• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A polite discourse amongst friends on the importance of MP-elements in No Man's Sky

Status
Not open for further replies.

Caayn

Who the shit cares if this game were even technically transmitting player location data if it was still effectively infeasable to rendezvous with your friends? This argument is absurd
A) It's a promised feature that's absent in the final game. A dev lying about a game's features is fine now?
B) People have already met other people via even more infeasible third-party methods.
C) Rendezvousing with friends in Elite isn't hard. And that's a game with 400 billion (400.000.000.000) star systems (not counting planets or actual amount of stars/black holes in a system).

nomis

A) It's a promised feature that's absent in the final game. A dev lying about a game's features is fine now?
B) People have already met other people via even more infeasible third-party methods.
C) Rendezvousing with friends in Elite isn't hard. And that's a game with 400 billion (400.000.000.000) star systems (not counting planets or actual amount of stars/black holes in a system).

Dude I'm on your side. I'm saying it's absurd to try and prove/disprove a networking element is present in the code when it's demonstrably not possible to meet up with someone.

From what i remember a gaffer bought the game on steam and pretty much arrived at the same conclusions as the ps4 version. No player movement data is transmitted from what i can remember. Ill find the exact quote and update this post just give me 5 min.

Edit:

So shouldn't the title be changed to "confirmed no multiplayer possible?" or a new thread be made?

Trilobit

If this had been 20USD instead of 60, I might not have asked for a steam refund within 10 minutes for fear of giving it too much of a chance and blowing my shot to get my goddamn money back on the most mindless fetch quest I've ever undertaken

As I see it, isn't 60USD feasible for a hundred-man-team game, I mean to be able to collect the development costs and whatnot? But to do that as a 12-man team, doesn't that seem a bit - and I hope I don't offend anyone - just a teensy weensy...greedy? I don't see this as an AAA-game and with how they have been bragging about their small team, shouldn't 30USD been enough to get a profit?

//ARCANUM

This is the generation of over promise under deliver. I feel so jaded now. I saw the hype building up to No Man's Sky and said to myself, "no. I'm gonna learn my lesson this time and wait and see" and now all I see are problems and underdelivering. Such a bummer. :(

I went into this game's release WANTING for it to live up to the hype. But I tempered my expectations. I've been trained to have to do so by this gen.

To be fair, I haven't played NMS yet. For all I know it could blow me away.

But I am bummed to see the reactions. :(

This is the generation of over promise under deliver. I feel so jaded now. I saw the hype building up to No Man's Sky and said to myself, "no. I'm gonna learn my lesson this time and wait and see" and now all I see are problems and underdelivering. Such a bummer. :(

I went into this game's release WANTING for it to live up to the hype. But I tempered my expectations. I've been trained to have to do so by this gen.

The reaction to the game has definitely made me glad to just wait and let a few patches hit before spending any money. I want to like this game.

//ARCANUM

The reaction to the game has definitely made me glad to just wait and let a few patches hit before spending any money. I want to like this game.

Pre-ordering these days ends up basically amounting to agreeing to beta test a game lol. I try to only do it on small low print run titles or limited editions for games I have to have these days.

People set themselves up for disappointment. It was clear from announcement. The hype was too great, there was no way for the game to live up to it.

Add in these cut features and bad communication and you arrive at the current situaton.

I went in with low expectations and was pleasantly surprised.

People set themselves up for disappointment. It was clear from announcement. The hype was too great, there was no way for the game to live up to it.

Add in these cut features and bad communication and you arrive at the current situaton.

I went in with low expectations and was pleasantly surprised.

That's why this wouldn't sting if the game was $30 or so. It's just plain is not a $60 experience.

Lothars

It sucks that it doesn't seem to have the multiplayer. I still want to hear from the Dev's about what happened.

It's as simple as this. If you feel wronged by all of this. Just don't buy the game. A lot of you have been arguing for days and for what?
It is strange but some did buy it for multiplayer and are upset about it. It's one of those things that until and an answer comes out from the dev this will be debated on.

Every gen had this kind of crap. I grew up on Molyneuxs lies. Fable 1 and Black and White releases were brutal on my younger self.

dracula_x

If I have to read that it's a fucking team of 5-15 people again,I swear i'm gonna fucking blow up.

SIXTY

FUCKING

DOLLARS

For a game that looks and runs like an early access game and has the same god damn content repeated over and over and over.

If you go into the No Man's Sky photo thread you can literally see people posting the same kind of planet with the same plants and the sameish animals but in different colors (sometimes not even) and the same style over and over and over.

Everyone basically sees the same planets in a different order.

SIXTY

FUCKING

NO MAN'S

DOLLARS

Woody-Harrelson-Cry.gif

Wootball

This thread is really weird. Anyway, u absolutely adore this game so far. I usually have survival games - Don't Starve, Binding of Isaac, I hate them. But this game has its hooks in me, and is one of the most relaxing experiences I've ever tried. I really don't care about any multiplayer aspect, it's just a damn good game.

Moreche

If this was an early access game at £25 with an active dev and community realtionship and planned updates for the next five years promising all of the things that the finished game would contain then I'd be loving it.
But it's not, it's a £50 game released as a full finished game with lots of promised features and videos of Sean Murray interviews promising endless star systems, active ecosystems on planets, sand worms etc.
Watch the E3 14 and 15 and tell me this is the same game?

Walpurgis

Banned
If I have to read that it's a fucking team of 5-15 people again,I swear i'm gonna fucking blow up.

SIXTY

FUCKING

DOLLARS

For a game that looks and runs like an early access game and has the same god damn content repeated over and over and over.

If you go into the No Man's Sky photo thread you can literally see people posting the same kind of planet with the same plants and the sameish animals but in different colors (sometimes not even) and the same style over and over and over.

Everyone basically sees the same planets in a different order.

SIXTY

FUCKING

NO MAN'S

DOLLARS
I concur. That indie nonsense went out the window as soon as they charged the same amount as Uncharted 4 and The Witcher 3.

Walpurgis

Banned
It's as simple as this. If you feel wronged by all of this. Just don't buy the game. A lot of you have been arguing for days and for what?
Probably because most people here have already bought the game. No one knew that there was no multiplayer before the game was out (not even Sean if you trust his tweets).

Shinjica

This thread is really weird. Anyway, u absolutely adore this game so far. I usually have survival games - Don't Starve, Binding of Isaac, I hate them. But this game has its hooks in me, and is one of the most relaxing experiences I've ever tried. I really don't care about any multiplayer aspect, it's just a damn good game.

Well, this is a really easy survival game, you cant compare it with dont starve, the long dark etc

SomTervo

It seems like every page or every 5 posts the issue gets confused.

The issue isn't that NMS is a bad game.

The issue isn't that the developers dreamed too big and couldn't deliver on every aspect of their vision.

The issue isn't that Sean seems like a nice guy who's passionate about making games.

The issue isn't that NMS was never billed as a multiplayer game.

The issue isn't people trying to make a mountain out of a molehill.

The issue is simply that Sean, on multiple occasions suggested, said, and replied to questions to the effect that people could play together and meet each other and want to experience stuff together in the game. Since launch, it seems like this is not possible despite Sean saying, multiple times, that it is. And Sean has yet to clarify.

Personally, I would appreciate developers not lie to consumers. And if multiplayer or meeting other players is possible, all Sean has to do is say, "yes it's possible, keep playing and find out how." But even that hasn't happened.

mokeyjoe

I concur. That indie nonsense went out the window as soon as they charged the same amount as Uncharted 4 and The Witcher 3.

Really? Because I played UC4 for like 10 hours (it was fine) and so far sunk over 30 into NMS and I'm enjoying it more. UC4 was just rental worthy for me.

SomTervo

Every gen had this kind of crap. I grew up on Molyneuxs lies. Fable 1 and Black and White releases were brutal on my younger self.

I was there for those games too and honestly No Man's Sky does not compare. It delivered on 90% of the insane shit they said would be in the game, unlike Fable and B&W.

They lied about some of the missing 10% which is really bad but honestly the game is incredibly close to the vision they've been outlining for years. (And is great to play.)

Fat4all

Banned
I mean

I would've bought The Witness if it was $60, but that's because for me price doesn't come into play that often if i really want the shiny.

I'll probably get this when it drops a bit in price, i wasn't crazy on the hype train, but I do like survival spacey stuff.

mokeyjoe

I was there for those games too and honestly No Man's Sky does not compare. It delivered on 90% of the insane shit they said would be in the game, unlike Fable and B&W.

They lied about some of the missing 10% which is really bad but honestly the game is incredibly close to the vision they've been outlining for years. (And is great to play.)

I really liked Fable 2. But yeah, Black and White was disappointing, and NMS is certainly closer to what I expected than that game.

What if the multiplayer/meeting up with people aspect is something that unlocks or is part of an upgrade later in the game a la MGSV and FOBs. HG may be keeping quite about it so that people discover it? It's just a thought.

I have about 15 hours in it on PS4 and I have loved every minute of it. I had 2 crashes within the first 10 minutes but since then its been great.

I understand why people are hating on it, but I am getting everything I wanted from it. It would be nice to meet up with friends and trade etc but its not a deal breaker for me.

The PC issues are worrying though, hope they get that sorted. Planning to pick it up at some point.

Just my 10p

Happy Exploring

Kathian

Banned
If a kitchen is run by one guy and sells chicken for £15 and out comes a skinny red uncooked meat. You don't say "aww but it's only a small tram", gobble it down and leave a tip.

SomTervo

Haha, not at all.

At least they both have immense amounts of tedium and unfulfilled promises in common!

L O L
O
L

I guess Sean did promise in interviews that you'd get bored sometimes. Just was vague about that like so many other things.

Remember I said "most".

It has the huge universe. It has planets with real physical presence you can fly to (which has wowed me more than anything in Elite:D after many hours in it). It looks routinely like a 70s sci-fi book cover. The creatures and planets are often samey but out of the blue you get unbelievable variation which is exactly what they promised. It has gentle adventure and narrative progression. It has surprisingly compelling rpg systems (despite how simple they are).

Then you have the awesome bunch of things they DIDN'T promise to put in the game - loads of lore/backstory, mathematical puzzles, "choose your own adventure" dialogue, a whole side storyline they never mentioned, a really big tech tree. A lot of it is "lite" but is great to discover.

He lied about playing with friends and others. That is fucking bad. And also about the extent of the simulation of the galaxy - as it is it's perfect for the gameplay, but it's definitely not what they literally promised. But combined, having put 30 hours into the game (only had 30 boring minutes so far), I can safely say these missing aspects are less than 10% of the experience. They are tangential to the game as a whole.

Again, I'm not downplaying the falsities and heinous PR situation. They need to address it ASAP. But you are shitting on the game itself in it's entirety even though it's only minor aspects which are missing.

SomTervo

I really liked Fable 2. But yeah, Black and White was disappointing, and NMS is certainly closer to what I expected than that game.

I really like all the Fable games. They're great. But in comparison to the promises they are laughable. Moly is on another level from Murray and I think the comparison is ridiculous.

c0de

Here's some tech details, if anybody is interested:

Traffic goes via an Azure CloudApp (yes, they're hosting a Sony thing on Microsoft Azure).

Address: 40.84.59.174
Aliases: pc-nms-auth.nomanssky.com
prodpc-nmso-auth.azurewebsites.net
waws-prod-bn1-011.vip.azurewebsites.windows.net

(nomanssky.com was registered by Sean in 2013).,

Traffic is over SSL, if you want to intercept you need to MitM it using CA forgery.

They track all users who start the game (which isn't bad). Periodically they shoot your Discoveries up in the background in batch transfers. There's a profanity filter on naming, haha. I've seen no player movement traffic at all either from me or other players on either platform. Very very little traffic is passed, you can go long periods with nothing happening network wise.

Thanks for your packet analysis, interesting. And well, this says all. It's proven players can't meet.

SomTervo

Here's some tech details, if anybody is interested:

Traffic goes via an Azure CloudApp (yes, they're hosting a Sony thing on Microsoft Azure).

Address: 40.84.59.174
Aliases: pc-nms-auth.nomanssky.com
prodpc-nmso-auth.azurewebsites.net
waws-prod-bn1-011.vip.azurewebsites.windows.net

(nomanssky.com was registered by Sean in 2013).,

Traffic is over SSL, if you want to intercept you need to MitM it using CA forgery.

They track all users who start the game (which isn't bad). Periodically they shoot your Discoveries up in the background in batch transfers. There's a profanity filter on naming, haha. I've seen no player movement traffic at all either from me or other players on either platform. Very very little traffic is passed, you can go long periods with nothing happening network wise.

Good to see thanks - did the test include the phase of warping to a new system? People were theorising the game might not even try "matchmaking" until you're on the warp screen.

BaldusCattus

Neo Member
Thanks for your packet analysis, interesting. And well, this says all. It's proven players can't meet.
What it proves is the game made no attempt to communicate at the time it was tested. It doesn't indicate why. This entire 170-page circular argument is based on a conclusion jumped to without any actual evidence. It's fascinating.

The thing that broke the camel's back for me is the game ending. That's when I started thinking we should compile all the overpromises/outlandish tales the creators has stated for future reference.

Perhaps a dumb question, but does this game actually have an ending? How long does it take to reach it? The impression I'd got from all the discussion was that it basically went on until you got bored of it.

Inviusx

What it proves is the game made no attempt to communicate at the time it was tested. It doesn't indicate why. This entire 170-page circular argument is based on a conclusion jumped to without any actual evidence. It's fascinating.

The no MP argument ended awhile ago. The last 50 pages or so have just been for fun.

Yes they are. And so is No Man's Sky. It's better than Black and White for sure and it met most of its promises.

I don't even know what to make of this comment. Not even remotely close to even being in the same galaxy of genres, that aside. I highly doubt this game is better than Black and White.

gossi

Good to see thanks - did the test include the phase of warping to a new system? People were theorising the game might not even try "matchmaking" until you're on the warp screen.

They took a while to process my Steam refund so I tried warping with capture on PC too - yes, no data. You can press a button while on the solar system map to scan for discoveries, which contacts the above server and asks for a list for named solar systems with usernames, but that's all it does.

Also, and unrelated, a GAFfer made a cheat engine, which is cool for PC players, and shows how challenging multiplayer would have been.

I threw together some cheats which should make this more fun for some of you, especially screenshotters. Use the gameplay cheats with caution. Please add to the OP.

http://deadendthrills.com/share/NMS_deadendthrills_v01.zip

F1: Infinite Jetpack
F2: Kill All Helmet FX (including scanlines, frost and all vignettes)
F3: 999 All Resources In Inventory (locks to that figure)
F12: On Foot FOV

More to come...

nynt9

Keep fighting the good fight mate.

I am waiting for a price drop honestly. I love the space setting and when this was first announced I was really hyped for it but I fell for a lot of hype with The Division and the season pass...not doing that again. This game will be $30-40 in a few months anyway and with the GCU at Best Buy, I can pick it up dirt cheap.

This thread will go on to be a fascinating case study for rationalization and confirmation bias. The fascinating thing is to see people exercising them at full throttle, then turning around and accusing others of the same. I hope this thread never gets locked and goes on for as long as possible, this is top class entertainment. :)

Geist-

They took a while to process my Steam refund so I tried warping with capture on PC too - yes, no data. You can press a button while on the solar system map to scan for discoveries, which contacts the above server and asks for a list for named solar systems with usernames, but that's all it does.

Also, and unrelated, a GAFfer made a cheat engine, which is cool for PC players, and shows how challenging multiplayer would have been.
This might really help me enjoy it, thanks.

Tigress

I am pretty sure there is a direct quote from Sean Murray saying people "carry round lobbies" or something and they can handle a few people.

Someone will find it, I saw it posted earlier.

I dont think he would lie outright so assuming there are circumstances here.

This is pretty much my position as I heard him say the same exact thing. And I just don't see him outright lieing so I am betting circumstances. And if not, it's weird he outright lied on one thing when he's even pretty truthful (or at worst wrong about how varied the game's procedural generation is) on most other aspects of the game.

Anyways, even if it is not on here some people on this forum are letting their rage build far beyond the proportion that this is worth (I've seen people wish hello games go under because of this for example). It's one function of the game that wasn't even supposed to happen much. If this is what makes the game not worthy of playing, it probably didn't have much for you anyways.

gossi

By the way, there's at present no player model. You can move the camera by memory hacking; you're invisible. I mean, that's just how they designed it - it's not a 3rd person game - so this isn't a slam.

Re lobbies - I can't find any evidence of it in game, they don't even have any UDP calls. However it may be something they have on the roadmap for future - I don't know. Sometimes (often) in game development, features get cut.

Edit: by the way, since I mentioned the PC release last night, probably worth mentioning Sean has tweeted saying many of the Hello Games staff (inc him) are still in the office from since yesterday - it's 2pm here - trying to fix the PC release. I know people here hate it when I say it's a tiny indie studio, but it is a tiny indie studio.

nomis

This is a joke post right?

Can't wait for this years GAF awards when you nominate this for your multiplayer GOTY

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom