• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

52 Games - 1 Year Challenge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rubius

Game 8 - Pilotwings Resort - 2:46

Picked it up on the cheap on Amazon. I knew it was more of a tech demo than anything else, but I'm still kind of disappointing with it. It's short, but mostly the jet pack missions are more trouble than they should be. The plane missions are fun and the gliding missions are smooth for the most part. The content is fairly limited with only about 35 ish missions that are really short to do. Would recommend if you really like perfecting score. Otherwise, it's worth it on the really cheap.

IMG_20140224_021430.jpg

Sakwoff

Hey-o! Somehow missed this before. Could be fun, I think I'm gonna join in. :D

Completed so far:

Game 1: Super Mario Land (SNES /w Super Game Boy) - 2h or something
I replay this from time to time. Always enjoyable, albeit brief. I particularly enjoy its weirdness, since it comes from a time when the aesthetics and tone of Mario games was not yet set in stone.
Played through normal + hard mode.

Game 2: Broken Age - Part 1 (PC) - 4h
The whole thing is so damned enchanting that I really did not mind the lack of brain benders. I loved the melancholic tone and subdued (but funny) humour. Excited for Part 2!

Game 3: Saints Row IV (PC) 26h
Really enjoyed this one. Beneath its coat of sometimes crude wackiness, this game has a lot of heart. It's also perhaps the only game of its ilk where I actually bothered to get all collectibles, since the basic traversal mechanics are incredibly fun.
Got 100% in-game, didn't bother getting all the achievements.

Game 4: Kirby's Dream Land 2 (3DS VC) 3:16h
This game was one of my favourite GB games as a child. Until I lost the cartridge that is, never played it since. I recently rebought it digitally on 3DS and played through it. I still love the game. Played through the game once, then went back and collected all the rainbow shards, then beat the true boss. The game is rather easy and short, but getting the drops can actually be pretty challenging. The boss also did take me a few tries until I had the pattern down. Was a nice trip down memory lane. :)

Game 5 - Wario Land II (3DS VC) 9:19h
Maybe one of the first cases where Nintendo pulled the "oh, you think you're finished? NOW THE FUN BEGINS" trick? Anyways, this is exactly what this game does. I was initially a bit let down by the game, especially since its predecessor is such a marvellous game. For your initial playthrough the game just makes you play through its levels in order, only to present you with a tally of "you've beaten about 40% of the levels" after the final boss. Then you get a map. And realize that the game is full of branching paths and hidden storylines.

I still think Wario Land 1 is superior, but I definitely appreciate what they did here. I always felt that the Wario series were the platformers where they could afford to be really weird and experimental beside the very codified Mario games.

Game 6 - The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds (3DS) 21:51h
Okay, big confession: I never liked 3D Zelda all that much. When OoT came out I was all like "GET OFF MY LAWN WITH THESE POLYGONS THINGS". I have kind of mellowed on that, but I still maintain that the series lost something in the transition between 2D to 3D, the series' high point being Link's Awakening. ALBW is the first game since back then that made me feel in a similar way.

Playing through this game was simply glorious. Don't care if it was because of nostalgia goggles or whatever. Loved it.

Game 7 - Super Mario Land 2: Six Golden Coins (3DS VC) 2:04h

And on with playing classics from my childhood via 3DS VC. Good stuff. Mario Land 2 is a pretty cool game. It is much more expansive than the first game by including some aspects of SMB3 or SMW like a world map. It's actually more nonlinear than even those because you can freely move between areas. However, it still maintains the relative weirdness of the first game and is actually pretty inventive in terms of scenery. SML2's biggest problem is probably its difficulty curve. Since every area can theoretically be played first, there is no real difficulty progression, and 99% of the game is rather easy. Except... the last level. Wario's castle is an intense step up in difficulty. It's actually not too bad in the grand scheme of things, but the jump is kind of jarring.

Game 8 - The Legend of Zelda (NES) 8h

This was actually the very first time I have played this game. And it was pretty fun. Being thrown into the world without any sort of guidance can be a little intimidating at first, especially since everything seems to look the same, but after a while you really learn your way around. The difficulty is a little uneven at times (some normal enemys like the knights you can only hit from the back can be supremely annoying, while every boss including Ganon was pretty much a pushover) but yeah. Great game. Also interesting how many elements of the later games show up as early as here.

Game 9 - Kirby's Adventure 3D Classic (3DS) ~7h

Well fuck me. This game is absolutely amazing. First things first: it is absolutely beautiful. Like... stunning even. And not only because they somehow managed to do this on the NES (which blows my mind). The backgrounds are incredible, the sprites are beautiful and clean. A masterwork of pixel-art and there is nothing much else like it, because then came the SNES era which looks markedly different. Plays fantastic as well. Really inventive levels, great powers (much more interesting ones than in Dreamland 2 as well), and that little shout out to the first Dreamland at the end of the game warmed my heart. tl;dr: Had a blast!

Game 10 - Gone Home (PC) ~2-3h

Okay, first things first for the game police: give me any definition of "game" that Gone Home does not fit into (hint: read your literature, I recommend starting with Bernard Suits), and I might be willing to listen to you. If you tell me that Gone Home has "not enough gameplay", then you have to tell me what "gameplay" actually is. Is it quantifiable? If shooting qualifies as "gameplay," then is "gameplay" maybe spatial interaction? Because Gone Home has plenty of that. Bottom line is: I don't think this claim is sustainable. This is also not really the argument people are making, as it only very thinly masks "I don't want this stuff in my games culture." So whatever. Why am I even talking about this? So... Gone Home. Exploring spaces and learning about their story by examining artifacts is something that has always deeply fascinated me, so I really had a lot of fun playing this. The story itself is a neat and well-told coming-of-age young adult tale that was just really pleasant. Made me kinda just... feel good. A feel-good game. That's it!

Game 11 - Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Summoner - Soul Hackers (3DS) ~35h

Fact: I love first person tile based dungeon crawlers. I love mapping out floors, I love it when these floors feature teleport pads, trapdoors and other nasty things, I love expansive "are you f'n kidding me"-dungeons. In short: this was right up my alley. Few things: I really liked the cyberpunk aesthetics. Remember when the internet was just promising this really magical thing? CYBERSPACE and stuff. Yeah. However, I think the game does not really do anything really exciting with it. It lacks the world-ending gravitas of the originals, and replaces it with a more detective-mystery-like thing, but the actual mystery turns out to be not all that interesting. The characters are cool however, with Nemissa obviously leading the charge. Mechanically, I found the game to be a little too easy. You don't even really need Demons, since the Protagonist and Nemissa are extremely strong. You're also just swimming in currency really quickly and never have to worry about any resources. That actually made the Dungeons feel a little tedious sometimes. Dang, I sound like a real negative nancy here... all in all, it's mostly just niggles and I enjoyed the game very much.

Yasawas

Game 14: Dangan Ronpa - Trigger Happy Havoc (Vita) - Completed 24/2/14. 20:21

Really enjoyed this. Slow start and not as mindblowing as VLR (will anything ever be?) but another very strong title from Spike Chunsoft. The ending was a lot smarter than any of my guesses at it with a couple of hours to go, I got a couple of bits of it but they tied it all together better than my dumb brain could. I thought the trial sequences were especially well done once I'd got the hang of them and enjoyed how in the investigative bits the game didn't let me proceed until I'd found everything I needed - it seems like it's going to be restrictive but I felt it let the story take centre stage and never let the player get lost looking for the next item to select to advance the game. Hype for the sequel.

Original post.

donny2112

Picked it up on the cheap on Amazon. I knew it was more of a tech demo than anything else, but I'm still kind of disappointing with it. It's short, but mostly the jet pack missions are more trouble than they should be. The plane missions are fun and the gliding missions are smooth for the most part. The content is fairly limited with only about 35 ish missions that are really short to do. Would recommend if you really like perfecting score. Otherwise, it's worth it on the really cheap.

IMG_20140224_021430.jpg

Wish this was available digitally (to always have available) for ~$15 or less. Loved flying around the island just for fun, but not $40 worth of stuff in it, for sure.

Slixshot

Banned
Went back through The Last of Us a few more times + a TON of multiplayer. Got my platinum. It was the type of game that I felt needed to be completed to its full extent.

Then went into The Last of Us: Left Behind. 100% that as well.

Lemstar

15: Worms 2 (PC) - 12h (01/30/14 - 02/24/14)

This was the go-to local multiplayer game for years back in the day, but I was never competent enough to finish the campaign.

The good news is that in the intervening 10+ years, I seem to have gotten better at games. On the other hand, some of the missions were just straight-up awful - in particular, all the levels where neither team starts out with weapons are completely dependent on the fact that the AI is not programmed to know how to use ninja ropes to pick up weapon drops, which makes up for their perfect aim and 2:1 numerical advantage and such.

Weiss

Banned
Game 12: Bravely Default - 80 Hours

So two weeks and 80 hours later, I finally finish this masterpiece. A little rough around the edges, but ultimately an amazing throwback to the glory days of Square.

Sendou

IMG_20140224_021430.jpg

It's only natural you wouldn't like it if you aren't into perfecting scores. I put 26 hours into it and loved every bit of the game. Now I only wish they made a sequel. For Wii U preferably.

By the way I'm pretty sure (although my memory is a bit hazy) that you missed out on quite a lot of content.

Wensih

I currently have a couple titles going at the moment.

Bravely Default which is freaking amazing. I'm only 15 hours in though.

Rogue Legacy which is also amazing. I gave it a high place in my Top 10 last year. I had played it for quite a bit, but never beat it, so I decided this month would be perfect. Still just as great as when I played it last year (although I probably should have switched places with Fire Emblem). Unlocking more classes and abilities is really fun, and progressing more and more into the castle each run through because of better stats is great. I'm on the final boss now.

Spelunky... I got to the jungle caves once... (level 2-1) then died immediately. I had 7 hearts too...... I'll focus more on that game at a later date.

alekth

Been mostly playing Tales of Graces f and re-playing FFXIII in February, so update is still mostly January stuff. Full list here.

Game 8: Portal - 6 hours, finished January 29, PC
It's one of those games I've meant to play for ages. Enjoyed the puzzles a fair bit and at least now I can get the references.

Game 9: Resident Evil 5 - 16 hours, finished January 31, PC
Played co-op with a friend who's a big fan of it as a shooter. So he knew where everything was, when it was happening and how. That's what probably lead to a very unexciting experience overall. We played mainly for the co-op though, and for that it was a good game.

Game 10: Uncharted: Drake's Fortune - 16 hours, finished February 25, PS3
First shooter I've finished with a controller. I'm very split on this game. For ages I got nowhere with it due to death on boat at the start, and so abandoned the while thing. I finally switched to easy a couple of months ago, and managed to move to the following chapters, but I generally got annoyed with it pretty quickly and played a chapter a week or so. I felt like playing it again once it was finally over, but I doubt I'll get to that any time soon.
It's very pretty of course, and I loved the music too. Still, it wasn't enjoyable mostly because I suck at the controls, but the bite-sized cliched story bits with n+1 enemies in between really aren't that special either.
I will likely pick up the second game at some point still.

Yuripaw

Banned
Finally beat a new game, been a while because this was kind of a long one, and I played a lot of Titanfall beta in between.

Game 8: Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 2/25/2014

I was hesitant that I would ever beat this game, because I had played it closer to release, and got pretty far, but I lost that save file before I ever finished the game. A lot of people told me it was not worth restarting to finish, but I went ahead and did it anyway. Overall I still think it is a fun game, and a much more enjoyable experience than the first FFXIII because it jumps you right into the combat, and story picks up at a better pace. As for the story, it is very complex, but not impossible to understand. Maybe not very grounded in reality, but it's still interesting, and kinda mind bending.

Made me wanna play Lightning Returns even more, which I will probably get to sometime this year as well.

Caode

// COMPLETE LIST HERE//

GAME 5
God of War: Ascension / PlayStation 3 /
Single Player
- 1st Playthrough
- 7 Hours 13 minutes 46 seconds

I bought this about a year ago on launch day, never played it, and sold it on. After Ghost of Sparta though I have a taste for the series again and picked this up on the cheap. This was interesting, probably the weakest in the franchise overall but still some very strong segments throughout, some incredible set pieces.and the odd part now and again that made me question how they pulled a lot of it off on the PS3. I found the combat to be a bit annoying at times, I just thought it wasn't as well balanced as the rest of the series and the overall pace of the game wasn't great but it was a decent entry in to the franchise overall.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important

IMG_20140224_021430.jpg

You're far away from 100% of content there, iirc

StingX2

Game 12: Mickey Mouse Castle of Illusion (Genesis) -2 Hours
(Started 2/25/14 / Finished 2/25/14)
My friend said I had to play this before playing the HD version and boy was he right. I never got to experience many Genesis games and this one is great. Hard as heck, and pretty trippy but a very enjoyable old school platformer.

Original posty

Caode

//COMPLETE LIST HERE//

GAME 6
Zone of the Enders HD / PlayStation 3 /
Single Player
- 2 Hours 31 minutes 27 seconds

In preparation for ZOE 3. It's going to happen... isn't it?! I'd forgotten just how short it was. Moving on to The 2nd Runner now, never played it when it first came out.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Game 12: Mickey Mouse Castle of Illusion (Genesis) -2 Hours
(Started 2/25/14 / Finished 2/25/14)
My friend said I had to play this before playing the HD version and boy was he right. I never got to experience many Genesis games and this one is great. Hard as heck, and pretty trippy but a very enjoyable old school platformer.

Original posty

Hard as heck?
It might be one of the easiest platformers ever, definitely so when compared with same era peers. Even back then, at 13yo, I was pissed the game was too short and easy even collecting all the gems.
Great game tho, glad you've enjoyed it. Music and levels are iconic, especially the candy(dat jelly!)/toy worlds.

Thought it was high time I gave you guys an update on my version of this challenge. I've been going for 52 100% completions in a year.

Game 1: Peggle 2 for 1000G
Game 2: Lara Croft: Guardian of Light for 200G
Game 3: Harms Way for 200G
Game 4: Mini Ninjas for 1000G
Game 5: Crackdown for 1250G
Game 6: Shoot Many Robots for 200G

Currently playing Bastion, completed the story, just need to do New Game Plus mode and that will be done too. Not sure if anyone else has been doing this version of the challenge here but if so I'd like to know how it's going. I'm already about a week or two behind schedule (hence Harms Way for an easy completion).

Game 7: Bastion for 200G

Now playing The Cave, Hydrophobia and Toy Soldiers: Cold War, with a little GTA V mixed in there. All 4 should be done soon enough.

Guru-Guru

Banned
Game 1: Zelda: A Link Between Worlds-16 hours
Great game, made me decide to buy a used Wii and play SS and TP
9/10

Game 2: Zelda: Skyward Sword-35 hours
SS is so frustrating because it goes from the highest highs to the lowest lows. The sheer amount of fetch quests (collecting tears, collecting song notes, collecting pieces of keys) was just too much. Stupid backtracking did not help either, such as having to go through the first dungeon a second time in order to collect some spring water.
6/10

Game 3: New Super Mario Bros 2- 6 hours
I played 3D Land for the first time about 6 months ago and decided to try out NSMB2 as well. It felt so uninspired compared to the former title. I know it supposed to be a throwback, but it literally had zero impressive or really fun moments in it.
5/10

Game 4: Resident Evil: Revelations (3DS version)-9 hours
I loved the first 4 hours or so of the game, particularly the ship levels, which were generally pretty creepy. The missions outside of the ship seemed to revolve around killing waves and waves of enemies, and as the game progressed the ship parts had a lot more swimming levels that I didn't enjoy. Even so, it was fairly enjoyable overall.
7.5/10

Game 5: Fire Emblem: Awakening-19 hours
Not much to say about this title. Was craving a SRPG and it definitely delivered.
8/10

Game 6: Zelda: Twilight Princess (Wii version)-35 hours
This game was way better than SS, IMO. Overall, the dungeons were more fun, I enjoyed the world and characters more, and there was not a crazy amount of filler.
9/10

Next up is probably RE4 for Wii. I have actually put about 6 hours into the new Kirby game, but the endgame is so frustrating (recycling of levels and fighting the same bosses over and over) so I am not sure if I will actually finish it.

Rubius

You're far away from 100% of content there, iirc

For me Beating a game is completing the main campaign or all the missions of the story mode.
Completing a game is an another story and is doing 100% of the content.
Beating Yoshi Island would be beating all the levels, Completing it would be getting 100% on all of them.
I use the Backloggery terms since they make sense for me. Beating a game is not seeing all the content, it's seeing all the main content.

But yeah, I'm sure that if I wanted to 100% the game, the value would go up easily. It's just not my type of game, I do not play Angry Bird or other Three Star games most of the time. But I would 100% Yoshi Island. Depend on the game. Like right now, I'm trying to 100% Wind Waker HD.

Weiss

Banned
Game 13: Devil May Cry - 6 hours (plus however long all my deaths and retries took)

Having only been introduced to the series through the reboot, which I actually liked at the time, can plainly say that this game blows it out of the water. The combat is a lot more challenging and satisfying, the soundtrack is awesome, and Dante's actually a likeable guy instead of the twit from DmC.

Having said that, the fixed camera angles got on my nerves and the platforming was dreadful.

StingX2

Hard as heck?
It might be one of the easiest platformers ever, definitely so when compared with same era peers. Even back then, at 13yo, I was pissed the game was too short and easy even collecting all the gems.
Great game tho, glad you've enjoyed it. Music and levels are iconic, especially the candy(dat jelly!)/toy worlds.

*shrug* I guess I'm just not as good then. Screw the bouncing A's. :(

okayfrog

Banned
Will start here and edit when I get home.

1. Pokemon X (3DS) - 1/11
Finally got around to finishing it after buying it at launch and several week long breaks. You know what's amazing about this game? The Gate theme. Love it. Also loved the team I had and man, now I want to play another Pokemon game. I mean, I can just continue this one and do extra stuff, but eh, my desire kinda dies out once I beat the Elite 4. One thing for sure: Exp. Share kinda killed the game. If I ever start another file, no exp. share, though leveling up Pokemon will be annoying.
2. Virtue's Last Reward (3DS) - 1/29
I heard mixed reception about this game -- well actually, that's not right. I'd hear that it was good, but not as good as 999. I'd hear that all the time. I kinda think I'd disagree with that. 999 may have felt more focused and contained, but the larger scope of Virtue's Last Reward along with the neat puzzle rooms and stronger focus on characters made it a better game. One of the few games to give me that empty feeling after beating it, but that might just be because I sunk 50 hours into it.
3. Ratchet and Clank Future: Quest for Booty (PSN) - 2/8 (hard mode)
It's a Ratchet and Clank game! It also has all the same weapons from the previous title, is only a couple hours long, kinda annoyingly difficult at times (that
first ghost pirate segment where everything was green and impossible to see
), and it introduced next-to-nothing new to the series. Oh, and no challenge mode. If I had paid money for it, I probably would have been a tad annoyed. Only worth playing for completion's sake. Even if you love the series, you can skip this and miss absolutely nothing.
4. Ratchet and Clank Future: A Crack in Time (PS3) - 2/22 (hard mode)
There are those that would call it their favorite in the series, and I can understand why. Flying around space, listening to space synth, and seamlessly transitioning into planet battles or platforming was pretty nice. However -- and maybe I'm asking for too much -- I wish the levels were a bit more open-ended. They were all much more straightforward and linear than previous titles. Again, this is supposed to be made up for with the random planets in space, but iunno, I think I'd prefer the larger levels. Gameplay was still the same ol' Ratchet and Clank, but the Insomniac Museum really reminded me of things that kinda felt missing in this game. The stadium wasn't as robust as previous titles, there weren't any fun little mini-games from gadgets, and most of the weapons didn't feel like anything new. I mentioned the Insomniac Museum because there are some neat looking weapons, gadgets, and even extra stadium events that seemed cut due to either time constraints or quality control, and it kinda sucks seeing those neat things that the game was lacking in. Last boss was great, though, and I'm sure Challenge mode will be a lot of fun. Really, I'm being too harsh on the game. It is a noticeable upgrade from Tools of Destruction in terms of presentation and graphics, and I gotta commend it for that.
5. The Typing of the Dead: Overkill (PC) - 3/6 (Motherfucker difficulty)
Got this the second I got home from work on Halloween last year (might have bought it on my phone at work, actually) and it took me four months to be a five hour game. Oh well! Such assy graphics and in all honesty, some of the appeal is lost from the original Typing of the Dead. See, the original was a spin-off of House of the Dead ("well duh") where the serious business characters were placed in a seemingly fantastical situation. So while there was some silliness, it was still kinda serious because the main characters acted serious. Then in Typing of the Dead, they were given keyboard controllers and had to type eccentric phrases. In Overkill, they're not so serious, so something like Typing of the Dead isn't out of left field. They also don't have keyboards for guns which is rather disappointing (though understandable due to the development history of the game). Nevertheless, it's still a lot of fun as I love typing games. The last boss, however, didn't work. I don't wanna spoil anything, but they tried something different typing-wise and there must have been an error somewhere because as I said, it doesn't work out like it's supposed to. Whatever, still gonna probably beat it on Hardcore mode for some easy achievements.
6. Guacamelee (PC) - 3/8
Guacamelee had some solid reviews, but the one thing that stuck out before I had played the game was the memes. And when I actually did play the game, the memes were noticeably annoying. That being said, those mem pictures were the worst part of the game. The rest was a pretty damn solid Metroidvania with cool artstyle, some neat music, and a lot of cool sound effects. The gameplay is also pretty solid when you get a nice flow going, but there were little flaws here or there that rear their ugly mugs during the infierno challenges. Like how every enemy flinches when hit except for those four-armed sword dudes when starting up their spinning attack, and you don't even know they're going to do that attack until it's too late. One inferno challenge required jumping from one wall to another with a dodge required right after jumping. I'd jump then dodge, but because I hit dodge way too fast, it would register the dodge first then the jump. Just didn't make any sense. But as I said, a pretty solid game. Still got two infierno challenges to gold and hard mode to complete if I feel like it.
7. To The Moon (PC) - 3/9
The guy knows how to do emotional moments and some decent music, but it's a shame he doesn't know how to do anything else. The game's controls are fairly assy even though it should be pretty dang simple. Clicking around is annoying and using the arrow keys along with space bar doesn't work too well as you miss out on items you need to click on. But the biggest problem with the game is the writing. As I said, there are great moments, but the dialog itself is horrendous. All the characters sound the same and act like they're 14. Overall it feels like a high schooler's fan fiction. Gave me some fine feels, but I just don't think I could get past the horrendous dialog.
8. Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons (PC) - 3/15
took me several tries, but I finally got through it. I thought the control scheme makes the game worth playing, but overall I felt the game had a sorta insincere charm to it. There were a few great moments, however, like
walking amongst the aftermath of a battle between "giants"
9. Joe Danger 2: The Movie (PC) - 3/18
Whargarbl. It reminded me of Trials at first, but other than the fact that you ride on a motorcycle from one end of the map to another in both games, they're completely different. Joe Danger is colorful, requires more buttons, and has a lot of annoying objectives. That being said, you don't have to struggle with every little obstacle and the levels are very short with checkpoints, so it's overall a more forgiving game. That being said, sometimes I felt like getting certain moves to work was a real pain, like boosting in mid-air or double jumping. Hell, in one of the very first levels there's a bonus objective that requires double-jumping yet the game doesn't even inform the player that they can double jump. I kept trying over and over and over again to get it without double jumping until I pushed "X" twice in my frenzied state and figured it out. Fairly annoying. And those combo the level objectives weren't explained as well as they could have been either as you have to both combo the level AND complete the main objective. They really could have been clearer about that as I thought my game was just glitched for a while. Complaints aside, it's a pretty damn fun and frustrating game. I completed the main six acts and the deleted scenes 100%. When the DLC goes on sale, I'll pick it up and try and get 100% cheevos.
10. Ratchet & Clank: Into the Nexus (PS3) - 3/23
In 2008, in lieu of a true Ratchet and Clank sequel, Insomniac released Ratchet and Clank Future: Quest for Booty. It shared most of the same characters as Tools of Destruction, same weapons, and same graphical fidelity and technological presentation. I found the game to be somewhat of a disappointment as I had heard it was short and accepted that, but it also had absolutely nothing new and was overall rather unexciting and uninteresting. It also didn't have a challenge mode, I mean, c'mon, which Ratchet & Clank game doesn't have a challenge mode? The next game in the series was A Crack in Time in 2009, which feels like a noticeable upgrade from Tools of Destruction/Quest For booty. And then... nothin' for four years (in terms of mainline games) until Into the Nexus. Priced at half-price and reportedly taking half the time, it didn't sound too bad. I started it and immediately was (I'm not sure if this is the best term) appalled. The game felt different from A Crack in Time. It felt worse. It played worse, the first few weapons were uninteresting, the story seemed thrown together, it looked worse, and the framerate was worse. Everything about the game was worse. And for the most part, this holds through throughout. And Level 3 is the max? The fuck? The game kinda feels like they half-finished a game for the PS2 generation and thought, "Why don't we just go back to that?" So the game isn't as polished as the game that came before it in the series and that bothered me. However, I kinda got over that annoyance. The weapons are pretty fun, it's a tad more difficult than other games in the series (which was neat), jetpack combat is pretty dang fun (though not used enough), and the grav boot sections (though few and a far between) were also pretty neat. I think I'm just a sucker for R&C games because even with all the problems I had, this would still probably be a 4/5 (though 7/10 on a bigger scale). If you're looking for polish, you're not gonna find it here. This is a rough game. But it's got all the R&C mainstays.
11. The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds (3DS) - 3/29
I finally beat it, but I'm sure I'm missing a lot of stuff. I don't even have the Pegasus Boots and I'm sure they're in the game somewhere along with a couple other items. That being said, I can't see myself going back and completing that file as I'd rather restart the game on Hero Mode. I really wish Hero Mode was available from the beginning. I had a lot of problems playing through Link to the Past a couple years ago, but not too much with Link Between Worlds. I feel like it's a great game hampered by the lack of challenge. The story's aight, enemies are neat, bosses look cool, dungeons are intuitive (if a bit small), graphics look solid, music is fantastic, and the gameplay's a noticeable leap from Link to the Past. But without much challenge, the game falls a bit flat.
12. Dust: An Elysian Tale (PC) - 3/31
Goddamn do the characters look awful. Like some Deviant Art shit done in MS Paint. Just atrocious. Dust looks like he stole his clothes from Chris-Chan's wardrobe. Even though the characters look like crap, the environments at least look pretty damn nice. The music and sound's alright. Gameplay's pretty damn solid and can be entertaining, though the parry system feels like it could have used a little bit of tinkering. And who ever decided that dodge and magic attacks should use the same bar is silly. Makes navigating the map slow and frustrating sometimes. That kinda leads to a big problem with Dust: Backtracking. I enjoy backtracking in games usually, but I did not enjoy it in Dust. The game is not friendly at all to those who want to backtrack. Sometimes you'll go back to an area and still have to clear enemies out to move on. There are also only a few parts of each map you can teleport to, meaning you're gonna spend a lot of time backtracking if you don't get items the first time through, and you won't as a lot of items require new powers you get later in the game. I mentioned the combat earlier. Enjoyable, but broken. I played through on Hardcore and most of the game was me either dying in one hit, or obliterating the enemies with no problem. This held true up until toward the end when I became pretty unkillable. And I never even got the best armor/augment which should make me even more stronger. It's a fun romp, but it definitely should have been put in the oven a bit more for some fine-tuning.
13. Super Mario 64 (N64) - 4/11
And with that, I'm a quarter done! My parents bought me a Nintendo 64 in 1998. The game that came with it? 1080 Snowboarding. Thinking back, I always thought I was different, like my taste in N64 games was somewhat eccentric and that 1080 was the first step toward that. But now I realize that there's a much more boring answer. The reason I never owned games like Mario Kart 64, Goldeneye, Star Fox 64, and, the game I just beat for the first time, Super Mario 64, is because those games came out before I got an N64. I can't believe I never thought of that. So simple. Guess I expected more from myself, wanted to sound like I'm different when I really was just boring. Oh well. So, Super Mario 64. I feel as if I can't make a real critical review of the game as the game could nearly be considered legal and I've known almost everything about the game without even ever playing it. Nothing in the game really surprised or wowed me because it's all nothing new. For the time it was released it definitely was, and had I been blind to all the details in the game, I might have gotten some enjoyment out of it. But as everything is the way it is, you're in a castle, you jump around, and you collect stars. The camera is crap, it really is. The controls are alright, but Banjo-Kazooie controlled better two years afterwards and every 3D Mario since has had better controls. I guess that had I played it in 1996, I would have found it neat and it would become a real nostalgia thing. But that didn't happen. So, every 3D platformer I've played since controls better and looks better and I already know everything about the game. Well, at least I can say I've finally beaten it... 120 stars as well.
14. Trials HD (PC) - 4/13
FINALLY beat all the tracks. Yes, that is what I consider to be beating the game. It's fun and I hate it. It's great and it makes me want to kill something. But really, it only bothers me once when "15 minutes left" or "250 deaths left" pop up AND GODDAMN DOES THAT PISS ME OFF. FUCK YOU, I WANT TO KEEP TRYING GODDAMMIT... really, nice game.

2/26: I really need to step up my game. I am on pace right now for not even half of 52 games. I've got short games like Into the Nexus, Brothers, Dust, and To The Moon that I should definitely play through, along with games where I'm nearing the end like Darksiders.
2/26-2: Just beat Divekick with Uncle Sensei. I'll mark the game as "beaten" once I've beaten it with all characters.
3/6: Family Sharing with friends means I won't be playing video games. Dammit, why did I do this? I also can't get a 100% combo in Joe Danger 2. Well I can, but it doesn't register. Such bullshit.
3/10: Not necessarily at an impasse, but not sure what to go to next. I played some more of Brothers, but even though it's a short game, I still get bored of it after a half hour of playing. Probably will finish that next nevertheless. Also finally beat another dungeon in Link Between Worlds, so hopefully I'll beat that by the end of the month. Ought to return to Dust since I started on Hardcore difficulty and I'll really start to suck if I'm away from it too long. Then there's still Joe Danger 2, ugh.
3/17: Been following my post from the March Backlog thread and doing fairly well. I posted eight games in hopes of beating four and I'm over halfway into March with four of 'em beaten. All I have left is Joe Danger 2 (1-2hr left for completion), Link Between Worlds (5hrs?), Ratchet and Clank: Into the Nexus (5hrs), and Dust: An Elysian Tale (7-8hrs?). So around 20 hours of gaming over the next two weeks. Very doable. Just gotta beat Ratchet and Clank this Friday and Dust next Friday and spend random hours throughout the week playing through Joe Danger 2 and Link Between Worlds. I think I'mma make it a bit harder on myself in April. I need to play a bit of catch-up with some games, so Dark Souls, Peacewalker, Asura's Wrath DLC, Walking Dead DLC, The Swapper, Trials Evolution: Gold Edition (both HD and Evolution), and Super Mario 64. That sounds like a solid line-up. If I beat Peacewalker, I'll move onto Ground Zeroes which shouldn't be bad. If I beat Dark Souls in time, I'll pick up Dark Souls 2 at PC launch for May completion, and if I beat Trials Evolution, I got Trials Fusion for May completion as well. Gettin' pretty set up heading into summer and the Steam summer sale.
4/1: About on track, one game off. April might really mess me up, but I'm confident.

Caode

//COMPLETE LIST HERE//

GAME 7
Zone of the Enders: The 2nd Runner HD / PlayStation 3 /
Single Player
- 1st Playthrough
- 4 Hours 19 minutes

I never played this back when it originally came out, it was decent, very tedious at times, and insanely short just like the original. Nice visuals though.

Ceallach

Smells like fresh rosebuds
Game 12: Ducktales Remastered. 4 hours. Steam. Fun throwback but it felt off for reasons I can't explain.

Game 24: Danganronpa /21 hrs
I've said my peace bout this game elsewhere. Overhyped, and waaay too easy.

Game 25: Professor Layton and the Unwound Future / 18 hrs
It is what it is. Finished, missing six puzzles. I usually go back but I'm kind of sick of it at the moment, maybe I will. I like the interactive puzzles more than the riddles or math puzzles. Just trying to play through all of these since last year, making steady progress!

I've half played a bunch of other shorter games in the last week like Outlast and Lone Survivor, I could probably polish those off soon but I don't know if I feel like it. Also started Apollo Justice and am finding it an amazing palate cleanse after Danganronpa. I can't believe I've heard negative things about it...only two cases in though, loving it.

Game 15: Tomb Raider: The Last Revelation (PC) - 14 hrs 16 mins
Completed the game with all secrets. Probably up there with 3 as my favorite Core TR title. The level design is just fantastic here and I didn't mind the backtracking as others did. I had to give up and use a walkthrough about halfway through however. :(

updated post.

End of month update!

Game 17: Finding Teddy - 1.4 Hours
Funny one this, really enjoyed some aspects of it but as soon as you got the thing worked out it became a bit of just go here, go there. I know backtracking is bar for the course of the genre but seemed excessive here.

Game 18: Bioshock Infinite: Burial At Sea Episode 1 - 2.4 Hours
I enjoyed Infitte but not enough to get the Season Pass, then along came the steam sale so got it really cheap and happy I did. Best part was easily seeing some of Rapture before it all went to hell. Looking forward to see what Episode 2 brings now.

Game 19: Crysis - 8 Hours
Happy to finally play this an get it done, gameplay why it was alright but still looks really nice for a game so old. By about half way though I just wanted it over with really.

Game 20: Steamworld Dig - 5.7 Hours
I put many an hour into Motherload and can't wait till Super Motherload hits PC so this was a great way to get some of that fix. Challenege rooms and stuff were a nice break and never too difficult, looks really sharp and nice on the PC as well. Only downside, I'll always be about 400 gold short form getting the final upgrade. Annoying.

Original Post: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=97786265&postcount=488

Krafter

Original Post updated

Post updated with my last 3 games, putting me at 14 games at the end of February. On pace to hit the 52 mark by around early August, and 84 for the year.

Game 12: NES Open Tournament Golf (NES) - 6 hours
3DS ambassador game, I could not get the hang of even hitting par. Played at lunch break for a bit, will move on to better games.

Game 13: Super Stacker (PS3) - 8 hours
Puzzle game, very easy to mess up, Crazy hard trophies for a game of this ilk. Fun, though, easy enough to jump in and kill a few stages in quick bursts.

Game 14: Blazing Angels: Squadrons of WWII (PS3) - 20 hours
Thought the controls were very well done, but later missions' difficulty and my motion sickness combine to drop me out of this, probably around the 60% mark. On the PC, I probably would have been fine.

dcassell

Banned
This whole time I've just been editing my original post on page 2, but so far this challenge has been coming along smoothly. 10 games in at 8 weeks, and still going strong. Trying to polish off a HL2 playthrough before Stick of Truth drops next week.

Game 12: Donkey Kong Country Returns [3DS] 15:42

This game was a ton harder than I thought. Never played a DK game properly before because I didn't have a SNES growing up, so never got into the series, but wow awesome level design and great challenge. I think so much less of Mario now.

Updated post here.

Burnburn

Game #8: Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze - 8 hours

Just beaten for now, I haven't done all the levels yet. After the amazing Returns I had high expectations for this game, and when I found out that (again) key people left at Retro I was a bit iffy. But, they proved me wrong and did it again, they blew away my expectation. It expands on Returns, adding more charm, better music, better bosses and the enviroment feels more interconnected while keeping the thight platforming. A truly great sequel, just like DKC2 was to DKC1 at the time. There were stages where I had a smile on my face, stages where I stared my eyes out at the beautifull scenery and even stages that made me feel nostalgic to Returns. The last world is the best world I have ever played in any platformer. Bravo Retro, this game is a true masterpiece. 9.5/10

Original Post

Adahn

Original Post

Total: 12/52

February's games:

Game 8: Danganronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc (Vita) c.23.5 hours
Great visual novel with some real twisted moments, with exceptionally strong writing/translation work and a nice side game unlocked at the end. I wasn't as big a fan of some of the class trial mechanics, and I'd have preferred more voice work, but still a thumb's up overall

Game 9: The Wolf Among Us: Episode 2: Smoke and Mirrors (PS3) c.2.5 hours
Was disappointed in this, if I'm honest. I think the series has so much potential, but they can't quite seem to nail it - and after such a delay, a short filler episode makes you wonder what the hell took them so long to push it out. More than any other Telltale episode I've played, this one came closest to just feeling like a pure VN

Game 10: Ys: Memories of Celceta (Vita) c.35 hours
Awesome JRPG, although it manages to start slow and the 'Normal' difficulty is far too easy. I completed it initially after 24ish hours, then went back to 100% everything I could in a single run. I've since started a NG+ run on Nightmare, although with the equipment from the original playthrough I've yet to find anything too challenging. So yeah, could have done with some more tinkering to make it a little less skill spammy

Game 11: Contrast (PS4) c. 5 hours
Ever since this was announced I've been in love with the artistic style. I'm glad I waited though, as most of the launch bugs seem to have been ironed out. It's a nice little game, with interesting mechanics, but it feels rushed, and you have to wonder what the developers could have achieved with more time and money. Music was great too, although I can appreciate that it wouldn't be everyone's cuppa.

Game 12: To the Moon (PC) c. 4 hours
I've been meaning to play this for ages, but somehow never found the time. It had been suggested by so many friends I thought there would be no way it wouldn't click for me, but I found the playthrough very tough. The whole of Act 1 I felt was awful, and I found the narrative over-trite and the main characters very, very annoying. Sure, there were some moments that were nearly emotional as the story progressed, but I found myself drifting away further and further and had to force myself to keep going until the end. And the control system sucked, why no WASD movement huh?

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
wsdo500-e1392690420201.jpg

14. Weapon Shop de Omasse (3DS): 9:17, Feb. 28th.
My first impressions of the game. Well, having finished it now, the game lasts for too long. I feel like if it had been maybe 5 hours, I would have enjoyed it more. The main part of the actual gameplay revolves around a lite version of a rhythm game, and the songs are the same. For 9 hours. So I got tired of most of those songs pretty fast. The rhythm aspect gets more engaging towards the end of the game, but for most of the game it's too easy. It just wasn't that fun. The polishing segments were boring, but you should do them often to up the stats of your weapons. The characters are okay. The story is okay. The other major part of the game is that it's supposed to be a comedy, except it's just not really funny. It made me smile a few times, but I wasn't too enthralled by the comedic attempts. The localization team did have some fun with the script, with words like "moe" and "waifu" appearing throughout the game in its equivalent of Twitter, the Grindcast. Hell, I'd say that the Grindcast is probably the best thing about the game since it's downright silly and goofy. Not to mention that you'll be seeing it a lot, especially in the endgame when you're just holding the L button, trying to speed up the feed to progress the game. I was not a fan of the laugh track feature that pops up during cut-scenes, but I'm sure it might be charming for someone else. In the end, it's a mediocre game. 5.5/10

Game 14 finished. Can't say that I'm really a fan of Weapon Shop de Omasse, but if it ever goes on sale for $2.99 like the other Guild games did, you may want to pick it up and see if it's your particular cup of tea.

Game 1: DOOM - 7 hours 41 mins

Always an enjoyable trek through old doom. It still holds up to this day. I used the Brutal Doom mods this time around with the Doom Metal soundtrack and I have to say I was really impressed by the quality of the upgrades. It was a lot of fun. Many games today cannot capture the sweet unbridled awesome of blowing demons away in a decades old game.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Game 2: Starcraft II: Wings of Liberty - 15 hours, 22 mins

I had been meaning to finish this game for a long time and just never got around to it. I started it and got most of the way through back when it was new and then just...stopped. I'm glad I finished it though. It was a tremendous experience with that good ol' Blizzard polish. It never fails. They know their shit and know how to make me want to come back for more. I'm glad I have the expansion and will most likely start on that next.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Game 3: Tomb Raider (2014, PS4) - Roughly 6 hours

I don't really know where to begin. I'll just get out of the way that I enjoyed the game. It was pretty. It was action packed and the whole presentation was crazy looking.

Now for my qualms:

It was short.
It was linear.
It was overproduced.
It was unintuitive in parts and yanked the controls frustratingly from my hands when it wanted Lara to look cool doing finishers YET STILL ALLOWED ME TO BE MURDERED.

Old man yelling at clouds statement: I remember a time when I could plop in front of the tv for days and play games like this. Now I get it done in two casual sittings. Why? Why are these games so short and yet they are floundering the industry with enormous budgets that sink companies? It's unfortunate. I paid 40 dollars for this game on an Amazon discount offer and I am even unsure that it was worth that much.

Game 4: Ducktales: Remastered - Roughly 5 hours

I love me some Ducktales. Always have, ever since I was a child. I grew up watching this show and it was my favorite of the Disney afternoon programs. This game was gorgeous and I have to commend Wayforward for their terrific use of color, design and their fortuitous advantage of getting most of the original voice actors for the game via Disney! (Those that were still alive). I heavily recommend this game to anyone and everyone.

My only complaint...that last level. What in the friggen world. Wayforward took a game that was already "Nintendo hard" and decided to kick it up a notch for most of the levels. For that last level, which was all brand new, they went bananas. Completely unforgiving compared to the difficulty in the rest of the levels. I still give this game extremely high marks for what it does well though.

Game 5: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night - 4 hours, 11 mins

I've always wanted to complete this game but never got around to doing it. I expected it to take longer, even to get one of the "bad" endings. I didn't get any assistance in doing this game and went in blind. As it pertains, I didn't get one of the "good" endings by defeating Dracula, but I organically completed the game and got credits. That counts it good enough for me.

The gameplay is excellent, the music is timeless and it is definitely a testament on how a good game can hold up over the years. The game is getting around 17 years old now and still plays like a champ.

Game 6: Star Ocean: The Second Story - 39 hours, 17 mins

This game complete has been 15 years in the making for me. I have owned the game since it was new and just never finished it. Several false starts.

Overall some thoughts:

- It is still a terrific game with a great story.
- It still looks beautiful for a PS1 game.
- The options are solid and I never felt sad with any of my choices. The characters are very cool and interesting.

One big con:

- The battle system does not hold up. It might be just how many games I've played since then and am used to more modern features, but there were some inexcusable parts of the battle system. One of which, is the potential to whiff your target, over and over and over again because they are in the air and you are using a melee character. Another is the potential for your character to be given status effects like "Stone" or "Paralyze" on a single random hit. Get your guy un-paralyzed? Good, the enemy just nicked him again and is re-paralyzed. Since stone and paralyze are treated as the equivalent of death in this game, it got very annoying, very quickly.

A couple smaller annoying cons:

- You are limited to holding 20 of an item at a time. This just doesn't feel like enough when you are blowing through MP regen items especially.

- The AI for characters you aren't using don't make great decisions much of the time. It will happily stand in bad stuff and get pummeled. It will cast spells that you don't want and the options for giving your characters "Do X most of the time" is very limited. This goes hand in hand with the previous complaints about the battle system and makes me just wish the whole thing was turn based.

Game 7: Mega man - 2 hours

Played this on the anniversary edition on the PS2. Game is still hard as all hell even today. I believe the PS2 feels like it has input lag sometimes but that may have been just the game. I haven't busted out my cartridge copy in awhile.

Game 8: Mega man 2 - 2 hours

Played this on the anniversary edition on the PS2. This one I've beaten on several occasions and just happened to be in the way of me completing my way through Mega Man Anniversary edition. The game is still one of my favorite Mega Man games and still holds up today. Great music, solid gameplay and just plain fun.

Game 9: Mega man 3 - 3 hours

Played this on the anniversary edition on the PS2. My personal favorite Mega Man game. The music is fucking amazing. I love the bosses and I just think it is the most solid of the NES games. It's also just about as hard as the first game to me with all of the twists and turns like needing to beat all of the robot masters from Mega Man 2 as well as the normal Wily stages.

Game 10: Half-Life - 8 hours

One of my perennial favorites. Half-life truly is one of the greatest games ever made. The story is fantastic. The gameplay is still tight and holds up today. The graphics, while rudimentary are servicable. All in all, still fantastic this many years after its initial release. I will be delving back into another run of Half-Life 2 soon because this series is still dear to my heart.

Game 11: Professor Layton and the Diabolical Box - 17 hours 04 minutes

There is something very special about the Layton games. They're very fun, well thought out and utterly addicting once you get engrossed into them. The anime cutscenes that happen at regular intervals are a joy to watch. These always remind me of a revival of the adventure game genre with a special hint of brainteasing goodness as well. They feel fair, though some of the puzzles can be frustrating at times. There is a good variety of puzzle types in each game that feels like there is something for everyone in regards to finding one to be good at.

The story in Diabolical box is arguably better than the previous entry. I enjoyed the story of a potentially lethal mystery artifact. It all felt much more Indiana Jones than the previous game. It had good sequences and kept me guessing the whole way. Definitely a recommended entry.

Game 12: Call of Duty: Ghosts (PS4) - Roughly 5 hours

It has been a long time since I played a Call of Duty game. I was rather upset with the series after Modern Warfare 2 when they clearly didn't give a shit about the single player anymore. I understand the multiplayer is the most popular aspect of the game, but I found it (and still do) a shame that they began to completely neglect the single player campaigns for these games. I grew up on single player FPS games and I would love to see more put emphasis on the campaign mode. I decided to give this game a chance as my free game during Target's Buy 2 Get 1 free sale.

With that rant out of the way, here's my thoughts on Call of Duty: Ghosts, single player.

It was pretty good for its length.

What I mean is that while I am still disappointed in the length of the campaign, I was relatively satisfied with it. I was not disappointed to the point that I felt like my money was wasted. There were a few standout thoughts I had during my time with it though. First, perhaps it is because I feel differently politically since the last time I played a Call of Duty, but this entry seemed to border rather close to jingoistic in tone. It felt as if it was some gun toting conspiracy theorists' fanfic about how the United States would be the sole rescuing power in a war torn world. A world where all of those intellectual philosophy types were rendered useless and raw brute militaristic strength and tactics were the only skills worth having. To some, this may seem as a "duh, thats the idea of Call of Duty games" but I feel like they could have made it better somehow. I don't have an answer to how though. This feeling just BOTHERED me though, throughout the entire game.

For the game's strengths, it has a comfortable control scheme that took me near on no time to pick up, despite never playing a console Call of Duty. The visuals were gorgeous and looked terrific on my PS4. They really pushed the variety of levels with ones involving scuba missions, outer space missions, various different vehicles and weapon types and good old fashioned run and gun objective missions. The game felt fair and tight in difficulty, without being something frustrating. The audio was solid and felt like I was in the middle of a blockbuster action movie, playing from the sound bar in my living room. Overall, the presentation was spot on.

I may try the multiplayer at some point just to see what the hullabaloo is about, but I am trying to focus on other games for this challenge.

Game 13: Diablo 3: Reaper of Souls (PC) - 38 hours, 21 minutes

I want to point out that I started this as a fresh crusader, that is why it took me the length it did to complete. I played all five acts with this new character. I did not seperate this into two games despite RoS being an expansion because unlike something like Starcraft 2: HoTS, a single extra act didn't feel like it was a substantial addition to the single player campaign enough to warrant two entries. For things like Starcraft expansions or Warcraft expansions, I consider them lengthy and deep enough to be seperate game entries. However, if I had completed Diablo 3 in earlier 2014 previous to the release of the expansion and then completed the expansion post-release, I would have seperated. For me, it just felt like I should stick to one since I played it in one solid go throughout with a fresh character.

Brief moment regarding Diablo 3: I liked the game a lot when I bought it new at release but after playing through Normal, Nightmare and then Hell difficulties, I got tired. I didn't feel like it was worth it to keep completing the game endlessly, so I put it down. Over time, I had heard that improvements were made and Loot 2.0 was cool, but I waited to try them until this expansion. After trying them out, I will say that the improvements are great and I'm happy with what they have done with the game for the most part. My only beef with the new loot system is that it really feels like blues are useless. Yellow and Orange quality items drop with such frequency that I never felt blue was worth much of anything. They might as well drop it from the game all together.

Regarding Diablo 3: Reaper of Souls: I had to drop the difficulty down a bit from where I was playing before. I played "Master" through all of the first four original acts, but when I got to act five, it proved to be too much. Perhaps they assumed many (or most) people had already gathered paragon levels and they needed to up the difficulty to compensate, but for a fresh character with no paragon levels, I had to dial it down. Otherwise, I was being slaughtered pretty quickly. The graphics and the atmosphere were well done and I enjoyed going through
Westmarch and Pandemonium

The audio/songs/cutscenes were well put together and definitely gave an eerie feeling to the surroundings. The new bosses didn't feel particularly inspired and their tactics were pretty easy to master. The difficulty seemed to only stem from how hard they were going to smack you for. Doing the dance on each one seemed easy to pick up, but my supposedly very tanky crusader would get one-shot on Master+ difficulties.

Regarding the new Crusader class: This is what I wanted since day one of the original game. I tend to play Paladins in every game and the paladin in Diablo 2 was no exception. So when he wasn't in the original game, I was always sad and hoping they would show up. My prayers (hehe) were answered and with it, I got the class I always wanted my Diablo 3 Barbarian to be. I love the shield skills that reward you for keeping that thing up all the time. I love the ancillary holy skills like Condemn that make you feel like a ticking time bomb of holy fervor. While tanky, I never really felt neutered in terms of damage either. It can be a hard balancing act to make a class feel tough while also making sure they don't A) suck on damage from the player's standpoint and B) don't feel completely overpowered from everyone else's standpoint when a class is both tough AND offensively powerful. I think they hit a good medium and it really showed. I loved my guy and maybe some day I will keep gearing him up.

Game 14: Castle of Illusion: Starring Mickey Mouse (PS3 version) - 1 hour 45 minutes

Received this game for free via PS+ and decided to give it a shot since I had such a good experience from Ducktales Remastered. Unfortunately, I can't give as much love to this one. They really should have gone the same route Wayforward did with Ducktales and made a very beautiful high-res sprite remake of this one. Instead, they went with a 3D platformer perspective. That just didn't work. It made a nice 2D platformer from the Genesis into a mediocre 3D platformer with questionable controller lag, stuttering FPS and camera issues. I was not as impressed with this one. It's worth a play if you've got memories for the Genesis game, but otherwise you can skip it.

Game 15: Ys: Memories of Celceta (Vita) - 22 hours 13 minutes

My very first Vita complete ever! I picked a good one to work on too. This game was a blast and I have to say, I loved every moment. I was a little worried about the 3D characters and perspective at first. All of the other Ys games I've seen previously used sprites and when I saw the 3D character choice, I was a little disappointed and worried I wouldn't like it. The great gameplay thankfully made me overlook it. The controls were tight, the skills felt great and the boss battles were phenomenally fun. If you own a Vita, this should be on everyone's play list.

This has to be one of the better action RPG's I've played.

Game 16: Battlefield: Bad Company - 8 hours

Another FPS for my list and it certainly won't be the last. As far as single player FPS campaigns go, Battlefield: Bad Company was pretty great. It had humor, it had action and I liked the idea of an off-beat quartet of rag-tag soldiers to be refreshing. The game felt like it had the action of a Battlefield or a Call of Duty while also taking itself somewhat less seriously than my recent playthrough of CoD:Ghosts.

I felt far more engaged in the story and the characters of Bad Company than I ever did with the Ghosts crew. It was a war game without feeling like it had the unwavering patriotism ingrained with what I experienced in Ghosts. I never felt like the game was trying to recruit me to the U.S. military just by playing it. To that end, I salute it. It was top notch. I will be playing Bad Company 2 next.

Yuripaw

Banned
Finally beat a new game, been a while because this was kind of a long one, and I played a lot of Titanfall beta in between.

Game 8: Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 2/25/2014

I was hesitant that I would ever beat this game, because I had played it closer to release, and got pretty far, but I lost that save file before I ever finished the game. A lot of people told me it was not worth restarting to finish, but I went ahead and did it anyway. Overall I still think it is a fun game, and a much more enjoyable experience than the first FFXIII because it jumps you right into the combat, and story picks up at a better pace. As for the story, it is very complex, but not impossible to understand. Maybe not very grounded in reality, but it's still interesting, and kinda mind bending.

Made me wanna play Lightning Returns even more, which I will probably get to sometime this year as well.

Just a little update, but since I completed the game, I continued to play it. I've gotten my first platinum trophy with FF13-2.

Yuripaw

Banned
AHHHH yeah I beat dk tropical freezeee

nice, I'm working on it here and there right now. The thing I kinda don't look forward to with Nintendo games, is beating them lol. They're so fun, that I always wanna savor them, and not beat them too fast. I am still so bummed that I am done with a link between worlds. That game was sooo good. Same thing with Super Mario 3d world.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
nice, I'm working on it here and there right now. The thing I kinda don't look forward to with Nintendo games, is beating them lol. They're so fun, that I always wanna savor them, and not beat them too fast. I am still so bummed that I am done with a link between worlds. That game was sooo good. Same thing with Super Mario 3d world.
I'll be buying LBW soon so thank you for the excitement.

Updated OP

Game 6: Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds (3DS) - Completed Feb 28th
A damn fine sequel to my fav Zelda game. I always preferred the SNES Zelda in style and gameplay and this hit the spot nicely.

Ceallach

Smells like fresh rosebuds
Game 14: NES Remix. Very fun, played it pretty much all day, lol. Look forward to part 2! I wish there were more "remix" style parts and fewer preform easy task style levels. But a lot of the easiness may have come from simply being so damn familiar with some of the tasks.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
Game 14: NES Remix. Very fun, played it pretty much all day, lol. Look forward to part 2! I wish there were more "remix" style parts and fewer preform easy task style levels. But a lot of the easiness may have come from simply being so damn familiar with some of the tasks.
How do you beat that game?

Bucca

Fools are always so certain of themselves, but wiser men so full of doubts.
3rd game down: rain!

Cute game but I didn't really understand what was going on towards the end and the ending itself, really.

Original Post

oggob

| MY COMPLETE LIST |

Completion #05 : Game #09 : Zero Escape : Virtue's Last Reward (Vita | 40hrs | Trophies - 100%)
I don't own a DS, so I never played 999. That being said, I did read a synopsis and although I'll never get all of the references back to the original, I wasn't totally lost as I played through the game.

I'm not going to say too much about it, as I don't want to even hint at anything that might be an eventual spoiler, but I fucking loved this game, even if there are certain novel aspects that give the final MGS4 movie a run for it's money.

The story is well presented and becomes exceptionally complex the more you progress into it. I would guess I had about 4-5 major jaw drops where I can't believe what just happened.

Most of the puzzles were great, there were about 2-3 that I searched for an additional hint online, not an outright solution, but some of the puzzles references were far too vague, though most of them related to the secondary password, so it was kinda understandable also.

There are negatives with the game and I'm guessing some of them would work better on the DS. The inventory, archive and notes section really needed a makeover. Something that was more usable. Using the Vita screen for notes was a complete mess. The notes section needed more than 2 pages though, a different notes page for each room would have been nice and a general notes page also. As there were some annoying backtracks just because I didn't take an actual physical note of a few things. Plus it would be funny to look back at some of the workings.

For anyone that is on the fence about the game because they haven't played the original, if you actually plan on playing the original then I would suggest waiting, but a decent read of the story from 999 can be enough to really enjoy yourself here.

ZE3 is in limbo, but I will be there day 1 if it sees the light of day, hopefully with more bikini modelling also!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom