• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

36 minutes of The Order 1886 gameplay (offscreen)

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
oh now yall like it.

Kermit-Tea.jpg

I get the complaints about archaic mechanics with something like that cockpit breach QTE. Dash in and immediately get hit with a Square button prompt you aren't ready for, miss it and you die. But dying only means rewinding five seconds and trying again, so what's the point? Why not just not have a QTE there, or make it actual gameplay, or go the Quantic Dream route and have the QTE branch if you don't hit it.

Still, it's nice to finally see some uninterrupted gameplay after all this time. Unfortunately I think the marketing team has done an awful lot of harm to this game's prospects by keeping footage under wraps for so long, because it looks genuinely good. I was worried that the game might have Max Payne 3 syndrome where it never actually lets you have control for more than a couple of minutes at a time, so seeing that you can explore the whole level pretty much at your leisure is really encouraging.

This game was day from the reveal trailer basically, cinematic adventures are my thing, those comparing it to a Quantic Dream game are crazy, i'd say is more similar to something like MGS games in terms of gameplay/codec ratio, nit a problem for me at all, i love getting new story details often in these kind of games.

This is my most anticipated game of Q1 next year for me. Looks awesome.

I definitely would go more for the MGS comparison. A Quantic Dream game is an extreme stretch. I see the pretty typical cutscenes bookending action but nothing is really interrupting the shooting or stealth sections.

I really want to see how the supernatural element plays out in this game, haven't really seen a proper fight against the werewolves yet and I feel that this element could really bring the game up to another level in terms of gameplay. Have sections where you fight humans and keep it to the normal cover shooter aspect but then have the monsters come in and force you to change tactics.

I guess RAD are keeping these parts under wraps to surprise people?

JP

This has finally got my attention, really wasn't interested until I saw this video. No idea why it took so long for the person playing it to understand things like the lock picking, the lock picking in particular was obvious.

Luckily they still have time to tidy up bits of the game but I'm quite looking forward to this now.

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
gunplay looks really good, as does the amazing graphics and score
QTEs and cutscenes don't bother me but I'm not a fan of the black bars,really restricts the view

And my god the guy playing is shit

BBboy20

I find it pretty funny that Sebastian can open doors but you can't.
Looks like it maybe another generation of in-game waits as hidden loading screen.

I'm surprised they don't just put can't open icons on doors you can open or have the character try opening.

You'd think that maybe the Order dudes would have some magnatic gizmom on their wrists that can bring guns and ammo to them instead of characters sometimes magically grabbing ammo.

Why there isn't camera options for camera switching and POV is beyond me.

The only reason I'm still paying attention to this game is because I like the way the devs think but even with those footage, I'm still not convinced. It just gives the impression that the only reason this game exists is to see how pretty the PS4 can be.

It looks like the guy playing made the same mistake that was described by the IGN guys (I think?), missing a turning due to the low FOV.

The guy playing seemed to be quite bad in general, but tbh I didn't see that right turn either.

This looks insane!! The guy playing sucks! I can't wait to have this and play it and see it with my own eyes.
Ready at Dawn never disappoints. I've been a fan since GoW chains of Olympus.

Dinjooh

It looks like the guy playing made the same mistake that was described by the IGN guys (I think?), missing a turning due to the low FOV.

The guy playing seemed to be quite bad in general, but tbh I didn't see that right turn either.

I noticed that he hadn't looked there, which made watching the whole thing incredibly frustrating.

*Turn around, no - no - not that way, god dammit!*

There are bigger environments, trust me.

There are some intense battles in the game. I can't wait.

Stop it you, I'm getting super excited.

It seems they really don't want to spoil much of the game or story. Fine by me but now that a 30 min video has leaked, hopefully we get some proper direct feed stuff by someone more proficient at the game.

nOoblet16

I tried to watch very little so I don't spoil much but from what I've seen, it looks better than what most people have made this game sound like (except recent impressions have been fairly good). Only thing that worries me is the use of black bars. I thought they wouldn't bug me in The Evil Within. Hope it's not the same case here.

The black bars here are smaller than the ones in Evil within.

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
They really should have shown a shortened demo version of this at psx, one that was 10/15 mins long like Uncharted

ced

I get the complaints about archaic mechanics with something like that cockpit breach QTE. Dash in and immediately get hit with a Square button prompt you aren't ready for, miss it and you die. But dying only means rewinding five seconds and trying again, so what's the point? Why not just not have a QTE there, or make it actual gameplay, or go the Quantic Dream route and have the QTE branch if you don't hit it.

This and the insta fail stealth are the only thing I can see that isn't impressive, I liked what I saw of the combat. It's weird because I thought I remembered an interview where they talked about branching melee QTEs etc.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
I always liked what I have seen. :(

I'm not the type to get hype off of cutscenes and QTEs. This gameplay footage looks better than everything I've seen so far.

I never disliked it.

I was joking. But it really did seem like the last few Order threads were split 50/50 hate it or like it. This thread is mostly like it. Which is new.

Can you really blame people looking at the footage they've chosen before to show the public?

Actually the footage before impressed me (which was only small sections of the game)... soo..

Stop it you, I'm getting super excited.

It seems they really don't want to spoil much of the game or story. Fine by me but now that a 30 min video has leaked, hopefully we get some proper direct feed stuff by someone more proficient at the game.

Yeah RAD are holding it too close to their chest for fear of spoiling the plot. I'm not worried after seeing the demo walkthrough. They've proved the game works and flows nicely and impressions of the gunplay and QTE controls have been glowing. I'll be quite happy with a launch trailer now and the prospect of experiencing the bulk of the campaign fresh is pretty exciting.

Just hoping for a decent length. 8-10hrs minimum for single player only.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
But it really did seem like the last few Order threads were split 50/50 hate it or like it. This thread is mostly like it. Which is new.

Well yeah, that's what happens when you show shitty footage for months and months and then finally show good footage that makes the gameplay look fun.

I always wondered what type of games RAD would be able to do once I played their two GOW games on PSP. I thought those were fun and I am glad to see they got a chance at the ps4.

The shotgun looks extremely powerful. o.0 3 shells at once!
In the previous demo game play where they used the thermite gun, that looked awesome and I knew this game would have some interesting weapons. I hope we see some crazy weapons later on.

Yeah RAD are holding it too close to their chest for fear of spoiling the plot. I'm not worried after seeing the demo walkthrough. They've proved the game works and flows nicely and impressions of the gunplay and QTE controls have been glowing. I'll be quite happy with a launch trailer now and the prospect of experiencing the bulk of the campaign fresh is pretty exciting.

Just hoping for a decent length. 8-10hrs minimum for single player only.

That's what I'm hoping for too. Hopefully the difficulty options are nice as I wouldn't mind replaying the game a few times.

That and I liked what I saw of the Lycan melee combat. Reminded me of the RE4 Krauser boss fight and I loved that.

Top Bottom