• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A look at Youtube trailer views for E3 2016

Gurish

Man the reactions to the new GOW has been amazing, crazy amount of views and people are loving it, just proves that publishers shouldn't be afraid to shake up their "proven" formulas.

SSM couldn't ask for a better reception.

farmerboy

Yeah as a fan of GOW I'm absolutely stoked at it's reception. Kinda makes a mockery of the widely held perception that Kratos as a character was a spent force.

Long live Kratos :)

Boke1879

This applies to all videos but I'm sure facebook has a respectable amount of views as well.

I know for FFXV the Airship and Altissa videos got very many views on facebook.

Do we know how much the previous God of War Games sold?

I know its a huge Ip but iirc the numbers were around 5 Mio - so not quite on the level of Uncharted

Edit: ok found it

Official Numbers from Sony God of War 3 - 5.2 million God of War 2 - 4.2 million God of War - 4.6 million God of War: Chains of Olympus - 3.26 million God of War: Collection - 2.4 million God of War: Ghost of Sparta - 1.2 million God of War: Origins - 700k Overall GOW Sales: 21.65 million GOW3 on PS3 sold better than the PS2 games, even though the PS2 games had a much higher user base. GOW is the best selling game in the "hack n slash" genre. GOW Collection sold 2.4 million, which makes it the highest selling HD Remake by a huge margin.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-06-05-god-of-war-series-has-sold-over-21-million-copies

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Still think Nier Automata deserves more promotion , it seems will be a great game..

I really wish they had thrown the boss battle gameplay into their conference, maybe with the trailer before it but even without I think it would have impressed and been something very different from most anything else shown.

wapplew

GoW gameplay trailer is a great trailer.
Have an impactful character reveal, great graphic and atmosphere, combat and exploration, mystery, some heavy emotion. Very successful reveal trailer to set the tone.

Ploid 3.0

I really wish they had thrown the boss battle gameplay into their conference, maybe with the trailer before it but even without I think it would have impressed and been something very different from most anything else shown.

That boss trailer sold me hard on this game. They seemed to have a lot of time, it along with at least one more game could have been added in the conference, especially since it was mainly trailers and live demos. I guess the live orchestra was on an expensive clock.

MaxHouse

Banned
and lets also talk about the crazy reaction Kratos got at E3.... I don't think I ever heard a reaction that loud before

iavi

I would not have guessed Watch Dogs 2 would be the winner. Though the original game did sell 10 million copies, even though it gets a lot of flack on GAF.

And only a million or so view for Spider-Man? I know it didn't show much, but I thought a real-ass Spider-Man game would garner more interest.

The Zelda trailer is also the second most watched video on Nintendo's Youtube channel ever and I think it will hit the number one spot in a week.

I ain't surprised WD2 is garnering attention like it is. Despite the overall GAF sentiment, a lot of people including myself really dig the first one. And it sold incredibly well for a new IP.

As for Spiderman, I thought that would get much more attention that it has too, but I feel like the Spiderman ip in general has taken a bit of a hit on its popularity with the string of decent to bad movies. And Insomniac isn't a developer with enough clout to draw attention on their name alone, as good as they can be. Putting it together like that, those #s make sense

And quite a lot of easter eggs and other well hidden stuff which made people watch the trailer again and again.

Like, this one:

ClCzupdUgAA5gZU.jpg

Still, lots of interest. It's just funny because people didnt want another God of War. Wonder how it will sell

If it lives up to the hype and turns out to be a great game, I suppose it will do better than UC4, even if you compare the respective attach rates (obviously GoW will profit from a much higer install base once it arrives).

Rozart

Still, lots of interest. It's just funny because people didnt want another God of War. Wonder how it will sell

I wasn't even a fan of GoW (the PS3 GoW collection still remains untouched on my shelf) and now, it's one of my most anticipated games to come out of E3.

Likes and dislikes mean absolutely nothing. Only a very small minority actually vote compared to the overall view count.

It's like judging the quality of games by user metacritic scores. It's not helpful at all, especially to the publishers trying to do focus testing.

Atomski

I'm surprised Halo Wars 2 has so many views.. but based on the views to like ration many were expecting something else probably.

Gravity rush 2 views are no surprise.. Sony doomedthat franchise on the Vita and honestly the first one isn't that good.

FelipeMGM

I'm surprised Halo Wars 2 has so many views.. but based on the views to like ration many were expecting something else probably.

Gravity rush 2 views are no surprise.. Sony doomedthat franchise on the Vita and honestly the first one isn't that good.

Prob some of those views are because of ads

267.606 for Nier boss battle demonstration

The enlightenment is real. I can't believe Sony/SE hid this game in favor of the umpteenth cinematic zombie title.

The cinematic zombie title came from their own internal studio that has been dormant for a long time, and has no real brand cache amongst most gamers today, seeing as Syphon Filter is effectively a dead IP and they work on other studio's IP like Golden Abyss.

The decision to highlight Days Gone so prominently is a very easy decision when you think from the perspective of a company that wants to elevate :

a. a new IP
b. a first-party title long-in-development
c. from an internal studio that has no brand cache atm.

Sony's Days Gone push is them really supporting their own studio so that they get the limelight they normally won't get if it's just a average reveal.

Still find it interesting looking back over this and see how the number of views are going. God of War is about 70k views from overtaking Battlefield 1 - at the pace they're going I guess this will happen within a day.

Here's an auto updating list of views I do every year: http://vizioneck.com/forum/index.php?topic=3859

Doesn't have 3rd party but should save people a lot of time fetching views.

Updated a bunch of these numbers on behalf of the OP. (or because I was doing it anyway)

Thank you both for this.

267.606 for Nier boss battle demonstration

The enlightenment is real. I can't believe Sony/SE hid this game in favor of the umpteenth cinematic zombie title.

Yeah, Nier Automata definitely deserved a brief section in the conference, along with Gravity Rush 2, Persona 5 and Ni-oh. Likewise indies. I hope Shawn Laydon/SCIA address this next year, as besides those things I think the conference was really great.

reKon

Banned
The thrist is real I guess. God of War is popular, but I didn't know it was THIS popular. Has the Uncharted series passed this series in average sales per game?

DKHF

The thrist is real I guess. God of War is popular, but I didn't know it was THIS popular. Has the Uncharted series passed this series in average sales per game?
I'm not sure about globally or in total in the US but IIRC GoW3 outsold UC4 in terms of first month US sales.

Memento

Now the God of War demo is officially the game video with most views of E3 (and without any ads). Really impressive.

It is coming close to the Uncharted 4 reveal trailer from E3 2014. It is probably going to surpass it. Then it will be the 2nd game video with most views in the official PlayStation chanel's entire history, only behind Final Fantasy VII Remake reveal trailer.

It is also a full 10 minutes gameplay demo, compared to the brief UC4 and FFVIIR trailers.

Go Daddy Kratos!

wapplew

The hunger is real, also most watch reaction video from channel that I know too. Triple views compare to others EZA E3 video, it's kinda crazy.

Now the God of War demo is officially the game video with most views of E3 (and without any ads). Really impressive.

It is coming close to the Uncharted 4 reveal trailer from E3 2014. It is probably going to surpass it. Then it will be the 2nd game video with most views in the official PlayStation chanel's entire history, only behind Final Fantasy VII Remake reveal trailer.

It is also a full 10 minutes gameplay demo, compared to the brief UC4 and FFVIIR trailers.

Go Daddy Kratos!

Amazing stuff. I think it's a strong contender for best-received game from the show.

At 9.31 million, it's also higher than the Xbox One S trailer.

So it is indeed now E3 2016's most watched trailer, and it still has growth momentum to maybe break 10 million.

God of War, Horizon, Zelda, and TLG were big highlights this E3 for me. Looks like many others have good taste as well lol.

GOW reconstruction redeemed??!

Only slight worry I have is combat, I want the engine to be even deeper than previous games with some creativity and of course challenge from the enemies. Cory did say he's fond of the challenge sections from older games, so, I hope they bring it with the difficulty.

If it lives up to the hype and turns out to be a great game, I suppose it will do better than UC4, even if you compare the respective attach rates (obviously GoW will profit from a much higer install base once it arrives).

I doubt it will outsell U4 worldwide but it should do it in NA.

GoW is going to be so nuts, I can't wait to see what they have in store. The Poseidon fight in GoW3 with the motion blur, water bits going everywhere, that was running on PS3, imagine the bigger bosses in this game.

Surface of Me

I'm not an NPC. And neither are we.
GoW was Sony's juggernaut title before Uncharted was. The views shouldnt be surprising considering the wait for a new one and success of the PS4.

Id say the weirdest thing is that the Sound of Silence trailer for Gears is at 16 million views, but the E3 gameplay I dont think has broken 1 million.

Not surprised at Halo Wars 2 views, despite how many people love to shit on it, a lot of people really liked the first one.

GoW was Sony's juggernaut title before Uncharted was. The views shouldnt be surprising considering the wait for a new one and success of the PS4.

Id say the weirdest thing is that the Sound of Silence trailer for Gears is at 16 million views, but the E3 gameplay I dont think has broken 1 million.

Not surprised at Halo Wars 2 views, despite how many people love to shit on it, a lot of people really liked the first one.

I think the Gears ad with 16 million views was run as an advert too.

Edit - and probably the Halo Wars 2 trailer, considering it only has 27k likes against more than 5 million views.

Edit 2 - most amusing is Ghost Recon Wildlands, with over 5 million 'views' but only 4k likes. So 90% of its views have come from ads, then?!

The views are surprising, in consideration of the fact that it's a 10 minutes long gameplay demo, and not just a 2-3 minutes reveal trailer. Being that long, it doesn't benefit from artificial boosting of pre-roll ads, etc. It's all organic numbers. And if we consider the views for the same trailer on other channels like IGN, it's up to around 18+ million.

The other part of it is how fast the view count rose. It was behind other popular trailers by a considerable margin and has comfortably extended the lead despite being later than the competition. (except Zelda)

It's easy to look at internet snark and think the GoW brand has lost a bit of luster as Uncharted IP kept growing, but it is still quite surprising even when you take that away.

Top Bottom