• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

343 has pretty much ruined Halo CE multiplayer with the latest patch

Leyasu

Banned
Reach introduced armor abilities thus it has the worst Halo multiplayer by default. Everything that people consider being wrong with Halo spawned from Reach.

Armour lock, jet pack, etc.. All horrid. I didn't like the bloom either. Plus no BR makes me sad. I also think that reach has the worst maps in any game that I have played to date!

Yet with all that, I would play it than halo

First, up your reference game, son.

Second: I didn't buy MCC. I didn't buy it because all I (and many others, I might add) wanted was some god damn Halo multiplayer goodness, and that's been broken since launch.

Yes, the game is fucking trash because the main reason I wanted it has never worked properly. The game is trash because a rerelease of old ass games is somehow unable to even meet the quality of those original releases. The game is trash because even the shit I didn't really want to play (the campaigns) were broken for months after launch.

The fact that you can defend this indefensible bullshit says more about you than my disappointment in a broken product says about me.
Ethered
Reach introduced armor abilities thus it has the worst Halo multiplayer by default. Everything that people consider being wrong with Halo spawned from Reach.
Armor abilities fucking suck, but I'm sorry man. 4 is a terrible game. Just look at the online stats if you want proof.

So much truth. I can't stand 4, but Reach really was the bottom of the barrel for this series to me. Most people like to pretend Halo's downfall is 343's fault, but Bungie shit the bed themselves long before that.

I even hate 3, but it at least felt like a Halo game. Reach and 4 are not Halo to me.

E92 M3

Just because it had features you didn't like doesn't make it a bad game. Bungie released a great product that had one of the best campaigns from any Halo game.

Sephzilla

Halo Reach < Halo 4
< Halo 3 < Halo 2 < Halo CE

Reach introduced a lot of bad ideas. Halo 4 continued a lot of those bad ideas. But Halo 4 at least had better gameplay for SWAT.

While 343 is fixing this how about making a toggle so I can avoid all Halo 1 matches in BTB? I never want to play another CTF match on Gephyrophobia again after my previous experiences of constant sniping of the spawn areas.

hwalker84

Is it weird I still have faith in Halo 5 after MCC?

Halo 4 as besides design changes was released relatively smooth if I recall correctly.

Now that that's out of the way MCC is absolutely unacceptable and still unacceptable even today.

All Campaigns should be 1080p @ 60fps without dips (Even the Halo 2 remaster. Who the hell cares about switching on the fly). The performance is bullshit. Multiplayer by myself works but as soon as I add a friend to the mix the game more often than not goes to complete shit. The damage done to this franchise may be unrecoverable. I hope it is as it's my favorite gaming franchise.

catmario

I'm surprised that the people really doesn't like Halo reach. :(
Indeed, If reach didn't have some problematic armor abilities like shield, It could have been good game.

ADS is a non-issue seeing as it works like scoping in previous halo games where movement speed isn't compromised.

Sprint you can argue leads to maps needing to be larger, but the core gameplay loop is still the same

When the scopes in halo 5 stop takeing up 50% of the view with a fake lense, maybe.

Lothars

I'm surprised that the people really doesn't like Halo reach. :(
Indeed, If reach didn't have some problematic armor abilities like shield, It could have been good game.
Reach is still one of the best halo games released, the armor abilities hate is overblown. It's easy to combat against and really doesn't make a difference.

Sephzilla

Reach is still one of the best halo games released, the armor abilities hate is overblown. It's easy to combat against and really doesn't make a difference.

Reach's combat feels slow and sluggish to me. Playing Reach and then jumping back to CE or H2 feels like a night and day difference in terms of game speed for me.

Tesseract

Banned
Why 343
XLHwPXv.png

LOL

Stacey

Banned
I'm sorry to say (well I'm not actually), but halo 4 sans promethean vision, jet packs and boltshots is pretty damn good. Easily my most played on the MCC.

What is surprising though, is the amount halo 4 gets picked in BTB.... It seems that lots of people didn't get the memo from halogaf that halo 4 is bad.

Agreed. Among my halo friends number 4 has the best multiplayer.

Better controls.
Smoother, more consistent frame rate.
Better net code.
Perfect movement speed.
Vehicle combat is fun.

The only negative is perhaps some completely useless weapons.

I'm not sure if this is the case for the rest of the world but playing a game of halo 3 and needing to aim 3ft in front of a guys face to chase his hitbox is disgusting.

So much truth. I can't stand 4, but Reach really was the bottom of the barrel for this series to me. Most people like to pretend Halo's downfall is 343's fault, but Bungie shit the bed themselves long before that.

I even hate 3, but it at least felt like a Halo game. Reach and 4 are not Halo to me.

Reach was a prequel and a spin-off. I don't agree with a lot of shit Bungie put in that game but at least they had an excuse. Halo 4 was a mainline sequel but took all the Reach additions and turned them up to 11.

Hubble

Not really.

Yes, really. Halo 3 streams are bigger and vastly more popular than Halo 4 on Twitch, with the latter virtually nonexistent. As someone who is active in the Halo community, I can tell you Halo 4 is reviled among the Halo community. None of the things you say have no correlation. Good and popular games are streamed on Twitch all the time, old and new.

I wish numbers were released somehow. There is no doubt Halo 3 is more played than Halo 4 in MCC.

- Halo: Combat Evolved was originally supposed to have jetpacks

From an interview with Frank O'Connor in 2004: Halo 2 had fully integrated sprinting and leaning mechanics before they were removed for balancing / fun issues.

My google-fu is failing me on Halo 2's jetpacks specifically, but I may have been getting my wires crossed. But no no, yeah, tales from my ass.

Okay? The article you quoted says they were removed for balance issues, not time constraints.

Just because it had features you didn't like doesn't make it a bad game. Bungie released a great product that had one of the best campaigns from any Halo game.
Yep. Jetpack was a plus. So was the campaign with Elites and Brutes and gorgeous faces (at long last). And the revised Firefight w/ tons of customization options. And the new objective multiplayer modes. And that launch into space followed by space battles followed by boarding an enemy ship. So fucking good.

Reach was all kinds of awesome.

If they had the time they could have found a way to balance them if they really wanted them.

I'm glad it didn't though.

Frank O'Conner: You know, we tried everything. You'd be amazed at the number of things that we had working and finished in the game that were removed because they weren't balanced or they weren't fun. There's a list of things like that. Basically, if something came out of the game, it came out of there because it sucked. There were some things that just worked better than others. We talked about sprinting and leaning, and those were in the game. What happened was that they changed how Halo felt, so out they came. But there are things in there that did work.
It doesn't seem like time was really the issue at all.

This is such a faulty argument. If 343 wanted to, they could have changed it back. There was nothing stopping them from going back to the original formula. In fact, as it was the first game made by a new studio, they had free reign to reboot the whole damn thing. And that's exactly what they did.

Armor abilities and sprint didn't change the core fundamentals of Halo even a sliver as much as removing most of the weapon pickups and making players spawn with weapons.

Note: I'm not arguing anything about the campaign since I really don't care too much about that side of the game.

Are you crazy? Reach is much better than Halo 4 by every measurement except graphics.

It really, really is not. Halo 4 has a much stronger campaign overall. In fact, I enjoyed Halo 4's campaign more so than any game in the entire franchise. I can't speak to MP because I don't play Halo MP.

Reach is, however, a much better game than Halo 3 was.

Hubble

it's an over exaggeration but the scopes clouding up my vision do bother me. especially when halo canon says ADS is unnecessary

in b4 "they rewrote the canon to make ADS work"

I feel the ADS takes away from the BTB vibe too. 8 v 8 and shooting someone across a large map with ADS just doesn't feel the same Halo gameplay.

Durden77

This is unbelievable. I can't believe this game is still fucked up.

Like, it's fucking HALO. WHAT THE FUCK. If there's something you should get right MS, it's FUCKING HALO. Christ. I don't own it or anything (was tempted to get a Xbone when it came out but all the horror stories turned me off), but watching this game from a distance has just been astounding. It's been half a year.

Yep. Jetpack was a plus. So was the campaign with Elites and Brutes and gorgeous faces (at long last). And the revised Firefight w/ tons of customization options. And the new objective multiplayer modes. And that launch into space followed by space battles followed by boarding an enemy ship. So fucking good.

Reach was all kinds of awesome.

Really hoping Reach makes it into the MCC.

jelly

Reach campaign was great. I can sort of see people knocking it for some firefight like moments and Reach having that horrible blurry AA but it is so far beyond Halo 4 it isn't funny. The hate Reach gets is bizarre and the love Halo 2 gets is also bizarre.

This is unbelievable. I can't believe this game is still fucked up.

Like, it's fucking HALO. WHAT THE FUCK. If there's something you should get right MS, it's FUCKING HALO. Christ. I don't own it or anything (was tempted to get a Xbone when it came out but all the horror stories turned me off), but watching this game from a distance has just been astounding. It's been half a year.

Don't be so entitled, frankie promised.

jem0208

I feel the ADS takes away from the BTB vibe too. 8 v 8 and shooting someone across a large map with ADS just doesn't feel the same Halo gameplay.

I'm genuinely curious, how does being able to see your scope take away from a btb vibe?

How does it even affect the gameplay in an impactful way?

Striker

Armor abilities were just an evolution from equipment in Halo 3.

One thing Reach had over both Halo 3 and Halo 4 is gametypes and it shattered both games in that regard. Assault was neutered and awful in Halo 3 and completely absent in Halo 4. While I missed sticky arming and never cared for diffusing a bomb, it was still a very enjoyable gametype. One of the best ones Halo has to offer. Halo 4 did one thing right in removing bloom, but it introduced flinch and a bunch of other terrible scenarios. It was the final straw for me in the series. Seeing MCC and how it has been handled is unfortunate, but I'm really not surprised all things considering.

shoreu

it's an over exaggeration but the scopes clouding up my vision do bother me. especially when halo canon says ADS is unnecessary

in b4 "they rewrote the canon to make ADS work"

You still have to hold the gun properly to shoot the scopes are all holographic or in the Spartan's mind. You see this pretty clearly with the Ar's smartlink

The whole ads argument annoys me because it changes nothing from previous halos scoping. It's like we're all banding together to get mad at an animation. The AR scoping is the only gun zoom change that I could see some people having issue with, and even then it makes the gun more applicable in mid range action.

Slow movement speed, high aim assist, BR/PP combo, long range fights gimped thanks to a lack of effective ranged weapons, the necessity to teamshoot to be effective as a team which took power away from any single player, etc.

The list goes on, and it starts with Halo 2. Sure Reach gave us Armor Abilities, but they also gave us the DMR which was what fans wanted for years: a single shot precision weapon over the BR, and a more useful sandbox instead of just BRBRBRBRBRBRBR. DMR got a lot of use sure, but pound for pound the weapon sandbox was much better in Reach than it ever was in Halo 2 and 3. Halo 3 was easily the greatest offense though, for example:

Buns everywhere. Hopefully Halo 5 gives us some juicy burgers though ;]

Weirder still that you have faith after Halo 4 tbh.

I don't understand this. As a long time Halo fan, I thought Halo 4 was really good. The multiplayer I was a little divisive about, but the campaign was fantastic.

Have complete faith in 343 for Halo 5. I understand it is their responsibility to right MCC, but I also understand that the devs they outsourced all this too fucked up.

I did some CE matches on MCC to see this changes and at the end it&#8217;s not that horrible&#8230;
Sure the M6D is not as fun as before BUT the games are far more balanced in this way, we were doing 4vs4 on prisoner, rat race and some other and definitely they were less spawn kill everywhere.

The players used a bit more the other weapons too so regarding the game as a game of 2001 and that players got 14 years of experiences on it, I will say that it&#8217;s a good balance update + if you are still a good Halo CE player you are still a damn killing machine honestly.
I also notice since the update players vote Halo CE far more often in MM than before.
After 343i should have asked or beta test this to the players first (maybe via the preview program?) like they did with the 75% bloom or 0 bloom in reach because they changed the way the original Halo was played without say a word on it.

Still I think it&#8217;s better this way&#8230;I think.

So this is what happens when one of the 17 different aim assists are disabled in a console game?

The biggest failing I see in this GIF is the player never adjusting their aim, just their positioning.

This is what I'm seeing. The video in the OP is actually really flattering to the hitboxes when you see how the bullets miss close calls when the magnetism is off. Amazing to me that people prefer the inaccurate hitboxes, but I guess that is what it takes to make these games playable on sticks.

This is what I'm seeing. The video in the OP is actually really flattering to the hitboxes when you see how the bullets miss close calls when the magnetism is off. Amazing to me that people prefer the inaccurate hitboxes, but I guess that is what it takes to make these games playable on sticks.

Halo has never been Counterstrike. There's always been a good degree of bullet magnetism. It's one of the things that makes Halo -- Halo. It has nothing to do with being on sticks or not.

That's about as accurately as most people can aim with a gamepad.. If that fails, that means 90% of people can't shoot shit beyond 10' away.

How hard is it for apologists/343 to understand that people just want to play the original games, as they were, in this collection? Now is not the time to rethink Halo CE. Now is also not the time to release functional Halo CE - that was 7 months ago. But that ship has sailed.

Top Bottom