• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A look at Youtube trailer views for E3 2016

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
These numbers are all over the place for some of these games, the problem with YouTube view counts is all the different channels they are uploaded to. For the companies though they look at everything for their numbers, including looking at Facebook video views and counting them together.

I didn't know ads in front of other videos count as views though, if that is so it would explain why some of these are surprisingly notably higher than others.

Infinite Warfare is still getting massive dislikes. lol
(likes: 26062 dislikes: 53372)

I can't help but think there's some crazy brigading going on, there's always been hating on CoD but these trailer dislikes seem to be getting silly, especially the reveal trailer.

Personally I thought it was the best CoD has looked in years, doesn't say much mind compared to the like of Ghosts, but at the same time those of us on gaf irc didn't even guess it was CoD until they got into the typical firefighting. Tbh I thought it was some surprise reboot of Colony Wars or something.

silva1991

The Last Guardian will hit 1 million views within a day <3

Shinobi was right when he said all those pre E3 trailer were released so that they won't be over shadowed lol

God of War and Zelda really stole the show.

Memento

God of War has just surpassed Watch Dogs 2. And it is quickly coming close to Battlefield 1.

Really, really impressive. Even more considering it is an actual 10 minutes long gameplay demo compared to these other trailers.

God of War has just surpassed Watch Dogs 2. And it is quickly coming close to Battlefield 1.

Really, really impressive. Even more considering it is an actual 10 minutes long gameplay demo compared to these other trailers.

Yeah, it's crazy. It seems very likely this'll be the biggest game in the series if the reception is anything to go by.

That is really fucking sad that Watch Dogs 2 is so high...I mean for fuck's sake... Watch Dogs was probably the worst open world game I ever have had the displeasure of playing. I kept hoping it might become decent at some point...it was so terrible, and this sequel does not look like it improves on anything.

T.O.P

Banned
That is really fucking sad that Watch Dogs 2 is so high...I mean for fuck's sake... Watch Dogs was probably the worst open world game I ever have had the displeasure of playing. I kept hoping it might become decent at some point...it was so terrible, and this sequel does not look like it improves on anything.

i disagree

I noticed how high the God of War demo's view count was the other day and wanted to compare to game I thought was comparable in popularity, Gears of War 4. It wasn't even close, Gears has less than a million views is there an explanation for that?

Vire

I noticed how high the God of War demo's view count was the other day and wanted to compare to game I thought was comparable in popularity, Gears of War 4. It wasn't even close, Gears has less than a million views is there an explanation for that?
That Gears video is not on an official channel, it's just some shady rebroadcast from a random Youtuber.

Boke1879

These numbers are all over the place for some of these games, the problem with YouTube view counts is all the different channels they are uploaded to. For the companies though they look at everything for their numbers, including looking at Facebook video views and counting them together.

I didn't know ads in front of other videos count as views though, if that is so it would explain why some of these are surprisingly notably higher than others.

I can't help but think there's some crazy brigading going on, there's always been hating on CoD but these trailer dislikes seem to be getting silly, especially the reveal trailer.

Personally I thought it was the best CoD has looked in years, doesn't say much mind compared to the like of Ghosts, but at the same time those of us on gaf irc didn't even guess it was CoD until they got into the typical firefighting. Tbh I thought it was some surprise reboot of Colony Wars or something.

Of course there is some hating going on just for the sake of it. The E3 reveal looked really good. Like legit good and people are still hating. I wouldn't put any stock in that at all.

Memento

Well, first of all, Gears of War 4 was already known. There was even a BETA I think. So it doesnt have the same impact of a first show like God of War. Second, I think the fadigue is getting serious with Gears.

Does God of War have any ad spots like Watchdogs 2? if not that is even more impressive.

No. It makes no sense to put a 10 minutes gameplay demo as an ad. It has to be a brief trailer. It would be very dumb. In fact, I dont think it is even possible to have a 10 minutes ad on Youtube.

That Gears video is not on an official channel, it's just some shady rebroadcast from a random Youtuber.

Oh you're right, but I just checked the official xbox page and their version has even less, around 130,000 views. I know that teaser trailer was really popular, just odd the gameplay demo hasn't been.

QuikNez

Can someone please repost just the numbers sans the videos? The thread breaks on my phone.

Bless your hearts... All of them.

Vire

Oh you're right, but I just checked the official xbox page and their version has even less, around 130,000 views. I know that teaser trailer was really popular, just odd the gameplay demo hasn't been.
Gameplay demos don't usually get as many views as trailers. Hence that sound of silence trailer for Gears 4 having 15 million views.

I wouldn't put too much stock into it.

Memento

Well, that actually happens very often. In fact, the official upload (in the xbox official youtube chanel) has way less views than the one in OP. I think OP picked the trailers with more views regardless of official chanels or not.

In regards to that, there is something I just found it. Alongside the official upload of the gameplay demo of God of War in the PlayStation chanel (the one in the OP, with almost 8 million views), there is another upload from the GameNewsOfficial chanel on Youtube, that managed to reach 2.8 million views too! Here:

https://youtu.be/SljB_5WWOho

Which means that when aggregated we have almost 11 million views for the God of War E3 demo just with these two videos.

Ding, ding. I think we finally found our E3 winner :)

Boke1879

I believe both Gears and GoW will perform much better than their spinoff games.

More specifically God Of War has always been a beast. I think people really respond to it. other than Naughty Dog I really trust SSM in their technical prowess when it comes to the God of War series.

I believe both Gears and GoW will perform much better than their spinoff games.

More specifically God Of War has always been a beast. I think people really respond to it. other than Naughty Dog I really trust SSM in their technical prowess when it comes to the God of War series.

Every mainline Gears of War game has outsold every God of War game individually.

However, I fully expect that to change with future releases. Everything Sony touches turns to gold at the moment, while MS' exclusives are on a downward trajectory.

FelipeMGM

Every Gears of War game has outsold every God of War game individually.

However, I fully expect that to change with future releases. Everything Sony touches turns to gold at the moment, while MS' exclusives are on a downward trajectory.

Maybe, but Gears4 is also a beast, that ''Tomorrow'' trailer has over 16M views

FelipeMGM

I hope you're right matey.

I expect relatively soft, but respectable sales for Gears of War 4 later this year.

I think is fair to believe that Gears is becoming a more important and appealing Microsoft IP than Halo is, I sure am more interested in Gears4 than I was for Halo 5.

UberTag

Yes, I've noticed that a few times in the last couple of days (well, that and Mafia 3). Do videos that play even for five seconds before you click away count as a view from their official channel source though?
They count. It's a way to artificially inflate your view count via advertising.

Ushay

I thought people hate Kratos (well in Neogaf anyway).

Yeah I hated him too, but this new Kratos is something else entirely. I love this new father son dynamic they have introduced, given his own familial issues he had in the last 3 games. I'm 100% going to pick up a PS4 for this game, it looks superb.

tmp_3353-greenawaltegdiqnp.gif

Holy shit @ this gif!!!1

sono

Thank you for this thread. I had not seen the new Mass Effect Andromedia Trailer. It is really good!. So hyped for this. (Not so much for those with higher view counts..)

Maybe, but Gears4 is also a beast, that ''Tomorrow'' trailer has over 16M views

To be fair that trailer... does enjoy the benefits of an inflated view count due to it being run as preroll ads.

Still very impressive to hit 16m, but based on no of likes, it's view count is not as organic as say the insanely popular BF1 reveal trailer .

Why is the number of likes for games like ReCore and Ghost Recon so low? For example:

Spider-Man: 2.3 million views and 40k likes
Mass Effect: 2 million views and 29k likes
Forza Horizon: 1.8 million views and 36k likes

But:
Ghost Recon: 3.6 million views and 4k likes
ReCore: 1.7 million views and 7k likes

Is this because of ads?

DKHF

Why is the number of likes for games like ReCore and Ghost Recon so low? For example:

Spider-Man: 2.3 million views and 40k likes
Mass Effect: 2 million views and 29k likes
Forza Horizon: 1.8 million views and 36k likes

But:
Ghost Recon: 3.6 million views and 4k likes
ReCore: 1.7 million views and 7k likes

Is this because of ads?
Definitely because of ads (assuming ReCore's trailer is being shown as an ad heavily), ReCore having not that much less views than Spider-Man makes very little sense otherwise.

Ravage

Well, that actually happens very often. In fact, the official upload (in the xbox official youtube chanel) has way less views than the one in OP. I think OP picked the trailers with more views regardless of official chanels or not.

In regards to that, there is something I just found it. Alongside the official upload of the gameplay demo of God of War in the PlayStation chanel (the one in the OP, with almost 8 million views), there is another upload from the GameNewsOfficial chanel on Youtube, that managed to reach 2.8 million views too! Here:

https://youtu.be/SljB_5WWOho

Which means that when aggregated we have almost 11 million views for the God of War E3 demo just with these two videos.

Ding, ding. I think we finally found our E3 winner :)

The official trailer is at 8.2M now so that adds up to >11M views.

Very impressive considering it did that without ads view inflating the numbers.

To note:

The Spider-Man trailer has 3 official channels that each brand promoted (Insomniac, PS, Marvel):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sLm1A2-Fr7s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3R2uvJqWeVg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aDPWDkdNLEc

Roughly 4.98 million views combined

Spidey's combined numbers are very impressive too (almost 5M now).

K.Sabot

Interesting note: the Nier Automata boss battle gameplay video on Squeenix's channel surpassed the E3 2016 trailer in views on Playstation's channel despite coming out later.

The power of word of mouth.

I know for a fact that the Spider Man trailer has at least 2 uploads with a million views each. I think one on the PS channel and one on the Marvel channel.

JimiNutz

Banned

I haven't played a COD since COD4 and I was really excited when I first saw COD IW. Like you I actually had no idea it was even a COD game to start with.

The thing is, with Battlefield going to WWI this year and Titanfall 2 also filling the futuristic/space warfare market maybe COD would have been better off just pumping out another modern warfare type game this year since there's a gap in the market for one this time?

I haven't played a COD since COD4 and I was really excited when I first saw COD IW. Like you I actually had no idea it was even a COD game to start with.

The thing is, with Battlefield going to WWI this year and Titanfall 2 also filling the futuristic/space warfare market maybe COD would have been better off just pumping out another modern warfare type game this year since there's a gap in the market for one this time?

For a long time, they're going to be better off putting out anything called Modern Warfare. It's better than anything they can make new. And they know. And so it's included and will be included.

Completely agree it felt like something else. Excited to have that feeling about a CoD trailer. They are very good at making trailers feel new.

Top Bottom