• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

5$ to fix Hdr + PSVR

f@luS

More than a member.
I'm sticking with swapping cables for now. I wonder how long the HDMI port on my PS4 Pro will last.

Sony be damned for saving a few pennies by not including a HDMI2.0/HDCP2.2 port on the break-out box.
How can you not want this instead of swapping cable on PS4? It's 10000 easier

FHIZ

I'm sticking with swapping cables for now. I wonder how long the HDMI port on my PS4 Pro will last.

Sony be damned for saving a few pennies by not including a HDMI2.0/HDCP2.2 port on the break-out box.

If you're worried about that, then I'd take the cable going from your Pro to the TV out of the TV input and just plug it into the breakout box's input so you're not removing it from the pro itself all the time... your TV's HDMI port, now that's another question.

ghibli99

Once again. When you use PSVR you need to connect it. So this "fix" takes 1 more second and you needed to play with cables anyway for PSVR. It's very good
You assume everyone has their hardware in an easy-to-reach location. Mine sit on shelves underneath a desk. Crawling under there to unplug/plug in cables is a bigger pain for some than others. Also, duct tape on my hardware? I would never. ;)

SOLDIER

I've got the coupler, and would like to try VR later.

For reference, how does this work again? Which end of which cable goes where?

I've got the coupler, and would like to try VR later.

For reference, how does this work again? Which end of which cable goes where?
You're disconnecting the two HDMI cables at the back of the PU box, and using the coupler to join them together in a single line, running from PS4 to TV.

Edit: sometimes I'm glad of my shitty old 720p TV, as this is a problem I simply don't have. Still, it's a great shame and a flaw in the design.

SOLDIER

You're disconnecting the two HDMI cables at the back of the PU box, and using the coupler to join them together in a single line, running from PS4 to TV.

Edit: sometimes I'm glad of my shitty old 720p TV, as this is a problem I simply don't have. Still, it's a great shame and a flaw in the design.

This is to allow me to continue using HDR on the PS4, right?

And if I want to just use the VR, I take the cables out of the coupler and put them back on the PU? Is that the process?

This is to allow me to continue using HDR on the PS4, right?

And if I want to just use the VR, I take the cables out of the coupler and put them back on the PU? Is that the process?

Yes, but to me that's still problematic because you're putting wear and tear on the HDMI ports of the Processor Unit.

So Just to clarify things....

Does this not work for this?
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01K0B205G/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I would assume HDM 2.0 cable goes from PS4 Pro into this, then one HDMI 2.0 goes to TV (For 4k + HDR gaming), then another HDMI cable goes to the PSVR breakout box.

Is this not a valid solution to this problem? Yeah it's $50 but if it works, who cares?
No, a splitter will never work with this current configuration. The HDMI versions mismatch and HDMI will always downgrade to the lowest common denominator.

This is why how-swapping with the coupler isn't a good idea. There's a giant thread with a lot of information on this topic and more.

SOLDIER

So I tried the coupler I got from Amazon on my Pro/4K setup.

Good news: it totally works. You can plug the cables to the coupler and back again, and it doesn't reset any HDR settings on the PS4. You can do this while the device is still on in fact.

Bad news: when I plugged the cables back to the coupler and went to an HDR game, I got pixelation/artifacts on the screen. They went away once I plugged the HDMI cable into the TV proper.

Is this normal? If so, then the whole thing is a bust, because I don't want to have to see that stuff when running the cable through the coupler.

Borman

Are there no HDMI extension cables that you could use to just swap the cable from a more convenient point? Better than nothing.

So I tried the coupler I got from Amazon on my Pro/4K setup.

Good news: it totally works. You can plug the cables to the coupler and back again, and it doesn't reset any HDR settings on the PS4. You can do this while the device is still on in fact.

Bad news: when I plugged the cables back to the coupler and went to an HDR game, I got pixelation/artifacts on the screen. They went away once I plugged the HDMI cable into the TV proper.

Is this normal? If so, then the whole thing is a bust, because I don't want to have to see that stuff when running the cable through the coupler.
In the post above yours, authored by me, is a link to a thread that preceded this one. In it there are plenty of posts on how to get around the sparklies, or artifacts, that you're encountering.

I would love an OT on this, 'cause there's about three threads going on where the same questions are asked over and over again, but the answers never change. Everyone would need to flock over to the new thread to make it work, though, and I have no control over that.

Maybe a mod can help?

No, a splitter will never work with this current configuration. The HDMI versions mismatch and HDMI will always downgrade to the lowest common denominator.

This is why how-swapping with the coupler isn't a good idea. There's a giant thread with a lot of information on this topic and more.

How about if I use HDMI 2.0 cords for all 3? Will that cause problems going to the PSVR Box?
Sorry I am not much a tech person but I have a KS8000 shipping soon so I am trying to get this figured out.

PS4 Pro > HDMI 2.0 Cord > to Splitter < two HDMI 2.0 Cords one to 4K HDR Tv, and One to the PSVR Box

That way there wouldn't be a mismatch with HDMI 2.0 cords if I understand you correctly.

How about if I use HDMI 2.0 cords for all 3? Will that cause problems going to the PSVR Box?
Sorry I am not much a tech person but I have a KS8000 shipping soon so I am trying to get this figured out.

PS4 Pro > HDMI 2.0 Cord > to Splitter < two HDMI 2.0 Cords one to 4K HDR Tv, and One to the PSVR Box

That way there wouldn't be a mismatch with HDMI 2.0 cords if I understand you correctly.

The PSVR Processor Unit will be detected as a 1.4 port though so everything will fallback to 1.4. A splitter won't work because of that.

I bought the sewell IBIS switch and it didn't work at all for me. Some people had it working.
If you didn't use low-gauge or Certified Premium HDMI cables, then you're gonna have a bad time. Introducing a switch, or a coupler, into the HDMI chain causes enough of a signal drop-off with lesser cables. I surmise it's because the HDMI pipeline with PS VR is completely maxed out.

p_xavier

Authorized Fister
If you didn't use low-gauge or Certified Premium HDMI cables, then you're gonna have a bad time. Introducing a switch, or a coupler, into the HDMI chain causes enough of a signal drop-off with lesser cables. I surmise it's because the HDMI pipeline with PS VR is completely maxed out.
I used the recommended high speed certified cables from amazon basics.

Audioboxer

What an oversight. How this passes by with no one in hardware giving a shit whilst marketing prances around screaming about HDR I'll never know.

Most definitely waiting on the inevitable hardware revision done to PSVR.

FHIZ

Except those aren't recommended and they have been discussed several times as not being up to snuff.

I'm not trying to be a dick here, but literally 1-2 pages back I posted a link to all the requirements.

Well get ready for some more horror stories...

So, I got the monoprice cables, and the good news is that with those cables, the coupler solution seems to work. Haven't tested out anything in length (spent about 20 minutes doing VR stuff and regular play), but given drops would usually happen within minutes and I experienced none, I'm going to say that the certified cables definitely make this particular solution work.

Then comes the Sewell HDMI switcher. Up front, I'm going to say that I think I have to have a defective unit and have already contacted customer support to see if I could get a replacement. That said... here we go.

So I got four mono price cables. One going from the PS4 to the switch, one coming out of the switch and to the tv, then two going to/from the switch and processor box, back to the TV. Turn my PS4 on for what would be HDR mode. Nothing. Turn it off, hit the button on the switcher, and go to what would be my VR input on the TV, turn the PS4 back on, works. No fuzzies. Nothing. Figure I'll trun it off, try HDR mode again... again, nothing.

Try a different cable going from the switch out to the TV, put the cable that came with the Pro in, works. Try the Amazon basics cable, doesn't work. Put the pro cable connected to the ps4 and the switch in, then monoprice from the switch to the TV. Doesn't work. Return to the pro cable from the switch to tv, works for a bit. Reboot everything. Fucking doesn't work now. Also, the VR route doesn't work as well.

At this point, it has to be the switch right? I've tested literally everything else, and that's the only variable that I can't change.

Bottom line is... fuck Sony for this oversight. Playing Thumper for the first time with my Pro as well makes the oversight that much more stupid considering how good the higher res downsample looks in the VR compared to the base PS4. I really, really hope they make good on this and offer some mail in program or something. I'd be down with that.... but they won't.

Then comes the Sewell HDMI switcher. Up front, I'm going to say that I think I have to have a defective unit and have already contacted customer support to see if I could get a replacement. That said... here we go.

So I got four mono price cables. One going from the PS4 to the switch, one coming out of the switch and to the tv, then two going to/from the switch and processor box, back to the TV. Turn my PS4 on for what would be HDR mode. Nothing. Turn it off, hit the button on the switcher, and go to what would be my VR input on the TV, turn the PS4 back on, works. No fuzzies. Nothing. Figure I'll trun it off, try HDR mode again... again, nothing.

Try a different cable going from the switch out to the TV, put the cable that came with the Pro in, works. Try the Amazon basics cable, doesn't work. Put the pro cable connected to the ps4 and the switch in, then monoprice from the switch to the TV. Doesn't work. Return to the pro cable from the switch to tv, works for a bit. Reboot everything. Fucking doesn't work now. Also, the VR route doesn't work as well.

At this point, it has to be the switch right? I've tested literally everything else, and that's the only variable that I can't change.

Bottom line is... fuck Sony for this oversight. Playing Thumper for the first time with my Pro as well makes the oversight that much more stupid considering how good the higher res downsample looks in the VR compared to the base PS4. I really, really hope they make good on this and offer some mail in program or something. I'd be down with that.... but they won't.
I'm trying to picture this, so bear with me if I'm wrong/don't fully understand.

PS4PRO ----> HDMI ----> Switch

Switch1 ----> HDMI ----> HDTV
Switch2 ----> HDMI ----> PSVR PU

PSVR PU ----> HDMI ----> HDTV

When you turn on HDR in the PS4's System Settings menu the picture drops. Is that correct?

Also, what equipment is all in your HDMI chain? TV, AVR, etc.?

As for bolded/underlined, I couldn't agree more. Though I don't think it's an oversight. They made a conscious decision to not pass through HDMI 2.0a sources. I do not know why.

FHIZ

I'm trying to picture this, so bear with me if I'm wrong/don't fully understand.

PS4PRO ----> HDMI ----> Switch

Switch1 ----> HDMI ----> HDTV
Switch2 ----> HDMI ----> PSVR PU

PSVR PU ----> HDMI ----> HDTV

When you turn on HDR in the PS4's System Settings menu the picture drops. Is that correct?

Also, what equipment is all in your HDMI chain? TV, AVR, etc.?

As for bolded/underlined, I couldn't agree more. Though I don't think it's an oversight. They made a conscious decision to not pass through HDMI 2.0a sources. I do not know why.

The picture would drop with worse cables. But I had trouble just getting a signal through the switcher with the mono price cables. I kept at it after I posted this and finally got it, but very soon after the picture dropped for half a second, then came back but the bottom half kept flickering white every 10 or so seconds.

Nothing else in my HDMI chain. The only other thing of note is I'm using optical audio, but that shouldn't effect anything I'm having issues with.

I definitely got it to work with the Sewell switch and certified cables, but this whole set up is a shitshow. I'm selling my VR unit. too many damn cables, drops to 1080p when using the VR unit. It just is a bad implementation if you have more recent equipment that meets HDR spec. Never have I been screwed over by equipment like this before.

p_xavier

Authorized Fister
Well get ready for some more horror stories...

So, I got the monoprice cables, and the good news is that with those cables, the coupler solution seems to work. Haven't tested out anything in length (spent about 20 minutes doing VR stuff and regular play), but given drops would usually happen within minutes and I experienced none, I'm going to say that the certified cables definitely make this particular solution work.

I did the exact same, cables on their own work with HDR full bandwidth. The Sewell switch, even used as a coupler doesn't work. No signal at all with HDR feeds. Works with 1.4 HDMI devices.

CyberChulo

Would you mind breaking down how you have this hooked up? I have a KS8000 coming next week so I am trying to get a solution for this before then.

Thanks!

Using the cable that I ordered from Amazon, I connected it directly to the Pro. Then I either connect it to and HDMI coming from the TV or the HDMI from the PSVR Box.

I bought the IBIS switch and it only works with HDMI certified cables. I was happy until I started having random blackouts while playing. Anyone else having this issue with the switch? I checked all my connections and that's not the issue.

boon

I bought the IBIS switch and it only works with HDMI certified cables. I was happy until I started having random blackouts while playing. Anyone else having this issue with the switch? I checked all my connections and that's not the issue.
I am using the same IBIS switch, with 3ft Amazon Basics HDMI cables end to end...It's a lot of cables. It does work, with HDR in full effect on the KS8000, and not needing to power down the PS4 Pro before switching. It is taking up two inputs on the TV, but it works just fine.

I had my PSVR disconnected ever since I got the Pro and new TV because of cable switching nonsense. This gave me a chance to play a lot of Hitman, Rocket League, finish Ratchet and Clank and start The Last Guardian. It was a beautiful thing, but man it was nice to dive back in to Thumper, Hypercube and Headmaster last night. Not sure if any of those received Pro patches, but I was blown away again and stayed up way too late.

This is what I'm using:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00629NHW6/?tag=neogaf0e-20
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B014I8SP4W/?tag=neogaf0e-20

So what's the easiest workaround? I'm still a bit confused.
Edit:NVM i got it.

So the cable I seen posted a few posts above connects from the Pro to an HDMI going to TV right?

So HDMI CABLE>>>>>>>>PS4 PRO'S HDMI CABLE SWITCH This is for general use for HDR and stuff.

Now for VR you'd unplug the HDMI from the cable and plug it straight into the box and then the cable from the box to the PS4(through the hdmi switch cable) right?

Domingo

Neo Member
I tried using the Sewell IBIS switch and it's a bust.
This one: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00629NHW6/?tag=neogaf0e-20
It'll work one minute and crap out the next. Either the video will flash on and off or the audio will drop. Rebooting seems like a fix, but 30 seconds later problems will occur again.
I tried 4 different brand new high-speed HDMI cables in various combinations and they don't seem to matter.

The coupler is the closest thing to a "fix" for me. Since I have to set things up for VR to being with, one extra step isn't killing me. It is annoying that this is necessary, though.

I tried using the Sewell IBIS switch and it's a bust.
This one: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00629NHW6/?tag=neogaf0e-20
It'll work one minute and crap out the next. Either the video will flash on and off or the audio will drop. Rebooting seems like a fix, but 30 seconds later problems will occur again.
I tried 4 different brand new high-speed HDMI cables in various combinations and they don't seem to matter.

The coupler is the closest thing to a "fix" for me. Since I have to set things up for VR to being with, one extra step isn't killing me. It is annoying that this is necessary, though.

This thread has a report of it working. psyence claims the cables are the weak link.

VICI0US

I definitely got it to work with the Sewell switch and certified cables, but this whole set up is a shitshow. I'm selling my VR unit. too many damn cables, drops to 1080p when using the VR unit. It just is a bad implementation if you have more recent equipment that meets HDR spec. Never have I been screwed over by equipment like this before.

Yeah.. my LG B6 gets here in a week or so and i really don't want to deal with this headache. Might just sell mine as well. I got it free from taco bell so i'd be turning a profit anyway.

Domingo

Neo Member
This thread has a report of it working. psyence claims the cables are the weak link.

That's one reason I took the plunge. I used the same recommended cables as well as the ones that came with the PS4 Pro and PSVR. I also tried some spares I had from Microcenter. No luck on my setup and I tried a half-dozen different combinations. I'm on a Samsung KS8000 (TV) and a Denon S710 amp that otherwise work perfectly.
Maybe one more connection via the amp isn't helping? The coupler works 100% fine, though.

Ordered a couple couplers and some new HDMI cables hoping to get this to work. I've read that the distance of the cables can cause issues with the couplers does anyone have anyone have some insight on this?

Bought a few of these, they are stated as high speed and able to do 4K so hoping these will work well!

https://www.monoprice.com/mobile/Pr...Id=102&categoryId=10240&subCategoryId=1024020

My only fear with the HDMI cables is they say they are 10.2gbps and been reading that you need cables with a rating of 18gbps.

And ordered this Coupler as well. But I am curious i didn't see any 4K couplers or special couplers so hoping this one will do the trick.

https://www.monoprice.com/mobile/product/details/2781

Thanks for any information or insight!

That's one reason I took the plunge. I used the same recommended cables as well as the ones that came with the PS4 Pro and PSVR. I also tried some spares I had from Microcenter. No luck on my setup and I tried a half-dozen different combinations. I'm on a Samsung KS8000 (TV) and a Denon S710 amp that otherwise work perfectly.
Maybe one more connection via the amp isn't helping? The coupler works 100% fine, though.

Glad to hear you're not having any issue with the coupler. Hoping I can get it to work out easy not trying to have a switch or splitter or pay a ton of extra cash when I only play my PSVR once or twice a week.

whatwhatster

Neo Member
Just wanted to add my solution. I brought two male to female hdmi extensions cables.

The green HDMI is connected in my PS4 Pro and when I want to play PSVR I just connect the green HDMI to the left HDMI like you see on the photo.

HDMI extension right on photo is PS4 Pro and is plugged in HDMI 1 in the television.
HDMI extension left on photo is PSVR and is plugged in HDMI 2 in the television.

So this way it is just one handling if I want to play PSVR :).

Extension cable is on below,

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B013ICMXU6/

Varshes

Just got a LG B6 today and was wondering why the hell it said HDR was not compatible with this TV. Thanks for all the help and links, I'm hoping for a fix, but it doesn't seem likely at this point.

Top Bottom