• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

25 Years of PlayStation - PS4

Vawn

Banned
Every generation of PlayStation has brought us many of the best games around. To celebrate 25 years, let's look back at some of the best console exclusives from each generation starting with the latest - the PlayStation 4.

Astrobot
astro-bot-insights-and-artwork.jpg

Bloodborne
bloodborne-two-column-02-ps4-us-04jun14

Blood and Truth
blood-and-truth-analisis.jpg

Concrete Genie
concrete_genie_game_still.jpg

Days Gone
days_gone_cover_1556184572075.jpg

Death Stranding
27875498247_7b6d8c385c_k.0.jpg

Detroit: Become Human
detroit_become_human_demo_cover_1524576037809.jpg

Dissidia Final Fantasy NT
dissidia_final_fantasy_nt_roster_all_characters-heroes.jpg

Dragon Quest Heroes, Dragon Quest Heroes 2
dragon-quest-heroes-2-launch-trailer-still.jpg

dreams
dreams-listing-thumb-01-ps4-us-11jun18

Drive Club
driveclub-screen-16-ps4-us-26aug14

Everybody's Golf
EverybodysGolf5.jpg

Farpoint
79893564bca24a06bba74d02df9155ab.jpg

Final Fantasy VII Remake
ffVII_remake.jpg

Final Fantasy XIV
former-soe-president-reveals-likely-reason-ffxiv-wont-release-on-xbox-one-or-switch.jpg

Granblue Fantasy
granblue-fantasy-relink-1-1-768x432.jpg

Ghost of Tsushima
ghost_of_tsushima_reveal_screen_6.jpg

God of War
god_of_war_ps4_ogre_1523529501581.jpg

Gran Turismo Sport
i1k8BhgmUIfq0uB.jpg

Gravity Rush Remastered/Gravity Rush 2
izop4oigyeh39jfzm9ws.jpg

Horizon Zero Dawn
horizon-zero-dawn-screen-01-ps4-us-03oct16

inFamous: Second Son
infamoussecondson.jpg

inFamous: First Light
infamous%3A-first-light-hd-wallpapers-33262-5515503.jpg

Killzone Shadowfall
killzone-shadowfall-11.jpg

Little Big Planet 3
DIHWDxz4lG2Us715DhmsGeG862SdtgRH.jpg

MLB The Show
mlb-the-show-19-screen-02b-ps4-us-25jan19

Moss
Moss-Gameplay_02-12-18.jpg

Nioh
nioh_last_chance.0.jpg

Nioh 2
nioh-2---screen-2-1566517561196.jpg

Ni No Kuni 2
ninokuni1.0.jpg

P.T.
lamenting-the-loss-of-silent-hills-and-pt-815-1430205528.jpg

Persona 5
Persona 5 Royal

3527277-persona-5-royal-key-art-1.jpg

Ratchet & Clank
ratchet-and-clank-screenshot-04-psv-us-10jun15

Resogun
C43cFTDWEAAc7k4.jpg

Shadow of the Colossus
Colossus-TopArt.jpg

Shenmue 3
960x0.jpg

Spider-Man
spider-man-ps4-preview-glass.jpg

Street Fighter V
featured-homepage-smoke.jpg

Tales of Berseria
images

Tearaway Unfolded
TearawayUnfolded.jpg

Tetris Effect
Tetris.Effect.10.29.Journey.Mode.Metamorphosis.0.png

The Last Guardian
d265d99a-2f23-434f-b106-ab2f190be54a.jpg._CB283285236_.jpg

The Last of Us Remastered
the-last-of-us-could-get-sequels-but-they-won-t-star-joel-and-ellie-2.0.jpg

The Last of Us Part 2
YjKc67nJCwVG9mbecLScNj-320-80.jpg

The Order 1886
mayfair_4.0.0.jpg

Uncharted 4: A Thief's End
Uncharted-4-A-Thiefs-End-Review-PS4-Review-Uncharted-4-Playstation-Uncharted-4-vs-Last-of-Us-Uncharted-4-vs-Uncharted-3-Is-It-Th-667314.jpg

Uncharted: Lost Legacy
Chapter_7.0.png

Until Dawn
Screen-Shot-2015-12-07-at-9.40.14-AM.png

Wipeout Omega Collection
wipeout_omega_collection_screen_02_us_03dec16.0.jpeg

Yakuza Kiwami
yakuza_kiwami_review_1.0.jpg

Last edited:

Dr.brain64

Missed ps1 but since ps2, I have been graced with some of the best games I've ever played. Too many to name. Ps4 is def my favourite.

Romulus

I like that you have Astrobot first, even if its alphabetic.
I think Astrobot is the absolute playstation mascot for me going forward. Its not only an incredible game but it encompasses Sony's past and future of innovation by providing an experience that feels fresh and familiar, but wonderfully charming, and is the only platformer I've played that felt like glimpse into the future.

Lots of great games over the years. Missed out on a bunch since ps3 was my first Sony console.

And now a moment of silence for dial up users on this thread.

hunthunt

Banned
PlaysStation 4 is such a fantastic all around console, I really think that Sony dropped the ball with Ps3, the thing was just ugly as fuck and so damn slow to load and get you to the game.

Ps4 corrected everything wrong with Ps3, is just a perfect home console with a fantastic GUI, a plethora of great exclusives, a very long lasting hardware and the best possible third party support. I would put it like the second best PlayStation machine tied with the first PlayStation.

Of course we can add that it has exclusively the best game of the last 5 years in Bloodborne <3

Stuart360

25 years, damn. It really doesnt seem that long since i saw the first footage of Ridge Racer being shown on PS1 on the morning news, then buying the console months later and being blown away by a game that had blown me away in the arcade a year before.
Time flies too fast sigh.

stranno

Killzone: Shadow Fall missing.

Edit: NVM, i saw it xD

Flower, fl0w and Journey compilation was quite pretty too. But i guess they're just slightly enhanced PS3 games.

Last edited:
It's not really looking back when you list upcoming exclusives like Ghosts of Tsushima, Granblue Fantasy Relink, The Last of Us Part II etc.

Last edited:

Tqaulity

Great OP :). Just looking through those single frames, it's amazing to see the sheer depth, artisitic diversity, and visual quality across all of those games. While people have their preferences, no other platform holder has a game catalog like PlayStation's. Congrats Sony!

I became a PS fan late PS2/early PS3 generation, though I played PS1 and PS2 with friends. Great brand with a lot of gems. I think the thing I love most about Sony is they will take a dare on bringing certain games West and will give unproven studios a chance to shine.

thelastword

Banned
I'll give you a like just for putting Killzone ShadowFall in there...…..Op's post encapsulates how great this gen has been relative to variety and quality the last 6 years....

I must say the launch games, Shadowfall and ISS look soo good even years later, Shadowfall was ahead of it's time tech-wise....Shame about DC and 1886, the other graphics juggernauts, love these games for their gameplay as well...Shame that they should have sequels.....Hopefully Sony surprises us with sequels for next gen...….

Great thread, gave me a flashback of all the great games I've enjoyed this gen.....and I'm still waiting on Tsushima and TLOU2 to end things with a bang....

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
Thank you for the thread and put Gravity rush 1 and 2.

I am glad that Sony has included his masterpiece in the video. :messenger_smiling:

I have never liked Sony games 100%, but Japan Studio has certainly given me wonderful games.

I know guys already know me and I always praise the Saga, but without a doubt Gravity rush 2 is the best game I've played in my life, for me Kat is the real Sony mascot.

With one of the most memorable and beautiful scene of the Generation

Im so happy to that more people are know the saga and more with the new discount of Xmas.

Thank you for Everything and More Japan Studio and Gravity team

20170103_0010_233878_.jpeg

Looking at all those pics made me think PS4 has been an incredible return to form for playstation after a IMO very poor managed PS3.
And to think that we are yet to play probably one of the best games ever created (TLOU2) and Final Fantasy VII remake next year.

Death stranding, P5, Uncharted 4, PT.. BLOODBORNE yeah i love them all

Kamina

Golden Boy
Thank you for the thread and put Gravity rush 1 and 2.

I am glad that Sony has included his masterpiece in the video. :messenger_smiling:

I have never liked Sony games 100%, but Japan Studio has certainly given me wonderful games.

I know guys already know me and I always praise the Saga, but without a doubt Gravity rush 2 is the best game I've played in my life, for me Kat is the real Sony mascot.

With one of the most memorable and beautiful scene of the Generation

Im so happy to that more people are know the saga and more with the new discount of Xmas.

Thank you for Everything and More Japan Studio and Gravity team

20170103_0010_233878_.jpeg

baxCY2o.png

Jacknapes

I've only been playing PlayStation properly since 2013, and to be honest i wish i was on-board with the PlayStation brand earlier. The diverse genres and game offerings on this platform is something different. The first year of the remakes from PS3 coming over was where i was seeing some of the experiences i missed out on with the likes of The Last of Us and Uncharted: The Nathan Drake Collection. They both were excellent games, fair enough some enemies in Uncharted were bullet sponges. Games like Horizon, God of War, Uncharted 4, The Order (short but sweet), Detroit Become Human and Spider-Man were great. Have also delved into Gran Turismo and WipeOut (2 PlayStation staples) in recent times also.

Picked up a Vita as my second Sony console in the January sales of 2014, and i can't fault the games i've played there also.

Just seeing the love for Gravity Rush is excellent, and i wish'd that Sony and Japan Studio would continue with this franchise going forward. I first played Gravity Rush on the PSVita, but soon picked it up on PS4 along with the sequel. Such a wonderful and unique experience.

Same for Tearaway, played it on Vita then i picked it up on PS4.

Last edited:

Vawn

Banned
Vawn Vawn , you left out Uncharted: The Nathan Drake Collection or GoW III Remastered among others. Any particular reason?

Had to draw the line somewhere. To me, God of War 3 felt more like a port. I did put in TLOU, but that felt closer to a cross-gen game as the original came out so late in the PS3 life and the remaster came out early in PS4's life.

Nathan Drake Collection probably belongs, I can add that.

Edit - No, I can't. I reached maximum images. 😰

Last edited:

its_Ditz

DriveClub...

tenor.gif

DriveClub is, to this day, the very best Racing Game of the Generation imo
Not due to it´s graphics, but mostly because NO other arcade racer comes close to delivering the sam sense of speed as DriveClub. Plus: it offers the very best (fictional) tracks hands down.

Bought a PS4 JUST for this title and played literally nothing else (aside from inFamous, Spiderman and Gravity Rush 2 lol) That console just isn´t for me unfortunately... But DriveClub makes me want to own a PS4 just to play it again from time to time.

2532815-7387103959-Hidde.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

ANIMAL1975

25 years, damn. It really doesnt seem that long since i saw the first footage of Ridge Racer being shown on PS1 on the morning news, then buying the console months later and being blown away by a game that had blown me away in the arcade a year before.
Time flies too fast sigh.
For me it feels like it was ages ago! I was still living with my parents when my father gave me a psOne... now, i😲 have a 16 year old kid! Almost the same age i was back then!... And it's me who has to buy the consoles and the games for his son.
Yes, time flew by, but it feels like it was ages ago...

Vawn

Banned
Created a PS3 list/thread.

Vawn Vawn , you left out Uncharted: The Nathan Drake Collection or GoW III Remastered among others. Any particular reason?

I used to love Uncharted but those games aged very poorly. GOW 3, however, is the best way to play an utterly terrific game that still holds up beautifully. It's an essential part of the library for sure.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
DriveClub is, to this day, the very best Racing Game of the Generation imo
Not due to it´s graphics, but mostly because NO other arcade racer comes close to delivering the sam sense of speed as DriveClub. Plus: it offers the very best (fictional) tracks hands down.

Bought a PS4 JUST for this title and played literally nothing else (aside from inFamous, Spiderman and Gravity Rush 2 lol) That console just isn´t for me unfortunately... But DriveClub makes me want to own a PS4 just to play it again from time to time.

2532815-7387103959-Hidde.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

One of the best racers ever made.

Im so happy that I was there from day 1 and mostly thanks to my friend cuz I had no money to own a PS1 at the time but he had one and then all these smaller PS clubs started opening around town where you pay by the hour to play PS1 games there. Even that way, I literally played to death and still remember every single meaningful title. PS2 was thefirst PS I bought withmy own money. Yeah I tried the xbox360, late on bough other consoles I missed out on but never got a connection besides a few games that really clicked with me. Dont wanna sound like a pussy but this PS ad, when it came out, I literally shed a tear because it represented everything I went through and how I remembered that part of my growing up.

P.S. Driveclub <3

Vawn

Banned
Added text for the latest 10/10 masterpiece - Persona 5 Royal. Looking good Joker!

I actually tried adding a few more, but apparently we already reached the maximum number of images per post.

Top Bottom