• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2017 Oscar Nominations

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why is Hell or High Water considered that good honestly?

Because it's a very good movie, one that is excelently written and perfectly captures the imaginary of western movies while being contemporary enough. My girlfriend hated it, so I guess you have to like westerns or movies inspired by them to like it.

shira

I'll also agree that Whiplash ending (and as a whole) was > La La Land

nobody watched whiplash

Does this mean Gosling and Stone are performing at the oscars? Maybe they'll have a fill in for those songs.

At least I think that the singer from the work usually does the song at the oscars.

Gosling live piano - doubtful
Gosling live mic singing - maybe
Stone live mic singing - maybe

If they haven't been prepping for a few weeks, it might just be a short dance number with recorded audio. If they have been prepping it could be pretty awesome.

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
Because it's a very good movie, one that is excelently written and perfectly captures the imaginary of western movies while being contemporary enough. My girlfriend hated it, so I guess you have to like westerns or movies inspired by them to like it.
It just seemed like the average western film to me. I mean I liked Djangoand Hateful 8. I don't mind western's I just think that it was good not great. The only great thing I thought was the ending, otherwise it was pretty cliche. I would have Zootopia in its place instead.

Iceman

...otherwise it was pretty cliche.

Woah, cliche? The dynamics between the main characters, Pine-Foster & Pine-Bridges, were intense, like time bombs or land mines. The setup and ticking clock weren't new, but the scheme to resolve them was. This was not some direct-to-DVD effort. This was really well crafted. The writer, Taylor Sheridan, is skyrocketing because of this and Sicario. These movies are not accidental successes built on cliches.

Aureon

Please do not let me serve on a jury. I am actually a crazy person.
How is Arrival any different from the couple of token populist noms every year though? This year it's Arrival and La La Land, but every year there are films like that, sometimes they even win. The Academy need these nominations to get viewers to care because if it's all "art" films which most people haven't seen, no one will watch the awards!

A Villanueve film isn't an "Art" film now?
What a world.

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
Woah, cliche? The dynamics between the main characters, Pine-Foster & Pine-Bridges, were intense, like time bombs or land mines. The setup and ticking clock weren't new, but the scheme to resolve them was. This was not some direct-to-DVD effort. This was really well crafted. The writer, Taylor Sheridan, is skyrocketing because of this and Sicario. These movies are not accidental successes built on cliches.

I really didn't see what was so special about their dynamics, seemed like pretty standard brother dynamics. I also wasn't really impressed between Pine and Foster
I extremely loved how there wasn't a shootout at the end of the film.
I also thought that
The brother and partner dying was obvious
. I guess the scheme and resolving it were okay, nothing mind blowing. I wasn't too impressed by the writing, it might be great, but it never stood out to me. I'm not saying that there is not a lot of talent involved, I just never saw anything that would push it over the edge, then again I said the same thing about The Martian last year. The best part of the movie was the cinematography, it was just so beautiful. I was surprised that didn't get a nomination.

Iceman

I'm not saying that there is not a lot of talent involved, I just never saw anything that would push it over the edge, then again I said the same thing about The Martian last year. The best part of the movie was the cinematography, it was just so beautiful. I was surprised that didn't get a nomination.

I'd say it was a unique voice in a sea of otherwise shallow products last year, particularly in the summer stretch. I wasn't at all looking forward to it myself. But it really grabbed me, especially as it started to turn white knuckle, down to the wire, mistakes being made, et cetera* and the not-unexpected climax started to unfold.

*(just saw Split so I'm not going to get that out my head for a while)

Manchester had a straight-forward story - in fact, told almost in a kind of M. Night fashion come to think of it - but that didn't stop it from being a tremendously compelling film. It all depended on the developing relationship between Affleck's Lee and Hedge's Patrick. Similarly, Pine's tense relationship with Foster - like a lion tamer trying to harness a raging beast - was a compelling dynamic. Maybe not for you, granted.

The top tier were the so called holy trinity: La La Land, Moonlight and Manchester by the Sea. But on their heels were Arrival, Hacksaw Ridge and Hell or Highwater. All unique voices that resonated with tons of viewers - for distinctly different reasons. Maybe the fact that the top three were super personal stories, crafted and told by their authors*, is what really set it apart from the next tier, which were all told second hand by two master directors and an up-and-coming director (Mackenzie with Hell or Highwater). Hmm, that just jumped out at me...

*(with moonlight only being a partial exception, as Barry Jenkins definitely married his own personal history with that of the original author, McCraney's, protagonist)

Laieon

Whiplash > La La Land

Can't say I agree. La La Land had much, much more of an effect on me then La La Land did.

Not a fan of musicals, but La La Land might be my 2nd favorite romantic drama now (Still doesn't touch 500 Days of Summer for me).

TheFlow

Banned
Can't say I agree. La La Land had much, much more of an effect on me then La La Land did.

Not a fan of musicals, but La La Land might be my 2nd favorite romantic drama now (Still doesn't touch 500 Days of Summer for me).
Some movies just resonate with some more than others. It happens. I am always prepared to tell someone why whiplash is the superior chazelle film. Just gotta pick the right battle

Go watch "the young girls of rochefort"

Not

Banned
Kubo with the Visual Effects nod, very cool.

Lol I forgot about Deadpool when I was reading. Can't believe that had a shot.

Ok, this thread goes in the "worst first post of all time" collection

Not

Banned
Hmm if Ryan Gosling wins I'll eat something I wouldn't normally eat

If that's an Oscar winning performance, I'm an Alaskan moose

mlclmtckr

Banned
I'd love to see Moonlight win the big one.

Mel ain't getting shit. Not in 2017.

It's nice and weird to see A Man Called Ove get a nomination, I loved that movie, although I gotta say the hair and makeup didn't exactly stand out to me.

"Your Name" (君の名は。) got robbed. Such a fantastic movie, definitely the best foreign and best animated feature.

duckroll

"Your Name" 「君(きみ)の名(な)は。」 (Kimi No Na Wa) got robbed. Such a fantastic movie, definitely the best foreign and best animated feature for people whose only foreign or animated film in 2016 was "Your Name" 「君(きみ)の名(な)は。」 (Kimi No Na Wa).

Fixed.

Gastone

Hmm if Ryan Gosling wins I'll eat something I wouldn't normally eat

If that's an Oscar winning performance, I'm an Alaskan moose

I agree. I didn't find his performance noteworthy. Hell, even the chemistry between him and Stone were lacking. It's gonna be a shitty Oscars this year.

eLGee

Yeah, but,

Whiplash > 99% of movies

I recently found out he was the main cop dude who got written off of Sons of Anarchy.

Good for him. Sicario was awesome, and I'll be watching Hell or High Water later this week with high expectations.

He was also one of the Irish gangster brothers in Veronica Mars!

Achire

I liked the ending of La La Land, but it is really just your run of the mill Woody Allen ending. See
Annie Hall, Manhattan
etc. If you want to see a film actually worth the 14 nominations it got, All About Eve is fucking great. Especially if you go in expecting just another Bette Davis film.

Edit: This was a poor choice of words, see Maridia's reply a bit below.

It just seemed like the average western film to me. I mean I liked Djangoand Hateful 8. I don't mind western's I just think that it was good not great. The only great thing I thought was the ending, otherwise it was pretty cliche. I would have Zootopia in its place instead.

I personally enjoyed the film because of its characters, dialogue, performances etc... Not to mention the cinematography was terrific.

mlclmtckr

Banned
Oh yeah, Hell or High Water. The stuff with Jeff Bridges and his partner was good. The rest of it felt like off-brand Justified.

Maridia

I liked the ending of La La Land, but it is really just your run of the mill Woody Allen ending. See
Annie Hall, Manhattan
etc. If you want to see a film actually worth the 14 nominations it got, All About Eve is fucking great. Especially if you go in expecting just another Bette Davis film.

Run of the mill Woody Allen ending? Well, fuck, that's even more common than the run of the mill Werner Herzog ending! Time to write this film off!

Maridia

If we could make all movies end like Aguirre, that'd be great.

Haha, yeah, that'd be amazing. I guess my point is, regardless of (and, perhaps, owing to) its similarities to the endings of the works of a great and distinctive filmmaker, the ending of La La Land is spectacular.

To the thread topic, this is probably the first time in years that I'd be happy with any of the "top tier" nominees winning. I thought La La Land, Manchester, and Moonlight were all great films. I'd probably rank them 1) Manchester, 2) La La Land, 3) Moonlight; but I can definitely see that order changing with subsequent viewings. I'm confident that each of them will be remembered as part of the filmography of a notable director.

KHlover

Banned
Kimi no na wa/Your Name got fucking robbed in the animation category. But hey, at least Suicide Squad can now be promoted as an Oscar-nominated film!

Great, right?
........ right?
Doesn't that movie hit US cinemas this year in the US? Did I miss an Oscar qualification release in 2016?

Merino

So pretty much all my favorite movies of last year got snubbed :eek:

The Handmaiden
Elle
Nocturnal Animals
Your Name

Haven't seen La La Land but looking at the trailer I can understand if that film sweeps all the oscars. Might have to give it a chance but it's exactly the kind of film that doesn't really do much for me (musical, old hollywood style).

Probably the only nomination out of this entire list that I strongly feel should win would be Isabelle Huppert for Elle.

Corpsepyre

Banned
Glad Viggo was nominated. Captain Fantastic was one of my favourites of 2016. Should have been nominated for Best Pic too.

I am yet to watch La-La Land, but I'm not into musicals. Also, the trailer made it look like Disney crossed with Bollywood, so that was a turn-off. But Whiplash is a fucking amazing film, so I don't know. Maybe it'll win.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom