• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

81% of Democrats support Tubman on the $20, 34% of Republicans.

Status
Not open for further replies.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
I would love MLK on a bill.

"Hey dad, can I get three Kings"

On topic, why is anyone shocked at this response? The Reps were never going to like this.

SCpollSG1large-816x281.jpg

Enough do
This makes me want to punch a hole in the wall.

This is the party that controls the majority of our Congress, Governorships, and State Legislatures, and is going to take a billion dollars to defeat in a fight for the Presidency (and by extension the Supreme Court).

Barely over a 3rd of them even like the country we have.

You know, I'm sorry, but there's no excuse for those percentages from the Trump supporters that I will ever accept.

G.ZZZ

I would rather they kept the bills the same, however Tubman was a fine choice. I find that with most of my fellow Republicans you need to use a few buzzwords to get them behind the idea of Tubman. For instance today my brother was complaining about it so I said "Why would you be against removing a Democrat, and why would you be against a gun wielding, civil war nurse, Republican?" It's about how you can sell the idea imo.

Pretty much. You can't reason with certain people. Learn from Trump. I'd throw a YUUUGE or two in there, say that Jackson was a pussy while Tubman had balls and fought with guns to proclaim her rights, etc...

Yes, let's be pissed that a genuine fucking hero actually gets put on our money, which in turn bumps off someone that signed The Indian Removal act into law, among other major digressions. We should definitely keep honoring that asshole.

The nerve of these people.

Apathy

This is good. You get someone respectable on the bill. The people fighting hard for it get a win, and the people that don't like it can suck it up because how often are you really starring at a bill for anyway, you just take it from the ATM and put it in your wallet, you don't normally care what's on it so why would you now. This is so much a nom issue for those that are against it it just makes them look like cry babies.

I've just seen some odd responses to all of this.

Mostly arguments that Tubman would not want to be part of some global economic system of tyranny that furthers the interests of rich white men. Although if they had just picked another famous old white guy, these same people would have probably been angry, too.

Raxus

Huh. The only stuff I've seen from Facebook conservatives on Tubman is memes like this:

Whatever, as long as it gets Tubman on the bill.

It's also hilarious some people STILL can't put together the big republican and democrat flip that happened in the 60's.

51% is just... wow. Surprised the AA number is only at 80%.

20% of African Americans are racist confirmed

Without knowing the reasons why people chose their answers, polls like this are little better than click bait. I'm sure race plays a large factor for some people, but it could also be that the respondents don't even know who Harriet Tubman is, or are misremembering who she is.

Important thing is that she is on the bill, Jackson is gone and nobody can change it!

Soapbox Killer

Grand Nagus
It would be an insult to Native Americans to put them on money.

Hard to say. I get what you mean but I also know aboriginal americans were pretty ok being depicted on those Indian Peace Medals dating back to the 18th century. Not every tribe of course but I don't think it would as frowned upon as one may think. Also: Sacagawea.

Edit: These poll are always so skewed to one way or the other. I never believe any of them.

Andrew Jackson hated paper money. The fact that he's even on the $20 must've been making him roll in his grave for quite a long time.

Tubman is freeing Jackson of his long suffering just like she did for many others. Cause that's just how badass she is! ;D

Kicko

I know conservatism resists change by its nature, but get a fucking grip already.

I bet they wouldn't resist putting Ronald effing Reagan on the $20 bill if they had the chance. It really makes no sense to oppose this move given Jackson's history. Sure, dialogue can be opened for a replacement, but if we were to apply history to the discussion, it makes total sense to add Tubman to any form of US currency. Opposition to this is baffling to me.

I bet they wouldn't resist putting Ronald effing Reagan on the $20 bill if they had the chance. It really makes no sense to oppose this move given Jackson's history. Sure, dialogue can be opened for a replacement, but if we were to apply history to the discussion, it makes total sense to add Tubman to any form of US currency. Opposition to this is baffling to me.

In 100 years: "Why was Ronald Reagan on the $20 bill in the first place? Guy was an asshole"

Nivash

That Jackson was even on the bill to begin with is baffling.

According to Wikipedia, he replaced Grover Cleveland when they switched to the small size note in 1928. Curiosly enough, it's claimed that no one really knows why, because the reasoning is not mentioned in the records.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_twenty-dollar_bill

It could have something to do with how Jackson was actually extremely popular a century ago and that his inclusion was therefore not controversial or surprising at all. Especially during the run-up to the Great Depression, when his populist image would have resonated better than ever.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...he-20-bill-the-answer-may-be-lost-to-history/

Considering Jackson's hatred of paper money and the national bank, it might even have been intentionally ironic.

Phased

Some people just don't like change in any form. It doesn't necessarily make them racist.

I'm fine with it, but not every person who doesn't like it is necessarily a card carrying member of the KKK, although I'm sure lots would fit that definition.

While the results are disappointingly expected, there's little mentioned on the methodology.

The blog post announcing the results only mentions sample size:
Survey Monkey said:
Of course, we wanted to learn more about just what it means. We asked over 1,500 Americans their thoughts on this historic move.

Although I'm not sure where they got this detail, but the Politico article adds that it was conducted online:
Politico said:
Out of more than 1,500 online respondents, 56 percent welcome moving Jackson to the back of the currency in favor of Tubman on the front, the survey found.

Tigress

quit putting words in my mouth. i'm just thinking it's strange to force a president off a bill.

A president who pretty much tried to genocide a whole people and forced them off their land in a very cruel way.

Yeah, fuck him. He never should have been on our bill in the first place. I don't care if he was a president, that doesn't make him a good person. It just means he had more power to do bad things since he was a bad person. Harriett Tubman was not in a position of power and risked a lot more to do good things. She infinitely deserves it over Andrew Jackson (which it is disgusting that she'll have to share the bill with him <- maybe I'm wrong but I heard they're putting him on the back).

The only thing better is if he was replaced by a Native American woman.... poetic justice. Oh, and removed him entirely. The only thing he should be is a note in history books of how things were so people can learn from history. Not honored in any sort of way.

A president who pretty much tried to genocide a whole people and forced them off their land in a very cruel way.

Yeah, fuck him. He never should have been on our bill in the first place. I don't care if he was a president, that doesn't make him a good person. It just means he had more power to do bad things since he was a bad person. Harriett Tubman was not in a position of power and risked a lot more to do good things. She infinitely deserves it over Andrew Jackson (which it is disgusting that she'll have to share the bill with him <- maybe I'm wrong but I heard they're putting him on the back).

The only thing better is if he was replaced by a Native American woman.... poetic justice. Oh, and removed him entirely. The only thing he should be is a note in history books of how things were so people can learn from history. Not honored in any sort of way.

That's not how history works. Also, I've never seen a mention (besides this stupid $20 bill) that "honors" the man. I think everyone realizes he was one of the shittiest presidents. Tubman is a much better fit than Jackson for this bill for sure, but you can't sugarcoat history the way you want to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom