• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Adam Boyes Confirms: Call of Duty: Ghosts is Native 1080p on PS4

Status
Not open for further replies.

ProcrasDANation

Neo Member
Erm, not really. It's mostly about securing the procurement, and setting up the slots months in advance, and ensuring that everything else not-related to the plant is JIT.

There's of course, advantageous deals, but those are in the scale of Apple products and Samsung smartphones, stuff that will sell 10x more than consoles in 1/5th the time.

You really only fuck-up manufacturing lines when retooling, staffing and external procurement timing completely goes haywire.

Really? Interesting, then I guess their internal modeling and projections came out lower than actual demand or they had to finalize really late.

Thanks for the insight.

Codeblew

Day 1 bundle is only available until it's gone, the rest should be normal SKUs. I don't know what their plan is as far as sending them out, so it's hard to say.

I will keep my eye on the 2nd SKU to see if I see any PO's with it as we get close to the 22nd. My companies stores will definitely sell out of the day 1 SKU. The numbers really are low.

Also my company does not do pre-orders so people will have to line up for them. I wonder if they will bother to do a midnight release like they have started doing with some big games lately, such as GTA5, COD, etc., but maybe they will hoping the customers will buy accessories, games and other high margin merchandise while they are there.

I was looking for a thread where this was being discussed, as I saw the tweets from Gies, Dent and Sessler when browsing twitter.

We really need the 'Boat to a balance out this industry insider crap and inform us gamers.

The thing about manufacturing is that it's hard to tell what's the problem. Even the mess-up of a small cog in large gears can have a huge, huge impact on the ability for productions lines to run smoothly.

I've seen product concepts that get scrapped because it's extremely, extremely difficult to bring the manufacturing of said product to the factory lines, not without complete revamp of the machinery used. At that point, the cost involved becomes so high that the product cannot be priced at a position that's rational.

At the same time, I've seen stupid shit like suits who either over-inflate demand of the product in the next 12/24/36 months just to be able to brag to their bosses that they can deliver long-term vision. Or even guys who purposely put forecast low so that they have a lower, easier target to hit next year, completely ignoring actual market demand.

And sometimes, shit just happen. The ship that carries the parts somehow had problems during the transportation, which completely spoils the pieces needed for assembly. Union negotiations. Etc.

US only.

SS = Stock Status; which is on order, on hand, in transit and sales data.

Okay, so I guess the SKU I see allocations for is the day 1 bundle and the other SKU is the regular bundle. Is there supposed to be regular bundles on day 1 as well or is that after day 1?

Edit: I should probably add that my company is only regional in the US and is small (as in number of stores) compared to the Best Buys, GameStops and Walmarts. So it could be that we just got a bad allocation from MS.

My local independent game store (largest game store in the country) didn't get any allocation from either MS or Sony. They don't even know if they'll get anything on launch day. Sucks really

Codeblew

My local independent game store (largest game store in the country) didn't get any allocation from either MS or Sony. They don't even know if they'll get anything on launch day. Sucks really

Yeah, it is hard for small companies to get any leverage on big-ticket items unfortunately. All the corporations see is a $50M order vs. a $10K order. Their bonuses are based on $ sold so the $10K order won't even buy the sales guy an extra bagel for breakfast. And it is a lot of extra work in paperwork, etc. for that bagel.

DrM

Redmond's Baby

Well, whole bunch of EU countries will miss PS4 launch and distributors have no idea, when we will get some consoles.

ProcrasDANation

Neo Member
Why wouldn't it be 1080p? Game looks like shit.

Guessing you haven't been following the craziness here over the last few days. PS4 being confirmed as native 1080p is only significant as seemingly no one can confirm the XBONE resolution which rumored (with a lot of traction) to be 720p.

velociraptor

I'm for 1080p, no matter the costs, however it's pretty clear resolution is not going to matter to 99% of people who buy the next-gen consoles.

Depending on how well your TV can upscale the source material, you will likely end up with a very clean image on the screen anyway. My brother has a Panasonic LED TV and I'm surprised at how good games like Batman Origins and GTA V look on the PS3. These are 720p games mind you, and after playing 1080p on my PC for a couple of years, I expected the resolution to look like pure shit.

sono

Good to know its 1080p native. How is the gameplay ?

You can't summon CBOAT. He just happens to pass through our dimension here and there. Hence communication jam, it's caused by rogue bozons passing through his transmission.

Wonderful!

Bedlam

I'm for 1080p, no matter the costs, however it's pretty clear resolution is not going to matter to 99% of people who buy the next-gen consoles
Even people who can't tell the difference between the resolutions will care about the widespread notion that one of the two consoles is regarded the inferior one when it comes to multiplatform games. The message definitely reached the wider "softcore" audience last generation and hurt the PS3.

Erik Kain says many people know the resolution of the xbone version but are under embargo from Microsoft not activision

https://twitter.com/erikkain/status/393935364823343104
https://twitter.com/erikkain/status/393935511821107200
Lots of opportunities for Albert to finally get to know the resolution for those games since his company/colleagues won't tell the poor guy. Maybe he could ask and then get back to us with the information? That would be swell. lol

Erik Kain says many people know the resolution of the xbone version but are under embargo from Microsoft not activision

https://twitter.com/erikkain/status/393935364823343104
https://twitter.com/erikkain/status/393935511821107200
Interesting. I guess there's still plausible deniability though. But this really seems like one of those "secrets" that everybody knows.
How the hell can Microsoft decide that with Activision's product? :lol
I doubt any game writer wants to be blacklisted by Microsoft.

QaaQer

Gemüsepizza;87521572 said:
Maybe it's not just an embargo but an NDA which says they can't even talk about the whole thing.

I wish we could make a thread about this because that tweet is really bizarre and it is too bad it is buried in a Ghosts thread where nobody will see it, oh well.

Liamario

Banned
The fact that people aren't allowed to talk about it, says a lot to be fair. Best case scenario, is that they are working to increase the resolution. Worst case, is that you won't know until the game is released.

Liamario

Banned
Even people who can't tell the difference between the resolutions...

I think people can tell the difference. Obviously it's relevant is less important if you're only buying one console. But the difference is there to be seen. The average joe loves COD and the framerate is a big part of that; they just may not realise it or be able to describe it.

Bundy

Banned
The fact that people aren't allowed to talk about it, says a lot to be fair. Best case scenario, is that they are working to increase the resolution. Worst case, is that you won't know until the game is released.
~3 weeks before release?
The Xbone version of COD should be already finished.

velociraptor

Even people who can't tell the difference between the resolutions will care about the widespread notion that one of the two consoles is regarded the inferior one when it comes to multiplatform games. The message definitely reached the wider "softcore" audience last generation and hurt the PS3.
No it didn't. PS3 gamers still brought PS3 games. Xbox One gamers will still buy Xbox One games, inferior ports or not. I think resolution will be trivial to the masses. 720p doesn't look as 1080p, but it still looks 'ok' on most sets.

(IF) that is true and they are being bullies about that information they are dicks.
(IF) that isn't true then why aren't they coming out and saying otherwise?

Just further proves Microsoft is stuck in an era of no social media, alone in their own little bubble.

Bedlam

No it didn't. PS3 gamers still brought PS3 games. Xbox One gamers will still buy Xbox One games, inferior ports or not. I think resolution will be trivial to the masses. 720p doesn't look as 1080p, but it still looks 'ok' on most sets.
I think it did. People who had both consoles usually made the 360 their go-to console for gaming. One of the reasons for that is that multiplatform games pretty much always had an edge over their PS3 counterparts. It's partly how the 360 became the "console that all my friends play on".

And people who bought into the PS3/360 generation later on sought advice from people who owned the consoles already. I think "get the 360, it's cheaper and games usually look a little worse on PS3" was a common answer.

An emerging "console x is more powerful than y"-narrative is definitely affecting mainstream consumer behavior (the "softcore" segment, people who buy the console for COD, Fifa etc).

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
What? No!
Link?

Damn I can't find him now. I just occasionally find him when I'm searching Youtube.

edit: forget it LOL. He's called Blunty. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8yv9VfbmLgI

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

But Back on topic: This whole thing smacks of holding off on revealing the actual resolution before any late reviews can sway anyone's decision on which console they are going to buy. The PS4 releases a week earlier so there's no way we're going to get any information until the X1 is due to be released, and MS know for certain that the PS4 will probably have run out of stock by the time the reviews release, giving them more of a chance of grabbing that impulse buy.

FeiRR

Banned
I think it did. People who had both consoles usually made the 360 their go-to console for gaming. One of the reasons for that is that multiplatform games pretty much always had an edge over their PS3 counterparts. It's partly how the 360 became the "console that all my friends play on".
How would you then explain dominance of PS3 in Europe (barring UK) and continents other than North America? In the places where both are available.

~3 weeks before release?
The Xbone version of COD should be already finished.

3 weeks wasn't that what i took to port the ps4 version and have it running at 90fps?
Wouldn't be surprised if microsoft send in a team to fix stuff to atleast have it run higher then 720p we already knew they send in a audio team to at least one studio.

Bedlam

How would you then explain dominance of PS3 in Europe (barring UK) and continents other than North America? In the places where both are available.
The Sony dominance shrunk significantly over here.

This is anecdotal obviously, I'm German and my group of friends (some of whom owned a PS2 before this gen, me included) went all 360 this gen. And all of us are switching back to Sony for next-gen.

All of what I wrote (the advice to others etc) I saw happening in person. Again: it's all just anectodal of course but it's still noticable that Sony lost quite a bit of marketshare to MS and it was probably partly because of the same consumer dynamics that played a role within my group of friends..

Bundy

Banned
3 weeks wasn't that what i took to port the ps4 version and have it running at 90fps?
Wouldn't be surprised if microsoft send in a team to fix stuff to atleast have it run higher then 720p we already knew they send in a audio team to at least one studio.
Yeah, but you have to produce the discs, etc.
So IW should have already gone gold witht the Xbone version this week. Don't you think?

A patch to 1up the resolution?
Hm.... I don't know man....

It depends how they formatted the engine.
If the graphical sub system is it own dll you can replace that subsystem dll if im not mistaken. I haven`t programmed yet with using dll so i could be wrong.

Ghost doesnt give me the impression that even the x1 cant do it at 900p minimally.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Anyone who follows Kevin dent on Twitter deserves what they get and do not make threads off vaguenp crap.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom