• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Classic Appreciation Thread: I want to be the very best!

qq more

CyanVillageGBC4.png

Finished the town. Well, if I decide that the flowers should be left as-is. That was actually a bit challenging because some of the tiles were strictly 8x8. Everything but the flowers and doors are done from scratch. Fun little project.

Trees looks a little too similar to the Johto trees, so I'll have to fix that sometime.

Forkball

Those player guides are nostalgia bombs. I had like three or four just for Pokemon RBY alone. I also had this sucker:

prima.jpg

One thing I haven't seen mentioned here: Pokemon R/B has one of the greatest instruction manuals of all time.

First of all, it looked like a real guide that someone would have in the game. The faux-leatherbound look made it seem like you were really going on an adventure. Plus the manual was filled with a lot of information and was more or less a player's guide up to the first gem. It was filled with artwork of Pokemon, had the type chart, and even a mini Pokedex in the back but with purposefully missing Pokemon.

Also let's share some more Sugimori retro art, but this time of characters.

It's crazy to see how much his art has changed over the years.

blamite

One thing I haven't seen mentioned here: Pokemon R/B has one of the greatest instruction manuals of all time.

First of all, it looked like a real guide that someone would have in the game. The faux-leatherbound look made it seem like you were really going on an adventure. Plus the manual was filled with a lot of information and was more or less a player's guide up to the first gem. It was filled with artwork of Pokemon, had the type chart, and even a mini Pokedex in the back but with purposefully missing Pokemon.

Yep, I love that manual. It perfectly captured the feel of leaving on an adventure with nothing but a Pokemon, your backpack, and a leather notebook that's been lost over the years the more friends and gadgets they give you.

I still like the modern games but it's definitely a totally different atmosphere now than back then. I think Iwata described the Gen 1 game best in the Iwata Asks for B/W as the story about a kid catching bugs over the summer.

I have that Charizard EX! Actually, I went through a terrible thunderstorm to get it.

When I was a child, I use to have a phobia of thunderstorms which is now gone. Anyhow, I went riding with my mother to Walmart since a thunderstorm was very close and for some reason I felt safer in the car. We got to an underpass and the car started shaking left and right, because the wind was blowing crazy, I thought it was a tornado. It died down after a few minutes but it was still raining pretty bad. We went to one Walmart, but the power went out as we arrived. So, we drove to another one, and the power was on so we went in. I kept thinking I wasn't going to get anything rare, and someone told me "Watch. You'll get like Charizard EX or something" and I laughed, but when I opened the package, there it was, Charizard EX. It's been in my binder case ever since. I have never used it or let it leave the case.

The card is worth about 100$ last I checked. It's the EX version of the original Charizard. I ought to post pictures of some of my cards.

That is a pretty cool tale, great find!

I have one of those gold plated cards from BK. Got it mainly to have a Pokeball on my desk, found it at a thrift store a few years back.

qq more

I always loved the RBY manual. It was pretty cool seeing maps of certain areas, I'm a big fan of looking at game maps (it was why I love the Sonic Advance portion of the Sonic Adventure 2 guide book so much).

Also I've noticed a funny error. The gym leader list messed up with the order a bit because Sabrina is listed before Koga... lol

The cover of the manual is awesome. "Trainer's Guide" and the design of it was pretty brilliant. It treats you like you're a trainer in real life. I wish they've done this more often.

Where did you get the full body pics of the Gym Leaders?

Kokonoe

Banned
I decided to take a few photos of some of my Pokemon cards, over half of my "rares" are actually in my decks, so this is some of my binder.

JPG Overload Commence!

Pokemon League book

iw753iPeWVAhG.jpg

Cards

ibnY9U75cHkyql.jpg
ivGA2gmlBbeM8.jpg

ibnpAgSM0vJqlA.jpg
ibmNKnP9MPoY1k.jpg

i6QgeXTGNObep.jpg
ioiO8GwqhX8Sf.jpg

iEZSxJw0pWUp6.jpg
iKiNh2LIsMZZd.jpg

iUZv1Y4aWlUFp.jpg

for Ike

isEp3uSefafS5.jpg

iIBq7Gv1ZJeGB.jpg

and my first ever Pokemon card from 1998...LOL

ibfyJaR5FjecN2.jpg

So good. And we can't have Golden Rod without this awesome Radio Tower song!

Lucky Channel

I use to play that like EVERYWHERE.

Those player guides are nostalgia bombs. I had like three or four just for Pokemon RBY alone. I also had this sucker:

http://www.oocities.org/thelegendarydogs/books/prima.jpg[IMG]

Also let's share some more Sugimori retro art, but this time of characters.

It's crazy to see how much his art has changed over the years.[/QUOTE]

Wow. So much character that's been lost. I suppose that's the price of something going mainstream. Anyhow, nice post.

Also nice seeing a clean Red cartridge.

Toxi

Banned
That look at your binder reminded me of something I always felt about the Pokemon card game.

FUCK. COIN-FLIPS.

Kokonoe

Banned
That look at your binder reminded me of something I always felt about the Pokemon card game.

FUCK. COIN-FLIPS.

lol

Yeah, they make some cards the gamble style, or you can just use cards that give you a consistent damage basis. It's up to the users choice in the end, but I don't generally use gambling cards in my decks either. lol

Cards like Jolteon for instance I don't mind since you get like 4 flips.

59XLLUq.jpg

Kokonoe

Banned
What happened to that Gyrados card? lol Neat collection though!

The coin are assholes in the TCG GBC game. :lol

It's gone through a lot over the years, but the one incident that did the most damage was I was at a daycare center and we weren't suppose to bring cards. (I was 9 years old at the time) Before I ended up getting caught, I stuffed the card in my shoe and essentially was walking on it for a few hours before I got home. When I finally got home it was scratched pretty bad. lol

Anth0ny

Are kids toys still banned at elementary schools? Pokemon cards, Gameboys and for some time Yugioh cards were banned at my school. Sometimes myself or other kids would bring their gameboy to school, and we'd make a circle all the way at the back of the school yard behind a tree just to play games so the teachers wouldn't see.

We were REALLY obsessed with games.

Ezalc

What is the name of this rom hack? Did it get completed?

Unfortunately I don't remember, it's been years and no I don't think so sadly.

The main reason I collected the TCG was for the art work.

Did anyone actually play the Pokemon TCG? I've never once played it, lol

A group of friends and I were actively playing it until a few months ago. I was trying to run a Crobat poison deck, though to be fair we used unlimited rules. I was in the process of making some evil status decks and shit.

qq more

It's gone through a lot over the years, but the one incident that did the most damage was I was at a daycare center and we weren't suppose to bring cards. (I was 9 years old at the time) Before I ended up getting caught, I stuffed the card in my shoe and essentially was walking on it for a few hours before I got home. When I finally got home it was scratched pretty bad. lol
Ouch, lol.

Are kids toys still banned at elementary schools? Pokemon cards, Gameboys and for some time Yugioh cards were banned at my school. Sometimes myself or other kids would bring their gameboy to school, and we'd make a circle all the way at the back of the school yard behind a tree just to play games so the teachers wouldn't see.

We were REALLY obsessed with games.
Gameboys were never banned here, but I recall the card games were at least.

Unfortunately I don't remember, it's been years and no I don't think so sadly.
Ah, alright. Thanks though!

for Ike

http://i.minus.com/isEp3uSefafS5.jpg[IMG]
[IMG]http://i.minus.com/iIBq7Gv1ZJeGB.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

I have that promo Arcanine too! :D

I don't have the second card though. I see the e-Reader stuff on the bottom, so that was after I had already stopped collecting the cards. I love the art on it!

Zalman

Pokémon defined my childhood. I can't tell you how important it was to me (and still is!) I remember getting a Game Boy just to play Pokémon. What a magical time.

While I've stuck with the series since the late 90s, there really is something special about the first couple of generations - and it's not just the games, but also the cards and even movies. I'm currently looking forward to X/Y, but this thread made me to look through my old cards. As a kid, I managed to complete all the first generation sets (Base, Jungle, Fossil, Rocket, Gym Heroes, and Gym Challenge.) I still have them in pretty good condition and looking through them really takes me back. I know these complete sets are worth a bunch of money nowadays, but I probably won't ever sell them due to how important they are to me.

I have so much to say about this franchise, but I'll just take one step at a time. I just got my account validated, so I'm very happy to finally share my thoughts on this amazing series. :)

Cess007

Sushi-Go-Round is the most memorable minigame of all time. Seriously, every time I think of Pokemon Stadium, I just think of that minigame.

For me, it's "Clefairy Says!"; we used to gather some friends and i and actually make tournaments on that single minigame, along with Rock Harden.

udivision

My contribution to Pokésociety!
I'm trying to make Pokémon into a 2D action RPG.
Starting from Bulbasaur and ending with giving up. <---hopefully that doesn't happen too soon....

Anyway, I figured you guys might be interested in the fan game. I'm hoping to release the first public version this Saturday.

Logo!
ibq07DG7unXwwN.png

...every last possible fan game name was taken. That's my excuse anway.

The first trailer. This should explain some things

and finally, screens:

udivision

^Thanks, although sprites from Mystery Dungeon should suffice. I don't think I'll get passed Gen I, much less Gen IV which is as far as Mystery Dungeon mons go.

Labrys

Man, I want to play my copy of Silver now, so many memories...
Especially in the music. Gold and Silver had some very nice tunes, and are probably the most memorable soundtrack from all the games. I even found a medley of all of them, here.

Of course, I'm super hyped for X and Y, and I love all generations of Pokemon, I think the second generation just gives me a certain nostalgia that's hard to shake. I remember finally beating Lance, yelling, hopping of the couch and running around the living room at my accomplishment. In retrospect it was extremely silly (although I did feel a similar way after defeating
Iris
in White2,) but I think those were simpler times overall.

Firemind

I'm enjoying everyone posting their collections.

For posterity.

I had so much fun with this deck. Professor Oak, the most broken card of all time lol. It went through a few revisions, after selling the bulk of my collection, but I regretted it and rebuilt it.

I remember I swapped for these to prevent being one-shot by Rocket's Zapdos. Best Sugimori art of all time. OF ALL TIME.

Rest of my unsold collection.

Unrelated, I also found my Saiyan style deck.

I remember Vegeta's Quickness Drill and Saiyan Truce Card were so good they got restricted to one per deck. Drawing infinite cards every combat. :lol

Poor Vegeta. Only gets Super Saiyan in his quote.

ektoll

Yes, yes, yes, a thousand times YES! Pokemon Red & Blue are my most preferred games ever! Oh god yes!

One christmas, my parents gifted me a red gameboy pocket with pokemon red, there are no words that can describe my happiness at that moment, no words.

I ran in the toilets and locked the door to avoid my little brother who wanted also to play. I remember hearing the "ting!" of the dropping nintendo logo while my brother is punching the door! :D

And the manual, I must have read it a thousand times, it was beautiful. Nowadays, when I see a poor black and white sheet of paper in a game case, I always think of the pokemon manual...

I played with my neighbour who had a N64 at Pokemon Stadium (but essentially the mini games) and Snap.
If Nintendo make a new Snap for Wii U I'll be all over it.

Tonight, I'm gonna go to my parent's house, in my old room and see if I can find some relics. :'-)

Forkball

I always loved the RBY manual. It was pretty cool seeing maps of certain areas, I'm a big fan of looking at game maps (it was why I love the Sonic Advance portion of the Sonic Adventure 2 guide book so much).

Also I've noticed a funny error. The gym leader list messed up with the order a bit because Sabrina is listed before Koga... lol

The cover of the manual is awesome. "Trainer's Guide" and the design of it was pretty brilliant. It treats you like you're a trainer in real life. I wish they've done this more often.

Where did you get the full body pics of the Gym Leaders?

You can fight Koga before Sabrina actually. Apparently the official listing goes Erika -> Koga -> Sabrina which is pretty crazy to me since I always assumed fighting Koga before Sabrina was quite rare, but many people did so. Kind of interesting that this fairly open path isn't really apparent in the other Pokemon games in regards to gym battle order.

I got the full body pics from Bulbapedia, which will be permanently open in a tab along with Serebii next month.

Wow. So much character that's been lost. I suppose that's the price of something going mainstream. Anyhow, nice post.

Also nice seeing a clean Red cartridge.

The old, simplistic water color style is great, but I still think Sugimori is a fantastic artist. You may say the newer art is too generic animeish, but the original art obviously has a ton of inspiration from Toriyama. Even though Sugimori has changed his art style, you can still tell it's from him. You can see more diversity in his art in the Erika pictures. The RBY art for her is nice but also pretty bland, but in the HGSS art you can see a lot of richness such as her more dynamic pose and the detail in her sash and headband.

Sugimori also did a ton of TCG artwork that a lot of people may have forgotten about, including Jesse and James.

Blaine-Quiz3.jpg

DJ_Mary_Sugimori.png

SugimoriJessie.png

SugimoriJames.png

Also did you know that the island Niue in the Pacific Ocean made commemorative Pokemon currency?

Niue_Dollar_Pokemon.jpg

YES SOMEONE AT SOME POINT IN HISTORY LITERALLY BOUGHT SOMETHING WITH A PIKADOLLAR

Rewatched the episodes in Saffron City recently, holy cow...how did they get away with that? Lol...those darn episodes are why my time with Pokemon as a kid was very very short.

MicH

I suddenly felt like getting some cards again and bought my first booster pack since 2003 or so (before Hoenn). So awesome. I recently learnt to actually play the TCG on the online site

Hopefully I'll get a chance to post my collection when I get home, but I have a burning question for you all.

In the anime, wtf was the significance of the GS ball? What happened when it finally opened? Who opened it?

backlot

Hopefully I'll get a chance to post my collection when I get home, but I have a burning question for you all.

In the anime, wtf was the significance of the GS ball? What happened when it finally opened? Who opened it?

They just dropped that plot line when the higher ups told them to hold off on Celebi stuff for a movie. They never really went back to it.

Kokonoe

Banned
I'm not really sure where they're from. My friends gave them to me. I had the card that came with them, but I've misplaced it.

EDIT: They're from here! http://www.etsy.com/shop/geekycutecrochet

Thanks for looking for me. Wow these rock. Bulbasaurus will be mine.

I drew this

1236860_10202068893302611_1735545707_n.jpg

Low quality, I don't have a scanner

Haha. Reminds me of when I use to draw Pokemon all the time when I was younger. I should get back into drawing.

gerudoman

Let me show you my Pokéma... my Pokédex.

The stickers were included with some popular chewing gums, strange since they were really cheap and back in the day every Pokémon related product was ridiculously overpriced. Despite being very frequent and popular there was a bunch of extremely rare stickers, luckily I was able to find all the 150 original ones. There was also a new collection with the Jotho Pokémons, but afaik not all Pokémons were included, The quality of the stickers was significantly better, the original ones look like shit now.

I used to carry it with me everytime I went out, the ritual of finding a sticker I didn't have, opening the album and sticking it felt like Ash opening his Pokédex to register the new Pokémon, lol.

The stickers were included with some popular chewing gums, strange since they were really cheap and back in the day every Pokémon related product was ridiculously overpriced.
Guys. Remember when pokemon card packs were like, 6 bucks?

And starter decks were 20.

Outrageous.

Kokonoe

Banned
I actually used to buy Pokemon booster packs for like 1 dollar at a shop called L Kings. Sad when it shut down. The most it got was 2 dollars for the newer ones.

Oh, and I remember going to a dollar general a year or so after the Team Rocket decks and they had those decks for like a dollar. Good stuff.

MAN! What happened to Pokeymanz. I use to be able to buy Pokemon cards like EVERYWHERE. Now I can only get them at like Target, Walmart, and SOMETIMES Walgreens. I use to be able to get them from corner stores, book stores, and all over the place.

Anth0ny

Packs of cards used to be at least $7.99 plus tax near my house, if not more. And almost always sold out. It was a treat when I'd walk into the convenience store and actually see some booster packs available.

I've recently seen them go for $3.99 at comic book stores. Times have changed!

Top Bottom