• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A polite discourse amongst friends on the importance of MP-elements in No Man's Sky

Status
Not open for further replies.

Inviusx

By the way, there's at present no player model. You can move the camera by memory hacking; you're invisible. I mean, that's just how they designed it - it's not a 3rd person game - so this isn't a slam.

Re lobbies - I can't find any evidence of it in game, they don't even have any UDP calls. However it may be something they have on the roadmap for future - I don't know. Sometimes (often) in game development, features get cut.

Edit: by the way, since I mentioned the PC release last night, probably worth mentioning Sean has tweeted saying many of the Hello Games staff (inc him) are still in the office from since yesterday - it's 2pm here - trying to fix the PC release. I know people here hate it when I say it's a tiny indie studio, but it is a tiny indie studio.

Really cool info. I know you're not trying to post this stuff from a malicious stand point and thats cool although Im glad that you're starting to confirm a few things for the sake of the thread.

Any info on whether alien models can be datamined from the game? I'm still curious about the elusive giant worm from the trailers.

gossi

Really cool info. I know you're not trying to post this stuff from a malicious stand point and thats cool although Im glad that you're starting to confirm a few things for the sake of the thread.

Any info on whether alien models can be datamined from the game? I'm still curious about the elusive giant worm from the trailers.

I was working on it, but Steam refunded me so I'm locked out. I still have the PC files though, they just revoked the license.

The PC release uses a library ported from PS4, libSceFios2.dll - which is straight from the PS4 SDK (I'm guessing they got a redistribution license). It uses this a lot, including to access the game data, which is in .pak files, which is PSAR compression (PS4).

I've been able to write something to extract it and I've dumped all the models etc.

nQL4efx.png

flkraven

So another day. It's basically confirmed (by gossi once again) that there is no multiplayer. And again, no word from Sean et al.

The only explanation left is Sean lied.

gossi

So another day. It's basically confirmed (by gossi once again) that there is no multiplayer. And again, no word from Sean et al.

I don't think for a second Sean lied. To be clear. I think it's 3pm at a weekend and they're still in the office since yesterday trying to plaster up the PC version so it works for people. I think they maybe overstated some things in some interviews, and the messaging wasn't clear enough around multiplayer. I think they learnt a lot from this game. And they will try to fix what they can and add new things, hence the QA team they're firing up. The game has sold bucket loads, soon they will have more than 12 people.

Re that player model video - it looks fake (Edit: I'm wrong - it's real - I just got to the .MBIN.PC files - it isn't used in game for your model as when you move the camera, you're invisible - this might be the easter egg).

Inviusx

I don't think for a second Sean lied. To be clear. I think it's 3pm at a weekend and they're still in the office since yesterday trying to plaster up the PC version so it works for people. I think they maybe overstated some things in some interviews, and the messaging wasn't clear enough around multiplayer. I think they learnt a lot from this game. And they will try to fix what they can and add new things, hence the QA team they're firing up. The game has sold bucket loads, soon they will have more than 12 people.

Re that player model video - it looks fake (Edit: I'm wrong - it's real - I just got to the .MBIN.PC files - it isn't used in game for your model as when you move the camera, you're invisible - this might be the easter egg).

*Edit* Saw your edit. :p

Once again, awesome work. Anything else stick out to you from the game data?

gossi

I mean its not textured or anything so Im guessing it was place holder art used for internal testing.

they have a texture file for it, it's a bright yellow suit - reminds of the suit Desmond used to wear in Lost to leave The Hatch - they're also on some kind of hover board/skooter

Inviusx

they have a texture file for it, it's a bright yellow suit - reminds of the suit Desmond used to wear in Lost to leave The Hatch - they're also on some kind of hover board/skooter

Ok interesting. If you find anything worth posting feel free to just create an imgur gallery seperate to the thread if you want to avoid posting potential spoilers.

gossi

Ok interesting. If you find anything worth posting feel free to just create an imgur gallery seperate to the thread if you want to avoid posting potential spoilers.

yeah, I might make a thread for datamining the game. I'm going out now though. I just found
a laser sword
, haha - doesn't appear to be used though.

Been in this thread since near the beginning, and finally got to play the game for myself last night on PC. After putting about five hours in... I'm honestly kinda shocked at how little there actually is to the game. I want to be very careful about this because I know it's a small team and I know they're smart and hard-working, but I really struggle sometimes wondering what exactly they spent 3 (4?) years on.

I think I expected things to be more "weird," but the planets all really feel the same. It really is just a handful of assets repeated over and over. And the craziest thing is that you can pretty quickly reach a point where you can make your way closer to the center of the galaxy without even having to land on a planet.

Once you get a hyperdrive, all the resources you need to build warp cores can be found in the trading markets at space stations and by mining asteroids. If you can game the trade market and buy low / sell high, all you have to do is warp from system to system only stopping at spaceports.

chogidogs

As someone who pre-ordered and tried his damndest to avoid any spoiler threads, I was optimistic. Then the game crashed as I launched it for the first time. Then I lost hours and hours of progress through different session as it failed to save as I was farming. And now I broke my Atlas path game and I've lost all motivation to finish it.

Multi-player wouldn't save this game. I don't feel bad about the 60 dollars because this game would probably get there eventually. But the last thing I would have expected was me being skeptical of HG's next release after this.

samn

The developers have behaved appallingly. They should apologise and offer refunds.

It doesn't matter if they thought they could get the feature in at the time of these interviews. As soon as it was clear it wouldn't be in at the time of release they should have released a statement clarifying multiplayer would not be available and got that in front of the eyeballs of everyone who had preordered. Incompetence or naivety is no excuse when you have the backing of a giant publisher and are taking people's hard earned money. Their failure to own up to their mistake is unforgivable.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
So the lack of any kind of MP (even Journey or Dark Souls like) is pretty much confirmed. Also the fact that Sean Murrayneux didn't necessarily use the truth when promoting the game.

The developers have behaved appallingly. They should apologise and offer refunds.

It doesn't matter if they thought they could get the feature in at the time of these interviews. As soon as it was clear it wouldn't be in at the time of release they should have released a statement clarifying multiplayer would not be available and got that in front of the eyeballs of everyone who had preordered. Incompetence or naivety is no excuse when you have the backing of a giant publisher and are taking people's hard earned money. Their failure to own up to their mistake is unforgivable.

100%

For those that say MP doesn't matter to them that is completely besides the point. The point is this was a promised feature that was promoted in multiple interviews. People were going in expecting it to be a slim chance of finding other players, but that you could do so regardless.

Hello Games have been really sleazy with not making this clear for those who pre-ordered and the fact they still haven't acknowledged it even though people have found it out themselves.

By the way, there's at present no player model. You can move the camera by memory hacking; you're invisible. I mean, that's just how they designed it - it's not a 3rd person game - so this isn't a slam.

Re lobbies - I can't find any evidence of it in game, they don't even have any UDP calls. However it may be something they have on the roadmap for future - I don't know. Sometimes (often) in game development, features get cut.

Edit: by the way, since I mentioned the PC release last night, probably worth mentioning Sean has tweeted saying many of the Hello Games staff (inc him) are still in the office from since yesterday - it's 2pm here - trying to fix the PC release. I know people here hate it when I say it's a tiny indie studio, but it is a tiny indie studio.

So this confirms that there really was no intention to let you "see" another player.

yeah, I might make a thread for datamining the game. I'm going out now though. I just found
a laser sword
, haha - doesn't appear to be used though.
I'm going to put so much useless shit in my game just so people have fun data mining.

I'll make data mining it's own game for my game :O

Prizes? Prizes!

I actually like this idea.

pizzacat

Banned

As a rep for hello games, I'm happy to announce that the mp beta will be in joe danger 3

Alebrije

I preordered the game but after playing on a friends home decided to cancel it.

Yep we were hyped and the developer lied about what would be the game and what it is. This is not a 60 US game , 20-30 at much.

The animals AI is not good , there is little interaction between them, do not feel like an ecosystem maybe because the random generated stuff.

Is not a bad game but should be marketed very different. Also it can be a nice exploring game for some people or a game about nothing for others.

tuxfool

Banned
I wouldn't draw that conclusion. They might not want to give CPU time to drawing and animating the player character if they can never seen themselves.

Those resources would only be used in third person. If it isn't active in the viewport there would be no point in animating and drawing something that is effectively invisible.

Either way, even if were a horrible hack whereby the game was drawing something not visible on the screen, those resources would be minimal.

Peltz

Any pics of the character model extracted from the PC game files?

I assure you, there's no need to mark it with a spoiler warning considering it's not actually in the game.

Peltz

What it proves is the game made no attempt to communicate at the time it was tested. It doesn't indicate why. This entire 170-page circular argument is based on a conclusion jumped to without any actual evidence. It's fascinating.

I have a really good idea why....

Because it's operating exactly as it was designed.
Without multiplayer.

Froli

Something is missing

100%

For those that say MP doesn't matter to them that is completely besides the point. The point is this was a promised feature that was promoted in multiple interviews. People were going in expecting it to be a slim chance of finding other players, but that you could do so regardless.

Hello Games have been really sleazy with not making this clear for those who pre-ordered and the fact they still haven't acknowledged it even though people have found it out themselves.

"The chance of meeting people is pretty much zero"

Yeah yeah , they promoted it ...

flkraven

"The chance of meeting people is pretty much zero"

Yeah yeah , they promoted it ...

They intentionally said "pretty much" instead of saying "impossible" because they knew they could get a few sales off the misinformation. I am a prime example of someone they tried to fool. If it's zero, say zero. Gamers are notorious for the "never tell me the odd.gif". 2 people found each other within hours of launch.

They intentionally said "pretty much" instead of saying "impossible" because they knew they could get a few sales off the misinformation. I am a prime example of someone they tried to fool. If it's zero, say zero. Gamers are notorious for the "never tell me the odd.gif". 2 people found each other within hours of launch.
I understand that and i'll just say that this might be a feature they still planned to add at some point.

"It's zero , pretty much"
^^ You're not clear enough , you've tried to fool me..

Ok , then.
I'll stay clear of this thread , because it's going to be the place for a "polite discourse among friend about no man sky MP elements".

I know
Sarcasm ?

I understand that and i'll just say that this might be a feature they still planned to add at some point.

"It's zero , pretty much"
^^ You're not clear enough , you've tried to fool me..

Ok , then.
I'll stay clear of this thread , because it's going to be the place for a "polite discourse among friend about no man sky MP elements".

I know
Sarcasm ?

For what it's worth, there's a ton of interviews saying that people can meet and straight up interact (ala griefing) in some format. Sending an ambiguous tweet and not clarifying is not productive to the consumer's interest.

I'm sure people wouldn't mind at all if they said that it was coming later, but being willfully obtuse until after release is scummy.

gossi

For what it's worth, there's a ton of interviews saying that people can meet and straight up interact (ala griefing) in some format. Sending an ambiguous tweet and not clarifying is not productive to the consumer's interest.

I'm sure people wouldn't mind at all if they said that it was coming later, but being willfully obtuse until after release is scummy.

In fairness, the griefing thing was in one interview, and he didn't say yes... He just kinda made faces when asked (and furiously scratched his beard). But yeah, they weren't clear until a day before launch about the multiplayer, and after then muddied the water with the 'two players met' tweet.

desu

I'm going to put so much useless shit in my game just so people have fun data mining.

I'll make data mining it's own game for my game :O

Prizes? Prizes!

I actually like this idea.

As someone who likes data mining and likes to develop stuff, please don't steal my ideas xD!

Going back to clarify my stance .

I don't feel the scummy part , but i'll agree that they could have worded it better .

Then again , it's the same studio that did a massive day one patch expanding their own galaxy and adding stuff . I , personnaly believe that they had a lot of stuff in the works for their game and plenty couldn't make it in time. And that's the only reason why they couldn't confirm or deny some stuff . And that's why the confirmation of "zero chances of MP" didn't come untill very late.

The theory floating around this thread that they willing said nothing in order to scam or sell more sound very hollow to me.

Now , hello Games certainly could have handled it better , but given "material shown to everyone during the last 5 months prior to the release" , i fail to see the scummy part.

And i'm now out for real.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
The scummy part is that they didn't clarify it officially and without a doubt even now. It doesn't matter if it will be added later, at this moment there is no MP in the game. No, that tweet is not clarification because is immediately followed by another that it's open to interpretation. Like all their communication about this game.

Zocano

I don't feel the scummy part , but i'll agree that they could have worded it better .

Then again , it's the same studio that did a massive day one patch expanding their own galaxy and adding stuff . I , personnaly believe that they had a lot of stuff in the works for their game and plenty couldn't make it in time. And that's the only reason why they couldn't confirm or deny some stuff . And that's why the confirmation of "zero chances of MP" didn't come untill very late.

The theory floating around this thread that they willing said nothing in order to scam or sell more sound very hollow to me.

Now , hello Games certainly could have handled it better , but given "material shown to everyone during the last 5 months prior to the release" , i fail to see the scummy part.

I just want to requote this to highlight it more. This is amongst the level headed responses and reactions to Hello Games. I think the latest giantbomb beastcast also has a good discussion about it. I feel the pitchforking is absurd. It's perfectly fine to feel slighted or disappointed (I am enjoying the game but wish there was more to it) but, no, they (just Sean?) made sure to lie and trick consumers into buying their already super hyped up game. That's definitely what happened.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
I just want to requote this to highlight it more. This is amongst the level headed responses and reactions to Hello Games. I think the latest giantbomb beastcast also has a good discussion about it. I feel the pitchforking is absurd. It's perfectly fine to feel slighted or disappointed (I am enjoying the game but wish there was more to it) but, no, they (just Sean?) made sure to lie and trick consumers into buying their already super hyped up game. That's definitely what happened.

There is still no answer without any doubt from Sean regarding MP..

Onemic

Edit: Some of the things on the list I don't remember hearing about. Some, like the 90/10 ratio, were turned for the better considering how absolutely boring it is to land on a planet without life.

So far, the only things I remember being straight up cut after being mentioned were what was mentioned in this topic and the multiplayer. But that's only my personal memory.

A list with sources would be nice tho.

My friend couldn't get the customer service rep to say anything about the PSN refund rate, not that it matters all that much.

I think it's terrible tbh. Every single planet has life of some sort or has an outpost from an alien civilization. There hasnt been one planet or moon I've visited where there hasnt been life. It removes any feeling of accomplishment for finding worlds with life.

Moreche

Now that the game has sold millions and made them a lot of money, I'd love for Sean to come out and say where the future lies.
Tell us what he wants the game to be, what didn't make the cut for release and then a schedule of maybe every few months an update will fix or put back into the game.
Personally I'm not bothered abou multi-player but I'd love the end-game to be better, better functioning Eco-systems on the planets like the E3 2014 trailer.
When I land on a planet I'd love to see groups of animals grazing on the grass and watching them being disturbed by a larger carnivore, thing like that.
I want animals proportions to make sense and not have the freak shows we have now like huge animals with legs that couldn't really hold their body weight.
I've said it before, watch the E3 14 and 15 trailers closely.
This game is an absolute mess and Sean knows this, it's why he sold it on lies, previews and lots and lots of ambiguity.
A beta test last year with community involvement would have helped this game so much.

In fairness, the griefing thing was in one interview, and he didn't say yes... He just kinda made faces when asked (and furiously scratched his beard). But yeah, they weren't clear until a day before launch about the multiplayer, and after then muddied the water with the 'two players met' tweet.

Fair game on that. What I don't understand is how they can be cognitive of the pressure but refuse to clarify.

The materials shown conflict with developer statements. I mean, consumers are going to trust your word at the end of the day, regardless of whether or not you "show" it.

Honestly, at this point, I think it's how much you enjoy the product and how willing you are to be okay with the lack of certain claimed features. I'd love to call people hypocrites on this - because if someone like Ubisoft or EA did this, we'd be seeing a far larger outrage given the public opinion, but here we have shy-indie-developer-who-sold-his-house-for-game - but I do the with developers I like. I gave Capcom a pass with SFV because I really, really enjoy it as a game, despite all the shit that came with it.

So, in essence, I'm no different, and I don't think many gamers/consumers are.

That all being said, when it comes time for discussion, people have every right to talk about it and level criticisms so long as they do so constructively. Lots of people here have done so. That's why when I see comments that say people are getting out their pitchforks and shit, it doesn't help the people who want a better product or the people who have the product already.

Did Sean lie about the multiplayer aspect? He sure did, considering there's no way for MP to exists in the game given what he said. But being called out on a lie isn't exactly the end of the world, and companies get caught all the time. It's what they do after that counts the most, and that's why I have an issue with how HG is handling it. Had they been like "ah shit, sorry, we don't actually have MP in this game anymore because reasons", I'd be like "that's cool". But the silence and willful washiness is irritating.

How you take that is up to you, I guess.

I think it's terrible tbh. Every single planet has life of some sort or has an outpost from an alien civilization. There hasnt been one planet or moon I've visited where there hasnt been life. It removes any feeling of accomplishment for finding worlds with life.

I could see that. The game already has enough problems staving off my boredom that the burst of discovering something neat wouldn't be enough to carry me through the systems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom