• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2013 High-Res PC Screenshot Thread of Let the JPEG Die Already

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
10259541543_c459c4a2b2_o.png

10259543833_4b34cc952b_o.png

Blizzard

Banned
Two things:

1. What's Anthemios? Google didn't really help me out since it seemed to be returning some sort of college fraternity stuff.

2. If you don't mind, please don't make the images themselves link to a website. You can provide the URLs separately, but if you make the images also links, it means that when people click to maximize the image, it opens the website which is annoying.

midhras

Two things:

1. What's Anthemios? Google didn't really help me out since it seemed to be returning some sort of college fraternity stuff.

2. If you don't mind, please don't make the images themselves link to a website. You can provide the URLs separately, but if you make the images also links, it means that when people click to maximize the image, it opens the website which is annoying.

God sorry. I keep forgetting that for here. Getting those links from Flickr has become so much of an automatism for me it's hard to stop doing it. Amends!

And yeah, everybody into screenshooting is doing theirselves a disservice if not taking note at least of what Anthemios is doing. He doesn't seek the limelight, but he is one of the most crafty people doing screenshots. You may have seen his Fallout shots. Or TV ENB. Or his Great Library of Anthemios. All very worth your while.

He's been tinkering at this Crysis level - on and off - for ages, and it shows:

10259234374_8c2ab8487d_o.png

So there are these windows with a nifty texture. When you look through them, you get a kinda this sort of panted melty look.

10260218283_3087a68465_o.jpg

10260221353_57d2b0dfb7_o.jpg

I want to enable that effect everywhere.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
I didn't buy it, precisely because of the shitty port. I'm annoyed mostly because it's such pity: in essence it seems like a genuinely enjoyable game, even if not stellar.

Are you honestly dismissing the game entirely because... the textures aren't nice enough?

Those priorities seem way out of whack.

Also, low res textures don't make it a "shitty port." That's ridiculous. If the game plays well and it's an enjoyable experience to take part in, the visuals don't have to be absolutely stellar.

midhras

Are you honestly dismissing the game entirely because... the textures aren't nice enough?

Those priorities seem way out of whack.

Also, low res textures don't make it a "shitty port." That's ridiculous. If the game plays well and it's an enjoyable experience to take part in, the visuals don't have to be absolutely stellar.

I'm not dismissing it entirely, of course. I mean, I bought Dark Souls entirely for the gameplay even though it was a problematic port, and I generally feel gameplay > looks (but not always). I'm entirely let down about the slapdash quality of the release I'm bashing though. I never said it was a shitty game, but I think it was unjustly marketed as being visually impressive. I was obviously not clear in getting that across. If you're saying the game has the looks, I'd like to see that you've actually given it a good try.

Also, the textures aren't just not 'nice enough', but atrocious. When I say I think it's a shitty port, I mean that they're ignoring a large part of what is the PC's appeal, besides opening up the game for a wider audience.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
I'm not dismissing it entirely, of course. I mean, I bought Dark Souls entirely for the gameplay even though it was a problematic port, and I generally feel gameplay > looks (but not always). I'm entirely let down about the slapdash quality of the release I'm bashing though. I never said it was a shitty game, but I think it was unjustly marketed as being visually impressive. I was obviously not clear in getting that across. If you're saying the game has the looks, I'd like to see that you've actually given it a good try.

Also, the textures aren't just not 'nice enough', but atrocious. When I say I think it's a shitty port, I mean that they're ignoring a large part of what is the PC's appeal, besides opening up the game for a wider audience.

I haven't played the game personally, nor have I seen anything other than screenshots of the game.

But - from the screenshots I've seen I think the textures are totally serviceable. I won't pretend they're amazing or anything like that, but they do their job well enough.

The reason I even responded to that post is because you did seem to be letting off an air of "this game looks interesting but I won't buy it because the textures aren't nice enough." with this part

I didn't buy it, precisely because of the shitty port. ... it seems like a genuinely enjoyable game, even if not stellar.

because before that the only thing you had mentioned negative about it was bad textures. I think the necessities for a serviceable port is that the game is playable start to finish, offering at least as good of an experience as the original it's being ported from. That means the game is offering you the same experience except on PC, and unless the original game was shitty, the port shouldn't be considered PC. Of course a lot could be done to make it a better port, but I think that shitty was being used a bit liberally.

Also though, I wouldn't say they're ignoring a large part of the PC's appeal, because the PC version does still look significantly better than the 3DS version - even just looking at resolution alone.

To keep everything in perspective, this is how the game is rendered on the 3DS.

OP1Xu.jpg

Compare that to PC

and I mean, there's without a doubt a visual bump.

midhras

Now were just mincing words but if you will: look at those boxes. Call it serviceable but that's just hideous.

I won't buy it because there's a lot of games that are at once better with respect to gameplay, as they are regarding for instance textures. Even by Capcom. There's only so many hours in a day, and when I have the luxury of choosing, I won't choose a port that's left out something they're obviously touting: superior graphics. And yeah, call me low-brow, but when I'm venting my frustration at big companies trying to make an easy buck: I'll call it a shitty port.

The game was developed using PC, then ported to 3DS, and then back to PC. If you're trying to push me the game using textures like it does, you're getting on my wrong side.

LuminatX

Neo Member
I figure I'll be the first to post some SNOW screenshots.
Game is still in pre-alpha but for a park skier myself, this is amazing! :D

10263781124_84ea0f2506_o.png

10263895945_330a463d03_o.png

I figure I'll be the first to post some SNOW screenshots.
Game is still in pre-alpha but for a park skier myself, this is amazing! :D

10263781124_84ea0f2506_o.png

10263895945_330a463d03_o.png

WHOA WHOA WHOA. Someone finally made a park skiing game? oh damn.

I've been wanting that for so long. Been a couple years since I was really doing it much myself, but I am getting on this immediately.

And cryengine no less!

Oh I could point out more than some boxes, but those eyesores in particular make my point most eloquently. I guess I was mistaken when I brought my beef to the High-Res PC Screenshot thread, though.

It's the "High-res PC screenshot thread" not the "high res of graphically amazing and consistent games with amazing looking boxes" thread.

Oh my god this game. The only thing in the way of making it perfect is the ability to offset the camera's center, otherwise oh lordy. Thank you man!

10265450996_e7cfa91fa3_o.png

10265466085_a519942a6c_o.png

Are you able to get rid of the HUD? I remember that being a problem in this game?

Those shots are just from the opening cutscenes so there's no HUD. But no, I haven't tried to get rid of the HUD in-game. I did try and disable the logos during startup but I couldn't make heads or tails of any of the files in the game directory.

MaLDo

I thought that seeing as your textures are replacers, his custom map got auto-replaced, same as it would happen in Skyrim or other games. But I know little of the ins and outs of Crysis modding.

That said, you should take a look at the map. It's not finished, but it's quite well put together, I think.

Some of them are replacers, but most of them are only into new materials defintions. When you are creating the map you have to use my materials or original textures will be placed.

Top Bottom