• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A Nintendo Switch has been taken apart

Rodin

I still don't think it will be pascal and even if it is it is not suddenly going to make the switch competitive power wise with the ps4/xb1

we have seen what the console can do already. it cannot even run zelda at 1080p, a game which has likely been finished for months so they have had a lot of time to tweak and optimise. and that is still absolutely fine. it is a killer handheld.

Sure, a port developed in less than a year while the team was also working on the Wii U version certainly shows us what the machine can and can't do. Switch to be the only console maxed by a day one port (not even original game, a fucking port) confirmed.

Oh, the bolded is also bullshit, but i think even you know that.

In regards to the RAM:

Made by Samsung Electronics (SEC)

Nvidia Shield TV has 3GB of LPDDR4-3200 RAM

Source: http://www.anandtech.com/show/9289/the-nvidia-shield-android-tv-review

The marker code on the Shield TV's 3GB LPDDR4-3200 RAM is

SEC 510
K4F2E30
4HAMGCH

Source: http://www.eevblog.com/forum/reviews/teardown-nvidia-shield-tv/

The RAM code on that picture?

SEC 531
KF ????

If we can figure out this code I can tell you EXACTLY how fast the Switch's RAM/quantity/timings etc are

http://imgsrc.baidu.com/forum/pic/item/12ead188d43f87942d68c5bddb1b0ef41ad53a39.jpg

Vena

The Foxcon leaker didnt know if its A57 or A72/A73, that part was guessed. He only knew that it was ARMv8. I think the Pascal/16nm thing was also guessed.`But the clocks are interesting.

The reported clocks are/were too high for A57 on 20nm to actually be used in the device (heat and power draw concerns) so its a logical jump to say that its 16nm but A57 does not exist on that node, but nothing indicates that those clocks were/are being used. They could have been stress-test extremes and are not indicative of actual realtime usage.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
I really hope, for your sake, that you are getting paid to post this stuff, otherwise...you are putting way too much spare time into it.

Lol.

Paid for what exactly? Do you have actual points to make?

Because I do with my spare time whatever I want. And I actually joined GAF because of WUST, so I'm very attracted to this kind of threads.

Yes I do, i'm from Europe and have studied Mandarin.

Have you seen the original post about the Foxconn leak then?

Just to clarify and my last post on this theme. I didn't say that a Chinese person doesn't speak English and doesn't know what the letter L looks like.

I only wondered if a Chinese person will think about a "L" shape in the same way as someone who uses a Latin alphabet and associate the the letter with the shape. That's it. Nothing more, nothing less.

I also stated several times that I believe that the person has seen a Switch.

Deeke[VRZ];230626790 said:
In regards to the RAM:

Made by Samsung Electronics (SEC)

Nvidia Shield TV has 3GB of LPDDR4-3200 RAM

Source: http://www.anandtech.com/show/9289/the-nvidia-shield-android-tv-review

The markets on the Shield TV's 3GB LPDDR4-3200 RAM are

SEC 510
K4F2E30
4HAMGCH

Source: http://www.eevblog.com/forum/reviews/teardown-nvidia-shield-tv/

The RAM code on that picture?

SEC 531
KF ????

If we can figure out this code I can tell you EXACTLY how fast the Switch's RAM/quantity/timings etc are

http://imgsrc.baidu.com/forum/pic/item/12ead188d43f87942d68c5bddb1b0ef41ad53a39.jpg

Go back a couple of pages and read thraktor's posts

EloquentM

aka Mannny
Seems like some people in this thread don't even know what the foxconn leak is hence the "are you guys still entertaining pascal?"

Sure, a port developed in less than a year while the team was also working on the Wii U version certainly shows us what the machine can and can't do. Switch to be the only console maxed by a day one port (not even original game, a fucking port) confirmed.

Oh, the bolded is also bullshit, but i think even you know that.
I don't think it's bullshit, it's been heavily rumoured that Zelda has been done for a while.

Also I never said anything about it "maxing the switches potential" or whatever. But look at Killzone Shadowfall, look at Ryse, etc. They - to this day - are still representative of what those consoles can do. They had limitations, sure, such as low res in Ryse's case and an uneven frame rate in KZSF's case, but they are generally what this gen looks like on both consoles.

I think it's silly to even expect anything outside of the euro gamer leak, which was incredibly accurate with the reveal info, matches up well with the 720p->1080p performance requirements expected, and even matches the leaked dev documents.

Then why isn't it 1080 and why does it still drop frames even in 900?

Maybe the memory bandwidth is killing it. It's only 25GB/s right?

Is it possible that the engine for it is basically set to operate with Edram and that's hampering a unified memory system?

Possibly so. It isn't fully optimized for the Switch and it seems like Nintendo is just rushing it. A combination of all of those or the switch is tad more underpowered than we thought.

Not sure if anyone else has pointed this out, but the re-translated Foxconn leak said this:

Now, take a look at the heatsink, fan, and fins:

In addition to everything else the Foxconn leak had correct, I just can't see any way that this observation in particular was a wild guess. I'm now fully convinced that the Foxconn leak was 100% correct, which means we're currently looking at a Pascal chip X1 chip, likely using 4 A72 cores, and will be seeing a more powerful dock for 4K gaming later on.

All the switch dev kits could have an L shape heat sink. That proves nothing.

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
FWIW, the reddit thread about this says that the person who leaked the photos specified that this wasn't a retail unit. I'm not sure that changes anything in terms of hardware speculation, but it is what it is.
So it's probably a dev kit.

Orbit_shadow

Neo Member
I'm chinese.

Yes, we use "L-shaped" To describe stuff.
Yes, we also use "J-shaped" to describe stuff, but generally L is used more often in this regard.
And no, there is no Chinese character that a normal native would use to describe "L/J-shaped" stuff.
田-shaped or 人-shaped are examples in which Chinese characters ARE actually used to describe shapes.

Please just move on from this stupidity.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
I'm chinese.

Yes, we also use "J-shaped" to describe stuff, but generally L is used more often in this regard.
And no, there is no Chinese character that a normal native would use to describe "L/J-shaped" stuff.
田-shaped or 人-shaped are examples in which Chinese characters ARE actually used to describe shapes.

So what you're saying is the Foxconn leaker is fake 🤔

Nah, I know about it. You could quote me next time ;-)
I wasn't talking about you specifically. There were more people than you in the thread. Also I was too lazy to quote one person but not everyone else saying it lol

Vena

Either that or a defective unit. It's hard for anyone to be certain. We're going to have to wait for a Switch to be sacrificed in the name of science post release.

Who knows, maybe retail will be A3.

We know there was some updates between July kits and finalization, even Matt is aware of such, but we don't know the capacity of it. It could just be a clock change and not even a new revision. We also have no idea what this unit is, if its a kit it's probably a kit from AFTER July because the fab of its chip is in July, meaning the dev unit went out much later than that.

This could well be the final revision.

Paid for what exactly? Do you have actual points to make?

Because I do with my spare time whatever I want. And I actually joined GAF because of WUST, so I'm very attracted to this kind of threads.
You are continuously making my point for me, as has been noted many times by other posters in Switch threads.

Of course you can use your spare time as you like. I can laugh at it though and see it for what it is.

Please continue, explain Chinese to me again.

Rodin

I don't think it's bullshit, it's been heavily rumoured that Zelda has been done for a while.
The game went gold earlier this month. We even have a pic of the party thrown at Nintendo. Either way, it's still a port from a different console with a different architecture made to be ready for launch. But then again there were people saying that Darksiders 2 was representative of what the Wii U could do.

Also I never said anything about it "maxing the switches potential" or whatever. But look at Killzone Shadowfall, look at Ryse, etc. They - to this day - are still representative of what those consoles can do. They had limitations, sure, such as low res in Ryse's case and an uneven frame rate in KZSF's case, but they are generally what this gen looks like on both consoles.

I think it's silly to even expect anything outside of the euro gamer leak, which was incredibly accurate with the reveal info, matches up well with the 720p->1080p performance requirements expected, and even matches the leaked dev documents.
KZ and Ryse are original games made for PS4 and Xbox One. They're representative of what the console can do, but they were long outclassed by a lot of games that came out later. A new Zelda made from the scratch for Switch will absolutely outclass Breath of the Wild.

sits

Seems like some people in this thread don't even know what the foxconn leak is hence the "are you guys still entertaining pascal?"

Every time the Switch HW Speculation Thread changes to a new thread, we get a new bunch of people coming in with these posts. I literally just resort to skimming this thread looking for any of these avatars:

image.php
image.php
image.php
image.php

Imagine someone waking up to this thread
"Wow a Nintendo Switch has been taken apart! I wonder what GAF is speculating and discovering-"
"THAT'S NOT AN L AND YOU KNOW IT"
*closes thread.*

Schnozberry

Who knows, maybe retail will be A3.

We know there was some updates between July kits and finalization, even Matt is aware of such, but we don't know the capacity of it. It could just be a clock change and not even a new revision. We also have no idea what this unit is, if its a kit it's probably a kit from AFTER July because the fab of its chip is in July, meaning the dev unit went out much later than that.

This could well be the final revision.

The latest Nintendo documentation up on the developer portal is from January 12th, and hasn't been leaked yet. I don't have access to it, but I have friends here in Austin that do and they won't tell me shit.

The game went gold earlier this month. We even have a pic of the party thrown at Nintendo. Either way, it's still a port from a different console with a different architecture made to be ready for launch. But then again there were people saying that Darksiders 2 was representative of what the Wii U could do.

KZ and Ryse are original games made for PS4 and Xbox One. They're representative of what the console can do, but they were long outclassed by a lot of games that came out later. A new Zelda made from the scratch for Switch will absolutely outclass Breath of the Wild.
Name any software that is coming to the Switch (even from nintendo themselves AND built from the ground up) that looks remotely within the realm of requiring PS4/XB1 power.

Everything of the Switch shown so far suggests power on par with the Wii U during portable mode, and power suitable for 1080p versions of Wii U quality games while docked. I'm sure we'll be able to highlight this even clearer with the release of Snake Pass on March 29, which will be an enlightening game in terms of relative performance to other platforms - although I'm sure some will claim, as with pretty much every other game shown so far, that it is not representative of the Switch's power. I wonder when anything will be?

nynt9

I'm chinese.

B-but are you sure you're Chinese? You speak English so you can't possibly be really Chinese, right? Because otherwise you wouldn't use the letters L or J to describe anything.
/s

Schnozberry

I wouldn't be shocked if they shrunk down the X1 design to 16nm for extra power efficiency, but a fresh Pascal design for the Switch is implausible given the design timetable. It is possible that the final clocks may be tweaked slightly from Eurogamer's leaks though. It seems like Nintendo was still taking developer input on the hardware into late 2016.

Nothing interesting in to add to this thread other than it's pretty amazing. I do wish they were using nvidia's newest tech but it's Understandable and still pretty neat

Polygonal_Sprite

Gold Member
Then why isn't it 1080 and why does it still drop frames even in 900?

Maybe the memory bandwidth is killing it. It's only 25GB/s right?

Is it possible that the engine for it is basically set to operate with Edram and that's hampering a unified memory system?

The framedrops are probably due to the CPU more than anything else (especially if it's the rumoured 1GHz). I bet it was far worse at 1080p which is why they dropped it to 900p when docked.

The framerate is apparently a flawless 30fps in portable mode.

Schnozberry

A defective unit from Foxconn? Does this mean that it's not bought at retail or that it's a devkit?

Nobody has a retail one unless they stole it. There are no retail distribution channels for the Switch in China where it could have fallen off a truck like it did here in the US. It could be a defective unit that someone that works at Foxconn got a hold of somehow before it was scrapped, but Devkit seems like the most plausible scenario.

The framedrops are probably due to the CPU more than anything else (especially if it's the rumoured 1GHz). I bet it was far worse at 1080p which is why they dropped it to 900p when docked.

The framerate is apparently a flawless 30fps in portable mode.
if it was cpu limited then running at 1080p would not make the frame rate worse - and as mentioned, running at 30fps flawless in portable mode suggests gpu limitation as eurogamer reported that the cpu runs at full clocks while in portable mode.

Top Bottom