• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2017 Microsoft E3 Conference [Over]

What shirt should Phil Spencer wear today?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Purest 78

I guess I'm delusional but I thought it was a pretty good press conference. The console being $499 was a bit of a bummer but I was super impressed with the form factor of the console with how much horsepower it's packing. My only other negative was that they showed off too many games so it was a little hard to keep up. If they had cut out a little bit of the filler and slightly less talking I thought it would have been a great conference.

Highlights

Console Exclusives
Tacoma - August 2nd (Gone Home was fantastic so I have nothing but high hopes)
Cuphead- September 29th (Wish it was releasing sooner but I'm still stoked)
Forza Motorsport 7- October 3rd
Crackdown 3- November 7th (Terry Crews, collecting orbs and blowing shit up- sign me up)
PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds- TBA 2017
State of Decay 2- Early 2018 (Looked a bit rough but enjoyed the first one so my hopes are still high)
Sea of Thieves- Early 2018 (The demo at the conference sold me on this game. Seems like so much fun with friends)
Ori and the Will of the Wisps- TBA (Sequel to one of my favourite metroidvania's)

Console Launch Exclusives
Ashen- TBA
The Last Night- TBA (Serious Blade Runner Vibes)
The Artful Escape- TBA (Love unique games like this)

Third Party
Metro: Exodus- TBA 2018 (Loved the first two games and this looked incredible)
Assassin's Creed: Origins- October 27th (Very intrigued by the Ancient Egypt setting)
Dragon Ball Fighter Z- Early 2018 (Dragon Ball Z fighting game from Arc Systems- sign me up)
Middle-Earth: Shadow of War- Oct. 10th (Loved the first one and I can't wait for this one)
Life is Strange: Before the Storm- Episode 1 in August
Code Vein- TBA 2018
Anthem- TBA 2018 (This game looks stunning and looks like I'll lose hundreds of hours to it)

Other
Older games getting XBOX One X patches
Native 4K and 60 fps for Forza Motorsport 7 (for only $500 is insane)
Original Xbox Backwards compatibility (Crimson Skies hype!)

Overall 8/10 Press Conference- Really solid showing in my opinion

Battlegrounds is a timed exclusive as well.

Gestault

So wait I am confused. Did they do a U turn on having ALL XboxOne games getting an automatic upgrade on Scorpio?

Games have to be patched to support it, so its exactly like PS4pro now?

AFAIK, all games get the 16xAF and loading time improvements, and run at whatever the max dynamic resolution/performance they were designed around. Games can also be enhanced for XB1-X, meaning all the 4K perks.

Is Anthem the best looking game this generation?

Its releasing in Fall 2018. Let's not jump to conclusions. We have RDR 2, God of War, TLOU 2 lined up. For all we know, the game will be downgraded to hell. Horizon Zero Dawn is best looking console game released so far.

I am only talking about consoles. PC versions of Anthem or even Metro Exodus can look better than any console game. Again that is me speculating. Can't say anything before actual release.

AniHawk

i watched the full thing but kept it in the background.

reminds me of sony's conferences from 2-6 years ago. bloated with content with major announcements sprinkled throughout. nintendo's got the idea right of condensing down into a trailer sizzle reel basically with some other things to spice up the presentation, and sony's got it right in keeping a tight presentation with little room for presenters to fuck up the flow. there are other ways of delivering content and i think microsoft's stuck in the past.

i was also pretty fatigued by all the post-apocalyptic games one after another. super lucky's adventure doesn't look very good but god dammit if it didn't get me to notice a colorful platformer in the middle of all that.

xbox one x is for a very small segment of the consumer base. microsoft can check off that they have the most powerful system and it will probably get a lot of people excited (all that $499 is going into the hardware and not kinect, for example). what i don't understand is why they revealed the project 18 months ahead of time. maybe they caught wind of ps4 neo and started work right before e3 so it didn't seem like they were being left behind.

xbox backwards compatibility is a good thing. glad ms is on it. i think overall they have good ideas, but a lot of what they're doing is still hamstrung by the association of xbox one being microsoft as a second-place platform provider. whatever phil spencer is doing i don't think it has a lot of impact with the xbox one name. they need a fresh start.

Angel_DvA

Solid conference from MS in term of pacing, almost no talks and all games, the stage was absolutely stunning and the speeches were good but in term of MS content, it's very poor, not a single AAA exclusive announcement besides Forza 7, not a single new IP, no nothing.

I give it a 6/10.

KageMaru

Its releasing in Fall 2018. Let's not jump to conclusions. We have RDR 2, God of War, TLOU 2 lined up. For all we know, the game will be downgraded to hell. Horizon Zero Dawn is best looking console game released so far.

I am only talking about consoles. PC versions of Anthem or even Metro Exodus can look better than any console game. Again that is me speculating. Can't say anything before actual release.

Based on what we've seen so far, I would still put Anthem on top. Of course things can change and we still don't know everything expected to release next year.

Yeah very true, good to wait and see. I was just blown away by that gameplay footage. First time this gen I was that amazed by gameplay.

I enjoyed the conference overall. They showed a bunch of games (exclusive or not) and I think a lot of them have promise. Since they didn't show much of crackdown or cuphead we will have to wait for reviews. Would have really liked to see ori game footage but pretty sure everyone knows it will be great. The critics pre e3 said they didn't want to hear about halo gears and forza, and MS showed only forza. The critics said they just want to see games and that's what MS did. No surprises really and no big reason to run out and buy and xbox one x, but not a 3/10 like so many people are saying.

wachie

I find it super bizarre that in the lead-up to this conference, MS were flaunting the XB1X SoC, and that at the conference itself, a giant PCB was the backdrop.

Why the fuck would you flaunt electrical components at a video game conference targeting the masses? Of all the ways they missed the mark, this was the one that stuck out to me. I am a huge tech enthusiast, but jesus christ E3 is not where you flaunt that shit.
Microsoft is still chasing that PS Meeting from Feb 2013.

Liamc723

I guess I'm delusional but I thought it was a pretty good press conference. The console being $499 was a bit of a bummer but I was super impressed with the form factor of the console with how much horsepower it's packing. My only other negative was that they showed off too many games so it was a little hard to keep up. If they had cut out a little bit of the filler and slightly less talking I thought it would have been a great conference.

Highlights

Console Exclusives
Tacoma - August 2nd (Gone Home was fantastic so I have nothing but high hopes)
Cuphead- September 29th (Wish it was releasing sooner but I'm still stoked)
Forza Motorsport 7- October 3rd
Crackdown 3- November 7th (Terry Crews, collecting orbs and blowing shit up- sign me up)
PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds- TBA 2017
State of Decay 2- Early 2018 (Looked a bit rough but enjoyed the first one so my hopes are still high)
Sea of Thieves- Early 2018 (The demo at the conference sold me on this game. Seems like so much fun with friends)
Ori and the Will of the Wisps- TBA (Sequel to one of my favourite metroidvania's)

Console Launch Exclusives
Ashen- TBA
The Last Night- TBA (Serious Blade Runner Vibes)
The Artful Escape- TBA (Love unique games like this)

Third Party
Metro: Exodus- TBA 2018 (Loved the first two games and this looked incredible)
Assassin's Creed: Origins- October 27th (Very intrigued by the Ancient Egypt setting)
Dragon Ball Fighter Z- Early 2018 (Dragon Ball Z fighting game from Arc Systems- sign me up)
Middle-Earth: Shadow of War- Oct. 10th (Loved the first one and I can't wait for this one)
Life is Strange: Before the Storm- Episode 1 in August
Code Vein- TBA 2018
Anthem- TBA 2018 (This game looks stunning and looks like I'll lose hundreds of hours to it)

Other
Older games getting XBOX One X patches
Native 4K and 60 fps for Forza Motorsport 7 (for only $500 is insane)
Original Xbox Backwards compatibility (Crimson Skies hype!)

Overall 8/10 Press Conference- Really solid showing in my opinion

Tacoma is a timed exclusive, it's coming to PS4.

I rate it a 2/10 and an 8/10 simultaneously.

IMO it was so so bad for what it should have been and what it tried to be, but at the same time it had a lot of cool looking games and good moments.

Don't see a problem with this at all if the end product is worthwhile. You could use that same formulation for plenty of the best games ever made.

Eh ...true :)

Wow this is some grade A spin. Everything considered, Anthem was head and shoulders above anything we've seen. It looked so good I doubt it was really running on X hardware. You're definitely on a mission in this thread.

Head and shoulders above??

Are you referring to the shampoo, or are you feeding me hyperbole?

Horizon: Zero Dawn and God Of War PS4 are on the same level as Anthem and by the way, we haven't seen Call Of Duty: WWII or The Last of Us II gameplay yet...

Space_nut

Horizon: Zero Dawn and God Of War PS4 are on the same level as Anthem and by the way, we haven't seen Call Of Duty: WWII or The Last of Us II gameplay yet...

No they aren't no.....no.......oh wait.....no no

jet1911

Lots of cool stuff and lots of cool looking games but there was areal lack of "true" exclusives games/new IPs. But I have to say that OG Xbox BC almost makes up for it. That is an amazing news.

Gaenor

Banned
As far as exclusives goes, I'm in for :

• Ori and the Will of the Wisps
  • Forza Motorsport 7
  • Sea of Thieves
  • Cuphead
Not much, but at least I'm hyped as **** about those

Bummed about that 499$ price tag though.

This conference was such a bomb for them that refurb PS4 prices shot up about 10% once the conference ended. Last night I could find them for 305-315 pretty easily. Tonight, can't find a single one under 350. I might as well as just buy a new one.

You mean PS4 Pro? Cause Im selling my PS4 since I upgraded for closer to $200.

Mash83

Late to this thread but my biggest takeaway was no big aaa first party new ip. That's really disappointing. I was hoping for something new even if it was a small teaser.

Better than EA but not great. The only true exclusives were all already known games.

pixelation

I think the xbox team must be under heavy budget control. Told to make a success with limited resources. Hence few exclusives, few new projects in the pipeline, and a new console at cost.

Alternatively, they are just managing the portfolio rather than investing further in it, to preserve the brand and maintain its existing audience, to make it sellable to private equity.

If this is correct, they are doing the best they can in the circumstances.

But I cant see them getting market share with this approach, which suggests a steady wind down or sale of the division.

Good post... *rubs chin*

Jerm411

I think the xbox team must be under heavy budget control. Told to make a success with limited resources. Hence few exclusives, few new projects in the pipeline, and a new console at cost.

Alternatively, they are just managing the portfolio rather than investing further in it, to preserve the brand and maintain its existing audience, to make it sellable to private equity.

But I cant see them getting market share with this approach, which suggests a steady wind down or sale of the division.

You're probably right but then I see them roll out a brand new Porsche to the world, debut it fully, and announce a deal with them....and I'm sitting here thinking well that couldn't have been cheap.

Same with the Mixer stuff....

Just finished watching the show after coming home from work. That was about as "meh" as a conference gets. Not bad, but not all that great. Nothing but known quantities. Not all that impressed by "Destiny But Exosuits" at this point, but I for whatever reason I'm still willing to give BioWare the benefit of the doubt.

I will say I got legit emotional seeing Life Is Strange, though.

KageMaru

Why do I have a feeling that if they showed it at Sony's presser, you'd be singing a different tune? There isn't anything that matches it, at least from what we've seen.

My only real problem with this show is that it really felt overall like "hey, remember all those things that were announced years ago? They are coming out now." Not all entirely MS's fault, mind you.

"Remember two years ago when we announced Crackdown? That's finally coming out."

"Remember two years ago when we announced Cuphead? That's finally coming out."

"Remember two years ago when we announced Sea of Thieves? That's finally coming out."

"Remember two years ago when we announced Tacoma? That's finally coming out."

riotous

Banned

That's the opposite of what most companies do before selling; you get huge customer/subscriber/whatever numbers with less focus on the bottom line.

My only real problem with this show is that it really felt overall like "hey, remember all those things that were announced years ago? They are coming out now." Not all entirely MS's fault, mind you.

"Remember two years ago when we announced Crackdown? That's finally coming out."

"Remember two years ago when we announced Cuphead? That's finally coming out."

"Remember two years ago when we announced Sea of Thieves? That's finally coming out."

"Remember two years ago when we announced Tacoma? That's finally coming out."

Makes you wonder what the hell is going to be shown at E3 next year? An hour of Halo and Forza Horizon 4 and then another indie montage?

SOR5

Are we still, STILL dangling expensive cars for 10 minutes on the stage for the annual Forza announcement? Jesus Christ Microsoft, it's stale

Not the Forza series, their style of conference presentation I mean

Why do I have a feeling that if they showed it at Sony's presser, you'd be singing a different tune? There isn't anything that matches it, at least from what we've seen.

Honestly - I would have said the same thing.

It doesn't interest me even, in the slightest.

Graphics only get you so far and I can already feel the deluge of incoming "downgrade threads" at the next showing of Anthem "gameplay".

I didn't like Titanfall, I'm one of the few people on the planet that just really didn't get into Avatar, I didn't like Destiny and I certainly did not like Evolved.

What about Anthem sould I be excited for?

For the record, I even think the title is dumb. That, and the trademark "E3 presser voice-over" of two people supposedly having a conversation while playing said game, using blatantly scripted non-sequiturs and inane "spontaneous" diatribe. It's beyond played out and it's been around a decade since that wasn't cool anymore; so no, Anthem doesn't speak to me.

KageMaru

Honestly - I would have said the same thing.

It doesn't interest me even, in the slightest.

Graphics only get you so far and I can already feel the deluge of incoming "downgrade threads" at the next showing of Anthem "gameplay".

I didn't like Titanfall, I'm one of the few people on the planet that just really didn't get into Avatar, I didn't like Destiny and I certainly did not like Evolved.

What about Anthem sould I be excited for?

For the record, I even think the title is dumb. That, and the trademark "E3 presser voice over" of two people supposedly having a conversation while playing said game, using blatantly scripted non-sequiturs and inane "spontaneous" diatribe. It's beyond played out and it's been around a decade since that wasn't cool anymore; so no, Anthem doesn't speak to me.

I don't even know what the bolded means.

I agree that the acted dialogue in the demo was groan inducing. Reminded me too much about the Division demo played a while back.

Still we can look at a game's graphics objectively regardless of our interest in the game itself.

Gaenor

Banned

I agree that the acted dialogue in the demo was groan inducing. Reminded me too much about the Division demo played a while back.

Still we can look at a game's graphics objectively regardless of our interest in the game itself.

Looking at what the guy wrote today, I'd say objectively is not in his vocabulary (of course he'll claim he is, but yeah...)

NahaNago

The conference was put together pretty well but at the same time kind of underwhelming. There are several games i'm looking forward to because of the conference like ori, super lucky's tale, and the artful escape. The crackdown trailer was disappointing as well as the forza one. Neither trailers sold me on the game.The problem for this E3 though was that they had like no heavy hitters and the exclusive games they had, had very weak trailers to promote their games.

Polygonal_Sprite

Gold Member
The best Xbox conference in years imo. Only downside was the price of the X but meh $100 extra for all the hours of use I'll get out of it is trivial in the long term.

Quick off topic question. I recently got an Xbox One S and the top fan makes a little clicking noise. It's nothing major really just wondered if I have a faulty system?

Grinchy

Banned
A surprising amount of planning went into the conference for it to be so mediocre. I was very ready to be sold on a Scorpio. The specs are nice, but it pretty much looked like a $500 Forza machine. They didn't really show anything awesome about it.

Running a couple 3rd party multiplatforms at 4K is nice, don't get me wrong. I just wasn't convinced that I need to go out and preorder this thing since I don't care about Forza and Crackdown 3 looks like shit.

If this is true, they funneled what money they were given to all the wrong areas.

Imagine how many new games could have been made from the R&D/assembly costs of the Scorpio...

RoKKeR

I will say that it seems like MS is learning how to put on a better conference. This was a demonstrable improvement over previous years in terms of pacing, focus on software, and less on-stage bullshit / more straight trailers. Unfortunately, it also highlighted the large gap in their 1P portfolio...

My initial reaction was slight disappointment because we saw zero new 1P IP's or projects that were new/interesting, (Ori 2 is my most anticipated game ATM, but we knew that was coming) yet at the same time a lot of really great games were shown. It's just that none of them were true show stoppers while also being strong reasons to buy an Xbox.

That said, Phil name dropping 4A out of nowhere to lead into the new Metro game was a great moment for me as a big fan of those games.

*Then why did you bold it?*

If that exact same "gameplay" was shown at the Sony conference tomorrow, I would have said exactly the same things - that it's going to be downgraded, that it looks decent, but it doesn't interest me in any shape form or fashion. It looks like the 3 games and the movie Avatar I mentioned previously all mashed together - a concoction that I am just not interested in.

Yes, the target render gameplay does indeed look nice.

Looking at what the guy wrote today, I'd say objectively is not in his vocabulary (of course he'll claim he is, but yeah...)

You're cool.

Oh yeah I've already come to that conclusion =p

Good one.

Dodecagon

works for a research lab making 6 figures
Cross-posting from other thread :p
JmkSZum.gif

lord

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
I thought the conference was...passable..not bad but not great..and MS kinda needed it to be great.

They really really really need another 1st/2nd party AAA IP that will move some systems.

I'm getting the One X on Nov 7th regardless.

Sky Chief

Are we still, STILL dangling expensive cars for 10 minutes on the stage for the annual Forza announcement? Jesus Christ Microsoft, it's stale

Not the Forza series, their style of conference presentation I mean

Yeah, the style was just really stale. I think the Porsche reveal was the worst part "today you're going to see the reveal of this new supercar EXCLUSIVELY at E3". Every presenter sounded exactly like a Kyle Bosman interpretation of a cheesy E3 presenter. It was too slick and contrived and I think that style doesn't work with jaded gamers anymore. The style really put me off and they took so long at the beginning saying nothing and then some of the first games they showed just seemed Like same old, same old (Assassin's Creed) or just not that interesting. That was a pity because there ended up being a lot of good stuff butt it all kind of got lost to me because of the cringe worthy start.

If that exact same "gameplay" was shown at the Sony conference tomorrow, I would have said exactly the same things - that it's going to be downgraded, that it looks decent, but it doesn't interest me in any shape form or fashion. It looks like the 3 games and the movie Avatar I mentioned previously all mashed together - a concoction that I am just not interested in.

Yes, the target render gameplay does indeed look nice.

You're cool.

Good one.

Target render? Thought they said was in game footage from XBX during the conference.. maybe I need to go back and listen to it again.

jobrro

Crackdown 3 and Xbox BC were the highlights for me and always exciting to see shiny new hardware. Rolled my eyes every time they said 'most powerful console EVER'. You are releasing a year after the competition and your name isn't Nintendo, you'd hope it was the most powerful console!

Top Bottom