• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

5$ to fix Hdr + PSVR

CyberChulo

Quick update

Work perfectly for 4k hdr

#happy

Sorry, what is your solution?

Sad news is apparently my coupler solution doesn't work for 4K bandwidth. The signal keeps cutting out. When I hooked the hdmi cable directly to the TV from the PS4, everything is stable. I don't think it's a cable issue but I ordered a 1ft cable instead of a 1.5 ft one to see if the length mattered. I also ordered an HDMI extension cable so I can bypass using the coupler to see if that works. If this doesn't work, I will be pissed.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
Duct tape. Duct.

Yes, I know there's a brand called Duck Tape but that's a play on people who say it wrong.

f@luS

More than a member.
Sorry, what is your solution?

Sad news is apparently my coupler solution doesn't work for 4K bandwidth. The signal keeps cutting out. When I hooked the hdmi cable directly to the TV from the PS4, everything is stable. I don't think it's a cable issue but I ordered a 1ft cable instead of a 1.5 ft one to see if the length mattered. I also ordered an HDMI extension cable so I can bypass using the coupler to see if that works. If this doesn't work, I will be pissed.
First post.
A simple hdmi 4k coupler. They I stick on my PSVR unit. Take me literally 1.5sec to switch. Perfect as I have to manually connect the headset when I use so it doesn't take much extra effort. And I. Don't need to touch anything on tv or ps4

CyberChulo

First post.
A simple hdmi 4k coupler. They I stick on my PSVR unit. Take me literally 1.5sec to switch. Perfect as I have to manually connect the headset when I use so it doesn't take much extra effort. And I. Don't need to touch anything on tv or ps4

Are you using the coupler with a 4K tv or a 1080p tv? I had no issues with using it on my Regular PS4 and switching cables was no problem. But with the Pro and the higher bandwith for output, it maintains the picture with snow flake effects or it just cuts in and out.

This is the coupler that I bought. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CJHXY0U/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Is it the same as yours?

f@luS

More than a member.
I bought one that was tagged as 4K 60 compatible. It was sold 2 for 6 bucks I think. No issue PS4 pro

Yours should be ok. Maybe a defective one ?

CyberChulo

The above cable worked for my situation, I still get dropouts maybe once every time I turn on the PS4 initially but it's stable after it picks itself back up. I also tried a powered coupler and that didn't work.

Fliesen

for everyone who might be still confused about the issue and how much of a solution / workaround this is, and what other worarounds there are:

these diagrams ignore the USB connection, as well as the connection to the PSVR headset, as those don't matter here. Also, feel free to replace 'TV' with 'receiver'.
eA20HEK.jpg

8TmwYM1.jpg

"Solution" 1 is a hassle, especially if your PSVR processing unit is in a different compartment of your TV setup than your PS4, or if you're into cleanly routing your cables.

Solution 2 - the one proposed in this thread is cheap, and as 'easy' as a manual solution can be, as you'll only have to unplug 2 cables from the back of your PSVR box and 'bridge' both ends via a splitter that you'd (as suggested) just stick onto the box itself. - it's a simple bypass

Solution 3 is possibly the most comfortable, but the most expensive, also, some switches can be iffy with HDCP, 4k, HDR and whatnot - i'd prefer to not plug in yet another device into the chain between my PS4 and my TV.
Also, if you were only using one switch then, while you'd have split your HDMI signal to go TO your PSVR box and towards your TV seperately, but where would the cable from your PSVR go? so you'd either have to use yet another switch that has 2 inputs -> 1 ouput or you'd have to use 2 HDMI ports on either your TV or your receiver.

personally, i think i'm gonna go with the coupler. since your PSVR box needs to be SOMEWHAT accessible anyways (for the sake of plugging in your PSVR headset).

And yes, a huge blunder by Sony, but them's the breaks...

So do we have a model of coupler that we *know* works? I see some mixed reports in the other thread.

a simple Amazon link to one we know works would be great.

f@luS

More than a member.
I bought this one (2 pack just in case of ... whatever it's cheap )

Connecteur HDMI, Ugreen HDMI Extension Femelle vers Femelle Support Résolution 4K et 3D, Noir, Lot de 2 https://www.amazon.fr/dp/B00A30FELW/

It's French amazon link. Anyway this works totally for hdr+4K

for everyone who might be still confused about the issue and how much of a solution / workaround this is, and what other worarounds there are:

these diagrams ignore the USB connection, as well as the connection to the PSVR headset, as those don't matter here. Also, feel free to replace 'TV' with 'receiver'.

"Solution" 1 is a hassle, especially if your PSVR processing unit is in a different compartment of your TV setup than your PS4, or if you're into cleanly routing your cables.

Solution 2 - the one proposed in this thread is cheap, and as 'easy' as a manual solution can be, as you'll only have to unplug 2 cables from the back of your PSVR box and 'bridge' both ends via a splitter that you'd (as suggested) just stick onto the box itself. - it's a simple bypass

Solution 3 is possibly the most comfortable, but the most expensive, also, some switches can be iffy with HDCP, 4k, HDR and whatnot - i'd prefer to not plug in yet another device into the chain between my PS4 and my TV.
Also, if you were only using one switch then, while you'd have split your HDMI signal to go TO your PSVR box and towards your TV seperately, but where would the cable from your PSVR go? so you'd either have to use yet another switch that has 2 inputs -> 1 ouput or you'd have to use 2 HDMI ports on either your TV or your receiver.

personally, i think i'm gonna go with the coupler. since your PSVR box needs to be SOMEWHAT accessible anyways (for the sake of plugging in your PSVR headset).

And yes, a huge blunder by Sony, but them's the breaks...

You forgot solution 4. Hook up a 1->2 switch and a 2->1 switch so that you can bypass the Processor Unit and only be hooked up to one HDMI input on the TV instead of two.

Quick update

Work perfectly for 4k hdr

#happy

Certainly easier than getting behind the console to swap the cable every time, good to know it works, at least until there is a official solution.

Updated Processor Unit would be the best solution though, maybe we should all start emailing Sony and just maybe they will get the message that it really needs to be sorted.

excaliburps

Press - MP1st.com
It's a double faced duck tape. You can't see it. It's stable.
Again let cables on the coupler all time. Just put them on PSVR box at the same time you plug your headset. No hassles.

I'm just trying to share the most convenient way. I was very worried. Now I'm ok at least

Getting confused. But after fiddling with my Pro since I wanted to test PSVR with it, I now find that I need an easier way

The Pro's special HDMI cable will still be connected to the Pro, right? Anyone who can do a noob diagram? XD

Edit: saw diagram now.

DjRalford

Getting confused. But after fiddling with my Pro since I wanted to test PSVR with it, I now find that I need an easier way

The Pro's special HDMI cable will still be connected to the Pro, right? Anyone who can do a noob diagram? XD

Edit: saw diagram now.

You just unplug the 2 cables from the back of the PSVR PU and connect them together with the coupler, thats it.

hesido

PSVR box not passing through HDR not only undermines the PRO, but also the original PS4 which is supposed to be HDR capable.

And it also again shows PS4 Pro is an after-thought and not a well planned product.

DjRalford

PSVR box not passing through HDR not only undermines the PRO, but also the original PS4 which is supposed to be HDR capable.

And it also again shows PS4 Pro is an after-thought and not a well planned product.

They just couldn't get a chipset that could split a HDMI signal 3 ways and maintain a 10bit feed for the pricepoint they hit, hence why the SoC in the PU is 4k HDR capable but the HDMI crosstranseiver is not.

hesido

They just couldn't get a chipset that could split a HDMI signal 3 ways and maintain a 10bit feed for the pricepoint they hit, hence why the SoC in the PU is 4k HDR capable but the HDMI crosstranseiver is not.

They hit the price point 5$ short then, because this particular product seems to fix the issue.

Edit: Sorry, this doesn't fix the issue. I got it wrong. This makes the issue less of a problem. Then again, I don't see why they still need to split in HDR mode. The brick could work as a dumb pass through, no?

outsidah

This is probably one of the stupidest things I've seen this gen and on brand new hardware that launched back to back.

Props to GAF though for finding solutions.

Fliesen

You forgot solution 4. Hook up a 1->2 switch and a 2->1 switch so that you can bypass the Processor Unit and only be hooked up to one HDMI input on the TV instead of two.

myself said:
so you'd either have to use yet another switch that has 2 inputs -> 1 ouput or you'd have to use 2 HDMI ports on either your TV or your receiver.

but honestly ... buying / using 2 switches just to bypass the PSVR box is quite a bit of overkill - especially since using 1 switch often-times creates HDMI/hdcp handshake issues, signal degradation or fails to auto-detect input signals. I don't even wanna think about using 2 of them ;)

I posted this in another thread, but all of the technical points are applicable to a coupler.

Update on this! I received my MonoPrice cables in the mail today (see above). Here's my findings (all 3ft cables):

• Certified Premium cables (CPC) to the switch, then CPC to the PS VR Processing unit yielded a perfect signal.
  • CPC to the switch, then Amazon Basics High Speed Cable (ABHSC) to the PS VR Processing unit yielded a perfect signal.
  • 24 AWG HDMI Cable to the switch, then CPC to the PS VR Processing unit yielded a perfect signal.
  • 24 AWG HDMI Cable to the switch, then Amazon Basics High Speed Cable[/URL] (ABHSC) to the PS VR Processing unit yielded a perfect signal.
The signal from the PlayStation 4* to the switch must be impeccable. The surefire way to accomplish this is with a Certified Premium Cable, which are rated and tested for 18 Gbps transmission. And since the 24 AWG cable offers such low impedance, it, too, is able to hit that same signal speed.

Conclusion? Use Certified Premium Cables, if introducing an HDMI switch. It's not a bad idea to adopt these cables, as a general, since the PS4 Pro is HDMI 2.0a and assuredly will utilize the full bandwidth of the pipeline. And that's not even mentioning that future HDMI 2.0a devices we'll start use as they become more commonplace.

UPDATE
The HDR and Deep Color output settings stayed set to Automatic from powering on the PS4 from an off state, regardless of whether or now I had the switch going to the UHDTV or the Processing Unit. I also fully tested an HDR game, Deus Ex, and a PS VR game, PlayRoom. The settings remained the same and I did get HDR in Deus Ex in two attempts.

I could not, however, get a PS VR image out of the PS4 when switching HDMI inputs from PS4 being in rest mode.

Long story short, if using an HDMI switch, fully power off the PS4 before switching outputs. Again, a pain in the ass, but still better than the alternative.

PaulLFC

The PSVR brick gets hooked up between your Ps4/Ps4 Pro and your TV, but it doesn't pass through an HDR signal, so when you want to have an HDR signal you have to get rid of the PSVR brick in between, which sucks because it means you always have to change HDMI cables when you you switch between normal games and PSVR games.
Maybe I'm missing something but this seems like a stupid error on Sony's part - they obviously knew of the Pro when designing PSVR, why on earth they didn't make the PSVR box able to pass through the correct signal I don't know.

excaliburps

Press - MP1st.com
You just unplug the 2 cables from the back of the PSVR PU and connect them together with the coupler, thats it.

Right. Unplug the two HDMI cables from PSVR Processing Unit and connect to coupler. So the HDMI 2.0 that the Pro needs won't be fiddled with at all, yes? Getting one (coupler) soon. I can't be assed to switch HDMI cables now since my media stand where my Pro is housed means I have to take it out and plug the cable, and put it back in. Super annoying.

Can anyone confirm if these ones are good?
UK Amazon Link:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Cable-Matters-Gold-Plated-Coupler-Resolution-Ready/dp/B00CJHXY0U/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1479067744&sr=8-3&keywords=hdmi+coupler

US Amazon Link:
https://www.amazon.com/Cable-Matters-Gold-Plated-Female-Coupler/dp/B004PVW1DE/ref=redir_mobile_desktop?ie=UTF8&dpID=41lhPMHdTOL&dpPl=1&keywords=hdmi%20coupler&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&qid=1478017035&ref=plSrch&ref_=mp_s_a_1_8&sr=8-8

Looks to be the exact same item.

Edit::
Right well, these will work for any UK buyers, just scrolled down the Amazon UK page and saw this:

lVipRwA.png

Oh, just wondering, wont need a new wire for the PS4 VR will we? The HDMI that came with it should be ok?

Ocaso

Maybe I'm missing something but this seems like a stupid error on Sony's part - they obviously knew of the Pro when designing PSVR, why on earth they didn't make the PSVR box able to pass through the correct signal I don't know.

It is an incredibly stupid error. I'm sure they saved a few bucks per unit by omitting this capability, but forcing enthusiasts (the Pro's main audience) to now do cable juggling deserves our ire.

CyberChulo

Order this one, great piece of tech, double side velcro attached to the coupler and boom. HDR on, HDR OFF.

This one comes with 2 in a package
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CJHXY0U/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Unfortunately that didn't work for me. When connecting the ps4 to the tv through those couplers, I initially got a signal but then it started fuzzing in and out.

Then I bought this https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01326XFD2/?tag=neogaf0e-20

It works but when turn on the PS4 from sleep or off mode. I get the signal. Then it will blink in and out for out for 2 to 3 times then stabilizes itself. Better than getting another Pro just for VR.

For those that are having problems, know this:

HDMI is a fickle beast, especially now with HDMI 2.0a completely saturating the line. Low quality or off-brand cables are going to bring a lot off issues to light, as well.

So, a big step of troubleshooting AV equipment these days should normally be replacing the HDMI cable.

FHIZ

For those that are having problems, know this:

HDMI is a fickle beast, especially now with HDMI 2.0a completely saturating the line. Low quality or off-brand cables are going to bring a lot off issues to light, as well.

So, a big step of troubleshooting AV equipment these days should normally be replacing the HDMI cable.
Yeah. Been testing it out with Amazon cables and the one that came from the pro, and the switcher just will not work consistently, even if booting form a complete power down. Eventually the screen will just go black and come back with a bunch of white sparkling pixels in the dark. Going to try the coupler solution in a few days, with some more HDMI cables. We'll see how it goes.

Maybe it's just the Vizios that hate it. But directly from
the pro, I've got zero issues.

I'm honestly beginning to think that despite the stupidity of not having HDR pass through in the box, with how fickle this signal seems to be while introducing something between the console and TV, maybe it just wouldn't have worked consistently.

Yeah. Been testing it out with Amazon cables and the one that came from the pro, and the switcher just will not work consistently, even if booting form a complete power down. Eventually the screen will just go black and come back with a bunch of white sparkling pixels in the dark. Going to try the coupler solution in a few days, with some more HDMI cables. We'll see how it goes.

Maybe it's just the Vizios that hate it. But directly from
the pro, I've got zero issues.
Check out my post above, #83. I have three MonoPrice Certified HDMI cables in my switch's HDMI chain. One from the Pro to the switch. And then one each going out to the AVR and the Processing Unit.

And zero issues with my P-Series.

I can't prove this without the necessary tools, but I think the HDMI bandwidth is being utilized to its maximum with the Pro/PS VR. And as such, the signal gets fickle with even the slightest drop, be it by introducing a switch or a coupler.

boon

So is the solution to use a $5 coupler or do we need to use a powered HDMI switch? Swapping cables is no fun.

Thanks for the replies. First thing I did when I powered up my PS4 Pro today was scope out what the Processing Unit.

The PU (such a fitting acronym) glows red in standby. Then it turns white when the PS4/Pro turns on.

Marty Chinn, so yours stays red throughout? I do wonder if the hub is the issue. I can't imagine why it would be, but that's the only thing that changed in your setup between the time it was working and not. Am I correct in understanding that?

Hiya DJ, I posted this in the other thread but thought for better visability I'd pop it in here as well.

Just reading your post from the link in your post here.

So, by my calculation you have bought 2 CPC HDMI wires and 2 Amazon Basic HDMI wires and the switch?

Sorry to be a pain, I just dont want to be wasting money on wires that might not work.

This is the switch I have bought, luckily they ship to the UK via Amazon US so thats not a problem, just a small wait.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00629NHW6/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

So, I believe I have the same Sewell switch that your using (can you confirm?) now I just need the correct HDMI leads.
I have the two HDMI leads from Sony, one from the PSVR and one from the Pro so is it safe to assume these will work or do I need 4 new HDMI wires all together?

Will these HDMI cables be up to the job?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/AmazonBasics-High-Speed-HDMI-2-0-Cable/dp/B014I8SIJY/ref=sr_1_22?s=electronics-accessories&ie=UTF8&qid=1479319610&sr=1-22&keywords=HDMI&th=1

Or screw it, I might just go all out and order the ones you linked earlier, its costly from the USA but I just want this to work straight off with no mucking around.

These ones:

http://www.monoprice.com/product?c_id=102&cp_id=10240&cs_id=1024021&p_id=15427&seq=1&format=2

FHIZ

So is the solution to use a $5 coupler or do we need to use a powered HDMI switch? Swapping cables is no fun.

I've had zero luck with both. The HDMI switch that has been recommended (doesn't have power) gives a distorted picture and the coupler image drops out repeatedly. Giving it another go with the switch and monoprice cables going from every port on every device, but can't test that until the cables get here. If that doesn't work, maybe my switch is busted, because if it's working fine for DJ Lushious, then god knows what's wrong with my set up because I'm pretty sure we have the same series of TV.

If that's out, I'm on the lookout for a powered HDMi switch that can pass through the correct signal, but those seem to be super expensive at the moment.

ghibli99

Swapping cables? No thanks.

The best solution (for me) is to wait until Sony fixes this on the hardware side in the next PSVR revision.

f@luS

More than a member.
Swapping cables? No thanks.

The best solution (for me) is to wait until Sony fixes this on the hardware side in the next PSVR revision.
Once again. When you use PSVR you need to connect it. So this "fix" takes 1 more second and you needed to play with cables anyway for PSVR. It's very good

Caayn

I'm sticking with swapping cables for now. I wonder how long the HDMI port on my PS4 Pro will last.

Sony be damned for saving a few pennies by not including a HDMI2.0/HDCP2.2 port on the break-out box.

Top Bottom