• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"9/11 Families Can Sue Saudi Arabia" bill passes House; Obama likely to veto.

Status
Not open for further replies.
This bill is stupid.

Say a family sues Saudi Arabia. Then what? SA doesnt have to do shit. Theyre not under the jurisdiction of the US. Sure it might hurt relations, but to what extent?

D

Deleted member 284

Unconfirmed Member
This bill is stupid.

Say a family sues Saudi Arabia. Then what? SA doesnt have to do shit. Theyre not under the jurisdiction of the US. Sure it might hurt relations, but to what extent?

I'm thinking they will lay claim to Saudi property held in the US.

SaviourMK2

Election year. You can't vote against this or you'll be murdered. No one gives a damn about the details.

Guess I shouldn't be surprised, in this day and age, re-election is more important than morals and responsibility. I can't entirely blame pre-Millenials for being ignorant to how the international world works, but still, extremely stupid thing to do.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
I'm torn on this. Saudi Arabia is absolutely enabling wahhabiist terror, but legally this is meaningless and diplomatically disastrous.

I'm actually more annoyed at the Republicans pretending they were always against SA.

Chocolate & Vanilla

Fuck Strawberry
They hold a miniscule amount of treasury bonds,116 billion. The only thing they can do is ride the bond out or sell it, neither of which would have any effect on the US.

The political ramifications are fairly substantial. Not to mention it opens the US up to being sued for numerous acts itself

Also, I have to wonder, if Saudi Arabia can be sued in the US for supporting terrorism, how does US continued arms sales to SA fit into that scenario? Are they not complicit and by extension, also open to being sued?

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
“Clinton continues to support the efforts by Sen. [Chuck] Schumer [D-N.Y.] and his colleagues in congress to secure the ability of 9/11 families and other victims of terror to hold accountable those responsible.”

- Hillary Clinton Campaign
September 23rd, 2016

I doubt congress will override it

they succeed in there initial plan anyway

the whole point of passing it was to try and make Obama veto it and say look Democrats don't support the victims of 9/11

it is a PR stunt... if they really cared they would've supported that 9/11 first responders health bill instead of this useless Bill that is overly obtuse as stated previously in this thread

I'm thinking they will lay claim to Saudi property held in the US.

Boy thats going to be fun to see.

Especially since it would open the door going the other way.

and then the EU and Asia will be like

"Hey SA... that money and investments? Bring it on over here buddy, oh pal!"

Furyous

Can Afghanistan and Iraq sue Bush for wreaking havoc and installing failed states?

There's a list of countries that can sue the US and freeze assets of multinational corporations if this holds true. This is a really really bad idea taking a look at US history.....

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
There is a reason I like Obama himself a lot more than the party as a whole.

NPRs hot take on this this morning... "It won't change anything, there have already been exceptions to sovereign state immunity."

I doubt congress will override it

they succeed in there initial plan anyway

the whole point of passing it was to try and make Obama veto it and say look Democrats don't support the victims of 9/11

it is a PR stunt... if they really cared they would've supported that 9/11 first responders health bill instead of this useless Bill that is overly obtuse as stated previously in this thread

Not so sure about that narrative considering that only 1 of the 44 Democrats in Senate opposed the over-ride. The over-ride was led by Democrat Chuck Schumer. No Democrat took the floor to support the President's veto. I think it's a tough sell to say that 43/44 Democrats wanted to over-ride the veto to make Obama and their own party look bad.

I'm against this bill and the over-ride, but there are legitimate members of senate who support the bill on its merits, not as a divisive trick to make Obama look like he doesn't support 9/11 victims.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom