• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

343: Halo 4 is best/fastest selling game in series, will do better on quality 4 Halo5

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Best graphics sure

Super cheesy writing
Pretty meh gunplay
The QTEs/CG scenes

Fuck it, it's the worst main line halo game... They screwed like every enemy interaction up

They turned the game from a joy to play into a chore

Petrichor

Complete misquote - I read that as "the best (selling) and the fastest selling"

It isn't the best by any metric, so this is the only possible explanation.

Aegus

Still haven't completed Halo 4 and I say this as someone who has completed the previous games on Legendary. So boring and ho hum. The areas felt so small.

If they had worked a bit more on the new enemies (and weapons) then sure. But as it was, I found myself becoming genuinely happy whenever I'd come across Covenant. I realize that it's hard to add to what is basically the best enemy gallery in a shooter, but this honestly felt like they weren't trying very hard.

SparkTR

I honestly think Bungie unwittingly struck gold with Halo 1, the perfect storm where even the flaws were beneficial to the experience. I mean, I've enjoyed the series but looking back I've never truly 'liked' any other Halo game apart from the original, and they definitely never gave me what I wanted as a sequel to Halo: CE. I flat-out did not like Halo 4, though.

Bgamer90

Banned
Halo 4 is the first time I've been addicted to Halo MP this gen. I would probably say that it's the best Halo this gen but I wouldn't call it the best in the series (CE is in my opinion).

Sojgat

Complete misquote - I read that as "the best (selling) and the fastest selling"

It isn't the best by any metric, so this is the only possible explanation.

Is it the best selling? If not, we can clear that up pretty quickly.

It's not the best selling at all, which is why the OXM article interprets his statement as "best game in the series".

I'm thinking the guy just misspoke.

JimboJones

Nah, it's not rubbish or anything but I'm pretty disappointed in the multiplayer, too many changes I hate.
Plus the splits-screen frame rate(in multiplayer) is like a slide show at times and makes it barely playable.

ygM2t.jpg

it's by far the worst in the series.

QFT

you can tell the visuals were their priority NOT the gameplay. Worst Halo period.

SP= CE >reach> odst> 3> 2>4

MP=CE > 2 > reach > odst > 3 > 4

4 was really pretty but nothing more.

eXistor

It's the one Halo I don't feel should have been made. I'm basing this on SP only though, no idea how MP fared. The campaign wasn't bad, it was just so overdone. I've played this before...and before and before. I'd almost go as far as to say it was a non-game, it just had zero impact on me, it was just a game that was released in 2012. I don't want another Halo, I expect the series to move forward. A lot of series don't do this, but I feel 343 had a lot to prove and all they did was show us the same trick Bungie already did for years.

Dachande

Have you played it? It's a ton of fun and the best in the series from a gameplay and encounter design perspective.

Of course I've played it. I hated it, it's the only Halo that's made me quit in rage and not complete the campaign. I totally disagree that it's the best in encounter design - that level near the end in the puke-orange alien ship thing with the dozens of wall-hugging Flood appearing out of nowhere with absolutely no way to work out where you're going brings it down alone.

The problem with Halo campaigns is that their quality is inversely proportional to how much the Flood is in them. That's why 2 and 3 are the worst, and Reach and 4 are among the best. CE is a wildcard because the level where the Flood introduced is a massive exception to that rule but the Library... well, exists.

For the campaign and the graphics, I agree. I've never been into Halo multiplayer. I don't think another Halo game could top that first experience of CE for me, but it's not fair to expect that. Halo 4 is definitely better than 3 and frankly it blows away Reach.

Brannon

I certainly would like to hear the opinion of the retard at 343 that thought CoDifying Halo was in any way a good idea. Pretty sure if people wanted loadouts like CoD, sprint button like CoD, QTEs like CoD, leveling to get competitive gear like CoD and +5 Dickstroke emblazoned across the screen every time you did what you're expected to do so you can feel good about yourself like CoD, they'd probably just play that game called CoD. Geez, it takes a special kind of person to keep doing the CoD copy shuffle after seeing so many others fall disappointed.

Maybe 5 will get it right, unless that same bright one that decided how Halo 4 should turn out still works there...

Also I disagree and stuff.

Harlock

Halo 4 it´s a good, but I wish it did not have to change weapon every 10 seconds because the ammo ends fo fast.

Hmm, I've been a Halo fan since day 1, but I'd put Halo: CE on top.

But out of all of the rest? I agree. Amazing game. Multiplayer is pretty addictive.

Halo: CE > Halo 4 > Halo 3 > ODST > Halo 2 > Reach

Yagharek

I'm more outraged that anyone considers Halo 3's campaign good.

I'm with you. I thought H3 had a terrible campaign. CE was great, 2 was alright til the end levels, 3 had major problems. Reach was better than 2 and miles better than 3.

However thanks to giving 3 a second chance after Reach, I found I still hated it and I couldn't be arsed giving 4 a go (sold my 360 not long after).

Of course I've played it. I hated it, it's the only Halo that's made me quit in rage and not complete the campaign. I totally disagree that it's the best in encounter design - that level near the end in the puke-orange alien ship thing with the dozens of wall-hugging Flood appearing out of nowhere with absolutely no way to work out where you're going brings it down alone.
That's one level out of 9 though.

DodgerSan

Both Reach & 4 both start with the built-in advantage of having no flood. Not that the flood themselves were intrinsically bad, but they feature in some of the worst levels I have ever had the misfortune to play (Library and Cortana).

Shame that 4 couldn't managed saves films in campaign though.

The campaign was pretty good, but I never played Halo for the campaign. The multiplayer is bad, they made a lot of stupid changes that have alienated true Halo fans. Everyone I know that has always played Halo mp doesn't play Halo 4's anymore, and a few people I know who didn't used to play Halo mp played Halo 4's mp...for a couple weeks. So good job of sort of getting casuals to play it casually.

No balance, no (real) ranks, a focus on big team (which was never Halo's strong suit and means even less balance), messed up playlists, no more addiction. All kinds of weird shit with their marketing. This game is seriously a money pit with good graphics. They didn't listen to the fans.

I don't know how much was Microsoft corporate b.s. but I've lost a lot of interest with this franchise. It's the worst, multiplayer wise.

edit: the worst thing was I was really open to change; when Frankie and others were discussing the changes before the release I thought most of it could work in theory, and they were very reassuring that it would and was working in practice. But it didn't, and now I feel like an idiot for defending 343 for so long.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
QFT

you can tell the visuals were their priority NOT the gameplay. Worst Halo period.

SP= CE >reach> odst> 3> 2>4

MP=CE > 2 > reach > odst > 3 > 4

4 was really pretty but nothing more.

If you like Reach better than ODST and 3 (and even 4) I just don't know what to say.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
It's nice to have opinions and I hope for 343's sake, that quite a few people share them regarding their success (and that sales = quality). But personally, Halo 4 is the game that's pushed me away from the series and the Xbox platform as a whole. Along with Forward Unto Dawn's success, they can be happy Halo 4 had an impact at least.

TheOddOne

Well you have to actually read it into context:
But the team grew. And we learned. And we’re still learning. And the game arrived and it succeeded. Halo 4 is the best and fastest-selling Halo game in the series. It won critical acclaim. It won awards, from Best Graphics at the VGAs to Game of the Year at the Inside Gaming Awards. We altered the engine. We expanded the universe. We innovated in storytelling, technology, and even marketing. It wasn’t flawless by any stretch of the imagination, but by most objective criteria, it was a resounding success. So we know we have a lot to do. And we know we have a lot to learn. But we also know that we now have the capacity, the teamwork, the technology and the experience to do much better next time.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
I'll post what I noted over in HaloGaf.

Good note by Frank in the bulletin. When you actually look at what a monumental task it must have been to go from 5 people to finishing Halo 4 it must be staggering. The small bit that I know about development makes be really wish I could have seen the entire process from those initial five, to the game going gold.

Like Halo 4 or not you have to commend 343 for even existing, and making a solid product in the end. Hopefully they are true to their words when stating they are learning from the mistakes made. I guess we'll see!

CHEEZMO™

Obsidian fan
I've played every Halo game sans Wars, and have read all the books apart from the new Forerunner ones.

Halo 4 killed my interest in the future of this franchise.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Everything I am reading in the OP is about tech, the engine, or marketing. That stuff felt like the focus of Halo 4 to me, so I guess it makes sense. Personally I find it pretty hard to get very excited over the game because it doesn't feel particularly inspired, or maybe I have simply grown coarse to the manner in which Halo operates.

And of course Halo 4 is the fastest selling of the series, what an idiotic metric. It has the largest install base, probably an obscene marketing budget, and came at a time where there was very little competition in the marketplace.

Top Bottom