• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2013 High-Res PC Screenshot Thread of Let the JPEG Die Already

I am, visually they are much more entertaining than BF4's white coated map.

I think BF4s current effects quality makes its performance questionable (unlike Crysis 1... where it made sense how it performed). Obviously it will get better, but if the game remains similar looking from beta to retail... it would be really disappointing. It basically looks like BF3 with the occasional tiny bit of bokeh...

10119558716_1f94231fd4_o.jpg
10119449604_7060fb3908_o.jpg
10119453214_21a6c30d84_o.jpg

Obviously it will get better, but if the game remains similar looking from beta to retail... it would be really disappointing. It basically looks like BF3 with the occasional tiny bit of bokeh...

Don't forget really shoddy cubemap reflections.

MrBig

So maybe we will see some better quality AA methods popping up in PC games after all. And I hope that we do.

All the methods I know of are either, basically, simply SS based or blur the edges, and I don't think any new method is going to come out and completely fix everything. I feel that the only way this is ever going to be solved in the short term is just with higher dpi monitors, and with 4K going towards consumer affordability soon it should get better. In some games I don't even have to use any AA at ~110dpi (27" 1440p), and when I do 2x MSAA or a 1.5x SSAA is sufficient to fix any glaring issues, unless my objective is purely to indulge in staring at pixels.

What yo do you want in Battlefield 4 in terms of graphics? I'm not saying improvement is impossible, but it's looking pretty good for being a massive multiplayer-game.

Per object motion blur, SSR on all glossy and reflective surfaces right (now in the beta there seems to only be cubemaps, ugly cubemaps), parallax occlusion mapping (instead of just normal mapping)...
You know.. stuff like that :p

I think BF4s current effects quality makes its performance questionable (unlike Crysis 1... where it made sense how it performed). Obviously it will get better, but if the game remains similar looking from beta to retail... it would be really disappointing. It basically looks like BF3 with the occasional tiny bit of bokeh...

Exacly my feelings, I truly believe that if we show some BF3 screenshots mixed along with BF4, and no identification, people couldnt distinguish both games.

I still hope it looks way different (and much more optimized) in the retail version.

I think BF4 also has better particles and higher-res textures, which still doesn't justify the terrible performance.

Anteater

oh I got the camera mod to work :D had to edit the config file and enable the on foot option. I really hate the duplicate signs in Sleeping Dogs, I don't have a problem with reusing them, but I've seen quite a few being used like 3 times within the same block >_>
In the first shot there's a sign being duplicated 4 times.

hkship.exe_dx11_20131ncsng.png

hkship.exe_dx11_20131kwszl.png

BONKERS

All the methods I know of are either, basically, simply SS based or blur the edges, and I don't think any new method is going to come out and completely fix everything. I feel that the only way this is ever going to be solved in the short term is just with higher dpi monitors, and with 4K going towards consumer affordability soon it should get better. In some games I don't even have to use any AA at ~110dpi (27" 1440p), and when I do 2x MSAA or a 1.5x SSAA is sufficient to fix any glaring issues, unless my objective is purely to indulge in staring at pixels.

DPI won't solve the issue really. It's still there. Higher resolution doesn't necessarily mean less aliasing either. 1080p with no AA can look just a bad as 720p with no AA. Same with any resolution.

Stuff like SMAA 4x and SGSSAA are what really need to be adopted widespread because they give the best results for the least cost.

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3741/10124929335_369d16f27a_o.png[img]

[img]http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3802/10124925065_c013c2cf90_o.png[img][/QUOTE]

I played this on the Xbox, is that ugly dust-filter in the PC version too? I think I can see it on your shots, but it's more noticeable down in the alleyways.

DPI won't solve the issue really. It's still there. Higher resolution doesn't necessarily mean less aliasing either.

It very much does mean less aliasing. Aliasing is, at its simplest, visual/audio whatever, a product of the ability to represent a curve via samples. Higher resolution = less aliasing. Anything else is better described as what it actually is: anti-aliasing. MSAA and SSAA just increase the samples, and SMAA just interpolates them. Suggesting only AA techniques is like suggesting you don't use higher sample frequencies for audio recording, you just fix it with a granular filter. No replacement for displacement... kinda.. :p

I think shader aliasing is more of an issue these days, and that temporal aliasing is what is really the immersion killer, since we've gotten used to digital images in the last 2 decades.

Yeah, big blobs of light and neon signs tend to get some people all wound up.

Also, is there a portrait mode trend going on in here?

Yeah, it's been kicking up in popularity lately. Either rotating your monitor and running games in portrait mode, or straight up forcing a portrait resolution with pillarboxing (highest I can go is 2400x3200 for 3:4).

ninja edit: added another

Sethos

Banned
Yeah, it's been kicking up in popularity lately. Either rotating your monitor and running games in portrait mode, or straight up forcing a portrait resolution with pillarboxing (highest I can go is 2400x3200 for 3:4).

I call this one "the noob tuber"

Ah I see, they look good :)

ninja edit: added another

Really like that second one.

A quick note that I'll probly also add to the compendium:

I was having a hard time getting portrait res's of any high value to work on my monitor. It would stubbornly refuse even though the total pixel count would be below my max (~9mil at 2400p).
But then, as a test, I lowered the active pixels horizontal value, thinking maybe that it should reflect the actual AR (i.e it said 1920x1200, i made it 960x1200). This produced a different result, but it didn't work until I used 1440x1200.

So the point is, if you want to try and crank up your portrait res (one that doesnt rotate with your screen), try lowering the active pixels value. The problem is I have no guideline for this. Your mileage may vary. I wonder what the overall implications of that is...

midhras

To get the Hangar Module you need to buy a game package that allows you access. Currently, the module is glitchy and doesn't offer very much with regard to gameplay -- you can only walk around or enter the ship you bought in the hangar you paid for

Check it out here.

Darkdeus

So i was inspired by PhilGPT's awesome GTA 4 shots to go back to the game again. This time I downgraded the steam version and installed a proper ENB. I wish I could push it past 4K but I'm running into issues with textures disappearing. Only having 1.2 gb of vram is really annoying.

GTA 4 downsampled from 4K with Simple ENB by Danvsw.

10123116845_1e3335eb9f_o.jpg

10123068224_9330f266d9_o.jpg

Spazznid

10129410426_45e901a114_o.png

10129407486_8632b00507_o.png

A good Spectator mode can make things so much more enjoyable!
Also, is there a way you guys are getting such low FOV shots? Or is it just sniper? (Does the rifle scope count as UI? 2D/3d?)

Awesome BF4 shots! I really like that second one too.

Thanks much! I wish there was a Replay feature, so many moments lost to bad timing, but I'll take what I can get.

Top Bottom