• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A New Game from Ex-Dragon Quest Director Expected To Be Announced On December 23rd

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
So that it is never localized? No Thanks.

PS4 please.

aren't we getting DQVII and VIII next yera?
btw, if it is a completely new game, this will not be the PS4 remake Verendus hinted at, right? Or...will it, because it is completely new, due to the fact that they didn't announce it yet?
btw, hype! I'll boost the hype through DQ Heros on my Ps4 in the meantime! :p

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Heroes sold more on steam? That's surprising actually. Hope DQ XI and Heroes II come over to the west though.

Nah it bombed but it also had zero marketing and was full price.

Also can we please have a Dragon Quest thread without stupid console/PC war shit posting for once? Judging by sales not many of you buy the games anyway!

Demise

Not a port apparently.

NOOOOOOO !

I did hope for a DQVIII steam and PS4 port with all the 3DS stuff added to it from all of my soul. What's the point doing more game when the serie hits its highest with DQVIII and the king title is not on every platform ? That baffle me hard, Square Enix come on, be smart about it, that's easy money here.

crinale

And one final thing.. Siliconera really didn't translate the thing right. I don't mean to be pedantic but technically guy didn't even say he'll be revealing a Dragon Quest game..

KiTA

That's kind of the theme for Dragon Quest in the west.

0 marketing
full price
no expansion pack (DQMJ2 vs DQMJ2Pro)

"Welp, guess you gaijin are just too stupid to like Dragon Quest."

Hell, the Dragon Quest Heroes in store ads were printed on the back of their ads for some other game.

So, this is a "new game," which rules out remakes, right? Does it rule out spinoffs and expansions and the like? I.e., this won't be a DQXI expansion announcement, or a DQ1-3 compilation for 3DS announcement or something?

Not really sure what it could be then. We have a monsters game coming, we have a new main line game coming, we have a new heroes game coming. The obvious would be Rocket Slime 4, but IIRC Rocket Slime 3 bombed in Japan.

Maybe a new Torneko's / Yangus's Mysterious Dungeon game?

crinale

What he said is this: "I'll be revealing a new game for the first time since I left Dragon Quest". Could this be DQ game? Maybe, maybe not.
The stream being held by DQ guy gives a chance this game being DQ franchise, but it could literary be anything.

True, though it's a Dragon Quest dude announcing a new game on a Dragon Quest stream.

If it wasn't a Dragon Quest game he's presenting that would practically be trolling.

That said... it's not going to be something major with how they're presenting it. Mobile game maybe? At best maybe some sort of Wii U game akin to Swords.

I'm expecting a Rocket Slime game or something small like that. Mobile even.

They blew the DQ11 load already and Heroes 2 isn't even out yet. Don't think it will be a meaty project.

Aeana

It doesn't really make sense for this to be a DQ game since there is going to be a special DQ event next month. I mean, it could be, but I don't see why they'd jump the gun.

crinale

True, though it's a Dragon Quest dude announcing a new game on a Dragon Quest stream.

If it wasn't a Dragon Quest game he's presenting that would practically be trolling.

That said... it's not going to be something major with how they're presenting it. Mobile game maybe? At best maybe some sort of Wii U game akin to Swords.

Renamed to be more accurate. Siliconera why are you so terrible?

Even in original Japanese the way he worded (and this being announced at DQ stream) gives extremely vague (I hope he isn't doing this on purpose), so I won't actually blame Siliconera. In Japan while only few are expecting anything major half people are expecting this to be DQ franchise while others aren't.

Takao

Banned
It doesn't really make sense for this to be a DQ game since there is going to be a special DQ event next month. I mean, it could be, but I don't see why they'd jump the gun.

They announced the majority of the recent spinoffs in the weeks prior to the XI press conference. Granted, those were in magazines and not some unadvertised stream, but still.

Aeana

Even in original Japanese the way he worded (and this being announced at DQ stream) gives extremely vague (I hope he isn't doing this on purpose), so I won't actually blame Siliconera.

I don't think it's vague at all. It doesn't make much sense to say ドラクエをやめてから and then be talking about a DQ game.

I guess you could also interpret the fact that he says 'since I quit Dragon Quest" to mean that it won't be Dragon Quest because if he quit Dragon Quest, it's not going to be Dragon Quest..... right?

Beaten to the punch.

crinale

I don't think it's vague at all. It doesn't make much sense to say ドラクエをやめてから and then be talking about a DQ game.

I guess you could also interpret the fact that he says 'since I quit Dragon Quest" to mean that it won't be Dragon Quest because if he quit Dragon Quest, it's not going to be Dragon Quest..... right?

Beaten to the punch.

Well I agree with that too. Though like n00b said with him saying the announcement is held at DQ stream one may guess he is hinting to him returning to DQ franchise since he left. But anyway I'll stop here since it'll be only like 2 days from now so we all can wait & see.
Either way, we'll stick with this since it's much more accurate to the tweet. If it turns out to be DQ, we can be pleasantly surprised!
Agree with that too :D

Aeana

Either way, we'll stick with this since it's much more accurate to the tweet. If it turns out to be DQ, we can be pleasantly surprised!

Bolivar687

Banned

Also can we please have a Dragon Quest thread without stupid console/PC war shit posting for once? Judging by sales not many of you buy the games anyway!

^ Please. For real, why haven't you guys bought Dragon Quest Heroes :_(

I liked Bolivar687's post from another DQ thread, so I'm going to use it here in this one:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=188406962&postcount=33

I know he meant Spring 2016.

Haha I saw the green I'm like "wtf did I post in here!?"

But yeah, DQVR (woah... DQ VR....) be an AMAZING opportunity for SQEX to capitalize on the remaster trend. BUT... it seems like this is going to be completely new. Maybe another MMO or an online game since this is the director of the last one? Wouldn't say no to that.

Vita please :p

Hmm, didn't he leave Armor Project, SE, or wherever the heck he worked at? Could've sworn I read something about that.

Edit: Well his Twitter bio says he still works at Square Enix but I swear I looked at his page a couple of weeks ago and that none of that was there.

KiTA

Hmm, didn't he leave Armor Project, SE, or wherever the heck he worked at? Could've sworn I read something about that.

Edit: Well his Twitter bio says he still works at Square Enix but I swear I looked at his page a couple of weeks ago and that none of that was there.

Armor Project is Yuji Horii.

IIRC this is "the other guy" who worked on DQX with Yoshi-P?

AmyS

^ Please. For real, why haven't you guys bought Dragon Quest Heroes :_(

Haha I saw the green I'm like "wtf did I post in here!?"

But yeah, DQVR (woah... DQ VR....) be an AMAZING opportunity for SQEX to capitalize on the remaster trend. BUT... it seems like this is going to be completely new. Maybe another MMO or an online game since this is the director of the last one? Wouldn't say no to that.

Vita please :p

I was so blown away by watching this low quality 240p video, the trailer for PS2 DQV remake, that I went to the trouble of getting emulation and the fan translation working on my laptop so I could play it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3smfBzIJcH4

This would be amazing in 3D and I don't think even the og 3DS would have much trouble with a port. It's not as complex as DQ VIII which doesn't have 3D IIRC.
Anyway, going from Super Famicom DQV to DS version to PS2 version is amazing.

Top Bottom