• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

343: Halo 4 is best/fastest selling game in series, will do better on quality 4 Halo5

nickcv

http://www.oxm.co.uk/49083/343-boss...ly-amazing-halo-4-is-best-game-in-the-series/

"So let me save you the trouble of trolling my statement: We have a lot to learn. We made a lot of mistakes. We can do better. And we know this, and we will. But I don't want to spend the first moments of the year thinking about the negatives, because frankly, I am incredibly proud of both the team and the game that team created."

However, he thinks 343 has amply delivered against the odds. "Halo 4 is the best and fastest-selling Halo game in the series. It won critical acclaim. It won awards, from Best Graphics at the VGAs to Game of the Year at the Inside Gaming Awards. We altered the engine. We expanded the universe. We innovated in storytelling, technology, and even marketing.

"It wasn't flawless by any stretch of the imagination, but by most objective criteria, it was a resounding success. So we know we have a lot to do. And we know we have a lot to learn. But we also know that we now have the capacity, the teamwork, the technology and the experience to do much better next time."

He later elaborated: "There are a ton of things we wish we could done better: Features that didn't make it into the final game. Glitches that emerged. Missteps made. DLC fiascos. Communication breakdowns.

"But there were things that went astonishingly well - the creation of a genuinely competitive AAA studio chief among them. A collection of talent and souls that can do something genuinely amazing on this and next-generation hardware. The overhaul of an amazing game engine - but one that really needed to be overhauled - and an amassed education on systems, people, code and audience that will stand us in great stead for the future."

Hagi

I can't really speak for the Multiplayer but based on the Campaign it really isn't. Good effort though, excited to see what they achieve next gen. Hopefully they can open up the levels more and write a better story.

Yasir

It really isn't. Still consider Halo 2 and Halo 3 to have better MP and Halo 1 to have the strongest SP.

Flavius

Don't have a problem with anything Frankie says there. I've yet to play 4, but everything I've heard makes it sound as though they did a fantastic job of making a Halo game.

Best does not mean most innovative, or most loved.

For the most part it is a well made game. I don't think it was worth all the hoopla surrounding it though. The new enemy types became a chore to fight in the end.

ODST is my favorite though.

gaming_noob

I am happy to read that they know there are things that can be improved and they believe they can make [Halo 5] even better.

It's up there I reckon, maybe not quite... but even if I didn't think so, they're entitled to their opinion.

Edit - Ohh, it's Frankie. I'm sure he'll be along shortly. :)

It's up there I reckon, maybe not quite... but even if I didn't think so, they're entitled to their opinion.

It's pretty obvious that 343 would think Halo 4 is the best game in the series...

I've just never liked when developers do that. It's just arrogant.

"Yeah Bungie? We made a lot of mistakes but STILL beat you in our FIRST try. So THERE."

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
Halo 4 was good. There is room for improvement, though. There always is.

It is interesting to see how various sites slice up articles like this, though.

VG247 went with 'Halo 5: 343 will “do much better next time”, O’Connor talks next-gen'

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
343 knows how to push the 360's graphics, but they're certainly no Bungie in every other aspect. Doesn't matter though, Microsoft's massive marketing will ensure that Halo continues to sell gangbusters regardless of whether the campaign is a bunch of hitting switches and boring firefights.

Tensketch

I believe it's the best looking game in the series. Possibly the best looking game on the 360.

But man, there were some moments in 3 that had me astounded. 'So remember that time you and your 3 friends boarded a giant walking tank, destroyed its core and dived out of it moments before it blew up? Well, heres 2 more of em in a giant canyon and a whole load of vehicles for you to mess about with, have fun!'
And I still stand by the fact that Vidmaster: Annual was one of the greatest coop moments in gaming.

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
I disagree 343.

Maybe if the file browser worked and split screen were playable.

edit: That sales thing is interesting. It was down from 3 at launch in the US and UK. Legs were good in the UK though. NPD will be interesting.

Perkel

Banned
Halo 4 sold only this much because it was Halo 4 and people wanted Halo 3 sequel not because 343 changes.

It is the same situation as Diablo 3.

JaggedSac

To be perfectly honest, I think they had a whole slew of production issues on this game. QA was really not great. Things just seemed to not be as polished as it should have been for such a high profile release. Features were removed. Netcode isn't the best. Perhaps a public beta next time around would fix that.

And I am saddened that they mention marketing as one of the bright spots. Halo makes enough money to not need to shove endorsements and products down our faces.

Love the game, but think it could have been better.

Gourry

Campaign is great.

Spartan Ops is terrific (no replay value though).

Multiplayer, they destroyed it and the playerbase is shrinking fast (bump from Christmas though). I hate playing it online, everything is just wrong. Played countless matches of 2, 3 and Reach. I haven't even managed 100 games of 4. It's just that bad/boring to play. :-(

The single player was lackluster. The graphics and engine were good. But the multiplayer took too many elements from CoD. I played Halo: Reach multiplayer for months and months. I gave up on Halo 4 multiplayer after about 3 weeks.

McLovin

I've only played halo 3 and reach, I'm gonna have to give this game a try. Its probably a controversial opinion but I thought reach was better than 3... actually I didn't think 3 was a good game. Story was all over the place, final boss was a freaking ball, and everything besides the Spartans and the skybox looked like crap. And holy hell did the humans look ugly. I probably remember it worse then it was, I played a good portion of that game on spliy screen.

I agree. It's the first Halo game since Halo CE that I've really wanted to stick with right up until the end without getting bored.

Also, for a new team's first game, and for a game which had to live up to such a legacy, it was a truly incredible achievement. I don't think anybody can take away from that.

EDIT: Sorry, when I say "agree" I mean the best since Halo CE.

derFeef

I don't think so, I stopped playing and have not finished it yet (I will though, I promise Frankie), tells you something I guess. I swallowed up ODST and 3, my two favourites.

Sojgat

Worst Halo campaign since 2, and the MP is average at best. Not totally fucking it up was a major achievement, but it's not the best anything.

I can agree that, taken as a whole, it's the most complete package in the series, but I really hate that they continued to go with map pack route that fragments the multiplayer community and prevents DLC from ever reaching a wider audience and ends up not really building up the value of the main game. Coming from a first party, it really should have been just a simple $10 online pass at most with a focus on selling more copies of the game rather than squeezing more out of your fanbase, no matter how successful DLC has been in the past or how it has done for other big games. Also, it's still not the best Halo when it comes to campaign...that would still be the one without the couple lame QTEs inserted into the experience and the dumbass, low-tier Star Trek villain. Also, they totally fucking wussed out with the forced symmetry of Promethean weapons and limited enemy types. Not enough new to really kickstart a trilogy on their own, IMO, so they had better step it up with added new dynamics for the following two Halo games. Also, needs more sandbox.

Top Bottom