• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"9/11 Families Can Sue Saudi Arabia" bill passes House; Obama likely to veto.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/house-oks-bill-allow-9-11-victims-families-sue-saudi-n645591

On the eve of the 15th anniversary of the September 11th attacks, the House unanimously passed on Friday controversial legislation clearing the way for the families of victims to sue Saudi Arabia if that country is found legally responsible for helping back the deadly terrorist acts.

The bill, which passed the Senate in May, now heads to President Obama's desk. The White House strongly opposes the legislation and worries the legislation leaves the U.S. open to similar suits.

How would the US being open to being sued in similar situations be a bad thing? If we haven't done anything wrong then we don't have anything to worry about, right, or am I missing something from Obama's argument?

The article also mentions that the Senate may be able to override Obama's veto with a supermajority since democrats are not stepping in line.

UPDATE
New York (CNN)BREAKING NEWS: Barack Obama vetoed Friday a bill that would allow family members of 9/11 victims to sue Saudi Arabia. The White House claimed it could expose US diplomats and servicemen to litigation in other countries.
Republican and Democratic leaders in Congress say they'll override Obama's veto next week.

Obama has now issued 12 vetoes. If successful, Congress' override will be the first of Obama's presidency.
http://edition.cnn.com/2016/09/21/p...udi-9-11-bill0835PMVODtopLink&linkId=29142698

Seems like the law will pass. :lol

Interesting months ahead.

DBT85

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/house-oks-bill-allow-9-11-victims-families-sue-saudi-n645591

How would the US being open to being sued in similar situations be a bad thing? If we haven't done anything wrong then we don't have anything to worry about, right, or am I missing something from Obama's argument?

The article also mentions that the Senate may be able to override Obama's veto with a supermajority since democrats are not stepping in line.
If you think the US haven't done anything wrong that might mean similar lawsuits against you, then I have some bad news for you.

It's a ridiculous bill though.

Sure.

But the CIA has done a lot of dirty things over the years

Kolx

Nutter

Lets start with all the folks who lost their families to accidental drone attack deaths.

I am not sure the US would be able to handle the amount of lawsuits against them.

Sub_Level

3sUYTOR.jpg

FyreWulff

It's a stupid bill because it basically says "the entire world is subject to US legal jurisdiction" so other countries will start doing the same with their courts and when we go "no you don't" then they'll say "but you say you have it over us, so even stevens"

Dumb and unworkable. Saudi Arabia deserves the shit it gets for supporting extremism throughout the world, but they have every right to find this idea as laughable as the US government would find families of victims of drone strikes suing Obama.

Sub_Level

It's a stupid bill because it basically says "the entire world is subject to US legal jurisdiction" so other countries will start doing the same with their courts and when we go "no you don't" then they'll say "but you say you have it over us, so even stevens"

But US citizens have sued foreign governments in the past already. It's rare but it has happened. I think it's just for extreme cases.

I know victims of terror attacks have sued countries responsible for certain terror attacks before for example American victims families of the Lockerbie, Scotland attack in 1988 received payments from Libya for their connection to the attack. I guess the bill would make it easier to do this but it could open up a big can of worms in international politics.

Here's the article on it: http://abcnews.go.com/Blotter/story?id=6158491&page=1

DavidDesu

If we haven't done anything wrong then we don't have anything to worry about, right, or am I missing something from Obama's argument?

So you genuinely think America is a saint. You sound so naive if you're being genuine. Like a 10 year old naive. American foreign policy and meddling by the military/CIA etc is fucking evil.

Balphon

I know victims of terror attacks have sued countries responsible for certain terror attacks before for example American victims families of the Lockerbie, Scotland attack in 1988 received payments from Libya for their connection to the attack. I guess the bill would make it easier to do this but it could open up a big can of worms in international politics.

Here's the article on it: http://abcnews.go.com/Blotter/story?id=6158491&page=1

The FSIA exemption relied upon in those cases essentially requires the defendant county to be designated as a state sponsor of terrorism by the State Department. The bill here essentially creates a new exemption with similar terms which has no such limitation. As such, it is significantly broader (perhaps unconstitutionally so, though that is debatable) and makes it possible to sue, not just easier.

Likewise, as that article says, the resolution in Libya was accomplished via international agreement rather than suit in federal court: https://www.state.gov/documents/organization/109771.pdf

As for the bill, it's too broad and I think the concern over making the US/government officials more vulnerable to suit in foreign courts is an apt one.

Sub_Level

Then the question becomes if Saudi Arabia should be considered a state sponsor of terrorism.

HeySeuss

So this is basically conservatives getting people all riled up with 9/11 feelings so that Barrack "the scary Muslim" Hussein Obama can veto it and stir up patriotism to try to help Trump.

Just gross.

Balphon

Sure, if you wanted to turn this from a minor deal into a colossal one.

Classification as a state sponsor of terrorism has numerous consequences beyond being rendered vulnerable to suit in the FSIA, to say nothing of the diplomatic repercussions of even pretending to consider such an action.

2MF

What does "sue Saudi Arabia" mean? Why is it up to the US government to allow Americans to do it? Where will the lawsuits be filed?

I just don't understand.

Brakke

Banned
So this is basically conservatives getting people all riled up with 9/11 feelings so that Barrack "the scary Muslim" Hussein Obama can veto it and stir up patriotism to try to help Trump.

Just gross.

I get that people skip out on reading OPs sometimes but at least glance at the first goddamn sentence:

On the eve of the 15th anniversary of the September 11th attacks, the House unanimously passed on Friday controversial legislation clearing the way for the families of victims to sue Saudi Arabia if that country is found legally responsible for helping back the deadly terrorist acts.​

Unanimously.

Balphon

What does "sue Saudi Arabia" mean?

Literally what it says: to sue the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia and/or its agents for damages.

Why is it up to the US government to allow Americans to do it?

Because sovereign governments are traditionally generally immune from suit by non-sovereign entities under various principles of international and US constitutional law. There is a statutory regime in the US that attempts to codify those principles and provide for a narrow range of scenarios where such suits are permissible.

Where will the lawsuits be filed?

The United States Federal Court system.

Just gross.
Yes, all of the democrats providing a veto override potential are definitely also part of this conspiracy.

2MF

Literally what it says: to sue the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia and/or its agents for damages.

Because sovereign governments are traditionally generally immune from suit by non-sovereign entities under various principles of international and US constitutional law. There is a statutory regime in the US that attempts to codify those principles and provide for a narrow range of scenarios where such suits are permissible.

The United States Federal Court system.

Thanks. I still don't understand very well how Saudi Arabia will be forced to care about this, but that gives some starting points.

Verelios

I get that people skip out on reading OPs sometimes but at least glance at the first goddamn sentence:

On the eve of the 15th anniversary of the September 11th attacks, the House unanimously passed on Friday controversial legislation clearing the way for the families of victims to sue Saudi Arabia if that country is found legally responsible for helping back the deadly terrorist acts.​

Unanimously.
I'd like to see what happens if Obama just said fuck it, and signed away. People always like pushing the envelope to see if it bursts.

Balphon

Unanimously.

Yeah, there's a steep hill to climb if Obama wants to actually fight off a veto override, but crazier things have happened I guess.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
It'd be kinda nice if everyone just let Obama veto it and then quietly let the issue disappear. This seems way too broadly problematic and short-sighted to be allowed to move forward.

Unanimously.
The vote in the Senate was unanimous, too.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
It's amazing how the house can pass complete bullshit bills with relative ease if the headline in the paper will look bad for Obama or democrats in general.

I can imagine some headlines now. Disgusting.

Also, to the OP what you are missing is drone strikes.

I bet you the republicans are betting, even hoping that Obama will veto it.

PR stunt at its finest.... like Brexit if this actually doesn't get veto'd then they'll just be as flabbergasted as everyone else and would likely try and blame Obama again if it turns against them and the whole entire world begins to sue the US for things like Drones, to War Crimes, to torture, to coups, to environmental issues.... the list is endless

Goodness. How about the millions of people around the world who have been affected by America's actions to topple governments? Of course, the US wont pay, but it will give those countries incredible leverage and a PR victory for the ages.

Balphon

Thanks. I still don't understand very well how Saudi Arabia will be forced to care about this, but that gives some starting points.

To the extent they have assets in the US or that US jurisdiction can otherwise reach they have to care about getting haled into court here. But, yeah, it can get really complicated really fast.

Alo0oy

Banned

lol, half the countries in the world would probably sue. I can't think of a single non-white country that the US hasn't violated somehow or some way.

johnsmith

remember me
Why is this ridiculous. Fuck Saudi Arabia and everything about them. If they lose every single asset they own in America, good.

It passes unanimously. How often does that happen? Obama should not veto this.

Balphon

Let alone make them pay any sort of compensation? "Yo' all Saudi Arabia you didn't show for your court date so pay us $3,000,000 pls thx."

Did anyone with a brain think this shit through at any level?

A court could easily freeze Saudi assets in the US and/or force their divestment to pay a judgment:

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/04/16/w...mic-fallout-if-congress-passes-9-11-bill.html

All the time, but generally not for something with as much mixed press as this.

Mael

This is a colossal stupidity considering the US doesn't even allow or recognize the Court of the Hague to begin with.
It opens the can of worms that basically foreign countries can sue the US for damage too.
I don't think it's unreasonable to not trust the US justice system to begin with but how about the US being sued by Russian citizen in Russia would look then? or China? or even the EU?
Heck there's probably a good case Palestinian can make about suing the USA and Israel pretty much everywhere but the USA or Israel as it is.
It's as monumentally stupid as allowing countries to be sued by corporations.

Alo0oy

Banned
Why is this ridiculous. Fuck Saudi Arabia and everything about them. If they lose every single asset they own in America, good.

Yeah, I don't understand why people are against this. "It opens the US for lawsuits" is not an argument someone that cares about justice should worry about.

Alo0oy

Banned
This is a colossal stupidity considering the US doesn't even allow or recognize the Court of the Hague to begin with.
It opens the can of worms that basically foreign countries can sue the US for damage too.
I don't think it's unreasonable to not trust the US justice system to begin with but how about the US being sued by Russian citizen in Russia would look then? or China? or even the EU?
Heck there's probably a good case Palestinian can make about suing the USA and Israel pretty much everywhere but the USA or Israel as it is.
It's as monumentally stupid as allowing countries to be sued by corporations.

I don't understand this argument. Are you against the US being responsible for terrible actions they commit?

As for the second bolded text...WTF?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom