• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Abyss Odyssey |OT| A Warlock's Nightmare From Which I Am Trying To Awake

Danielsan

I'm still not 100% sure I enjoy the combat in this game. If I hit attack + direction I expect to attack in that direction. Instead I often find my character turned the wrong way...

Just finished my first defeat of the Warlock, probably slightly higher level then most peoples first victory (17) but still a very awesome journey down through the abyss. Now on to the GHost Monk and his huge sword of head bonking.

Quick question, does anyone know who all the characters on the versus character select screen are? Their are like 9 slots for the 'hero' characters and as far as I know only 3 of them.

Corpekata

Banned
Just finished my first defeat of the Warlock, probably slightly higher level then most peoples first victory (17) but still a very awesome journey down through the abyss. Now on to the GHost Monk and his huge sword of head bonking.

Quick question, does anyone know who all the characters on the versus character select screen are? Their are like 9 slots for the 'hero' characters and as far as I know only 3 of them.

Generally prominent story-ish character. The Jackal is the only one I have (guitar player). I'd wager characters like Pagnini and some of the bosses fill out the rest.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
I actually noticed it acting weird too. Like it launched at 30 FPS for some reason. Entered the game and it was hovering in the 20s. Went up to 60 finally but something was off.
I had the game drop to around 15 FPS once near the bottom of a level. Went away when I dropped down a level.

vg260

Bought this game at launch and still have not had much time to play. So, does the community aspect mean that the later you play, the harder (more forms) the last boss will be?

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Bough this game at launch and still have not had much time to play. So, does the community aspect mean that the later you play, the harder (more forms) the last boss will be?

The community
will unlock more phases to the boss which basically are changes to the mask and perhaps movesets. This will also lead to new enemies in the future and newer areas as they update the game.

Vazra

You have everyone unlocked at the moment. Ace Team has stated that the last four will become possible to obtain as more phases are unlocked.

SMH and with the Community/Leaderboards glitched I'll have to wait. I wonder if my wins will eventually update to what it should be instead of being stuck.

Silaerion

Neo Member
SMH and with the Community/Leaderboards glitched I'll have to wait. I wonder if my wins will eventually update to what it should be instead of being stuck.

I hope it does update, but I don't see how they would even keep track of such a thing considering the system is not acknowledging a single defeat of the Warlock since the v1.01 patch.

Vazra

I hope it does update, but to be honest, I don't see how they would even keep track of such a thing considering the system is not acknowledging a single clear of the Warlock since the v1.01 patch.

I see the benefit that I can grind everyone to max levels and then do the runs faster when it gets patched to work properly.

:( how do you make a 2d platformer with this not being an option

Go at the feedback thread on steam and talk about it. Im sure many might talk about that and them pick it up. As I don't use much the items I don't thinking using them with the left stick would break anything as its simple commands. (Also I rather use select when Im not fighting to choose what I want instead of randomly using the big one Im saving for later)

Silaerion

Neo Member
I see the benefit that I can grind everyone to max levels and then do the runs faster when it gets patched to work properly.

There's certainly that factor, but I'll be taking a break since I don't want to burn myself out for essentially nothing.

Personally, I used the community progression system as a sort of incentive or means of purpose when grinding out levels for each character. With that glitched, there's really no point for me to continue pressing forward at the moment.

I currently have Katrien at level 70, Ghost Monk at level 37, and Pincoya at level 60. To be frank, I haven't really noticed too much of a difference in regards to clear speed with said levels as, from what I can tell, nothing increases besides max health.

Vazra

There's certainly that factor, but I'll be taking a break since I don't want to burn myself out for essentially nothing.

Personally, I used the community progression system as a sort of incentive or means of purpose when grinding out levels for each character. With that glitched at the moment, there's really no point for me to continue pressing forward at the moment.

I currently have Katrien at level 70, Ghost Monk at level 37, and Pincoya at level 60. To be frank, I haven't really noticed too much of a difference in regards to clear speed with said levels as, from what I can tell, nothing increases besides max health.

Max health makes it easier IMO and I pretty much can play a bit more risk and reward thanks to it. I'm not severely penalized like I would early on for trying new things. Also I need to unlock Ghost Monk skills since Ive been neglecting him since forever. (Surprisingly not into his style when I was hyped to use him the most)

Silaerion

Neo Member
Max health makes it easier IMO and I pretty much can play a bit more risk and reward thanks to it. I'm not severely penalized like I would early on for trying new things. Also I need to unlock Ghost Monk skills since Ive been neglecting him since forever. (Surprisingly not into his style when I was hyped to use him the most)

Don't get me wrong, I admit that there's an advantage; I just don't see it as a huge difference, let alone reason enough to continue playing at the moment.

Judging from this post, we won't see a fix for the leaderboard and, in turn, community progression until at least Thursday. It's also quite likely Warlock defeats since the v1.01 patch won't be updated considering the nature of the glitch.

As for Ghost Monk: I can't say I'm fond of his play style either. He's far too slow, and combat with him requires a bit too much in-your-face tactics than I'd like.

Did the patch do anything to improve screen tearing? I didn't see any mention in the notes. It is really distracting for me...

I haven't suffered any screen tearing myself, but I do have V-Sync turned on both in-game and via my graphic card's control panel.

Vazra

Let me copy paste my post from steam thread

Finally played the VS Mode with a friend and I gotta say if they keep updating it that could be huge. I like how things flow against human players and how crazy it can get as it get near the end of the battle.

Current things the VS Mode needs.
  • CPU Fights
  • Online Patch
  • More Stages ( I think 8 stages could be neat and some could have hazards to mess up with people but make em decent size so the big monsters also have a chance to move around)
  • I understand why they divide between Champions tier and Support tier but thesupport characters can destroy as much as the champions and everyone seems to have competent moves to keep the matches even. (Yes even the soldiers have options if you practice lazy asses)
  • Alt Costumes (Colors and Minor Modification per skin would be nice)

Training Mode needs.
  • Enemy Select (Make the punching bag a character btw)
  • Let me see what combinations I'm doing (Display Commands)
  • CPU Options (Jump, attack, etc)
  • Let me see the hitboxes on every enemy since this could work well for the Vs Mode as well as the main mode.

Now as for general changes
  • Let me swap movement to the dpad. Using items with the stick wont be annoying.
  • Fix Page 9 glitch
  • Fix Altar Glitch
  • Fix enemies that die out of the stage or clip through the ground.

Crazy Idea
Stage Editor: Create stages using the building blocks the game has. Play by yourself or friends, share em online and enjoy. (It wont count for the leaderboards of course.)

That would be crazy to watch what torturous stages people come up with. (Tons of Thwomp like enemies in all directions while dodging guillotines and random flying fishes while jumping all over the place you say?!?!)

Now that I'm getting used to the interesting mechanics and systems in this game, really liking it a lot. Just bought a Camp Token (II).

Maybe the update helped in explaining some stuff, like the special attacks menu. The How To Play section is some of the coolest in a game, reminds me of Bayonetta.

Vazra

Now that I'm getting used to the interesting mechanics and systems in this game, really liking it a lot. Just bought a Camp Token (II).

Maybe the update helped in explaining some stuff, like the special attacks menu. The How To Play section is some of the coolest in a game, reminds me of Bayonetta.

Another thing they could do is show some easy combos to execute in training mode. The game opens up a lot when you have the 3 skills set and the 3 cancel points so showing you some basic combos might help those still learning the game perhaps get a taste of what you can do better. I'm not saying to teach you 30 hit combos but something like 8-12 hit so people get a nice idea of what is going on and explore what else you can do. I'm not asking for a long movelist but something like 3-5 basic combos could help those who want to learn the game get into it faster. The How to play has always been there and IMO people should check it out before jumping in blindly and then complain they dont get anything. lol.

As for the camp token I rarely get em. Costs too much and you can pretty much manage to beat the game if you know what moves to use in which area. If anything I go on the route where the optional boss is at and get the Token for most of the time I fight him.

Vazra

The medallion is half gone now...

Has been like that since yesteday. The game bugged out and will be stuck like that til Thursday if they get a patch that day. Leaderboard not working so no progress being made.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Why is the soundtrack so good? I want someone to interview their composer, I really want to hear the process behind the soundtrack of the game, the inspirations and things like that.

Also why do I get an Access Denied on the Steam Discussions page :(

Vazra

Why is the soundtrack so good? I want someone to interview their composer, I really want to hear the process behind the soundtrack of the game, the inspirations and things like that.

Also why do I get an Access Denied on the Steam Discussions page :(

Where you the one hating on Chile?

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Where you the one hating on Chile?

:lol Not at all, I haven't even made a post there yet, if I did, you'd probably notice, I use the same username everywhere gaming related :p

Unless the Chile hater actually goes to my University, as I'm not at home currently.

Ozium

The amount of Chile that is in this game is absolutely disgusting...

I mean it's set in Chile, but you are mostly in an underground dungeon like area but still it's in Chile and that's just gross. Then there are the soldiers that look like they are from Chile. Absolutely disgusting. Who does ACE team think they are to shoehorn Chile into everything? What is their agenda? Some stupid mermaid lady thing (but not a mermaid because she has legs?) from Chilean legend.. oh wait she has legs because she's from Chile and it's disgusting..

am i doin' it right?

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
If anyone missed the preorder price and wants to get it now, it's $10 on the Humble Store for the next 2 days.

Scythian

That looks really cool ;_;
I just hoped there was more going on on the right side, at least it looks like it in my screen :p
6e764e73a5.jpg

Vazra

That looks really cool ;_;
I just hoped there was more going on on the right side, at least it looks like it in my screen :p

Thats how it looks here on my laptop.

I got all achievements so now its a matter of waiting for the leaderboards to back and crack that mask.

Im only missing Katrien's wallpaper.

Ozium

Nito ACE team said on the forums that the second mask has been shown in a trailer already.. go find it (you are the abyss king ater all lol)

Can't wait for the update so we can make progress again...

Vazra

At least the guy who hates Chile will be happy!

Can we get a Barack Obama Mask? I bet he will change his tune on the game with that. Switch the fishes for American Dollars and its the most American Game EVERRRRR.

EDIT: Wait someone might think Chileans are terrorists. Scratch the idea.

Vazra

Guys you can make the leaderboards work. Turn Friendly Fire Off and that should fix it. (The patch was working the opposite way it was intended SMH)

ViviOggi

They push out a decent patch based on player feedback one day after release but then don't bother fixing a bug affecting one of the game's main selling points? So weird.

vg260

They push out a decent patch based on player feedback one day after release but then don't bother fixing a bug affecting one of the game's main selling points? So weird.

They said they apparently worked over a holiday to push out the first patch and are back on Monday to work on this issue.

Silaerion

Neo Member

It's pretty disappointing to say the least, but the main reason for the delay is due to most of the team taking a vacation of sorts as a result of burnout.

In any case, they're supposedly going to address the issue today if this post serves as any indication.

ViviOggi

They said they apparently worked over a holiday to push out the first patch and are back on Monday to work on this issue.

It's pretty disappointing to say the least, but the main reason for the delay is due to most of the team taking a vacation of sorts as a result of burnout.

In any case, they're supposedly going to address the issue today if this post serves as any indication.

Ah, that explains it. Can't blame them.

Vazra

Crunch time weeks are an ass so it doesn't surprise me that quick patch to please people with the friendly fire broke something. At least we know the issue and they are aware to patch it asap. Hope people dont rush em to patch too quickly so they save us the time from the messy bugs that might come for rushing things out.

Silaerion

Neo Member
Crunch time weeks are an ass so it doesn't surprise me that quick patch to please people with the friendly fire broke something. At least we know the issue and they are aware to patch it asap. Hope people dont rush em to patch too quickly so they save us the time from the messy bugs that might come for rushing things out.

Looks like the issue was resolved according to this developer's post.

A follow-up patch introducing further improvements and fixes also seems to be planned for later this week; it'll probably be Thursday if previous sayings are any indication.

Edit #1: Issue has not been resolved and, in fact, was made worse as not even the temporary method mentioned before by Gravelord_Nito functions. It's still unknown whether or not it'll be fixed by the end of today, or with the upcoming patch later this week.
Edit #2: A new update has been released on Steam, and has resolved the issue completely. You may or may not get two points added to your leaderboard score upon defeating the Warlock the first time since downloading said update.

Vazra

The patch isnt working for me and some other guys. Will try with turning off again the FF and see if that works still.

Vazra

It doesn't work at all now; just completed two runs using each method and neither uploaded the Warlock defeat to the Leaderboards.

They are working on another hotfix for today. IMO they should have waiting til thursday as they were going to do originally and fix is slowly during the week until thursday.

Silaerion

Neo Member
They are working on another hotfix for today. IMO they should have waiting til thursday as they were going to do originally and fix is slowly during the week until thursday.

Yeah, just finished reading up on that in the Steam Discussion Forums; it was actually just released right now.

Top Bottom