• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A polite discourse amongst friends on the importance of MP-elements in No Man's Sky

Status
Not open for further replies.

Permanently A

and once again people will lash out at the developers for working within the limitations that game development provides them. instead of industry marketing that would never allow a studio to announce a canned feature for fear of this exact backlash.

marketing shoots itself in the foot yet again. and passes the blame onto the devs.

I still hold my previous opinion that i feel sorry for the devs.

You feel sorry for the devs that one of the features they said would be in the game isn't in the game? And then they could have solved the problem easily by addressing it straight up on Twitter but didn't?

I watched them try later after all of this and neither of them could get a consistent connection at the same time.

One of them eventually jumped to a new system and didn't have fuel to get back so I stopped watching.

I've been saying since page one the outcry over all this is unjustified considering the test subjects.

It's not their fault for trying, but it's simply not definitive.
This should be tried agaib, but with people who live in the same county and started their game on release day at the same time.

The different time of day for the planet clearly shows they aren't in the same instance (server within a server).

hodgy100

Well, in this case it's the main dev himself who stoked the flames that misled people en masse. So yeah....

You feel sorry for the devs that one of the features they said would be in the game isn't in the game? And then they could have solved the problem easily by addressing it straight up on Twitter but didn't?

Even lead designers are beholden to producers, studio leads and then advertising and publishers / investors above that. all of these will have a finger in that pie and what they want public perception of the game to be. he would not have been allowed to say whether a feature has been removed from the game or not.

ridiculous isn't it.

look. I'm not trying to justify the situation, i'm just trying to provide context and an explanation to show how these situations occur.

How old is that interview?

Watch this https://youtu.be/1ORFgfhj_hM go the the 2.40 mark. He clearly states that there's no realtime multiplayer. All the other interviews I saw have the same messaging. People wanted to believe realtime multiplayer was in and it was too good publicity for sony to contradict that.
Sean Murray said:
But actually going to a planet and another player being in the same space at the same time is incredibly rare, and it's something that depending on the number of people playing the game might not even happen, basically. But if it does, we want people to have a sense of that. But it's not a game about going and playing a deathmatch and having a big battle with each other. But a little bit like Journey or Dark Souls, we want players to have a sense that there are other people playing the game at the same time.
He really seems to struggle with literally just saying, "no, you can't play with other people. You can name planets and creatures, that's the only multiplayer aspect of the game." Did he play Journey? Journey was playing with other people. Dark Souls I can see the connection to because of the notes you can leave for other people, but the Journey connection doesn't make sense.

Though he does blatantly answer "So you are saying that if my friend travels to the same place I am at, we could play together for awhile? with a "no".

Too bad he only decided to tell the truth in a single obscure interview and still can't tell the truth on Twitter.

NJDEN

It seems Hello Games is being dishonest under the guise of being mysterious. All this shrouding of No Man's Sky's features made the few features they did reveal as what everyone had to look forward to, because that's all they could look forward to with certainty. Now it seems Hello Games was not able to implement one of the few confirmed features in time for release. If that's the case, the professional option would have been to inform the consumers and the press of this development as far from release and as definitively as possible. Instead, it seems they decided to keep being evasive, because being evasive worked so well to drum up interest before, so why not now, right? Well, it's not working so well this time, because Hello Games said several times that some form of multiplayer would be in the game. Not only that, they let those statements be the word for years, until literally less than a few days ago. That means that Hello Games has crossed the threshold from being evasive, to being deceitful. That's not something I personally can handwave.

Yeah, that's how I feel about it. The best thing for them is to release an official statement with a definitive yes or no answer and as to whether or not it can be expected at a later date in a patch.

Jimrpg

From Reddit:

From a neogaf poster:
"I packet captured my PS4. When the servers are online, no player movement data is sent to servers, either in space or planet side. It simply doesn't transmit where you are, or any world sharing information. It does transmit your Discovers, and a diary of planets you have visited. I imagine that is for the Easter eggs. Also, if you press 'OPTIONS' it pauses the entire game world, including AI (watch creatures and ships stop) and time. Planets stop moving and time stops passing when in OPTIONS. This is not a multiplayer game."

Backlogger

What if the PC version has more online capabilities and they just aren't allowed to discuss because of the Sony Marketing agreement

Or in the same vein what if due to performance issues on the PS4 they had to remove some multiplayer functionally nearly last minute

charsace

Oh wow, we must have been following completely different games then. Tell me more about this mythical co-op version of NMS, please.

Completely the wrong thread for that. I'd wager that most of the outrage in here comes from people that weren't really keen on NMS in the first place. And they certainly haven't been playing the damn game, considering they've been spending all their time getting furious and feisty on GAF.
Where did I say coop? They have been saying that it is possible to run into people and there is a game play video made by them that hints at multi.

There would be no issue if someone would clarify whether or not there is multi.

darklin0

Banned
Sounds like the dev were hoping no one ever met each other. Murphy's Law strikes again.
gjn81wvxqsq6yzcwubok.png

Bedlam

"A little bit" is his response to "Can you grief other players".

My point is: anyone expecting this game to have a multiplayer was not paying attention to anything besides 3 second vague clips of Sean giving one word answers to multiplayer questions. It's not a multiplayer-based game, and that was pretty obvious from anyone watching impressions or reading about the game.

And who knows, maybe there is multiplayer in some limited form that simply isn't working properly yet?
His answer is not only weird, he looks always visibly uncomfortably when answering questions about the MP. My guess: he knew there would be no real-time MP and he was pulling that stuff out of his ass.

Cocaloch

So you never had any interest in this game to begin with? He has said over and over and over that the chances of it even happening once are EXTREMELY SLIM. Troll harder.

The thing with this statement that no one is ever calling Sean out on is that the chance goes up a lot if people aren't randomly picking planets. Like say if two people are, you know, trying to find each other.

I don't care that much since I took the vagueness as meaning it wasn't in, but I also don't think leading people on about it was a good look.

When the servers are up (and you can tell even in game as it tells you in the options menu) absolutely 0 packets are sent when you fly or walk around. It's going to be easier for more people to do packet capture of PC so expect more people to notice, but if you have a PS4 plug it into a box running Wireshark and start dumping the data. There's no netcode for 'pal around with friends'.

Fuck

This should be tried agaib, but with people who live in the same county and started their game on release day at the same time.

The different time of day for the planet clearly shows they aren't in the same instance (server within a server).

I would like to see more people try for sure.

My best guess at this point is that you see echoes/apparitions of other people (probably real time, like Journey) and can't interact with them.

I would love to know for sure and I would love for real players to be the ones who reveal it/discover, if it's there.

The sticker stuff is more concerning than the two guys trying IMO.

213372bu

Banned
Again, let's wait until we have some definitive proof until we start throwing around the word liar.

But like theoretically, if it isn't in the game, there should be no reason why people shouldn't be mad.

Sean's claims about the streamers, dodgy-ness as of late, and constant need to say how emotionally unstable he is over this game reeks of the cycle that games like Spore and the Fable series went through.

So far there is enough stuff to raise ears.
--
And if a feature isn't in the game due to constraints, there is no excuse for why he would make such a claim all the way from years ago until now.

OuterLimits

Why do you feel the impulse to defend him? Because he's a dev?

He has literally been saying for years that a form of multiplayer was in the game.

If it isn't in the game it's a lie, clear and cut.

Exactly. I have the game and really don't care if it's single player or not. However, I recall the interviews where he said the only way to know what you look like is by seeing another player, or how seeing another would be very rare but a bit more likely closer to the center.

Never thought it would be a true multiplayer, but always thought perhaps seeing another player was at least possible.

What if the PC version has more online capabilities and they just aren't allowed to discuss because of the Sony Marketing agreement

Or in the same vein what if due to performance issues on the PS4 they had to remove some multiplayer functionally nearly last minute

I have a feeling the PC version will be a disaster. I hope I am wrong.

ObiDin

How old is that interview?

Watch this https://youtu.be/1ORFgfhj_hM go the the 2.40 mark. He clearly states that there's no realtime multiplayer. All the other interviews I saw have the same messaging. People wanted to believe realtime multiplayer was in and it was too good publicity for sony to contradict that.

Lol, this thread is amazing. Go to the 3:56 mark, where he specifically answers "No" to the question "So if my friend travels to the same place I am at, we could play together for a while?".

Bedlam

Even lead designers are beholden to producers, studio leads and then advertising and publishers / investors above that. all of these will have a finger in that pie and what they want public perception of the game to be. he would not have been allowed to say whether a feature has been removed from the game or not.

ridiculous isn't it.

look. I'm not trying to justify the situation, i'm just trying to provide context and an explanation.
Now he is dancing around the questions and spouts intentional misinformation on twitter. That's just despicable and he didn't need to do that even when he wasn't allowed to talk about cut features. A big part of the blame in this case lays on him. Period.

ISee

We'll have better FPS, two FOV sliders and hopefully better LOD. That's all.

Cocaloch

Which is what they've said since the start. There is multiplayer in that players can pass like ships in the night and subtly influence the game world for others.

Where did they say that? He just keep saying it was very unlikely that players would meet.

Klyka

Banned
I still love how "the chance of two players meeting is SO SLIM it might never happen" and it happens literally half way through day 1.

phanboy4

The amount of hot air expended on this feature not being in the game is insane considering how completely, stunningly inconsequential it would be when you're actually playing the game.

I don't get it. Do people not have lives?

hodgy100

Now he is dancing around the questions and spouts intentional misinformation on twitter. That's just despicable and he didn't need to do that even when he wasn't allowed to talk about cut features. A big part of the blame in this case lays on him. Period.

This is what happens when being the face of your personal dream project that you have invested your life into creating yet not being able to say what you want. he wants to engage with people to see how they interact with his game but he is still gagged on certain topics. this is why he has to dance around questions.

Tagyhag

"seem to indicate" continues to be the biggest problem

It's crazy that we have a 60+ page thread arguing about whether this is possible or not, we should KNOW whether it is

If this isn't officially answered by today, then something shady as hell is going on.

Cocaloch

The amount of hot air expended on this feature not being in the game is insane considering how completely inconsequential it would be when you're actually playing the game.

People don't like feeling misled, and I think you don't understand how much people like multiplayer.

Bedlam

This is what happens when being the face of your personal dream project that you have invested your life into creating yet not being able to say what you want. he wants to engage with people to see how they interact with his game but he is still gagged on certain topics. this is why he has to dance around questions.
The point is: he went the extra mile and was actively deceitful with his tweets (and interviews). This is different than not being allowed to speak about certain topics.

This is exactly what they (HG) hoped to achieve with their strategy of non-answers and being obtuse. The big media outlets fall for it and tell their hordes of viewers "there is still a chance..."!

Pop

Lol, this thread is amazing. Go to the 3:56 mark, where he specifically answers "No" to the question "So if my friend travels to the same place I am at, we could play together for a while?".

I thought the notorious GAF forum knew things change in development stages. People will just ignore the video though. It's already happening.

Exactly. I have the game and really don't care if it's single player or not. However, I recall the interviews where he said the only way to know what you look like is by seeing another player, or how seeing another would be very rare but a bit more likely closer to the center.

Never thought it would be a true multiplayer, but always thought perhaps seeing another player was at least possible.

If it's true and they have nothing to fear, why should they cover that PEGI sticker? What's the purpose of that?

http://youtu.be/ZqeN6hj4dZU

In the Colbert interview (skip to 5:40), arguably the most high profile interview this game has ever gotten, which happened about 10 months ago (not years and years ago), Sean clearly and directly addresses both:
1-being able to see other players (yes);
2-can you run into other players in the game (yes);

This is huge marketing/awe-inspiring carrot to dangle in front of a huge audience, many of whom won't follow a game's developer's twitter account in the lead-up of a release.

If it turns out it's not true, that's a bad look for sure. Those that are saying you shouldn't buy a game based on an unlikely scenario are missing the point that many were buying into this game based on awe-inspiring possibilities and discovery. That's a big one that'd keep players LOOKING.

If it turns out it IS true and possible, it's an amazingly cool thing that two people found each other day 1 against such incredible odds. Shame if tech problems are the reason a rare meeting wasn't actually had.

But yeah, the silence on answering a direct question is deafening and I can't help but assume Sony is keeping the tape over Sean's mouth until reviews on PS4 and PC start rolling out first.

DryvBy

As big of a fan of this game, there's a few things that are very disappointing and I was on media blackout except for E3. From the few things I read about it, people believed you could meet up.

I don't even know if the other cool thing I believed is real anymore: if I land on someone else's planet, is everything named by the first person and can I see that? If not, then that's a major bummer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom