• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Adam Sessler: The cheering in the audience is not coming from the press...

qko

Well duh.

Still not as annoying and overbearing as last year's Playstation E3 conference press applause or not. I swear those people would cheer and clap like maniacs if a maintenance worker accidentally came on stage with a vacuum cleaner.

Sony places their plants more intelligently -mixed in with the rest of the press-. They learned their lesson after the Hanna Montana PSP debacle.

daveo42

Banned
"CHEER OR YOU'RE ALL FIRED!"

images

This is why I have no problem with plants:

SbrYRJn.jpg

Without them we would be watching the most awkward silence in the world.

Bullshit. The entire audience erupted at E3 (press and all) after the first gameplay demos of Uncharted 2 and The Last of Us. There's nothing wrong with the press cheering for something they're excited about. They're covering fucking video games, not the war in Syria.

conman

So funny. I was thinking the exact same thing while I was watching. I could hear the same handful of voices cheering loudly, but the camera showed a totally still and silent audience (press) sitting at their laptops typing away. Funny to get confirmation.

Jac_Solar

I said the same thing about the PS4.

Now, I can say beyond a shadow of a doubt that only console to impress me this new gen is the Wii U purely because it actually offered something innovative and new.

I will say that the XboxOne reveal was a lot better than the PS4 reveal though. They at least had an actual console and a new I.P. to show. The PS4 event was pretty much just to advertise the 8GBDDR5 which I bet money is going to fail to live up to the hype just like the Cell.

Didn't they show off a lot of games at the PS4 event? Which is what the consoles are supposed to be all about..

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
This was super obvious when people flipped out for FIFA Ultimate Team.

Nobody in the press is gonna do that.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
Personally, I don't mind the media cheering at events.

They are enthusiast press. I want them to be enthused by what they are seeing. There is no fanboyism or console war shit here. If you are enjoying what you are seeing, it's only natural to cheer and applaud.

I personally want a gaming press that is just as excited and into gaming as I am. Nintendo show off a new Zelda? Fuck yeah! Go for it! Sony shows off the Last of Us demo a few years back and it floors us? Let that shit out, son! Microsoft announce a new game, or a sequel to something like Halo, and it looks badass? You guessed it, hoot and holler.

For me, the audience reactions makes things more enjoyable. Watching Star Trek last week wouldn't have been nearly as fun if our small audience weren't as into the movie as we are.

If the press isn't as enthusiastic about the industry they work in, and that we love (and some of us, me included, work in), then I have to say I won't be as enthusiastic in hearing about what you have to say about said industry that they work in.

This "jaded generation" of gaming media has grown tiresome for me, personally. I miss the balls out, excited at the prospect of what gaming can be journalism from the late 80's and 90's. But hey, that's just me, I guess.

These kinds of things are ubiquitous at broadcasted events with live audiences. There's always signs / lights that tell you when to cheer / when to laugh, a guy to rev up the audience, plants to ensure a proper reaction to game announcements, etc.

The point is that it's supposed to be an artificial experience--it's deliberately manufactured to hype the consumer (the TV viewer). The audience is background noise that's supposed to accentuate the magnitude of the announcements.

If you hear an announcement and a massive amount of cheering for it, you might think "Hey, these people are cheering for it, so they must think it's great! I should think what they think!" You know, herd mentality manipulation and all that.

These kinds of things are ubiquitous at broadcasted events with live audiences. There's always signs / lights that tell you when to cheer / when to laugh, a guy to rev up the audience, plants to ensure a proper reaction to game announcements, etc.

The point is that it's supposed to be an artificial experience--it's deliberately manufactured to hype the consumer (the TV viewer). The audience is background noise that's supposed to accentuate magnitude of the announcements.

If you hear an announcement and a massive amount of cheering for it, you might think "Hey, these people are cheering for it, so they must think it's great! I should think what they think!" You know, herd mentality manipulation and all that.

Yep. I remember going to a Friday night TV comedy show, the audience warm-up for the show involved a guy asking us to applause and saying it wasn't loud enough and we had to do it again until we got it right.

Alienous

Bullshit. The entire audience erupted at E3 (press and all) after the first gameplay demos of Uncharted 2 and The Last of Us. There's nothing wrong with the press cheering for something they're excited about. They're covering fucking video games, not the war in Syria.

Yes, but, those were special.

I feel like I've read this headline before.

Actually yes, I did. It was When Microsoft had the press dress up like members of a suicide cult for a Circ du Soliel -run unveiling of the Kinect.

Sheroking

Against plants.

Rolling my eyes at "Journalists shouldn't cheer". Just because you like watching a demo doesn't compromise your ability to be impartial in covering or reviewing the game.

This is why I think there should be seats reserved for fans.

Top Bottom