• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A polite discourse amongst friends on the importance of MP-elements in No Man's Sky

Status
Not open for further replies.

SomTervo

uKicTN.gif

This thread right now.

Me, guffawing:

image.php

SomTervo

I think the real question is... Why the hell wouldn't you want to fly into the sun? Because doing ridiculous shit in sandbox games is exciting.

I still think the game is very enjoyable, but it's a huge letdown from the expectations Sean Murray and Hello Games set the last few years leading all the way up to release. And I still can't believe they are ignoring their consumers. I do hope for a NMS sequel that gets these failings right, but unless they turn around their community relations I won't be giving them another dime anyway. I'm not big on being misled and then ignored after they have my money.

I won't disagree with you on this and I empathise with your frustration, even if I don't really share it.

The only thing I'll say is that I don't think we'll get NMS2. I honestly think they'll just add all this stuff on to the existing game with various updates. They've already delivered on that promise with the day one update.

So wait is it still radio silence?

What's happened?

Unfortunately yes :/

Sounder2

I see we've reached the "people just dont understand/appreciate the game!" stage of the review reactions.

I think people understand the game just fine. I don't think people appreciate the game. Which is fine, not everyone has to. I just think it makes people\companies less inclined to do something similar in the future. Why create a new/different AAA title people will shit on when I can just churn out another Assassins Creed and Forza and be done with it.

Negaduck

I mean, it sucks to not get some of the major questions people keep having.

But let them take a week off or at least a few days. They just released a game that has been highly anticipated for a long time and who knows how long their crunch has been up to release.

Let the team enjoy their life outside of game development and take a nap, sleep in for once, just be happy that the game came out. For such a small team it's one hell of an accomplishment

I came back in this topic to see if anything changed, and I ended up reading about how that heavy interactivity between animals isn't there. The "shooting the bird into the water and something coming out to eat it" would have been so cool.

Acerac

Banned
I'm gonna put this here since it's basically the "disappointment thread" about NMS:
https://steamdb.info/app/275850/
According to this, the game is excluded from the Family Sharing service on Steam. Which is a damn shame for people like me, because we were gonna split the cost with my girlfriend. We're both semi-broke so we can't afford the full price, and now I see that we won't be able to have different saves even if we use a different account.
I was so hyped for this game but the lack of communication these past couple of days, and being unable to share it with someone... fuck :/

How is it on PS4 ? Can you have a second account and a different save ?

Huh, that's lame. It's unlikely that I'll get this game in that case. =/

I mean, it sucks to not get some of the major questions people keep having.

But let them take a week off or at least a few days. They just released a game that has been highly anticipated for a long time and who knows how long their crunch has been up to release.

Let the team enjoy their life outside of game development and take a nap, sleep in for once, just be happy that the game came out. For such a small team it's one hell of an accomplishment

For the amount of our money that they are raking in I think we deserve some prompt answers.

Sure, but it was pegged as a game with real physics:

Oh, I wonder where that AI stuff went:

Man, that article is great:

And it definitely never was pegged as a simulation:

Source: http://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2016/02/artificial-universe-no-mans-sky/463308/

Either he didn't understand the questions he was being asked or he was talking about a different game. He certainly isn't lying here, I know that much. He's the most honest guy I've never met. The real deal.

Klyka

Banned
I think people understand the game just fine. I don't think people appreciate the game. Which is fine, not everyone has to. I just think it makes people\companies less inclined to do something similar in the future. Why create a new/different AAA title people will shit on when I can just churn out another Assassins Creed and Forza and be done with it.

No Man's Sky isn't the first, nor the last game that does what it does and there are already right now games being made that are doing what it does.

Hell, one of them was shown at E3 even.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton

Being different is not inherently good. There are great games that follow a classic formula and there are great games that innovate. But there are also tons of games that are different and bad.

NMS is not even that different in the end. And even if it were is not a quality per se.

So enough with this bullshit that if you criticise this game nobody will create new games anymore. There are no more creative people in the industry?

For the amount of our money that they are raking in I think we deserve some prompt answers.

They don't owe you anything! You bought the game without waiting for the controversies to come out. That's on you. Just appreciate what we have. Fly around some more and collect some garbage. They're an indie developer. They don't know any better.

You're beating a dead horse here :(

I think this entire thread might be doing that.

nynt9

I think people understand the game just fine. I don't think people appreciate the game. Which is fine, not everyone has to. I just think it makes peoplecompanies less inclined to do something similar in the future. Why create a new/different AAA title people will shit on when I can just churn out another Assassins Creed and Forza and be done with it.

I mean, people aren't shitting on the game because it's doing something different. People are upset at the devs because they said the game would have certain features and it doesn't.

Gator86

This is the kind of bullshit pseudo-shitpost I'm talking about.

1. I just refuted the majority of the things he says in that post. Why don't you try playing the game yourself?

2. The game has delivered for lots and lots of people. And they're a team of 12 people. What do you think they did, sit on their haunches for three years?

3. Why the fuck would you wish a game bomb for somebody? They haven't been corrupt here. They're an independent team who have badly mismanaged their PR. But they aren't full blown corrupt or full blown lying about their game experience like Molyneux or Wright.

Seems like a good analysis. I think Sean Murray being their entire PR management and presence was probably a mistake, too, haha.

All of the bolded is complete, total, 100% pure tales from your ass. Who cares if they're independent? That means absolutely nothing to the end customer. It's completely irrelevant in every way except "give sympathy to these plucky, indie, dudes with beards, just out there living their dreams." Are manic, pixie dream devs allowed to misrepresent their product?

What is dull blown corrupt? What is full blown lying? Why are Molyneux and Wright doing those when Sean isn't? What makes his actions some innocuous mistake whereas the others are some intentionally exploitative monsters? This isn't even moving goalposts, it's just bulldozing them off the field altogether and stating "I like thing so thing is exempt from standards I apply to other, similar things."

If people ever complain about why we get 12 Assassins Creeds, 7 Halos, 4 Uncharteds, 8 Forzas, 15 CoD, 4 God of Wars, 15+ Final Fantasies just point them to this thread. Because when someone actually comes up with something relatively different the internet just shits on it completely. They nitpick every single thing instead of enjoying the game.

Note to self never create something for people to enjoy.
There have been a lot of dumbass posts in this thread but this one might take the cake.

Give me a break.

MUnited83

For you.

Well, it could go a lot smoother if they didn't lie, you know? Like, people aren't shitting on it just to shit on it, they are doing it because specific features confirmed by the main dev himself aren't on the game and now the devs refuses to do any sort of communication about it.
It has jackshit to do with "new/different" vs "AAA".

Funny thing about you bringing up Assassin's Creed several times.

AC1 was largely derided and endlessly shit on for being overly repetitive with few things to do, even if still technically impressive in terms of the graphics, the fidelity of the world, and the traversal mechanics (which was a completely new system). I distinctly remember reading "tech demo" used as a slight toward the game pretty frequently. And at that point it was a completely unproven IP, so naturally a lot of people still had goodwill toward it because it was such an original concept and setting.

Is this a "live long enough to see yourself become the villain" thing?

The same people shitting on NMS will shit on franchises like AC and Forza for constantly doing the same thing too. People are just never happy.

If people ever complain about why we get 12 Assassins Creeds, 7 Halos, 4 Uncharteds, 8 Forzas, 15 CoD, 4 God of Wars, 15+ Final Fantasies just point them to this thread. Because when someone actually comes up with something relatively different the internet just shits on it completely. They nitpick every single thing instead of enjoying the game.

Note to self never create something for people to enjoy.

Please take a step back and take a deep breath. There is NO reason to be this invested in a $60 product, regardless of whether it's a game or not. Relax dude.

Froli

I'm still going to stick on this theory of mine.

it's possible that they currently did not implement any player character models.
That's why there is no 3rd person perspective, The close(zoomed) fov to cover the supposed hands, the absence of hands holding on weapons, the player entering the ship animation, the no hands on the cockpit controls, no hand animation interaction on the environment and because The players won't be seeing each other anyway, what's the point of adding this element at all

=Edit-
Every tool and weapon you use is all 1 handed. There is no 2 handed utility/weapons because it will expose the illusion of an actual character model.

Seiniyta

It's clear some things are scaled back, for technical or whatever reasons. What I'm interested is what people will find in the PC code once that's released. If a lot of those features are still in the code or not. Like how a lot of those advanced Watch Dogs effects could be enabled in the PC version through a mod.

Also, I'm looking forward to the modder that makes like an amplified mod for No Man's Sky, which generates a batshit insane universe.

The same people shitting on NMS will shit on franchises like AC and Forza for constantly doing the same thing too. People are just never happy.

I'm just wondering why they even play video games!? They should just get out because it's clearly not for them. All the things about this game that were promised but failed to achieve are so minor. If you want those things, just play the game and pretend they're true! This game requires a little bit of imagination like all great games.

They don't owe you anything! You bought the game without waiting for the controversies to come out. That's on you. Just appreciate what we have. Fly around some more and collect some garbage. They're an indie developer. They don't know any better.

I think this entire thread might be doing that.

I'm pretty sure you are just joking but yeah, I haven't bought anything yet. Was waiting on the PC version. Also, Sean is a smart guy, he absolutely knows better.

I'm just wondering why they even play video games!? They should just get out because it's clearly not for them. All the things about this game that were promised but failed to achieve are so minor. If you want those things, just play the game and pretend they're true! This game requires a little bit of imagination like all great games.

lmao I want to believe this is a joke but in this topic I don't know anymore

etta

my hard graphic balls

it's possible that they currently did not implement any player character models.
That's why there is no 3rd person perspective, The close(zoomed) fov to cover the supposed hands, the absence of hands holding on weapons, the player entering the ship animation, the no hands on the cockpit controls, no hand animation interaction on the environment and because The players won't be seeing each other anyway, what's the point of adding this element at all
Wait, there's no player model?!?

brau

I thought a good indication of no MP was that when you pause the game EVERYTHING pauses.

Apart from that, i think that is an interesting theory. Would be funny cuz you can mess around with people and they would not know you are there. But i guess you would not know they are there either. hmmm..

Seiniyta

Imagine the two players were looking straight at each other, but because there's no player model they couldn't see each other. Hmm, that would mean technically Sean didn't lie :p
That would be the ultimate twist.

Sianos

It hasn't man. Seriously. People like you - no offence intended - are talking about the game like you've played it or like you're intimately familiar with it. You're not.

The insane scope they planned for the game is still there. There are still an unfathomable amount of star systems, planets and creatures. There's a pretty damn compelling lore. You can still make 200 warps towards the center of the galaxy and be 0.01% closer to your destination. You can still look at a planet or moon in the sky, lift off from your planet, fly straight at the other planet or moon, reach its atmosphere, land on it and start walking around (usually finding odd new plants or creatures or buildings immediately). You can still find unique, crazy ship designs and buy them and enter dogfights in space.

All the stuff they aimed to deliver, they have delivered. There's a lot of stuff which is, relatively, fine print (which people blew out of proportion, and that's not people's fault) like the physical space between planets, the sun having a physical presence (though I don't think they officially commented on it), planetary orbits, the multiplayer thing - many of which have definitely slipped through the net and haven't been met. The real problem is that the developers haven't commented on these things.

But the overall experience they promised? Totally fucking delivered.

I think for me specifically I'm just weird and was hyped specifically about the fine print.

Doesn't mean it's a bad game, or that it won't still be a fun experience: I was just personally excited for the small touches. Most of all, I was excited to land on a planet and play environmental archeologist. Landing on a planet and trying to trace back it's geologic history, observing the flora and fauna to piece together what factors led to a particular species being naturally selected for. Exploring the interplay and development of biomes. A deeper sort of exploration that was natural and emergent.

Some of it is playtesting also leading to certain features being sanded down to make the game more accessible. I understand that planetary orbits would be disorientating for inexperienced players, but I still think it would have been really neat! It also sounds like the "what do you do?" complainers have compromised the nomadic vision. Feels like what I was expecting to be more of an emergent experience has been standardized.

And honestly, the changes I'm complaining about probably made the game a better and more accessible experience. I read too much into early comments about how seriously they were taking world generation and creature evolution expected something different. From my perspective, I think the developers shared more of my sort of vision but the game was necessarily more "gamified" at the expense of the emergent experience and more streamlined to meet deadlines.

charsace

You're joking right?

I thought a good indication of no MP was that when you pause the game EVERYTHING pauses.

Apart from that, i think that is an interesting theory. Would be funny cuz you can mess around with people and they would not know you are there. But i guess you would not know they are there either. hmmm..

imagine if the PC version just has a floating gun

You're joking right?

...Yes, he's joking.

Audioboxer

Whenever the PC version is out you'll probably know for sure if there is a player model.

Also in this topic has anyone said "will wait till it's on PS+"? Seems like the kind of thing that would have been said by now.

Imagine the two players were looking straight at each other, but because there's no player model they couldn't see each other. Hmm, that would mean technically Sean didn't lie :p

If you are invisible and someone else sees that you are invisible, than Sean Murray has absolutely not lied about the situation.

giphy.gif

From earlier,

Maybe the player characters are so alien and removed from human likeness our brains cannot comprehend their shapes and thus are unable to perceive it.

Yeah, maybe they're invisible.

Holy crap I think you are on to something. I mean he did say in that interview "Your player looks like nothing else in the game."

"Looks like nothing else in the game"

"Looks like nothing else"

"Looks like nothing..."

Mystery solved.

#Seanneverlied

Alebrije

But of both players shoot their weapons can they see the laser beam of each other ???

Seiniyta

From earlier,

Holy crap I think you are on to something. I mean he did say in that interview "Your player looks like nothing else in the game."

"Looks like nothing else in the game"

"Looks like nothing else"

"Looks like nothing..."

Mystery solved.

#Seanneverlied

It'd actually be neat if that was actually the case. But only if like, if you deformed the terrain they'd see it happen. Or if a animal just falls dead next to them as the other shoots them. You could unintentionally create some horror like experience if they can hurt each other as well.

But of both players shoot their weapons can they see the laser beam of each other ???

They'd get a damage indicator, but no visual beam! They're in some different dimension of some sorts that semi-interacts in both!

The game being a general disappointment is sort of forgivable with such a small team, it's my fault for buying it without waiting for reviews. But being bullshitted about the MP for all these years is what really annoys me, I don't plan on supporting HG again.

TimFL

Has anyone seen binary star systems in the game? That was another feature that was talked about.

If by binary system you mean 2 planets the same size next to eachother, there's a screen of something like that in the NMS screenshot topic I think.

I'm pretty sure they always hinted at MP being P2P/Lobby based so it makes sense that you can pause the game if you're going solo. That's how a lot of games do it when there's currently no P2P session going on.

Gorillaz

I knew around the time he started doing the first wave of interviews last year on Colbert that Sean and Hello Games was losing control of the narrative of the game. I know they are still "indie" level but someone on that small team if not Sean should have realized they were going into deeper waters with this game.

On this level/stage you can't play like that without getting this type of response

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom