• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2016 Television Top 10 Lists

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lists need more The Good Place.
Flat out best new (US network) comedy in a few years.

The UK also gave us Upstart Crow (written by Blackadder cowriter Ben Elton, with David Mitchell as Shakespeare, an actress from GoT, and some guy inexplicably doing a character based on David Brent from the UK Office.

This year has been about Stranger Things, deservedly so (though I haven't started Westworld yet).

KdoubleA

Am I the only one who was really pleasantly surprised by The Magicians this year?

That, Mr. Robot, Stranger Things, Westworld, and The Americans were my favorites in 2016.

big ander

Lists need more The Good Place.
Flat out best new (US network) comedy in a few years.

I like The Good Place quite a bit but I think it's absence from lists is perfectly understandable—we've only seen half a season of the show and its heavy (for a network half-hour comedy) serialization means the quality of the show overall is dependent on how the season shakes out. List-making shows seem to more often have aired either a single full season in the calendar year or the back half of one season and the first half of the next. Easier to have a complete, confident perspective on the show that way.

Flavorwire (Lara Zarum)
1. Rectify (Sundance)
2. O.J.: Made in America (ESPN/ABC)
3. Insecure (HBO)
4. The Americans (FX)
5. Atlanta (FX)
6. The People v. O.J. Simpson: American Crime Story (FX)
7. Orange Is the New Black (Netflix)
8. Crazy Ex-Girlfriend (CW)
9. Fleabag (Amazon)
10. Difficult People (Hulu)
Hidden Remote (Reed Gaudens)
1. Game of Thrones (HBO)
2. The People v. O.J. Simpson: American Crime Story (FX)
3. Mr. Robot (USA)
4. Marvel's Daredevil (Netflix)
5. This Is Us (NBC)
6. Stranger Things (Netflix)
7. Marvel's Luke Cage (Netflix)
8. Better Call Saul (AMC)
9. Grey's Anatomy (ABC)
10. Atlanta (FX)
Pittsburg Post-Gazette (Rob Owens)
1. This is Us
2. People v. O.J. Simpson: American Crime Story
3. Game of Thrones
4. The Americans
5. Better call Saul
6. Gilmore Girls: A Year in the Life
7. Westworld
8. the Good Place
9. Full Frontal with Samantha Bee
10. Stranger Things
Time Out NY (David Goldberg)
1. Stranger Things (Netflix)
2. The People v. O.J. Simpson: American Crime Story (FX)
3. RuPaul's Drag Race (Logo)
4. Girls (HBO)
5. Full Frontal With Samantha Bee (TBS)
6. Difficult People (Hulu)
7. BoJack Horseman (Netflix)
8. Westworld (HBO)
9. Crazy Ex-Girlfriend (CW)
10. Broad City (Comedy Central)
io9 (staff)
1. The Expanse
2. Game of Thrones
3. Westworld
4. Luke Cage
5. Steven Universe
6. Stranger Things
7. The Good Place
8. Person of Interest
9. Supergirl
10. Ash vs. Evil Dead

Karu

So happy for every single, albeit few and far between, mention of Horace & Pete. And in this instance really no one can be faulted for overlooking it. Regardless, what an incredible show.

- Emily Nussbaum for The New Yorker: Hating Top-10 Lists: 2016's Best TV

It's not a traditional or ranked list, but she talks about Fleabag, Atlanta, The People v. O.J. Simpson, O.J.: Made In America, The Americans, Transparent, Search Party, Rectify, Crazy Ex-Girlfriend, Outlander, Billy on the Street, and Orange is the New Black as some of her favorites from this year.

Boston Globe (Matthew Gilbert)
1. The Americans
2. The Night Of
3. The Crown
4. Black Mirror
5. Game of Thrones
6. Fleabag
7. Atlanta
8. Westworld
9. Full Frontal with Samantha Bee
10. High Maintenance

Where people are clicking on IMDB:
IMDb’s Top 10 TV Shows of 2016
1. Game of Thrones
2. Stranger Things
3. The Walking Dead
4. Westworld
5. American Horror Story
6. The Flash
7. Mr. Robot
8. Orange Is the New Black
9. Vikings
10. Daredevil

*Among the TV shows in production during 2016, these 10 shows were consistently most popular with IMDb users as determined by the actual page views of IMDb’s more than 250 million monthly unique visitors worldwide.

Decado

Don't get the love for Atlanta. Gf and I watched about half of it and thought it was dull. Like a slice of life show. Not even worth watching as we ate. Dropped it.

Don't get the love for Atlanta. Gf and I watched about half of it and thought it was dull. Like a slice of life show. Not even worth watching as we ate. Dropped it.

All I can say is that, while it starts off as "slice of life", the second half is anything but that.

Voras

I'm glad to see Atlanta and the Americans doing so well. Both of those shows really deserve it. Also Mr. Robot. Love that show so much. At this point there is so much good tv that i don't really fault anyone for leaving things off their lists.

hydruxo

I'm glad to see Atlanta and the Americans doing so well. Both of those shows really deserve it. Also Mr. Robot. Love that show so much. At this point there is so much good tv that i don't really fault anyone for leaving things off their lists.

Yeah this is very true. We can all sit here and argue about what is and what isn't on these lists, but fact of the matter is we're getting so many quality series that it's impossible to fit them in a top 10 list.

KodaRuss

If any top ten list doesnt include Atlanta they are wrong imo. That show was just genius and great the entire way through.

Donald Glover is just an amazing talent.

Metacritic continues to compile Top 10 lists, and here's their aggregated mentions so far:

BQf0xn4.jpg

Also, Uproxx/Warming Glow (formerly Hitfix) put together their annual critics poll and here are the results:

OpGOlLh.jpg

Full results for both of these via the links.

Zalasta

I still don't understand how half seasons of a show such as This Is Us is qualified in a top 10 list. Can you rank a movie or a book by having only seen/read half of it?

I still don't understand how half seasons of a show such as This Is Us is qualified in a top 10 list. Can you rank a movie or a book by having only seen/read half of it?
It's an imperfect system, but no matter where you arbitrarily draw the line, there will likely be some shows that straddle the eligibility periods.

So many TV critic sites saying how no one talks about Rectify or how underrated it is but it's not in a lot of their lists. I guess it's one of those things that would be way more recognized if it was more popular.

So many TV critic sites saying how no one talks about Rectify or how underrated it is but it's not in a lot of their lists. I guess it's one of those things that would be way more recognized if it was more popular.

It's on that top 10 in the aggravate of critics, so it's definitely being recognized.

Sad to see that there are no mentions of Baskets anywhere. What a great surprise that show is. I really like Atlanta but Baskets is the best FX comedy imo.

I think Luke Cage didn't get enough love. If it's one show per "channel" then I see why Stranger Things was ranked higher, but Luke Cage was really, truly, incredible in my opinion. Great OST, great inclusion in the MCU, and really powerful imagery relevant to the current racial climate in the country. Can't wait for the Defenders.

Also, with the way things are going, I fully expect Arrow to show up in 2017's best as long as the back half of the season keeps pace.

big ander

Mhm it's awful. It's a result of so many "TV critics" just being bloggers who largely repost youtube videos of fan theories of whatever's most viral (ergo Game of Thrones and Stranger Things' high placement)

LotusHD

Banned
I think Luke Cage didn't get enough love. If it's one show per "channel" then I see why Stranger Things was ranked higher, but Luke Cage was really, truly, incredible in my opinion. Great OST, great inclusion in the MCU, and really powerful imagery relevant to the current racial climate in the country. Can't wait for the Defenders.

Also, with the way things are going, I fully expect Arrow to show up in 2017's best as long as the back half of the season keeps pace.

The second half of Luke Cage is why I wouldn't think it'd "deserve" to be on any Top 10 list imo

It's unfortunate too, because the first half was really good.

The Meta list has been updated a bit and the Top 5 is currently:
1. People v. OJ
2. Atlanta
3. The Americans
4. Stranger Things
5. GoT

FX shows occupying the entire Top 3. what a fucking homerun for them. They're dominating this decade in quality like HBO did the 2000s.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom