• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Abyss Odyssey |OT| A Warlock's Nightmare From Which I Am Trying To Awake

TSM

So basically it seems like this game was early access without being called early access:

http://steamcommunity.com/app/255070/discussions/0/43099721309654079/

ACE abordeu said:
Pretty much agree with what you are saying. We're aware that the "attention span" of players is much shorter now that there are so many game releases. And if we could produce content faster we'd definitely release updates more frequently. Still, in our experience, the current user base of the game is only a fraction of what it can be tomorrow. We're confident that we will convert more people in the future, and as the game expands it will be more likely that people will stick for longer.

Additionally, we don't really expect to "monopolize" all the time people are investing in playing their games. The idea is that you can come back and revisit every now and then and check out what's happened in the abyss. The future developments of the versus mode should also give more reasons to want to play again. When we develop the online mode for this game hopefully we'll be able to develop some level of competitive scene. We're not aiming for a gigantic community like Street Fighter or Smash, but people are still playing smaller titles like Dive Kick and they seem to enjoy it quite a bit. If we can keep supporting the game's different modes I don't see why we can't accomplish something similar.

Also they intended to throttle the breaking of the first mask:

ACE cbordeu said:
The very quick shattering of the mask at the beginning is quite in line with the expected behavior for a launch, where the great majority of the people play the game upon release and then you have a much slower and steady pace from then on (In the first two days the Warlock was being defeated every 5 seconds). We understand that the slowing down was aggravated by the patch 1.01 problem, so that's why we will be adjusting the progression next week to make sure you can all see the new stuff soon. But just as a note, our projections before launch were that the mask would break between 2 weeks and a month - and that was our intended pace for the feature.

Since we want the mask phases to be more interesting, we're also taking this time to add more additional content than the one that is already locked in the game. This feature will allow us to add a lot more variety to the Abyss over time, making it a more complete game than what you got at launch.

So the mask phases weren't intended as a community goal as much as a way to throttle the players expectations for additional content. AKA busy work.

This combined with nearly the entire studio going on vacation at the launch of their game is rather disheartening. Online coop is basically totally broken with people falling through the stage and busted net code. They are expecting to give us news soon on when we can expect a patch to address major outstanding launch issues.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
They do have content ready for the first few mask breakages. I'm not too upset by things not going as well as expected, ACE Team is pretty creative and extremely receptive to fan feedback.

Ozium

Patch 1.02 is out!

Fixes / changes include:

Attacks that output strong impact vfxs do high damage to shields.
Tweaked all character shield values.
Updated grab vfx and sfx.
Tweaked difficulty chance assigned to levels.
Slightly increased AI level of most NPCs.
Captured enemies have 70% of their health when used by players.
Projectiles that move in arcs don't collide with jump through platforms during their rise.
Fixed blue fireball collisions.
Fixed XP displaying incorrectly for players using XP rings.
Health orbs give slightly less health.

Note: The bulk of this update addresses additional content for the next mask phase (not described in the change list).

Also the mask has been broken so more content has been unlocked in the Abyss such as new enemy types

Silaerion

Neo Member
Patch 1.02 is out!

Also the mask has been broken so more content has been unlocked in the Abyss such as new enemy types

Apparently its being labeled patch v1.03 despite v1.02 never actually releasing. I can't say I'm fond of how that scheduled plan for a patch last week just dematerialized, but what's done is done.

In any event, I'll be giving the new content a look over in a bit. Hopefully the changes and additions are enough to breath new life into this game and ease the concerns of people like me and those who decided to ditch it altogether.

Ozium

Oh yeah that was a typo it's v1.03 There was a v1.02 patch IIRC it just wasn't anything major.

edit: Nito just mention to me that one of the new enemies was pretty challenging, and he's at level 70.

Silaerion

Neo Member
Oh yeah that was a typo it's v1.03 There was a v1.02 patch IIRC it just wasn't anything major.

edit: Nito just mention to me that one of the new enemies was pretty challenging, and he's at level 70.

Nope, it was never released unless the leaderboard fix was considered patch v1.02.

Anyhow, I finished up experiencing the new content and I'm kinda torn regarding my judgement on it. On one hand, the added difficulty to just about everything and especially the Warlock fight is refreshing. On the other though... well, there's just not much added at all. There are only four new enemies, and all of them are fairly underwhelming except for the one accompanying the Warlock. There's also no new locales or assets besides a shrine of sorts that spawns the Tirana Demon.

I'm hoping that extra content mentioned by ACE Team hasn't already been implemented... because if so, it's already looking grim for this particular phase.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Some really cool new enemies, Skeleton Warrior is so fucking fast, it feels amazing.

The devs should implement a turbo mode or something, that speed was really fun.

Edit: Forgot to mention this, but is anyone elses framerate better since this patch? My framerate is pretty much a locked 60 now :eek:

Teppic

Finished the game. I don't think I ever got better at the game, just that leveling up and getting the right equipment was the key that made me go through it. I tried to be tactical in my fighting style, but forward and button mashing attack was often the best strategy. Also drop all equipment and die near an altar to get full health back. Strategy for the warlock was Link's spin attack.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
The second seal broke already. :O I guess that ends all speculation on whether they are throttling the damage or not.

Edit: Nevermind, got a 300mB patch though, most likely content for when the next seal breaks.

Silaerion

Neo Member
Patch v1.04 is out!

http://steamcommunity.com/app/255070/discussions/0/35219681559895875/

Fixes / changes include:

• Fixed erroneous string for 'hulk warlock' character.
• Tweaked most stronger sword damages so they're more even.
• Re-calibrated captured enemy health values. Only high HP characters have decreased health.
• Roll-back to previous small orb health amount.
• Roll-back to previous AI difficulty on zombie soldiers.
• Nerfed Pincoya's up regular attack. Only the tip of the weapon knocks down.

There was also a recent developer post in response to a user stating that ACE Team will once again be reassessing the community progression system as it doesn't appear to be working when accounting for long term player commitment.

http://steamcommunity.com/app/255070/discussions/0/35219681561059006/#c35219681777744849

This behavior is consequent with the volume of players we registered after the seal was broken. It's similar to the release where there was a great amount of people playing simultaneously in a short period of time. Now the concurrent players are much more spaced out. The additional kills have not stopped btw (I've continued checking the leaderboard data).

I think we'll want to tweak how future seals behave because I agree this form of progression is not ideal. We'll come up with something more balanced in future updates.

Silaerion

Neo Member
Patch v1.05 is out!

http://steamcommunity.com/app/255070/discussions/0/35221584374991707/

Fixes / changes include:

• Fixed client not saving progress in online sessions.
• Added option to resume the game after exiting a session*.
• Fixed random occurrence of player being unable to move after being resurrected.
• Hulk boss will sometimes avoid attacking players already engaging the Warlock boss (single-player).
• Enemies have a slight delay before engaging the player after the current target is knocked out or grabbed.
• Spiders and caterpillars use climb animations at 90 degree turns.
• Music doesn't cut off at the final boss level (descent section).

(*) Game will not save progress at the final boss level to avoid exploits.

Note: This update also includes additional content for the next mask phase (not described in the change list).

Silaerion

Neo Member
The second seal has broken. A new evil lurks in the abyss!

http://steamcommunity.com/app/255070/discussions/0/35221584410016956/

4A53F7AD55102D2CFE61EB5433ABD98DCEF8A0BC

Patch v1.06 is out!

http://steamcommunity.com/app/255070...1584374991707/

Fixes / changes include:

• Updated text string for exit game popup window.
• Entering the training room does not wipe saved game progress.
• Saved data records mana.
• Fixed latency issue introduced in previous update.
• Potentially addressed collision replication problem that caused client to go through floors in joining levels.
• Beating the game in Nightmare adds 2 points to the leaderboard.
• Fixed music issues when setting up a camp.
• Fixed trigger issue that allowed player to skip final boss cinematic and attack static NPCs.
• Improved phantom AI.
• Phantoms can now move through walls like the human warlock.
• Reduced phantom XP gain on kill.
• Nerfed centaur and mimic damage outputs and health tweaks.
• Centaur neutral special can no longer cancel into itself.
• Centaur soul is more expensive.
• Mimic spawns with higher frequency.
• Toned down color correction for human warlock and Paganini encounters (less dark).

I got the Warlock kill that triggered the most recent breaking of the seal! :D

ddVA9pf.png

Also Devs have said a big update is coming this month.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Patch v1.10 is out
[ACE] ABORDEU
Fixes / improvements include:

Online PvP mode is out! Online versus supports two player matches. Players that create an online game can wait for clients while fighting AI random mateches.
Improved overall net code to reduce lag and better replicate combat systems.
Updated local versus mode to support teams and included the ability to select AI opponents.
Updated combat mechanics with numerous improvements:
-Ability to transform in between characters mid air or during combos. Transformation occurs faster but now requires using a cancel point.
-Improved turning mechanics. Smoother interpolations and character can change directions with no pauses.
-Recalibrated knockout weights to better support combos. Heavy enemies can now also fall into combos. Training dummy knockback is identical to all light characters.
-Improved character encroaching collision dynamics to avoid characters from intersecting during attacks.
-Fixed input bug related to throws.
-Minor calibration/tweaks specific to some characters.
Tweaked NPC parrying AI.
Fixed performance issue with AI path finding.
Polytrails for weapon special attacks use a brighter VFX.
Introduced a new tile in plant world.
Added 2 new achievements.
Introduced new elements which will unlock after the current seal is destroyed.

Source

ArjanN

Patch v1.10 is out
[ACE] ABORDEU
Fixes / improvements include:

Online PvP mode is out! Online versus supports two player matches. Players that create an online game can wait for clients while fighting AI random mateches.
Improved overall net code to reduce lag and better replicate combat systems.
Updated local versus mode to support teams and included the ability to select AI opponents.
Updated combat mechanics with numerous improvements:
-Ability to transform in between characters mid air or during combos. Transformation occurs faster but now requires using a cancel point.
-Improved turning mechanics. Smoother interpolations and character can change directions with no pauses.
-Recalibrated knockout weights to better support combos. Heavy enemies can now also fall into combos. Training dummy knockback is identical to all light characters.
-Improved character encroaching collision dynamics to avoid characters from intersecting during attacks.
-Fixed input bug related to throws.
-Minor calibration/tweaks specific to some characters.
Tweaked NPC parrying AI.
Fixed performance issue with AI path finding.
Polytrails for weapon special attacks use a brighter VFX.
Introduced a new tile in plant world.
Added 2 new achievements.
Introduced new elements which will unlock after the current seal is destroyed.

Source

Yeah, noticed the new achievements, now I'm not at 100% anymore.. :p

Will give the PvP a try.

looks like they also added
the Golem from Zeno Clash.

Vazra

Does the PC version get patched or the console versions too?

PC version is ahead on patches from what I remember. Also console version doesnt have Vs Mode unless they changed from PC only. (Which now is playable online)

Tizoc

I just started the game and the combat feels rather stiff. Any tips on how to improve my combat through the game?

Vazra

I just started the game and the combat feels rather stiff. Any tips on how to improve my combat through the game?
Unlock the directional moves and practice how to link them. The game is stiff but it flows better once you have a well built moveset.

Vazra

Ok thanks
I pnly played like 15 mins and was at the 3rdish floor when i quit
It will get pretty easy once you unlock skills also not sure if it still happens but if you stay near the fog wall the enemies if they are far from you they wont attack you until the fog wall disappears but you get to run and move to the next area.

Top Bottom