lovely $10,000, a special trophy, invitation to an award ceremony in Tokyo, and even an invitation to the 2019 Pokémon World Championships.

Earlier today, that very winner was announced. Chinese artist Li Wen Pei took home the cash by submitting the Magikarp and Gyarados design you can see below. As an added bonus, the shirt was also revealed to be wearable in the upcoming Pokémon Sword and Shield games for Switch; incidentally, this appears to give more weight to the idea that character customisation will indeed play a part in the new games.

With this design

uniqlo.original.jpg

But Alas he had sold the design previously before he entered the competition

For example here:
screenshot2.original.jpg

annnnd here's his comment on Chinese Social Media which probably made it worse.

“Hello everyone. I sold a small number of smartphone cases with the same artwork (before I submitted it for Pokemon UTGP 2019). Unfortunately there are pirates who have pirated my artwork. Therefore please do not share the pirated goods.”

Pejo

I believe Resetera are saying the "bastard" deserved what he got but I kinda feel bad for the guy
Agreed. If we can believe that he's telling the truth, it's a shit situation for him. I guess the order of events were:

• He "designed" the art (looks like it was heavily influenced by monster hunter, but i digress)
  • He sold a number of cell phone cases with the design
  • Someone lifted the design (this is China, so seems plausible)
  • He entered the design in the contest.
  • This mess

The only thing that makes me less sympathetic is that it stated in the rules that the design couldn't be published anywhere previously. Seems a modification of the design would have been enough to save him here. Still sucks though.

mcjmetroid

Agreed. If we can believe that he's telling the truth, it's a shit situation for him. I guess the order of events were:

• He "designed" the art (looks like it was heavily influenced by monster hunter, but i digress)
  • He sold a number of cell phone cases with the design
  • Someone lifted the design (this is China, so seems plausible)
  • He entered the design in the contest.
  • This mess

The only thing that makes me less sympathetic is that it stated in the rules that the design couldn't be published anywhere previously. Seems a modification of the design would have been enough to save him here. Still sucks though.
He might have been ok had he not sent out a message telling people that he sold the design on phone cases before.

Top Bottom