• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

81% of Democrats support Tubman on the $20, 34% of Republicans.

Status
Not open for further replies.
The decision, announced by Treasury Secretary Jack Lew on Wednesday, is particularly popular among minorities. A significant majority of African Americans, 80 percent, support the move, which will make Tubman the first African-American to appear on a U.S. bill. Sixty-one percent of Hispanics agree with Lew’s decision, according to SurveyMonkey's vice president of survey research, Jon Cohen — but just 51 percent of whites do.

Support for Treasury's move also breaks down along partisan lines. Eighty-one percent of Democrats support putting Tubman on the $20, while 50 percent of independents and 34 percent of Republicans agree.

http://www.politico.com/story/2016/04/harriet-tubman-poll-222298

Survey Monkey poll, sample size=1500

Uhhhhhhhhhh, hmm, yeah.

Yeah.

So........... Yeah, I'm really feeling one explanation here.

studyguy

The note goes into circulation years down the line no? The same people won't care or remember next year anyway.

Jonnax

Majority of republicans are racist???!?!?
I would have never have guessed that, look at how race friendly their frontrunner is!

Paz

Ya'll need to stop being so smug about this kinda thing, apparently that's the real problem here.

/s

Malfunky

liberals always in support of a facsimile of progress rather than the real thing. which is recognizing that putting a woman of color who fought against an unjust economic system on the same type of dirty cloth and paper that was used to buy and sell people like her is a bad idea.

this whole thing is pure tokenism. maybe the republicans are right about this one (lolno)

I was surprised that the Wall Street Journal's op-ed section was in favor of this. Will be fun to read the "ONCE GREAT PAPER BOWS TO POLITICAL CORRECTNESS" letters next week.

VoxPop

lttp: why is Harriet Tubman of all people on the $20 bill...?

And wasn't Andrew Jackson the founding father of the Democratic Party lol

Damn. Not supporting a fellow Republican..how sad.

giphy.gif

Tubman is ok, but MLK would be better.

The whole point was to get a woman on the bill.

wildfire

Banned
Ya'll need to stop being so smug about this kinda thing, apparently that's the real problem here.

/s

Yes, just remember, liberals: you are not better than ignorant racists. Gotta hear both sides!

You two need to grow up.

Anyway I hope they use a picture of Tubman when she was younger instead of the more common grandmammy imagery. Most of her work was done during her middle aged years.

oh man, get that token woman on the bill. that'll show em!

maybe i'm being too cynical? i dunno

Wtf?!

This is happening because a group of women banded together to call for US to put a woman on one of the bills.

Also nice to imply that Tubman's work isn't worth acknowledging and that she doesn't deserve it and is only getting it because she's the token woman.

Um.. why? Just because?

Because history tends to ignore women....

50% of the population gets 0% representation.

Plenty of women have done incredibly historically significant things amd yet they're often not talked about. Ergo one of them should at least on one of the bills.

The fact that you can't understand why women might want a woman on a bill is the reason why we need a woman on a bill

Also nice to imply that Tubman's work isn't worth acknowledging and that she doesn't deserve it and is only getting it because she's the token woman.

quit putting words in my mouth. i'm just thinking it's strange to force a president off a bill.

I was honestly hoping for Sacagawea.

well she does have the golden dollar

That failed big time. They're not going to try that again.

who wants to carry around a bunch of coins?

quit putting words in my mouth. i'm just thinking it's strange to force a president off a bill.

Sure and that's why you said it should have been MLK.

He was the first black president afterall. Oh wait.

You literally called putting Tubman on the 20$ tokenism. That is absolutely implying she doesn't deserve it.

Kephar

I don't support them putting Tubman on the $20; would prefer someone more influential like Septima Poinsette Clark.

Amir0x

Banned
is a 40 dollar bill really such a bad idea?

I mean if we're comparing two contrasting ideas

One simply removing a horrible human being from an already established bit of currency and replacing him with someone who fought tireless for freedom

And the other creating an unnecessary bit of extra currency that will have to pass numerous market tests just to be considered viable and then unceremoniously put Harriet Tubman on it because...um, because I guess it makes you uncomfortable to remove a president? Think this through.

Kevtones

Oh man Vox really ruffled some easily plucked feathers.

Anyway, curious why 66% of Republicans are against the change.

Slayven

But both parties are the same.

That 66% probably think you should still be able to use 20 dollar bills to buy tubmans.

Daft Bird

I would rather they kept the bills the same, however Tubman was a fine choice. I find that with most of my fellow Republicans you need to use a few buzzwords to get them behind the idea of Tubman. For instance today my brother was complaining about it so I said "Why would you be against removing a Democrat, and why would you be against a gun wielding, civil war nurse, Republican?" It's about how you can sell the idea imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom