• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A polite discourse amongst friends on the importance of MP-elements in No Man's Sky

Status
Not open for further replies.
Recently posted, interesting stuff, time-stamp included. Would love to know if real.

image.png

0_0

Please be fake, please be fake...

El Topo

Bamboo 竹;213061734 said:
Although Hello Games is a indie and should receive critics to that standard, the fact of pricing NMS as a AAA makes no sense since the production doesn't compare to an AAA game.

Whether or not something deserves its price is subjective. I disagree with the notion that games should (per se) solely be priced according to budget or scope. Either NMS is worth the money to someone, or it is not.

flkraven

Because it's the middle of the goddamn night over there, and there's a pretty good chance that none of them have seen all this bitching yet. At least give HG the chance to respond before going off on these fucking tirades about how they lied to us all and should burn in hell. Seriously, are we on the verge of death threats again?

Wtf. He had 2 years to clear this up. I was asking questions about this last week.

What could this mean tho

You can though, it would require that: you instance together, find the same planet among quintillions. The odds of both happening are... low.

So why didnt he say that when asked.. Can you play with your friends?? Was he intentionally vague to so people imaginations would run wild?

diaspora

There aren't 18 quintillion worlds if they're not connected in any way.

... what? The number of planets isn't reliant on connectivity.

So why didnt he say that when asked.. Can you play with your friends?? Was he intentionally vague to so people imaginations would run wild?
No. If you want to play a first-person-shooter-sci-fi-run-around-on-a-planet game, play Destiny. It’s a really good game. Go play that. We're not trying to do that.

Like Journey multiplayer, that was a huge part of the game for me, but they did a good job in not describing it as a multiplayer game. Journey would have been really disappointing if you entered into it thinking it was a multiplayer game. It's not.
Meeting friends can work under these parameters, it's just really hard like he's already said.

Stuff like this makes me think that they realized very, very late in the development that something wasn't going to work or be powerful enough and made some drastic changes. It would have good for them to get out ahead of this and say something, it would have been good to stop delivering mixed messages and lay it out for everyone. I hope Sean makes a statement on this to calm people down.

I am still excited to play it, I don't do multiplayer in general so this doesn't affect me.

SpotAnime

I would just let the people speak their peace, let tempers fade and let Sean and Co defend themselves. It should be an easy question to clear up.

Agreed. Although disappointing that this chance encounter didn't live up to expectations, the fact that encounters are explicitly mentioned in the patch notes lead me to believe something's just not working as intended. If it's more nefarious than that, perhaps it's something Sony instructed them to stay mum about - maybe it's just coming in a future patch, or worse, DLC.

Perhaps Hello is just too busy wrapping the PC version and keeping tabs on the game behind the scenes to make a statement at this point. I wouldn't accuse them of lying though, until we, or even they, figure out what's going on. This is a big ship moment for the team, and it hasn't even been 24 hours since the game's release. They seem pretty genuine to want to work for our interests, as they've shown throughout this whole development. My money is on them that they'll make things right, or clarify the situation, soon enough.

jaaz

My point is that there is cause for concern but that when people make comments like yours in response, effectively engaging these posters in a negative manner whom you think are being unreasonable in the first place, you only add fuel to the fire instead of letting it die.

I would just let the people speak their peace, let tempers fade and let
Sean and Co defend themselves. It should be an easy question to clear up.

Your approach sounds like a "give them space to riot" approach, and I can't disagree more. Basic human decency, if it even exists anymore today, would give the game designer a chance to explain the issue--it could very well be a network problem or a bug--before flat-out calling him a liar.

Agreed. Although disappointing that this chance encounter didn't live up to expectations, the fact that encounters are explicitly mentioned in the patch notes lead me to believe something's just not working as intended. If it's more nefarious than that, perhaps it's something Sony instructed them to stay mum about - maybe it's just coming in a future patch, or worse, DLC.

Perhaps Hello is just too busy wrapping the PC version and keeping tabs on The game behind the scenes toake a statement at this point. I wouldn't accuse them of lying though, until we, or even they, figure out what's going on. This is a big ship moment for the team, and it hasn't even been 24 hours since the game's release. They seem pretty genuine to want to work for our interests, as they've shown throughout this whole development. My money is on them that they'll make things right, or clarify the situation, soon enough.
too busy for a statement? Come on dude.

DrkSage

Recently posted, interesting stuff, time-stamp included. Would love to know if real.

image.png

Yet they didn't bother covering the one that says "interacciones de red" you know... The one that games like battlefield have that says "2-66 network players"

¯_(ツ)_/¯🤷

Fisty

"Its statistically so improbable it might as well be impossible"

Takes gamers a day

But in seriousness, probably server issues or maybe they backtracked a bit because the feature wasnt finished. I bet we see it at some point, if they laid some groundwork... or its just day 1 in a popular game and the servers are boned as usual.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!

image.png
This is either really transparent trolling to get in on the current MP controversy or would lead to an even bigger controversy.. There's just no way that's real.

Your approach sounds like a "give them space to riot" approach, and I can't disagree more. Basic human decency, if it even exists anymore today, would give the game designer a chance to explain the issue--it could very well be a network problem or a bug--before flat-out calling him a liar.

Yeah, I was speaking to you specifically because of the tone of your post it didn't seem like you where capable atm of handling the situation in a way that wouldn't just put backs up against the wall even more instead of politely engaging and having a meaningful conversation that could change minds or alleviate the situation that you where supposedly so upset about in the first place.

You aren't the only one acting that way but I just didn't want to quote everyone. Sorry if it feels like I am singling you out man.

DataGhost

Doubt this is real. The amount of labor required to make this kind of cover up probably out costs what would it be to just print new sleeves.

Thing is that it may have been shipped already to the distributor and they had to ask them to tape it up.

I mean, it's highly possible they could have printed new sleeves but would the distributor actually take out sleeves and replace them when it's much easier to stick a sticker on them? Less labor

OCD Guy

I find it strange that on day one, two players crossed paths in a game with 18 quintillion worlds. Like, that's weirder to me than them not being able to see each other for whatever reason.

That's what I've been saying.

It's been mentioned many times how vast the galaxy is, and how unlikely it was for people to see the same planets.

Now it turns out it's not unlikely at all, and it might just be smoke and mirrors.

I know people have educated me on what procedural generation is, and that in theory two people with the same "seed" will have the exact same planets, but again I'd assume that there are millions of different "seeds" no??

Perhaps Hello is just too busy wrapping the PC version and keeping tabs on the game behind the scenes to make a statement at this point. I wouldn't accuse them of lying though, until we, or even they, figure out what's going on. This is a big ship moment for the team, and it hasn't even been 24 hours since the game's release. They seem pretty genuine to want to work for our interests, as they've shown throughout this whole development. My money is on them that they'll make things right, or clarify the situation, soon enough.

This all seems like a reasonable conclusion at the moment honestly.

OCD Guy

I doubt that this is real.

I think it is.

It would also work in their favor in my opinion, as technically at the point Sean was questioned No Man's Sky did actually have online components but last minute they decided for whatever reason, that it was not practical to implement.

I think the game cover is a positive thing, it shows he wasn't lying, or am I missing the point? The same way I have with the fact that two people have stumbled across the exact same planets when everyone before release was hyping up how the experience would be totally different with all the millions of different planets, and the chances of two people seeing the same planets was unlikely.

I don't really care if there is multiplayer at all, never thought about this any other way than it being a single player game, but after all Sean said, I hope this is just a case of server problems/different instances, whatever, because straight up lying would be... wrong. Let's see what he has to say, if he wants to bother replying to this situation.

I find it strange that on day one, two players crossed paths in a game with 18 quintillion worlds. Like, that's weirder to me than them not being able to see each other for whatever reason.

Everyone starts in the same galaxy, and a long ways from the center. Instead of rolling the dice on a 1 in 18 quintillion chance, all new players spawn in a "shell" surrounding the center of the galaxy. And maybe not all planets in that "shell" are valid starting locations due to being too hostile, too dead, etc. etc. Maybe there are only 100 million worlds that players can spawn at. And then you think, if 1 million people are playing the game right now, that means at most each of them are only 100 planets apart.

Something along those lines.

I think it is.

It would also work in their favour in my opinion, as technically at the point Sean was questioned No Man's Sky did actually have online components but last minute they decided for whatever reason, that it was not practical to implement.

Oh, I don't believe the game has multiplayer. But I also don't believe that that image is real.

Saganator

Thing is that it may have been shipped already to the distributor and they had to ask them to tape it up.

I mean, it's highly possible they could have printed new sleeves but would the distributor actually take out sleeves and replace them when it's much easier to stick a sticker on them? Less labor

So what happened? Publisher has some schmuck make a new tiny template with the online taken off, and sends an email (that hasn't leaked yet amazingly enough) to all the stores to have an employee secretly place them on?

Did they print thousands of stickers, which are probably more expensive due to adhesive? If so, why not print new sleeves?

C'mon just use logic, that is so fake it's not even funny.

DataGhost

So what happened? Publisher has some schmuck make a new tiny template with the online taken off, and sends an email (that hasn't leaked yet amazingly enough) to all the stores to have an employee secretly place them on?

Did they print thousands of stickers, which are probably more expensive due to adhesive? If so, why not print new sleeves?

C'mon just use logic, that is so fake it's not even funny.

That's true, but the evidence is rather damning convincing.

I guess it's a pretty good fake then

Fisty

Maybe they decided to go with the cover up instead so when they patch in multiplayer they just have to rip the sticker off lol

OCD Guy

Oh, I don't believe the game has multiplayer. But I also don't believe that that image is real.

It would go some way to explaining why Sean stated there was an online component in that sense. As opposed to the stance that he's intentionally deceived people.

Can't someone on Neogaf check their physical copy? Or is the chances of having a game sleeve with the sticker on as likely as it is someone finding the exact same planet as you lol

Zeshile

I don't care about the whole multiplayer thing, that's not why I got this game. However, just because 2 people happen to find each other, based off of their random starter systems that could have just happen to be close by, doesn't mean they lied about the number of planets. It means these people got lucky. So criticising that part of the game is pointless.

Gamezone

Gold Member
Can't blame people for being upset. Once two people found each other, it shouldn't have been that difficult to continue the journey together. I know a lot of people who wanted to try that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom