• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A New Game from Ex-Dragon Quest Director Expected To Be Announced On December 23rd

RK128

So that it is never localized? No Thanks.

PS4 please.

Considering we are getting DQVII and VIII next year for the 3DS, I think you're a bit wrong there :).

But considering how the 3DS will likely stop getting support by 2017, I could understand wanting DQ games to come to playstation, as they seem to get games localized faster (though we still have no idea on Builders, PS4 XI and Heroes 2).

Unless they've decided to make a new Rocket Slime, I have to imagine this is a mobile title.

Being a completely new title rules out a port/remake, or an expansion for Dragon Quest X. But I can't imagine them announcing another Monsters game or Heroes 3 before the next games even release.

crinale

Well this has become a small news in Japan but considering SE is DQ event right after year changes to 2016 we aren't expecting major to be revealed at Dec, but SE's announcement pattern has been a bit erratic too so something major may come.

Edit: It's also worth nothing that guy will show up very late at night, so I think we can cross out major announcement..

Asd202

Nintendo is localizing DQ VII and VIII if those bomb we will probably never see them picking up DQ ever again. Though they may have already made a deal with SE regarding DQ XI hence we see VII and VIII.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Unless they've decided to make a new Rocket Slime, I have to imagine this a mobile title.

Being a completely new title rules out a port/remake, or an expansion for Dragon Quest X. But I can't imagine them announcing another Monsters game or Heroes 3 before the next games even release.

Yeah, dont expect a packaged or full priced title to be announced this late in the year when they already have spin-offs lineuped for the next couple months with Heroes 2, Builders and Jokers 3. Digital/f2p would be my guess....

Jeez, in the past year we've had...

Theatrhythm Dragon Quest
DQ XI announcment
DQVIII on 3DS
DQVII and VIII western release announcement
DQ Builders
DQ Heroes
DQ Heroes II announcement
DQ Joker 3 coming out

I mean what's left? Rocket Slime? Some sort of kart racer?
Yeah it's pretty crazy having all these DQ games atm. Don't forget the mobile games as well.

sörine;190059926 said:
Right, but it's not a great sign. It also means they might be choosier with what they decide to bother with here on out.

It took them about 5 games on DS/Wii before they gave up completely last time, half of which outsold Heroes.
Again, the English version also work for the Asian territories and from what we know, DQH sold more than a million in Asia/Japan, which is good enough for some companies.

Companies bet IP's on single strategies all the time, particularly Japanese ones.
Square Enix isn't a small company though. They have also changed a lot the past few years after the new CEO.

Also, the funniest thing isn't even people asking for specific game, but for specific platforms.
Like "it doesn't matter what game it is, it has to be here !!". Anyway, I guess it's likely to be a new spin-off entry :p
2016 is Dragon Quest anniversary, they want to have Dragon Quest everywhere

Heard about this on twitter, and assumed Dragon Quest 9 for mobile is probably right. It's the only missing main entry at the moment. They'll be able to boast that all entries are playable on iOS and Android for the anniversary.

EDIT
Just read Jin's comments, and a port seems unlikely. Curious now. I could definitely go for another Rocket Slime.

Considering we are getting DQVII and VIII next year for the 3DS, I think you're a bit wrong there :).

But considering how the 3DS will likely stop getting support by 2017, I could understand wanting DQ games to come to playstation, as they seem to get games localized faster (though we still have no idea on Builders, PS4 XI and Heroes 2).
I was talking about the 2017 support, of course. Vita/3DS/WiiU will be long dead by then. XBO is obviously out of question and PS4 version means it will make way to Steam as well.

Well this has become a small news in Japan but considering SE is DQ event right after year changes to 2016 we aren't expecting major to be revealed at Dec, but SE's announcement pattern has been a bit erratic too so something major may come.
Expecting new mobile game now. Hype deflated.

from verendus list there is one Dragon Quest Game left to be announced for Ps4

he said its a Remake.

Dragon Quest 5 HD on Ps4?

Edit: oh he rules out remakes.... :(

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Dragon Quest XII for PS4, PS5
, and NX

kadotsu

Banned
They have many console/handheld games in development so my guess would be a new mobile RPG or an expansion for X.

Lol, nah. It sold even half of what the PS4 version sold, in just NPD, and not counting digital.

Here is the LTD starting Dec 1st.
Owners: 14,450 ± 2,619

The good thing is it didn't tanked like other TK releases. Still in top 100, I think this game has a bright future in long term sales.

Eolz

I wouldn't bet on a big game. Might not even be one getting a localization, especially after the poor PS4 spinoff sales.

Lol, nah. It sold even half of what the PS4 version sold, in just NPD, and not counting digital.

Oh LOL, then he was sarcastic. I actually think that Square really isn't taking that much in consideration how well Heroes did in the west. It's a really different game, not a traditional DQ.

Oh LOL, then he was sarcastic. I actually think that Square really isn't taking that much in consideration how well Heroes did in the west. It's a really different game, not a traditional DQ.

Traditional DQs don't do much in West. Unless its a big, new mainline release with a load of marketing.

Asd202

All those gloom talks regarding DQH sales on PS4 in the West needs to stop. First it was only NPD second it's a fan service game for a series that haven't had a game on the platform for years and third it wouldn't do to hot on 3DS also seeing how sales for the platform have fallen recently. If we won't see DQH 2 or DQ XI than we can say it bombed horribly.

Hexa

Heroes sold more on steam? That's surprising actually. Hope DQ XI and Heroes II come over to the west though.

I sincerely doubt that. According to Steam spy its about 15,000. It hasn't gone on sale though so hopefully that'll pick up.
Still, the games very much will remain heavily focused on Japan where it debuted at 325k on PS3 and 260k on PS4, so the focus will remain Playstation.

Eolz

All those gloom talks regarding DQH sales on PS4 in the West needs to stop. First it was only NPD second it's a fan service game for a series that haven't had a game on the platform for years and third it wouldn't do to hot on 3DS also seeing how sales for the platform have fallen recently.

Loweredexpectations.gif ?

Mainline DQ doesn't really sell well in the west anyway (even if IX did pretty well). Doesn't help that S-E doesn't know how to market it.

Asd202

Loweredexpectations.gif ?

Mainline DQ doesn't really sell well in the west anyway (even if IX did pretty well). Doesn't help that S-E doesn't know how to market it.

Well I'm not expecting some huge numbers but I get the feeling some are like "if this was on Nintendo platform it would have done much better" and IMO it wouldn't.

Top Bottom