• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A polite discourse amongst friends on the importance of MP-elements in No Man's Sky

Status
Not open for further replies.

RefigeKru

Banned
Way to prove your own point.

I honestly don't give a shit about this game. It's interesting conceptually but not for me, though everything I've read here on GAF points toward the likelihood of actual multiplayer being a pipe dream, I've read of the size and instances preventing meet ups becoming possible so this current debacle doesn't really phase me.

That's got sweet fuck all to do with you being a Ubisoft shill though.

jett

D-Member
I think this is the most pathetic post in this embarrassing thread, and that's quite an achievement.

o5Mxc8P.gif

Ketch

My theory is that they've been so aloof about it in the past and so quiet about it now because they don't want to spill the beans. So when two people finally ever do see each other in the game it'll be actually amazing.

Like, I'm gonna assume they're pretty smart dudes, and maybe they figured that even despite the odds two people could coordinate to meet in the same place, but the multiplayer is set up like journey but stricter on purpose so it's like a once in a life time thing that can't be cheesed no matter what.

Or maybe they just lied on purpose the whole time because all they care about is money and they hate their fans.

You be the judge.

I don't care about the whole multiplayer thing, that's not why I got this game. However, just because 2 people happen to find each other, based off of their random starter systems that could have just happen to be close by, doesn't mean they lied about the number of planets. It means these people got lucky. So criticising that part of the game is pointless.
1 in quintillion, lucky.

depths20XX

These dudes have been going at it for hours now trying to see each other. Pretty much seems like seeing other people isn't really a feature they have implemented tbh.

If that package label is real, why would they remove the "Internet Connectivity" symbol from the PEGI eating, but not from the left side of the box where Sony lists the game features/requirements. If it is real, it wasprobably an oversight when creating labels to change the PEGI rating, rather than a malicious attempt to deceive fans.

OCD Guy

Who else has a boxed copy?

Exactly.

It isn't hard to find out if it's real.

I'm sure there's plenty of people with launch day copies on internet forums.

I'm surprised someone on Gaf hasn't already checked their copy and posted pictures. That original post is "old" now, and Gaf normally works pretty quickly.

Lo_Fi

That's what I've been saying.

It's been mentioned many times how vast the galaxy is, and how unlikely it was for people to see the same planets.

Now it turns out it's not unlikely at all, and it might just be smoke and mirrors.

I know people have educated me on what procedural generation is, and that in theory two people with the same "seed" will have the exact same planets, but again I'd assume that there are millions of different "seeds" no??

As far as I understand it, everyone is on the same seed. It's stamped onto the disc, unchanging. Throughout development I'm sure they could have hit the "generate new universe" button anytime they wanted. But basically for launch they hit "generate new universe" and left it at that and pressed that to the disc. That's the universe everyone gets. The naming stuff you've found being put online wouldn't make sense if everyone was in different universes.

My guess is that when someone gets to the center of the universe, it generates a new universe. But that's just my guess, since I don't think anyone has said what happens when you get to the center.

III-V

I don't care about the whole multiplayer thing, that's not why I got this game. However, just because 2 people happen to find each other, based off of their random starter systems that could have just happen to be close by, doesn't mean they lied about the number of planets. It means these people got lucky. So criticising that part of the game is pointless.

With 18,000,000,000,000,000,000 planets, it does imply that the starter systems are not random or possibly unique...

Thats not 'getting lucky', thats worse than if I hid a grain of sand someplace on the earth and you asked you to find it.

Rather than luck, there is some other mechanism at work to link up so quickly.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
I honestly don't give a shit about this game. It's interesting conceptually but not for me, though everything I've read here on GAF points toward the likelihood of actual multiplayer being a pipe dream, I've read of the size and instances preventing meet ups becoming possible so this current debacle doesn't really phase me.

That's got sweet fuck all to do with you being a Ubisoft shill though.
It seems you had no pertinent point but to come into the thread and imply how above it all you are, in which case, no one cares. Secondly, I find it baffling that you felt the need to inform people that you don't know what a shill is but you do you. ಠ_ಠ

Who worked on the "dynamic" theme?

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
I feel like at some point in development this was more of a planned feature but as they got closer and closer to release it had to get back logged, but the news and hype about "running into other people" had already gotten super wide spread so I think they were scared to kill the hype storm surrounding the game by out right saying "nah you can't see other people".

chris121580

Man, this thread is utterly pathetic. I miss the days when people played games because they were fun and not attacked the developer every chance they got because it's not everything they thought it would be. It's just mesmerizing how rude and disrespectful people can be. Grow up

Kssio_Aug

That's what I've been saying.

It's been mentioned many times how vast the galaxy is, and how unlikely it was for people to see the same planets.

Now it turns out it's not unlikely at all, and it might just be smoke and mirrors.

I know people have educated me on what procedural generation is, and that in theory two people with the same "seed" will have the exact same planets, but again I'd assume that there are millions of different "seeds" no??

That's what I think is the most intriguing fact about this news as well. I mean, Sean Murray himself, if I'm not mistaken, said it would be a very rare situation to find another player since it's a so immense universe in-game.

Now it barely released and we have 2 players meeting at the exactly same place in Twitch. It doesn't seems hard at all.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Can't blame people for being upset. Once two people found each other, it shouldn't have been that difficult to continue the journey together. I know a lot of people who wanted to try that.
The possibility of this is what made me wanna get this the most honestly. That moment in Journey was awesome so it would've been great to see it here.

Man, this thread is utterly pathetic. I miss the days when people played games because they were fun and not attacked the developer every chance they got because it's not everything they thought it would be. It's just mesmerizing how rude and disrespectful people can be. Grow up
A)To suggest that there was never any gaming controversies years before is some hardcore revisionist history B)This is an incredibly tired argument, no one is disrespecting the devs by asking questions about game features that were advertised and repeated verbatim by the developers. A confirmation that the feature was either A)On the CRF B)Coming in a later patch or C)Not working due to server issues would've avoided this entire controversy.

Gamezone

Gold Member

People payed $60. Can't they have an opinion?

Browse old usenet archives and you'll see anger and backlash were a thing even way back when.

Speely

Banned
With 18,000,000,000,000,000,000 planets, it does imply that the starter systems are not random or possibly unique...

Thats not 'getting lucky', thats worse than if I hid a grain of sand someplace on the earth and you asked you to find it.

Exactly. If players spawned randomly on planets far from the center of the universe, there is no way in hell that two would encounter the same planet on day one. It would be almost impossible in YEAR one, in fact.

Dr.Acula

Banned

It's like in SFII where people thought Shen Long was unlockable, and people were just discussing it.

Hello Games have clearly said, multiple times that two people in the same place can see each other. All people are doing is trying to figure out if this one feature is in the game or not.

Pulling a last minute switcharoo like that is disgraceful.

This is what happens when you put AAA dev expectations on an Indie Studio. They promise the world and deliver nothing.

flkraven

Yah man. I miss the days when a game had a list of features and when you played it delivered on those features.

Doomshine

Someone in the OT claims another player saw them. Well, technically I guess it's the other guy making the claim.

Someone found me in the game. I get a message on PSN from a complete stranger asking me if I'm on some randomly named planet. I'm like, "wait, okay, where? In the game?"

Then I get a screenshot of the other player's map screen and one of the planets is named "Ceti Alpha V" with the same number of planets and went on to describe the exact same place I started out. The first two systems we played in are identical, weird names and all.

OCD Guy

That's what I think is the most intriguing fact about this news as well. I mean, Sean Murray himself, if I'm not mistaken, said it would be a very rare situation to find another player since it's a so immense universe in-game.

Now it barely released and we have 2 players meeting at the exactly same place in Twitch. It doesn't seems hard at all.

Yeah "practically zero" chance of two players hitting the same planet they said.

Even Alex from Hello games on the playstation blog referenced it here http://blog.us.playstation.com/2015/08/03/35-amazing-things-about-no-mans-sky/

no_man_s_sky.png

Sande

The defense squad is the most embarrassing group here.

chris121580

It's like in SFII where people thought Shen Long was unlockable, and people were just discussing it.

Hello Games have clearly said, multiple times that two people in the same place can see each other. All people are doing is trying to figure out if this one feature is in the game or not.
By insulting the developers and making fun of Sean? Such a classy way of doing it. I understand people may be frustrated but there are better ways to go about things than hurling insults at the developer

AEREC

Except some people are being pretty volatile about it, that's the problem.

1 in quintillion, lucky.

With 18,000,000,000,000,000,000 planets, it does imply that the
starter systems are not random or possibly unique...

I just posted this last page:

Everyone starts in the same galaxy, and a long ways from the center. Instead of rolling the dice on a 1 in 18 quintillion chance, all new players spawn in a "shell" surrounding the center of the galaxy. And maybe not all planets in that "shell" are valid starting locations due to being too hostile, too dead, etc. etc. Maybe there are only 100 million worlds that players can spawn at. And then you think, if 1 million people are playing the game right now, that means at most each of them are only 100 planets apart.

Something along those lines.

We're talking about the surface area of a sphere as valid spawn locations, not the total volume of it. You can't start on any of the 18 quintillion, because a bunch of those are going to be right next to the center of the galaxy. And maybe you can't spawn on others because they're too hostile or weird or have terrain features they don't want you to see or access until much later.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom