• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

After Chrono Trigger, what is the SNES' next best RPG?

Vertti

This thread just reminds us how many great jrpgs there are on snes/sfc.

I'll go with earthbound too. Experience that sticks with you forever.

the lack of Lufia 2 mentions irks me lol

But FF6 is no contest. Ahead of its time and a bit broken by game bugs and yet... still represents the peak of the genre at the time

CrazyHorse

What are the story/puzzle/quest elements like in Super Mario RPG? I don't play RPGs for the combat so I liked Earthbound for the setting and humor.

espher

Gonna hijack this with another Q since people are including a lot of these in their lists - what are some of the better Japan-only Super Famicom/SNES RPGs that either got later ports (e.g. Star Ocean I, though that also changed gameplay systems) and/or had complete or mostly complete fan translations (e.g. Seiken Densetsu 3) that I should look into picking up?

mark-san

Banned
In no universe is Terranigma actually the best RPG on the SNES, stop trying to be gaming hipsters. It's one of the best SNES games that no one ever played, but let's not be ridiculous here.

Being a gaming hipster is saying that CT is not even TOP 10 (yeah, people said that much in this very thread)

And honestly, Terranigma's universe and story are amazing. It's easy to get emotionally invested. For this reason alone it ranks among my own top 3.

So sad nobody noticed my honorable mention. Such an underrated game...

1909-1.jpg

Lufia 2 is vastly underrated.
It is, but I have a feeling a lot of people never got to play it when it came out. Rather low print run, and not to mention a lot of folks were probably jumping into the PS1 that year. Sad it never received any kind of Virtual Console release either. That DS action RPG remake didn't cut it either.

Eila

Gonna hijack this with another Q since people are including a lot of these in their lists - what are some of the better Japan-only Super Famicom/SNES RPGs that either got later ports (e.g. Star Ocean I, though that also changed gameplay systems) and/or had complete or mostly complete fan translations (e.g. Seiken Densetsu 3) that I should look into picking up?

Tales of Phantasia
Final Fantasy V
I heard praise for the Glory of Heracles series but I can't vouch for them.

Malvingt2

In no universe is Terranigma actually the best RPG on the SNES, stop trying to be gaming hipsters. It's one of the best SNES games that no one ever played, but let's not be ridiculous here.

The hell???

how dare you!

Anyway

it is Soul Blazer, Illusion of Gaia and Terranigma.. the trilogy from Quintet? correct?

HotHamBoy

EarthBound
FFVI
Lufia 2
Super Mario RPG
Secret of Evermore
FFV
FFIV

Being a gaming hipster is saying that CT is not even TOP 10 (yeah, people said that much in this very thread)

And honestly, Terranigma's universe and story are amazing. It's easy to get emotionally invested. For this reason alone it ranks among my own top 3.

So sad nobody noticed my honorable mention. Such an underrated game...

1909-1.jpg

E.V.O. is really cool but it has problems and it's not even an RPG...

Aeana

How easy is the pc version to play in English? Does a patch exist?

There are no translations for any version but SNES. As for how they are to play if you don't understand Japanese, I don't really know. PC Engine would probably be easier than the actual PC versions (FM TOWNS being the best by far).

I would say FFVI = Chrono Trigger in my book.

its damn close ill admit

i just have a much bigger soft spot for 6

the characters, themes, setting, music, and maturity of that game was so amazing

the honorable mentions in this thread are pretty great

SMRPG, Lufia2, Secret of Mana, Evermore, Terranigma, Illusion of Gaia...

all great games

Arkeband

Banned
Earthbound is not overrated at all, but Super Mario RPG and Secret of Mana certainly are.

I always thought Secret of Mana controlled poorly (and the radial menu was always a chore), so I can't defend it, but SMRPG overrated?

It's one of the better looking SNES titles with an outstanding OST, well-tuned and mathed out stats, a satistfying turn-based combat system that includes timing hits, great writing and a decent length and pace. There is nothing overrated about SMRPG.

I always thought Secret of Mana controlled poorly (and the radial menu was always a chore), so I can't defend it, but SMRPG overrated?

It's one of the better looking SNES titles with an outstanding OST, well-tuned and mathed out stats, a satistfying turn-based combat system that includes timing hits, great writing and a decent length and pace. There is nothing overrated about SMRPG.

The isometric platforming is horrible.

The OST is largely mediocre with only the forest track being outstanding and the track you hear most often of all (the battle music) being flat out terrible. Combat system is fresh and innovative for its time and fairly fun, but the fights are simply too easy to ever really be that engaging.

Top Bottom