• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A polite discourse amongst friends on the importance of MP-elements in No Man's Sky

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nugg

"It's just PEGI stuff"

Sticker is on = No online symbol

Sticker is off = Online symbol

787.gif

Nope. With stickers on: there's still a "online functionalities" symbol, in blue, where the usual playstation stuff are, where HDD and resolution stuff are. Also, "One player". Not covered.

Zyae

I feel like this thread is the ultimate form of a "big deal out of nothing".

Without any solid base to stand on even.

This is not a multiplayer game. Never was. It doesn't even play 1% into why one should buy or play it. Seeing other players one day would be neat, I'll just expect it to never happen and possibly be surprised one day.

Sean said that "you can play with your friends" and that other players can see what you look like. So they lied.

They have been implying for years now that this would have multi. That was a huge selling point for me and I don't doubt that it was for many others as well.

Oh wow, we must have been following completely different games then. Tell me more about this mythical co-op version of NMS, please.

Is this game actually any good?

I just seems now like a lot of hype with not much return.

Completely the wrong thread for that. I'd wager that most of the outrage in here comes from people that weren't really keen on NMS in the first place. And they certainly haven't been playing the damn game, considering they've been spending all their time getting furious and feisty on GAF.

Permanently A

lrGeV36.png

What the fuck kind of response is this? How hard is it to say "yes you can see each other, no it isn't working right now."

With this total non response and the stickers covering up the online label, its getting harder to give Sean the benefit of doubt.

Ok guys, since the whole two streamer thing seems to be something people use to argue for and against multi, let me clarify things:

The first stream:

1. I was there, in the streamer chat, of the first stream when they initially made contact with each other.

2. They both entered the same space station in the same system at the same time. They could not see each other's ships.

3. We figured that the space station must be a single player instance.

4. They decided to meet up on the planet instead but were unsure how to find the same spot.

5. One streamer renamed an outpost he had discovered to "booty booty" but the other couldn't find it.

6. They went back to the space station. Me and many others told them to fly in a straight line out of the space station since it was pointing right at the planet. They did so and as they entered atmosphere, came across an outpost that both of them could see.

7. They both landed at the outpost, which looked exactly the same, had the same name and the same NPC in it for both of them.

8. We then realized that for one of them it was day and for the other it was night.

9. We tried relogging them a couple times to sync up but it didn't work.

10. We then found out one of them hat a "strict NAT" or "NAT type 3" on PS4, which we figured would be a deal breaker anyway.

At this point, the first stream basically ended and I left.

The second stream started earlier today. I was not quite as involved in this one but I did see some of it:

1. They both managed to get their NAT type switched to "NAT type 2" on PS4, which is moderate.

2. One of them was "online" and connected to the No Man's Sky servers according to the menu, the other one was not.

3. One of them had PS+. the other did not, so he got himself a month.

4. They could not see each other and their time of day was again not syncd up.

I then left the stream to go to work.

Later I read that they eventually were both connected to the No Man's Sky servers, but again after relogging could not see each other at all.
I can not confirm whether this is true or not.

I hope this clarifies some things!!

I watched them try later after all of this and neither of them could get a consistent connection at the same time.

One of them eventually jumped to a new system and didn't have fuel to get back so I stopped watching.

I've been saying since page one the outcry over all this is unjustified considering the test subjects.

It's not their fault for trying, but it's simply not definitive.

No, they really haven't. They've actually explained that the multi would be very limited AT BEST. So no, I'm not buying that at all. Sorry.
With all the interviews available to watch from the initial reveal in which the Sean says the game will allow you to see other players, you'd think we'd be at a point where people are no longer defending the possibility that this is a lie.

There's literally footage of Sean saying you can grief players. How is that limited AT BEST?

Oh wow, we must have been following completely different games then. Tell me more about this mythical co-op version of NMS, please.

Completely the wrong thread for that. I'd wager that most of the outrage in here comes from people that weren't really keen on NMS in the first place. And they certainly haven't been playing the damn game, considering they've been spending all their time getting furious and feisty on GAF.
Well gee, I'd sure like to play the game. Tell me more about this mythical PC version of NMS, please.

My main focus in the game - in a game intentionally designed to be open ended - was to do everything I could to meet my friend somewhere and then fly around together.

I have the LE sitting next to my desk. I didn't jump onto the hype train until a few weeks ago, so my research and understanding was based on info gathering less than a month ago.

I'm definitely disappointed.
But according to him and several other people in this thread, you don't exist.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
No, they really haven't. They've actually explained that the multi would be very limited AT BEST. So no, I'm not buying that at all. Sorry.

My main focus in the game - in a game intentionally designed to be open ended - was to do everything I could to meet my friend somewhere and then fly around together.

I have the LE sitting next to my desk. I didn't jump onto the hype train until a few weeks ago, so my research and understanding was based on info gathering less than a month ago.

I'm definitely disappointed.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
and once again people will lash out at the developers for working within the limitations that game development provides them. instead of industry marketing that would never allow a studio to announce a canned feature for fear of this exact backlash.

marketing shoots itself in the foot yet again.

Come on, Sean is the one who gave all the interviews. Sean is the one who posts on Twitter. Maybe some PR guy stepping in much earlier would have avoided this messed up communication about what's in the game and what's not.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member

The game is fantastic but quite niche, not for everyone. Lots of people digging it, including myself.

Agreed with this. Same here. I was engrossed for 6 hours before I realized it was 2am and had to get to bed. (And I did not even leave the starting planet yet, lol)

Been a long time since I have been like this with a game.

Bytes

Apparently, no amount of evidence is sufficient for certain people to admit that Sean was being dishonest about the multiplayer functionality. It's okay folks, that doesn't mean No Man's Sky is a bad game - there's no reason to go all Baghdad Bob over this.

SomTervo

It's excellent IMO.

And people who say 'it's just flying around exploring' are being a little disingenuous - there's a handcrafted story here and many moments of hand-crafted content, story
decisions
, etc. It's really good and has a lot of depth. I'm 15-20 hours in and feel like I haven't really scratched the surface yet.

ant_

not characteristic of ants at all
So the very, very, very rare chance of meeting another player online in the universe, was a huge selling point for you?

Really?

You should do better research before buying games.
I did plenty of research on this game as well. This was a big selling point for me as well. I didn't even have to meet or see anyone. But knowing that it may happen would keep me intrigued and hopeful that it would happen to me.

No need for the snide comments implying that someone is uninformed.

heyf00L

Doing online multiplayer isn't a trivial thing. It takes not only a lot of effort to code, but a ton of infrastructure to support.

It continues to amuse me that the people defending this situation can't agree on whether it is a single player game, or multi with technical problems.

nynt9

and once again people will lash out at the developers for working within the limitations that game development provides them. instead of industry marketing that would never allow a studio to announce a canned feature for fear of this exact backlash.

marketing shoots itself in the foot yet again. and passes the blame onto the devs.

I still hold my previous opinion that i feel sorry for the devs.

The lead developer himself was doing all the marketing for this game. He has done several interviews where he was directly asked about multiplayer and he said it was a part of the game.

213372bu

Banned
lrGeV36.png

What the fuck kind of response is this? How hard is it to say "yes you can see each other, no it isn't working right now."

With this total non response and the stickers covering up the online label, its getting harder to give Sean the benefit of doubt.

I don't understand why he would tweet that if he knew that multi wasn't/isn't going to be in the game and the streamers themselves said they couldn't see each other.

I find it hard to believe that he isn't consciously pulling this out of his ass.

OuterLimits

Pretty much my take on it too.

I just don't get why they're not upfront about it. They wouldn't be the first ones to have major features patched in.

Except, of course, they don't plan on doing so ever.

The cynical side of me thinks it's because the PC game isn't out yet and also many reviews are still in progress.

The nicer side of me is thinking it's perhaps in the game but server issues are causing problems and he will shortly clear up the confusion.

But yeah, you would think he could easily clarify whether it's part of the game right now.

Uiki

lrGeV36.png

It's pretty clear what kind of response this is.

If they had multiplayer to show it will be shouted everywhere as a major feature.

It's not in (been cut? adding later? don't know, don't care, that's not the point here) and they keep things vague like they did for years because it's convenient for the sales.

I feel like this thread is the ultimate form of a "big deal out of nothing".

Without any solid base to stand on even.

This is not a multiplayer game. Never was. It doesn't even play 1% into why one should buy or play it. Seeing other players one day would be neat, I'll just expect it to never happen and possibly be surprised one day.

"Big deal out of nothing", huh?

I guess you missed the last 61 pages then, lol...

AAEAAQAAAAAAAAhFAAAAJGJmNWQ2OGU1LTI0OTUtNGFlZC04MmJjLWIyNGFmNDMzYTZjYg.jpg

It is pretty hilarious the amount of clips and interviews that have been posted in this thread that prove otherwise...

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
So the very, very, very rare chance of meeting another player online in the universe, was a huge selling point for you?

Really?

Yes, it's the drive to try.

Sounds like most people will never reach the center of the universe, either; but that's sold as the main goal.

Najaf

Really?

This is the kind of bullshit response that gets me fuming. Looking forward to against all odds track down a friend in such a massive world and then explore together sounds cool to me. Running into another player who is a stranger in such a massive world would be equally amazing. If the game proves ultimately that this is not possible even though repeatedly the devs implied or stated it was, would be a major let down. People just holding up shields and telling people they are stupid for looking forward to something that was implied to be in a game is absurd.

hodgy100

Come on, Sean is the one who gave all the interviews. Sean is the one who posts on Twitter. Maybe some PR guy stepping in much earlier would have avoided this messed up communication about what's in the game and what's not.

yeah you are right. Sean was likely the wrong person to push into the public like he was. but yet again that's down to marketing, they probably wanted him up there because he was so enthusiastic about the game. but designers have a habit of being dreamers, but there is a constant back and forth in game development between what the designers want, and what is technically feasible and what they can afford to make with the time / budget they have. its likely they intended or the game did have online multiplayer at one point, but for whatever reason the game has shipped without it. but there's no way a marketing team would let them announce such a thing.

With all the interviews available to watch from the initial reveal in which the Sean says the game will allow you to see other players, you'd think we'd be at a point where people are no longer defending the possibility that this is a lie.

There's literally footage of Sean saying you can grief players. How is that limited AT BEST?

"A little bit" is his response to "Can you grief other players".

My point is: anyone expecting this game to have a multiplayer was not paying attention to anything besides 3 second vague clips of Sean giving one word answers to multiplayer questions. It's not a multiplayer-based game, and that was pretty obvious from anyone watching impressions or reading about the game.

And who knows, maybe there is multiplayer in some limited form that simply isn't working properly yet?

jwk94

It's excellent IMO.

And people who say 'it's just flying around exploring' are being a little disingenuous - there's a handcrafted story here and many moments of hand-crafted content, story
decisions
, etc. It's really good and has a lot of depth. I'm 15-20 hours in and feel like I haven't really scratched the surface yet.
Story? What? I'm three planets and 3 hours into the game and have yet to see any story.

Z3M0G

I'm sure this was posted 20 pages ago but I find it hilarious in perspective:

1470781537628.jpg
This, and they removed the "On-line (optional)" from the PSN Store description some time between July 27 and yesterday...

Can anyone confirm what it says on Steam? And what it said before?

Jimrpg

lrGeV36.png

The response is basically - OMG two players standing in the same location in Skyrim = multiplayer.

213372bu

Banned
"A little bit" is his response to "Can you grief other players".

My point is: anyone expecting this game to have a multiplayer was not paying attention to anything besides 3 second vague clips of Sean giving one word answers to multiplayer questions. It's not a multiplayer-based game, and that was pretty obvious from anyone watching impressions or reading about the game.

And who knows, maybe there is multiplayer in some limited form that simply isn't working properly yet?
Why do you feel the impulse to defend him? Because he's a dev?

He has literally been saying for years that a form of multiplayer was in the game.

If it isn't in the game it's a lie, clear and cut.

Nugg

What I mean, because I feel I'm not clear:

8PJ53fH.jpg

The stickers only cover PEGI stuff. The functionalities are NOT covered. And Online is there. Also, Single player.

Bedlam

marketing shoots itself in the foot yet again. and passes the blame onto the devs.

I still hold my previous opinion that i feel sorry for the devs.
Well, in this case it's the main dev himself who stoked the flames that misled people en masse. So yeah....

Tunavi

Banned
Why would I explore an infinite universe to never meet anyone ever? Especially when they dangled that carrot for years

Not picking this up

Ivan 3414

Welp, that confirms what I suspected - Sean's "clarification" that this is a single player game mere hours before release combined with the sticker debacle is pretty much proof that multiplayer was cut at the last minute and they are being dishonest about it.

I bet they suspected they could get it patched in quietly before anyone actually found each other.

It seems Hello Games is being dishonest under the guise of being mysterious. All this shrouding of No Man's Sky's features made the few features they did reveal as what everyone had to look forward to, because that's all they could look forward to with certainty. Now it seems Hello Games was not able to implement one of the few confirmed features in time for release. If that's the case, the professional option would have been to inform the consumers and the press of this development as far from release and as definitively as possible. Instead, it seems they decided to keep being evasive, because being evasive worked so well to drum up interest before, so why not now, right? Well, it's not working so well this time, because Hello Games said several times that some form of multiplayer would be in the game. Not only that, they let those statements be the word for years, until literally less than a few days ago. That means that Hello Games has crossed the threshold from being evasive, to being deceitful. That's not something I personally can handwave.

Why do you feel the impulse to defend him? Because he's a dev?

He has literally been saying for years that a form of multiplayer was in the game.

If it isn't in the game it's a lie, clear and cut.

Again, let's wait until we have some definitive proof until we start throwing around the word liar.

adversarial

It's interesting to see this from an outside perspective as someone who has no love or, conversely, vitriol for NMS. Any other company would get destroyed on the internet if they were as vague in explaining something about their game.

Adry9

8PJ53fH.jpg

The stickers only cover PEGI stuff. The functionalities are NOT covered. And Online is there. Also, Single player.

Online functionalities can be planet naming, but it doesn't necessarily mean online play like the sticker above.

Irminsul

8PJ53fH.jpg

Yes, but the definition of both "online" lables are different.

The PlayStation one just means "there's some form of online functionality".

The PEGI one means the game can be played online, i.e., there is some kind of multiplayer.

Raven77

Why would I explore an infinite universe to never meet anyone ever? Especially when they dangled that carrot for years

Not picking this up

So you never had any interest in this game to begin with? He has said over and over and over that the chances of it even happening once are EXTREMELY SLIM. Troll harder.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom