• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

22 dead, 59 injured in Manchester Arena explosion (Being treated as an attack)

Razmos

You're probably part of the problem if you live in UK and have no idea of the culture.

How the hell do you live in a country your entire life ignorant of its culture unless you're in a self segregated community or a total shut in.

Do you even queue?
Queing, fish and chips, chavs? You consider those culture?

I'm not part of any problem thanks very much. I just don't see any culture worth protecting so much that it turns you into a seething racist and an asshole.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/201...hester/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

In the past 5 years, the alleged bomber was reported to terrorism-related authorities by:

• a local Manchester Muslim organization
  • his friends (twice)
  • his mosque (they also banned him)
  • his own family
Yet no one ever head anything back.

And:

Hopefully that's enough to silence people who say the Muslim community needs to do more.

Damn, there's nothing much else they could do, huge failure by the authorities.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/201...hester/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

In the past 5 years, the alleged bomber was reported to terrorism-related authorities by:

• his friends (twice)
  • his own family

And:

Hopefully that's enough to silence people who say the Muslim community needs to do more.
Just now seeing this, but this is atrocious. Also, I wonder if Fox News and related organizations have mentioned this.

MrBadger

• his friends (twice)
  • his own family

And:

Fucking absurd. But people saying "the Muslim community needs to do more" just want to blame Muslims for terrorist attacks while sidestepping the argument that most Muslims aren't terrorists.

Audioboxer

The police response has been pretty fantastic to be honest. 24/7 constant raids throughout Manchester since the attack. They've arrested a lot of people, hopefully they've got everyone responsible.

In the aftermath, for sure. In the space of days arrests into double figures and we have now seen the threat level lower. However, I posted some stats on the last page off the BBC

Security minister Ben Wallace told the BBC there were between 400 and 500 active investigations into people plotting or engaged with plots to attack the UK, covering 3,000 individuals.

There were also between 12,000 and 18,000 people in the same category as Abedi - those who had come to the attention of the security services.

"The scale of the challenge we face is the key," said Mr Wallace.

"When is someone boasting or when is someone acting suspiciously? The police and the security services always have to make that judgement call and that is a lot of people.

"We used to say that a terrorist only has to be lucky once. We have to be lucky all the time."

Given the alarm bells screeching at full volume around this terrorist and everything supposedly reported/known about him (and the network), we have to start throwing hard questions at the authorities as to why it's taken for over 20 people to be killed for action to be taken. Even with all the musings made in this thread about protecting everyone's rights and privacy, there have been points where the authorities have to either have been stretched too thin/ignoring information/not acting out of fear or something else.

Those numbers above are legit worrying. Are we sitting on another Abedi who just needs some more weeks/months to mobilise and/or jump abroad for a bit to then come back? Is anyone really confident this is the last homegrown terrorist attack we're going to see in the UK for the longterm future?

I've lived in the UK my entire life and still don't understand the "British Culture" that so many racists are trying to protect.

The Britain I know is multicultural and stronger because of it.

whats this garbage i'm reading?

Do scottish people not have any culture, i'm sure you wouldn't say that about scots so by british I presume you mean english.

Racists may say they are trying to protect british/english culture, but the only people who say what you said are usually morons on the far left or non native brits being racists towards brits.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
My dumb aunt is blaming the FBI for the leaks in a long tirade on facebook. There isn't any proof that it came from the FBI.

MilkyJoe

Do scottish people not have any culture, i'm sure you wouldn't say that about scots so by british I presume you mean english.

Racists may say they are trying to protect british/english culture, but the only people who say what you said are usually morons on the far left or non native brits being racists towards brits.
British isn't a race.

If you have to presume he meant English to make what he said 'garbage' maybe don't presume he meant English.

Manchester's culture is multicultural. Whatever it may have been in the past that is the culture it has had for decades. From the Curry Mile to Chinatown to Canal Street, if you think Manchester isn't a vibrantly multicultural city and that it's 'British' or 'English' culture needs protecting from anyone, then you don't remotely understand the city of Manchester.

And if anyone thinks other places becoming more like Manchester is somehow losing identity or culture, then they should take another look at Manchester.

Philly40

If you have to presume he meant English to make what he said 'garbage' maybe don't presume he meant English.

Manchester's culture is multicultural. Whatever it may have been in the past that is the culture it has had for decades. From the Curry Mile to Chinatown to Canal Street, if you think Manchester isn't a vibrantly multicultural city and that it's 'British' or 'English' culture needs protecting from anyone, then you don't remotely understand the city of Manchester.

And if anyone thinks other places becoming more like Manchester is somehow losing identity or culture, then they should take another look at Manchester.

You're either a moron on the far left or a non native brit being racists towards brits.(sic)

ermm I never said once britain or manchester for that matter isn't a multicultural city. The poster I quoted flat out said there is no such thing as british culture.

I find it bizarre that the poster thinks there is no such thing as british culture. I or the poster I quoted never even mentioned manchester.

Okay, British culture exists. Tell me some things about it?

It's fine to argue it exists, but just saying it exists without detailing aspects of it is pointless.

Dopus

Banned
ermm I never said once britain or manchester for that matter isn't a multicultural city. The poster I quoted flat out said there is no such thing as british culture.

I find it bizarre that the poster thinks there is no such thing as british culture. I or the poster I quoted never even mentioned manchester.

"The Britain I know is multicultural" was what they said. Hence why there isn't a 'British culture' per se. Or more specifically, they have trouble identifying it or understanding what the culture is that racist people who make a claim to protect 'British values' is.

There wasn't a mention that there was no such thing as British culture. In any case, this is a stupid discussion to be having. Don't get so mad over it. Also, they way you bring in the far-left is super weird.

Ashes

Banned
Okay, British culture exists. Tell me some things about it?

It's fine to argue it exists, but just saying it exists without detailing aspects of it is pointless.

I don't know about culture per say, but we can assess British attitudes... somewhat.

Traditionally, we liked tea. We prefer Coffee now.
We like pubs. Pub culture is dying.
The best selling newspapers are The Sun, and the Daily Mail - two of the most hated newspapers in the country.
Gay Marriage is legal now. Legal marriage is on the wane.
About half the Scots want to remain part of the UK. the other half don't.
About half the UK voted to leave the EU. The other half didn't.
Over 80 per cent say it matters that the food they buy is healthy. Obesity is at its highest levels.
Half the people in managerial positions consider themselves working class. Yeah.

Scottish culture is different to English culture which is different to Northern Irish culture.
Of course British culture is different to the UK, as the UK is the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.

Mikeside

I've always seen Britain as a land with pockets of culture.

The cheese rolling and oil barrel runs of the south west with their scrumpy cider, the spray on tans and high street clubs of Essex, the embrace of multiculturalism and business in London, the Scottish have their own quite proud culture and traditions (again, quite different from Aberdeen to Glasgow to the Highlands), the south coast has its own left wing boutique student thing going on, Yorkshire too, Carlisle, Liverpool, Birmingham, Manchester.

They're all very different places with very different cultures.

Multiculturalism with immigrant cultures is a big part of that but even just local history and custom are different enough to be their own thing.

Protecting British culture is a ridiculous thing because it's long proved to be able to defend itself and accept outside influences and additions from immigrant populations.

Tadaima

It might not always be easy to define but the idea that a country doesn't have a culture is ridiculous.
Yup. People who claim there is no such thing as British culture aren't very well travelled.

Culture encompasses so much. It is what makes the skyline of a city, town, or village distinguishable; a film, book, piece of architecture, fashion, meal, beverage, or work of art distinguishable; it builds upon the characteristics and achievements of those who came before and swings the opinion of those who are raised in that culture.

It's the big things and the little things. It's the physical or visual things and the unspoken things. It's the subtleties in discussion and debate. It's mannerisms. Humour. Humor. Linguistics. Gestures! The difference between a striked and unstriked 7. Traffic first or pedestrians first. Fork or fingers. It is every little detail in life.

Cultures are so distinct from each other that it is impossible to narrow them down with anything less than an encyclopedia.

Yet at the same time, a culture can be respectful and understanding of other cultures. British culture - and especially Manchester culture - embraces other cultures. It takes from those cultures and adds to its own. Those who live there are generally mindful and curious.

As a Brit living overseas (10 years in), I am swamped by these little details that make up British culture whenever I return to the UK. For those saying there is no such thing as British culture or laughing it off with "fish and chips and queuing", I highly recommend getting outside of the UK for a year or two.

Ashes

Banned
British culture is full of absurdities. It's a christian country made up mostly of non-religious folk. But most people most places kinda sorta celebrate something christmasy at the end of the year.

And if you want to talk about values... British values... hanging has been illegal 50+ years, Bringing it back is still very popular. Just shy of 50% of people support it in recent times. But that's better than the 75% that supported it in the 80s...

So the legal system objects to the British values system and has long waited for most Britons to catch up with it.

As a Brit living overseas (10 years in), I am swamped by these little details that make up British culture whenever I return to the UK. For those saying there is no such thing as British culture or laughing it off with "fish and chips and queuing", I highly recommend getting outside of the UK for a year or two.

Aye. Home is home after all.

Chinner

Banned
Panicked a bit before. I was in the Moss Side area of Manchester at about 13.45 and heard an explosion of some kind.
No idea what it was, but it's being reported on the evening news website.

Seems like it happened when they stormed a house. Apparently the person has been arrested?

Yup. People who claim there is no such thing as British culture aren't very well travelled.

Culture encompasses so much. It is what makes the skyline of a city, town, or village distinguishable; a film, book, piece of architecture, fashion, meal, beverage, or work of art distinguishable; it builds upon the characteristics and achievements of those who came before and swings the opinion of those who are raised in that culture.

It's the big things and the little things. It's the physical or visual things and the unspoken things. It's the subtleties in discussion and debate. It's mannerisms. Humour. Humor. Linguistics. Gestures! The difference between a striked and unstriked 7. Traffic first or pedestrians first. Fork or fingers. It is every little detail in life.

Cultures are so distinct from each other that it is impossible to narrow them down with anything less than an encyclopedia.

Yet at the same time, a culture can be respectful and understanding of other cultures. British culture - and especially Manchester culture - embraces other cultures. It takes from those cultures and adds to its own. Those who live there are generally mindful and curious.

I'm also a brit living overseas (in the US). Given the wide tapestry of culture in Britain and here in the states, I'm not sure I could tell anyone what *British* culture is.

Northern culture. Scottish culture. Welsh... London... Manchester... I mean, those I can isolate. But British? I mean as an umbrella term that encompasses all of the above... okay. But as a single notion that needs protecting like your BNP or EDL types might say... as something that someone could make a sound argument that we're 'losing'?

Then I have no idea or concept of what that could even possibly be.

You drive twenty minutes and they call a bread roll something completely different.

cartesian

Yeah, I don't think British culture is something the government should legislate to 'protect', especially if the suggestion is that 'protecting British culture' means deporting immigrants or other racist nonsense like that, but I think it's pretty ridiculous to suggest that there's no such thing as British culture.

I do recognise what the poster above says about breaking it down into Northern culture, West Country culture, Scottish culture, etc, but I think you could make that argument for any culture or nation.

Rural Anatolian culture is very different to that in liberal coastal cities like Izmir, but you can still say that there is such a thing as Turkish culture. Provencal culture is pretty different to culture in northern France, but again, I think there is an overarching sense of Frenchness.

Every country is full of contradictions and parts that can't easily be reconciled. And the nature of the United Kingdom also makes it pretty hard to disentangle Scottish, Welsh, etc culture. And if you insist that sub-UK phenomena can't be counted as British culture then I guess that makes it more complicated as well. eg. Can we count fish and chips as British culture or must we call it English? Is the love for the NHS a British trait or not (after all there is no NHS in NI)...?

For me British culture and life encompasses everything from curry and chips, to Doctor Who, sprinter trains rattling past five-a-side games on the local playing fields, the pips on Radio 4, a kebab on a rainy Friday night, Coronation Street, the Christmas copy of the Radio Times, an English breakfast in a greasy spoon, old counties with quaint names like Lancashire and Perthshire, red-brick terraces, ruined castles, Yorkshire Tea, cheddar cheese, the dulcet tones of David Attenborough, silently fuming over the prat on the phone in the quiet carriage, and moaning about the bank holiday rain...

And for you it will be different - it'll be things I've probably never noticed, but which are imperceptibly part of British life.

We're a multicultural nation, but immigrants expand and add to this tapestry, it's not as if they somehow delete it.

Yeah, I don't think British culture is something the government should legislate to 'protect', especially if the suggestion is that 'protecting British culture' means deporting immigrants or other racist nonsense like that, but I think it's pretty ridiculous to suggest that there's no such thing as British culture.

I do recognise what the poster above says about breaking it down into Northern culture, West Country culture, Scottish culture, etc, but I think you could make that argument for any culture or nation.

Rural Anatolian culture is very different to that in liberal coastal cities like Izmir, but you can still say that there is such a thing as Turkish culture. Provencal culture is pretty different to culture in northern France, but again, I think there is an overarching sense of Frenchness.

Every country is full of contradictions and parts that can't easily be reconciled. And the nature of the United Kingdom also makes it pretty hard to disentangle Scottish, Welsh, etc culture. And if you insist that sub-UK phenomena can't be counted as British culture then I guess that makes it more complicated as well. eg. Can we count fish and chips as British culture or must we call it English? Is the love for the NHS British or not (after all there is no NHS in NI)...?

For me British culture and life is everything from curry and chips, to Doctor Who, sprinter trains rattling past five-a-side games on the local playing fields, the pips on Radio 4, a kebab on a rainy Friday night, Coronation Street, the Christmas copy of the Radio Times, an English breakfast in a greasy spoon, old counties with quaint names like Lancashire and Perthshire, red-brick terraces, ruined castles, Yorkshire Tea, cheddar cheese, moaning about the weather, silently fuming over the person on the phone in the quiet carriage, and the dulcet tones of David Attenborough...

We're a multicultural nation, but immigrants add to this tapestry, it's not as if they somehow delete it.

And that I can firmly agree with.

It's fine to say all of the above, but if you can't talk about what a culture is in depth and explain it to someone who might not know what is it, does it really exist?

People like the idea of British Culture, but they can never seem to actually articulate what it is. We've been here for close to a decade. People screaming British Culture is eroding, ask them what exactly that is and they start to talk about how immigration is out of control and how there's too many mosques and halal food everywhere.

So just going by that, British Culture is basically being xenophobic and scared of change/coloured people?

FBI 'warned MI5 in January that Salman Abedi was planning terror attack in UK'
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...r-salman-abedi-manchester-arena-a7760756.html
"In early 2017 the FBI told MI5 that Abedi belonged to a North African terror gang based in Manchester, which was looking for a political target in this country," a security source told The Mail on Sunday.

“The information came from the interception of his communications by US federal agents, who had been investigating Abedi since the middle of 2016, and from information unearthed in Libya, where his family was linked to terrorist groups.

“Following this US tip-off, Abedi and other members of the gang were scrutinised by MI5. It was thought at the time that Abedi was planning to assassinate a political figure. But nothing came of this investigation and, tragically, he slipped down the pecking order of targets.”

FBI 'warned MI5 in January that Salman Abedi was planning terror attack in UK'
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...r-salman-abedi-manchester-arena-a7760756.html

CqmvjL0.png

I hope she gets raked over the coals for this massive failure of trust. How can you trust someone to keep you safe when they ignored so many reports?

Somebody has some explanations to give. Lack of resources is not a satisfactory explanation.

It actually is a satisfactory explanation. If you have X number of suspects and the one you're investigating isn't showing signs of overt extremism or behaviour that's a red flag for terrorist intent, you move onto other targets that are more pressing.

Fewer resources = less time to spend investigating targets.

Looks like British authorities dropped the ball here big time. He was referred to the authorities 5 fucking times and still they did nothing? Shameful.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
It actually is a satisfactory explanation. If you have X number of suspects and the one you're investigating isn't showing signs of overt extremism or behaviour that's a red flag for terrorist intent, you move onto other targets that are more pressing.

Fewer resources = less time to spend investigating targets.

So you investigate every suspect for few months and then they can do whatever they want? You don't even monitor them going in and out of the country? You find this satisfactory?

Theonik

So you investigate every suspect for few months and then they can do whatever they want? You don't even monitor them going in and out of the country? You find this satisfactory?
In practice that's the best you can do. Surveillance is too expensive and the more of it you have the less useful it becomes due to excess noise. You can't watch someone forever unless you can justify doing so.

I don't find it satisfactory, but think about what you're saying. You can't monitor someone indefinitely.

We'll never have enough security personnel to allow for that kind of monitoring, the alternative is to create laws that make monitoring easier, but are we willing to keep giving up more and more rights?

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
In practice that's the best you can do. Surveillance is too expensive and the more of it you have the less useful it becomes due to excess noise. You can't watch someone forever unless you can justify doing so.

I don't find it satisfactory, but think about what you're saying. You can't monitor someone indefinitely.

We'll never have enough security personnel to allow for that kind of monitoring, the alternative is to create laws that make monitoring easier, but are we willing to keep giving up more and more rights?

It's not about monitoring everybody indefinitely. We are talking about someone who was reported 5 different times as being radicalised and possibly dangerous. And who was put on a US terrorist list in 2016. And who was reported by US intelligence early this year as planning something. Who returned from Libya in UK just some days before the attack. We talk here about a week or two of surveillance that should have been enough.

One would think that anybody who's on a terrorists list and is returning from Libya or Syria would be observed for a period, given the patterns of some recent terrorists attacks.

Joe

UK authorities received 5 separate warnings by close associates and a warning from the FBI and that wasn't enough to warrant an investigation and he was allowed to travel freely.

That's either incompetence or the structure of the government is so inefficient that it is needlessly putting UK citizens into potential danger every day.

riotous

Banned
UK authorities received 5 separate warnings by close associates and a warning from the FBI and he wasn't being investigated or monitored, and he was allowed to travel freely.

That's either incompetence or the structure of the government is so inefficient that it is needlessly putting UK citizens into potential danger every day.

Was he a citizen?

Dash27

It's neither the muslim community.. whatever that means, or MI5 that I blame. If it's true that there are however many thousands of radicals in the UK, I'm not sure how much I trust that anyone can do the job of stopping it. As far as the community, of course there are good people that will do the right thing. At the same time there are no-go zones in various European nations.

So the blame for Manchester is on the UK government. Deport these people, throw them in jail if they are citizens or whatever else needs to be done to purge them from the society. Pretty simple system of gather whatever intel you need, and in this case seems like there was a ton of it with corroboration from the family and friends, put him in front of a judge and settle it. At least get the obvious cases like this guy out of the picture.

Top Bottom