• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2013 High-Res PC Screenshot Thread of Let the JPEG Die Already

Also, is there a way you guys are getting such low FOV shots? Or is it just sniper? (Does the rifle scope count as UI? 2D/3d?)

The minimum FOV is too high for wide aspect ratios. Too stretched. I used a full screen resolution (3840x2160) used SweetFX to emulate letterboxing.

60 vertical is awfully high for a MINIMUM fov. Especially for screenshots. But what can you do :(

iEvYqotjYV7wP.jpg

iN6jJpCRQgnu.jpg

BONKERS

So i was inspired by PhilGPT's awesome GTA 4 shots to go back to the game again. This time I downgraded the steam version and installed a proper ENB. I wish I could push it past 4K but I'm running into issues with textures disappearing. Only having 1.2 gb of vram is really annoying.

GTA 4 downsampled from 4K with Simple ENB by Danvsw.

Try downsampling with FXAA or SMAA. It will really help with the aliasing. It's not perfect. But IQ is very good.

You press escape and time the screenshot as its fading in.

Been having too much fun to bother spectating for screenshots. Just watching the game in specator mode makes me want to join as a player. I just hope I don't become to sick of the map before the beta ends and never play it after release. Caspian Border had that effect on me. Though this map is much larger and more interesting. So many ways to get around and attack capture zones.

Spazznid

You press escape and time the screenshot as its fading in.

Been having too much fun to bother spectating for screenshots. Just watching the game in specator mode makes me want to join as a player. I just hope I don't become to sick of the map before the beta ends and never play it after release. Caspian Border had that effect on me. Though this map is much larger and more interesting. So many ways to get around and attack capture zones.

It's also a much better designed level, if I do say so myself. Everything pretty much flows, and getting around is much less annoying. Dice learns, it would seem. Let's hope the other maps are as good. I remember when BF3 came out and wondering why they chose Metro of all maps to showcase the game and test. This map feels better than most of BF3's maps, so hopefully it means good things for the rest.

My only gripe, and something I noticed in a strange, 4th wall kind of moment after many hours of play, is the iron-clad immobility of say, mannequins and store props.

Thorgal

Also i would like an opinion on this shot .
I decided to try the Dof in this ENB but i am not exactly an expert on DOF so can anyone tell me if this is a good or horrendous implementation of it ?

gtaiv2013-10-0718-48-iiso1.png

Thanks man,

Guy yoinked it out of GRiD 2 ( http://www.gta4-mods.com/vehicles/zenvo-st1-f23828 )

Aha. I did not get far enough in that game it seems. I can't imagine what they modeled the handling after.. haha.

Also i would like an opinion on this shot .
I decided to try the Dof in this ENB but i am not exactly an expert on DOF so can anyone tell me if this is a good or horrendous implementation of it ?

gtaiv2013-10-0718-48-iiso1.png

It's very subjective. "Realistically", what you've achieved here is a Tilt Shift photo, as its a distant focal length, but a small DoF. A normal lens would have all of the helicopter in focus, or all of it out of focus (in most case. maybe a crazy low aperture telephoto lens would get a bit of the end/front out of focus).

If you want to model the dof after real cameras, and if GTA's dof works like that ( a plane of focus that moves around and can be made smaller or wider I'm assuming), imagine this:
dof_aperturediagram.png

In that instance its really only showing a larger or smaller aperture, so more or less blurring (spread of the cone), but you can imagine how if you moved the focal point closer or further it'd also mess with the spread/blurring. For instance, if it was very close, the background would be very blurry (spread), and if it was far, not so much (cause the cone is small).

I'd just suggest to try to keep things natural looking, and thus some what adherent to that diagram. But, you can do whatever! Tilt shift is cool too :p

If there's a way to bring the MindstalkerDoF prepass thing from skyrim into GTA, its a pretty damn excellent model of real DoF.

Spazznid

Aha. I did not get far enough in that game it seems. I can't imagine what they modeled the handling after.. haha.

It's very subjective. "Realistically", what you've achieved here is a Tilt Shift photo, as its a distant focal length, but a small DoF. A normal lens would have all of the helicopter in focus, or all of it out of focus (in most case. maybe a crazy low aperture telephoto lens would get a bit of the end/front out of focus).

If you want to model the dof after real cameras, and if GTA's dof works like that ( a plane of focus that moves around and can be made smaller or wider I'm assuming), imagine this:
dof_aperturediagram.png

In that instance its really only showing a larger or smaller aperture, so more or less blurring (spread of the cone), but you can imagine how if you moved the focal point closer or further it'd also mess with the spread/blurring. For instance, if it was very close, the background would be very blurry (spread), and if it was far, not so much (cause the cone is small).

I'd just suggest to try to keep things natural looking, and thus some what adherent to that diagram. But, you can do whatever! Tilt shift is cool too :p

If there's a way to bring the MindstalkerDoF prepass thing from skyrim into GTA, its a pretty damn excellent model of real DoF.

1199.gif

Anteater

Also FFXIV people, are you just switching to 4k to take screenshots? In the beta actually playing and downsampling from such a resolution was unplayable due to the UI size

Most likely, that's what I do, I don't know why they won't just let you configure the UI resolution separately like they did with XI and 1.0.

kqgaming

Banned
Also FFXIV people, are you just switching to 4k to take screenshots? In the beta actually playing and downsampling from such a resolution was unplayable due to the UI size

i do and sometimes higher than 4k for screenshots

i love how the game work with any resolution you throw at it without messing up the AR

Top Bottom