• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Adam Sandler’s ‘Happy Gilmore 2’ Officially Confirmed at Netflix

ManaByte

Gold Member

“I saw Adam [Sandler] about two weeks ago, and he says to me, ‘McDonald, you’re gonna love this,’” McDonald said. “I said, ‘What?’ He says, ‘How about that,’ and he shows me the first draft of ‘Happy Gilmore 2.’ Maybe you should cut that out [of this audio] because I don’t wanna be a liar, but he did show me that, and I thought, ‘Well, that would be awesome.’ So, it’s in the works. Fans demand it, dammit!”

It’s apparently set at a senior golf tournament.
Happy Gilmore Golf GIF

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Please don’t fuck this up. 🙏

Mistake

I think if he taught someone younger to golf, it could turn into an interesting concept. Like a passing of the torch with lots of fuck ups

Last edited:

Pejo

Gold Member
Call me cynical but in today's comedy climate, I just don't see any outcome where this is a funny movie. I'm guessing 2/3 of the film will be callbacks to the first movie and the rest will be Happy passing on the torch to his lesbian daughter.

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
I wonder what came first, the idea for it or Netflix asking for it?

I'm not attempting to criticise anyone, but presumably Sandler could have got a sequel greenlit relatively easily at various points since the original released.

eddie4

Genuinely Generous
Adam was like, how about Grown Ups 3 and they said fuck outta here, so he said ok Happy Gilmore 2.

ManaByte

Gold Member
I wonder what came first, the idea for it or Netflix asking for it?

I'm not attempting to criticise anyone, but presumably Sandler could have got a sequel greenlit relatively easily at various points since the original released.
Sandler wrote it first.

He has an ongoing deal with Netflix, so they picked it up.

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
Sandler wrote it first.

He has an ongoing deal with Netflix, so they picked it up.

Quite interesting, my own prejudice makes me think that Netflix isn't as prestigious as the traditional studios (not that there's really any difference now). I can't help but wonder if what some might call the biggest sequel Sandler could announce might be something that he'd want to work on once this deal is up and release under a different studio's name.

BUT, given that Netflix have made Sandler the highest paid actor in Hollywood ( https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-68498856 ) - maybe he intends on signing again and again.

Last edited:

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
He is likely making 100 million on this

Unlikely - the figures online (for what that's worth) are that Sandler's production company signed a deal with Netflix worth $250m in 2014, for which he delivered 4 films. That's 62.5m a film, from which everyone on the production needs to get paid.

But, having said that, he was Hollywood's highest paid actor last year when you count all his earnings.

Well, looking it up quickly reveals that Sandler signed a $250 million dollar renewal contract with Netflix in 2020, and possibly still has to fulfil it by producing a few more movies for them? Also, as hard as this may be to believe, Sandler's past efforts actually brought in a lot of viewership for Netflix. So, making a sequel to one of his most recognisable movies, actually does make some sense.

Last edited:

It’s apparently set at a senior golf tournament.
Happy Gilmore Golf GIF

Well, sadly Bob Barker can't return. So here's hoping that an older Happy Gilmore gets into a fist fight with Pat Sajak, instead.. and maybe Vanna could run out to Pat's defence and kick Gilmore in the nuts.

Last edited:

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
Well, looking it up quickly reveals that Sandler signed a $250 million dollar renewal contract with Netflix in 2020, and possibly still has to fulfil it by producing a few more movies for them? Also, as hard as this may be to believe, Sandler's past efforts actually brought in a lot of viewership for Netflix. So, making a sequel to one of his most recognisable movies, actually does make some sense.

It'd make more sense to fulfill a contractual obligation without using what might be his biggest IP and something that he could easily get funded at any number of studios, imo.

I think it's weird that it could be just another of Netflix's films, but possible that use of an existing IP came up in negotiations.

Last edited:
It'd make more sense to fulfill a contractual obligation without using what might be his biggest IP and something that he could easily get funded at any number of studios, imo.

I think it's weird that it could be just another of Netflix's films, but possible that use of an existing IP came up in negotiations.

I cannot debate you, because I do not know how these contracts actually work. That was just an uneducated guess on my part.

You'd think Sandler would be able to take Happy Gilmore 2 to just about any studio, and they would give him some sort of funding to make it. Billy Maddison and Happy Gilmore are Sandlers two biggest movie IP's, hence why his production company is/ was(?) called Happy Maddison. It is interesting. Maybe Netflix gave him a really good 'incentive' on securing a sequel to one of his best known movies?

They seem to be funding sequels to older franchises. Like Beverly Hills Cop 4.

Last edited:

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
I cannot debate you, because I do not know how these contracts actually work. That was just an uneducated guess on my part.

You'd think Sandler would be able to take Happy Gilmore 2 to just about any studio, and they would give him some sort of funding to make it. Billy Maddison and Happy Gilmore are Sandlers two biggest movie IP's, hence why his production company is/ was(?) called Happy Maddison. It is interesting. Maybe Netflix gave him a really good 'incentive' on securing a sequel to one of his best known movies?

They seem to be funding sequels to older franchises. Like Beverly Hills Cop 4.
No debate needed, I think we basically agree. Essentially, if you were Sandler you'd know that Happy Gilmore was one of your more well liked movies with decent brand recognition.

If you were Netflix and were signing a multi film deal with Sandler, you'd know that more of your audience would probably be interested in Happy Gilmore 2 than another Sandler movie they don't have an already established relationship with.

Whilst it was somewhat hyperbolic of me to say that Sandler could get his film made anywhere, what I should have said was it would presumably be easier for him to get a film made that is part of a known and liked IP, and that this is arguably his biggest IP. It'd be a lot easier and desirable to get HG2 made than Jack and Jill 2, for obvious reasons.

With the value of the IP in mind, I presume that somewhere along the line, either Netflix asked or Sandler offered to add this title as part of negotiations for this deal, not that it was just something that happened because Sandler had been sitting on a script and felt the time was right - if that were the case, he'd likely negotiate a deal for that film specifically.

No debate needed, I think we basically agree. Essentially, if you were Sandler you'd know that Happy Gilmore was one of your more well liked movies with decent brand recognition.

If you were Netflix and were signing a multi film deal with Sandler, you'd know that more of your audience would probably be interested in Happy Gilmore 2 than another Sandler movie they don't have an already established relationship with.

I don't think Happy Gilmore or Billy Madison are two of Sandler's best performing movies at the box office, but they did well for their initial release. But I think both movies performed best in the home media market to the point where they really are some of his most well known movies at this point, along with Mr Deeds, and Click.

I never watched either one in the cinema, but I know I have seen Billy Madison enough times on home media (VHS, DVD, TV etc) to the point where I know the movie really well. I had a friend who use to quote 'O'Doyle RULES!" randomly as a joke ( as a teen...not anymore.). Or, back in the day; someone would say: "IT'S POOOP AGAIN!" followed by someone else (usually me) responding with: "he called the shit; poop!"

I think Sandler movies really do best in the home media market, which is why he really gravitated towards Netflix. Even his most panned movies, still get a lot of views.. which is really why Netflix has no problem resigning Happy Madison Productions.

Whilst it was somewhat hyperbolic of me to say that Sandler could get his film made anywhere, what I should have said was it would presumably be easier for him to get a film made that is part of a known and liked IP, and that this is arguably his biggest IP. It'd be a lot easier and desirable to get HG2 made than Jack and Jill 2, for obvious reasons.

Yeah, I agree with that. I just mean that his more recognisable movies could probably get made if he pitched them. Not so much Jack and Jill 2.

With the value of the IP in mind, I presume that somewhere along the line, either Netflix asked or Sandler offered to add this title as part of negotiations for this deal, not that it was just something that happened because Sandler had been sitting on a script and felt the time was right - if that were the case, he'd likely negotiate a deal for that film specifically.

I think Netflix might also want to bank on the nostalgia off the first movie. Maybe pitching a sequel wasn't a hard sell? I think Happy Gilmore is probably one of the easier films to make a sequel for, because the plot will inventively end up at a madcaps golf tournament. Which is a pretty basic template to work from.

Last edited:

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
I think Netflix might also want to bank on the nostalgia off the first movie. Maybe pitching a sequel wasn't a hard sell?
Obviously, my point is that Netflix would have wanted recognisable IP and Sandler would know they would. It wouldn't be a hard sell at all. More that Sandler would have known he could ask for more and Netflix would be prepared to give it, so including that film in a deal that might otherwise be 4 standalone films with unknown characters and premises a HG Sequel would likely make the deal be worth more.

Last edited:
Obviously, my point is that Netflix would have wanted recognisable IP and Sandler would know they would. It wouldn't be a hard sell at all. More that Sandler would have known he could ask for more and Netflix would be prepared to give it, so including that film in a deal that might otherwise be 4 standalone films with unknown characters and premises a HG Sequel would likely make the deal be worth more.

Yeah, that sounds about right. Also, there just seems to be a trend of making sequels to 'older' movies in general. Netflix has Beverly Hills Cop: Axel F, there is that new Bad Boys movie, there is talks of an Austin Powers 4, etc... I do think this is another example of that.

22:22:22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Yeah, that sounds about right. Also, there just seems to be a trend of making sequels to 'older' movies in general. Netflix has Beverly Hills Cop: Axel F, there is that new Bad Boys movie, there is talks of an Austin Powers 4, etc... I do think this is another example of that.

Yo its that real?

Shaking My Head GIF by Grammarly.com

Top Bottom