• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

36 minutes of The Order 1886 gameplay (offscreen)

vpance

Something is off about this game. Yeah the graphics are great, but this seems like more of an cinematic experience than anything else. What really gets me is the cut scene for a damn melee attack. COME ON NOW! lol

Yes, it is a cinematic game. The sooner people realize this the better.

Paskil

I'm excited for this game, but I can't really see myself paying full price based on what I've seen. I'm terrible and FPS/TPS and I already feel like I was burned on Killzone (I know, two different studios). All of that said, the game looks phenomenal. I can't hear the music people are hyping, but the story is intriguing, as well. Hopefully get to see a demo of some type so I can at least play a few minutes to see how it all balances out for me.

Also, as it needs to be said, RAD DOING WORK.

KKRT00

I really liked indirect reflections from the main characters.
It doesnt look too realistic, but i love when game push some new technologies.

wachie

This looks on a completely another level, got tamn.

UC4 still has a year to go but for now IMO this is the best looking console game.

curb

Banned
This seems really good. I wonder why Sony has been so cagey about showing more of it. I feel like the limited nature of their PR so far has created suspicion and not mystique.

Seeing this footage is exactly what I needed to feel good about buying this day one. It's right up my alley and good lawd, those visuals - even offscreen.

stryke

So, there isn't any MP in this game, right? That's a bummer. The gunplay looks fun.

No. I certainly think it's a missed opportunity for coop.

They also need to rejig the camera a bit to follow the character more quickly. When he turns around a corner sometimes you don't see around it for a brief moment and it leaves him vulnerable.

What if an enemy popped out down the hall as he turned here:

iln0N5jYdLPIE.gif

Circinae

Neo Member
Very pretty and I like the setting a lot, but it looks far too uninvolved. It is akin to a Quantic Dream game in a lot of ways and while I don't denounce their existence, I'm not a fan, so it is quite disappointing. The actual combat looks very flat and I don't buy that "cinematic" is an excuse to not have deep, strong, multifaceted game-play. You could have replaced any number of those QTE/Press X to kill moments with actual play.

ukpanik

Banned
Great player, they pressed the gamepad button when asked very quickly.
Also love the doors that can't be opened, or even attempt to open, lets you know you are off the linear path. Very thoughtful of the developers.

Loudninja

Also love the doors that can't be opened, or even attempt to open, lets you know you are off the linear path. Very thoughtful of the developers.
So I guess the in the games you played you never had to press any buttons.

Dawg

So, there isn't any MP in this game, right? That's a bummer. The gunplay looks fun.

If anything, Wolfenstein: The New Order proves you can still make a great singleplayer-only experience.

I really don't want devs to put extra time in an unnecessary multiplayer just because. Especially when it's the first game of a potential franchise. Uncharted didn't have multiplayer in the first game either.

Amir0x

Banned

yes the game is linear wow such criticism much issues

deejay8595

my posts are "MEH"
Yes, it is a cinematic game. The sooner people realize this the better.

Thing is, it's hard for an action game to be primarily cinematic. Takes one out the immersion aspect when you're shooting an enemy/monster then all of a sudden a cut scene triggers out of no where.

I can understand a cinematic based game such as heavy rain, because it's more puzzled based.

I will say, graphics are definitely good!

Incredible, best visuals I've seen on any platform and the music and voice acting is A grade!

My Impressions from the other thread:

The demo really puts into better perspective how the game works and plays and really should have been how it was marketed from the beginning.

Shame the guy playing was pretty incompetent though. Hardly used cover, missed cues like marking the rebels, got lost on several occasions where it was obvious where to go next, failed simplistic mini games ect

They should release a direct feed of a dev playing through this demo. It would be glorious.

maxagombar1

Neo Member
So for anyone that's in Vegas and has actually seen this demo in person, is the image quality truly as unbelievable as it looks in this off screen demo? Obviously for a game with graphics this great, video compression most likely helps hide flaws (if there are any)

dugdug

Banned
If anything, Wolfenstein: The New Order proves you can still make a great singleplayer-only experience.

I really don't want devs to put extra time in an unnecessary multiplayer just because. Especially when it's the first game of a potential franchise. Uncharted didn't have multiplayer in the first game either.

I absolutely agree, but, it also proves that, once I finish it, I'll most likely trade it in.

a.k.a. I'm part of the problem, but, that's how it is for me.

Amir0x

Banned
They should release a direct feed of a dev playing through this demo. It would be glorious.

the fact that they haven't still shows how incompetent they are from a marketing stand point though. how was that little snippet of gameplay we had during the keynote appropriate for a game everyone is genuinely wondering about that has had many previously daft showings and is only two months away? Uncharted had a flippin' 15 minute demonstration, and it's a year away!

One day I hope someone releases a retrospective on what went on in discussions of how to show the game to the world, because fuck.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
I find it pretty funny that Sebastian can open doors but you can't.

the fact that they haven't still shows how incompetent they are from a marketing stand point though. how was that little snippet of gameplay we had during the keynote appropriate for a game everyone is genuinely wondering about that has had many previously daft showings and is only two months away? Uncharted had a flippin' 15 minute demonstration, and it's a year away!

One day I hope someone releases a retrospective on what went on in discussions of how to show the game to the world, because fuck.

Yes the PR for this has been… very odd.

They can sell this on the visuals and production alone, but a direct feed controlled play through would really open peoples eyes and spread awareness.

Sony is usually guilty of over showing games before release but this time has been the complete opposite.

Dinjooh

So for anyone that's in Vegas and has actually seen this demo in person, is the image quality truly as unbelievable as it looks in this off screen demo? Obviously for a game with graphics this great, video compression most likely helps hide flaws (if there are any)

Impressions from Viveks86:

So I stepped away from my chair just to see how it held up from a couple of feet away. It looked exponentially better, so I didn't count that as a negative. It really is remarkable that they pulled this off. The IQ is almost flawless with nary a jaggy in sight. The 4x MSAA was working wonders and it held up at extreme close distance.

Edit: Or you could just ask him, he's right up there ^^

Dawg

I absolutely agree, but, it also proves that, once I finish it, I'll most likely trade it in.

a.k.a. I'm part of the problem, but, that's how it is for me.

Ya, I understand. But sometimes the multiplayer component really feels unnecessary, looking at the Tomb Raider reboot now :p

I just want Ready at Dawn to use everything they have to make this a decent singleplayer-experience. If the game is a success, they can always think about co-op or multiplayer for a sequel.

Well here's a full res direct feed grab from Gamersyde.

image_the_order_1886-27140-2752_0010.jpg

Judge for yourself.

alterno69

Banned
This game was day from the reveal trailer basically, cinematic adventures are my thing, those comparing it to a Quantic Dream game are crazy, i'd say is more similar to something like MGS games in terms of gameplay/codec ratio, nit a problem for me at all, i love getting new story details often in these kind of games.

This is my most anticipated game of Q1 next year for me. Looks awesome.

Top Bottom