• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

10 most bizarre allergies (gallery thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gaborn

More than 50 million Americans suffer from allergies, but the root cause is not always pollen, peanuts and pet dander. These are some of the most common allergy triggers, but because an allergy is simply an immune response to a harmless substance, a person could conceivably be allergic to anything — even sex and water. Here's a look at some of the strangest allergies ever documented and how people cope with them. (Text: Laura Moss)

ice.jpg

All food and drink

This medical condition is so rare that science has yet to name it, but there are children who are so hypersensitive to food and drink that water is the only thing they can safely consume. One of the most severe and highly publicized cases is that of Kaleb Bussenschutt, a 6-year-old Australian boy who can eat only water, ice and one brand of lemonade. If he eats anything else, he develops ulcers and experiences agonizing stomach pain, so he must receive necessary nutrients through a feeding tube connected directly into his stomach 20 hours a day.

Doctors are baffled by Kaleb's case, but they think he suffers from multiple food allergies and severe malabsorption that makes his body unable to cope with eating food. Food allergies affect about 1 in 20 children, but the severity of Kaleb's allergy is extremely rare.

phone.jpg

Cell phones

Allergists and dermatologists are seeing an increasing number of "cell phone rashes," itchy, red bumps or painful blisters along the jaw, cheek and ear. But while it's often referred to as cell phone allergy, it's actually a nickel allergy. Increased use of cell phones has led to prolonged exposure to nickel, a metal that's often used in phone buttons, LCD screen frames and headsets. However, there are also people who may be allergic to the electromagnetic emissions from cell phones.

Nickel allergy affects about 17 percent of women and 3 percent of men — women develop cell phone rash more often because they're more likely to have been sensitized to nickel through ear piercing. If you develop a rash from touching money or from skin rubbing against belt buckles or the button of your jeans, you may also have a nickel allergy.

feet.jpg

Sex

Believe it or not, there are people who are allergic to sex — kind of. This rare allergy is actually an allergy to a man’s seminal fluid, a condition known as human seminal plasma hypersensitivity. Symptoms include burning sensations, rashes and welts, which is why the allergy can often be misdiagnosed as a sexually transmitted disease. The only real signifier of a semen allergy is that that symptoms appear within minutes of contact.

Between 20,000 to 40,000 U.S. women may experience human seminal plasma hypersensitivity, according to Dr. Jonathan Bernstein of the University of Cincinnati, but the cause of it is still being studied so it’s not clear if one person would be allergic to all men. Treatments range from always using condoms to desensitization by exposing a person to small amounts of semen and gradually increasing the amount as the body becomes accustomed to it.

kiss_1.jpg

Kissing

While a person can't be allergic to the act of kissing, a passionate liplock can be the kiss of death for someone with severe food, cosmetic or medicinal allergies. Close physical contact and the sharing of saliva can cause chemicals or food particles to pass between parties, which can be deadly if one person is allergic to peanuts and the other just ate a peanut butter sandwich. Such was the case of 17-year-old Jamie Stewart who went into anaphylactic shock and had to be hospitalized after kissing a co-worker who'd just eaten peanuts.

About 11 million Americans have food allergies, and as many as 200 of them die as a result of those allergies each year, according to the Food Allergy & Anaphylaxis Network. So what do you do if you love shrimp cocktail but your significant other is allergic to shellfish? Brushing your teeth or chewing gum afterward won't help, and doctors say the only real way to prevent a potential allergic reaction is for both of you to skip the food altogether.

water_10.jpg

Water

Considering the human body is about 60 percent water it seems implausible — if not impossible — to be allergic to water, but about 40 people worldwide have been diagnosed with the condition. Known as aquagenic urticaria, it causes the skin to break out in painful hives and welts when it comes in contact with water, and in severe cases, a person's throat can swell when they drink water. Michaela Dutton (pictured) a British woman who developed a water allergy after the birth of her son, drinks Diet Coke to survive — her body tolerates it even though it contains carbonated water. How do people like Dutton bathe? Quickly and carefully because even brief contact with water can cause a painful itchy rash that lasts for hours. Doctors aren't sure what causes water allergy, but some have hypothesized that elevated histamine levels play a role.

cold_0.jpg

Cold

People with cold urticaria are allergic to cold temperatures, and exposure to chilly air or frigid water can cause their skin to turn red, swell, itch and develop hives. While sucking on a popsicle or strolling through the frozen food section can be uncomfortable for someone with such an allergy, an activity like swimming in cold water can evoke a severe, whole-body reaction — leading to fainting, shock or even death. The cause of cold urticaria isn’t clear, but some people may have overly sensitive skin cells due to genetics or illness.

heat_0.jpg

Heat

Just as you can be allergic to cold, you can also be allergic to heat. People with heat urticaria develop itchy, red, swollen skin and welts when they’re exposed to temperatures above 109.4 degrees Fahrenheit. These reactions typically occur from an increase in body heat brought on by exercise, hot showers, saunas, blankets or even spicy foods.

exercise.jpg

Exercise

If someone tells you they’re allergic to exercise, there’s a slim chance they’re telling the truth. About 1,000 people suffer from exercise-induced anaphylaxis, a severe allergic reaction caused by physical exertion that may be related to eating certain foods or taking specific medications before exercise. Fatigue, itchy skin, hives and swelling of the neck, torso and extremities typically appear during or right after exercise, and symptoms can linger for hours. More severe reactions can include choking, vomiting, increased blood pressure and even death, so people with this allergy are advised to carry an epinephrine kit.

pressure.jpg

Touch

People with dermatographia are sensitive to pressure and touch, and depending on the severity of the case, even a slight touch can trigger an allergic episode that creates a raised, itchy red rash. It is unknown why this allergy occurs, but it's estimated that 2 to 5 percent of the population has it. Because words and designs can easily be scratched on the skin, the condition is often referred to as “skin writing disease.”

tech.jpg

Modern Living

Talking on a cell phone, reheating leftovers in the microwave, using a computer, cleaning the bathroom and driving a car are normal parts of living in the 21st century, but doing such ordinary tasks is painful for some people. A person with multiple chemical sensitivity experiences headaches and flu-like symptoms when exposed to anything from perfume to laundry detergent. Perhaps even more bizarre are people with allergies to electromagnetic fields from phones, computers, cars and microwaves.

Electosensitivity syndrome isn’t a recognized medical condition, and doctors say there’s little scientific evidence to support a link between electromagnetic fields and poor health. But many people claim to suffer from this condition and say they experience painful skin rashes, swollen body parts, headaches and nasal discharge, among other symptoms. Debbie Bird believes she’s allergic to modern technology and says she develops a rash and her eyelids swell whenever she’s gets in a car, uses a microwave or enters a place with Wi-Fi. As a result, she has transformed her home into an EMF-free zone, putting protective films on windows, using special carbon paint and even sleeping under a silver-plated mosquito net.

Gallery starts here

Doytch

I'm allergic to poultry. Gives me a stomach ache. However, I have no symptoms if I drink beer with the food. Not a joke.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Up until recently i was allergic to apples. I just started eating more and more of them gradually and then the allergic reaction stopped occurring. ( it also may have something to do with the lack of pollen in the winter, read something about seasonal allergies correlating with food allergies)

blame space said:
allergies are a figment of the liberal media and the food industry to scare you
i hope that's not something you really believe in. Because this is not the case. it's the other way around even.

MThanded said:
Up until recently i was allergic to apples. I just started eating more and more of them gradually and then the allergic reaction stopped occurring. ( it also may have something to do with the lack of pollen in the winter, read something about seasonal allergies correlating with food allergies)

allergies can come and go. Some can stay though.

RayStorm

Interestingly I kind of might be one allergic to water.
At least my skin looks somewhat compareable (a little less red) to the one exampled in the picture after being contacted by water.

Luckily it's rather minor, only when my body (excluding head, hands and feet) is contacted by water. And then it's just some slightly itchy and reddish swellings appearing for about an hour.

Considering that there have just been 40 diagnosed, maybe mother was right and I'm indeed special and should talk to my doctor about it?

Koodo

Banned
I couldn't help but lol at "allergic to exercise." Someone has a valid excuse!

Personally, I would die being allergic to water. It is my everything and my favorite thing. :c

JimiNutz

Banned
I used to box with a guy that was allergic to touch.

I know that sounds silly, but it's true, his skin would welt up if you simply rubbed your finger over it (like that picture of the arm in the first post).
It sucked for him because his face would mark up/swell up really easily even if he was taking minimal damage.
He was still a better boxer than me...but you wouldn’t necessarily know it if you looked at both of our faces after we'd sparred.

NutJobJim said:
I used to box with a guy that was allergic to touch.

I know that sounds silly, but it's true, his skin would welt up if you simply rubbed your finger over it (like that picture of the arm in the first post).
It sucked for him because his face would mark up/swell up really easily even if he was taking minimal damage.
He was still a better boxer than me...but you wouldn’t necessarily know it if you looked at both of our faces after we'd sparred.

hahahaha why the fuck would he take up boxing??

JimiNutz

Banned
blame space said:
hahahaha why the fuck would he take up boxing??

Why not.
I don't think he was ever looking to become a professional or anything, he enjoyed the sport and was pretty good at it.
Allergies be damned.

dvolovets

Very cool stuff, especially dermatographia -- didn't know about that one.

Personally, I have an allergy but I don't know what causes it. I'm guessing I have multiple ones. I almost always have a stuffy nose, ranging from barely there to weird "allergy attacks" that feel like a head cold but go away within 24 hours or with Benadryl. The strangest thing is, nobody knows what the hell I'm allergic to. I got a 'borderline' result when tested for allergies to household pets (cats tend to exacerbate my symptoms), but I also know that pollen and newly growing pine tree shoots drive me crazy.

Whenever I start sneezing like crazy 'round January, I know it's time to get rid of the Christmas tree. Hahahaha.

Jikagi

I think I have dermatographia but not really that much anymore. Sometimes my skin does do that like the picture but not recently.

FOOTE

My baby brother is allergic to almost all food, but his case is not as severe as the kid in the op. Chicken(boiled and skinless with sea salt) is his major source of protein, he can have plainly baked potatos, and 7 up. He also can eat pears, and possibly pineapples. All of his other food must be specially ordered to avoid things like gluten and soy.

I'll never forget how miserable he was as a baby before the doctors figured out what he could and couldn't have. He's a pretty normal child besides all of that, and one hell of a gamer for 7 years old.

whitehawk said:
I'm allergic to apples :(
Me too! High Five!

edit: also Pears, Kiwi, Plums, and soy milk/ soy based products. Not deathly allergic, my throat/mouth just starts to itch like crazy. Although the reaction goes away after about 30 min.

I used to be able to eat apples when I was little... :(

whitehawk

Banned
Foxy Fox 39 said:
Me too! High Five!

edit: also Pears, Kiwi, Plums, and soy milk/ soy based products. Not deathly allergic, my throat/mouth just starts to itch like crazy. Although the reaction goes away after about 30 min.

I'm also allergic to Pears too! *high five*

What happens to me though I will get diarrhea if I eat apples, pears or peaches.

I developed an allergy a few years ago to the cold, like in the OP. It's fairly mild, at worst when I'm out in frigid cold temperatures for long periods of time I get covered with lots of little hives for a few minutes when I warm up, and I feel itchy. It's an embarrassing inconvenience at worst, but it makes catching the bus in the winter awkward.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Wow, and I thought my allergies were bad. Dogs, Cats (especially cats!), Feathers, Grass, Mold.

I guess I just got the "usual" allergies.

whitehawk said:
I'm also allergic to Pears too! *high five*

What happens to me though I will get diarrhea if I eat apples, pears or peaches.

:(

.....wait a minute....sounds like an awesome substitute for laxatives!

Arthrus

Not necessarily an allergy, but my lab partner is friends with a guy who gets brutal migraines every time he ejaculates. I wouldn't wish that on anyone.

I have that cold allergy. Got to go home a couple times in high school because the gym teacher decided to take us outside in cold ass weather

SaskBoy

Holy shit! I am allergic to apples to!

Whenever I eat apples the back of my throat gets irritated and itchy. It's weird though because I can eat apple pie fine, just raw apples bother me.

I also can't eat hazelnuts or cherries.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Foxy Fox 39 said:
Me too! High Five!

Ditto. Then i said effffff you apples!!!!! I uppercutted them and made them my biotch.

SaskBoy said:

Whenever I eat apples the back of my throat gets irritated and itchy. It's weird though because I can eat apple pie fine, just raw apples bother me.

I think we are on to an apple conspiracy here.

MThanded said:
Ditto. Then i said effffff you apples!!!!! I uppercutted them and made them my biotch.
I may need to try this approach. Although I'm scared after continual consumption my throat will explode.
SaskBoy said:

This is getting creepy man. Same. Although cherries and nuts are are a more mild reaction. If these are processed or broken down, heated or whatever I can eat them too. I just can't eat em raw like u mentioned.

I'm actually scared now. Has modern society and hybrid foods ruined our pallets?!

Levi

Banned
Once I threw up after eating hot dogs (I was 6 or 7) and I was convinced I was allergic to hot dogs and refused to eat them for years, even though my ma told me over and over that it was impossible to be allergic to hot dogs. Looks like we were both wrong.

I used to have pet allergies but I love kitties so much I just lived with the swollen itchy eyes after cuddling that now I am only rarely affected.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom