• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AL Senate Candidate Roy Moore Refers to Asians as Yellows, Native Americans as Reds

m0dus

Banned
Wouldnt " reds" traditionally be the Russians in this context ?

Doesn't make it any less asinine, I'm just trying to figure out this idiots thought process.

Seems to be. I don't know why though.

There's years of negative connotation to the term "yellow" and "red" classifications where as "black" or "whites" were used as a blanket term describing the different ethnic groups into a singular term based on skin color.

Wouldnt " reds" traditionally be the Russians in this context ?

Doesn't make it any less asinine, I'm just trying to figure out this idiots thought process.

I'm trying to figure that out. The article is pointing towards native american's, which doesn't really make since by current events.

Asians are fighting first nations people? When did that happen? Canada gaf please explain.

Wait a minute, we're supposed to be fighting native Americans? I'm like the worst Asian ever for having not even known of this war...

Asians are fighting Native Americans? Where?

I was not aware until now that I was at war with Native Americans.

I don't think there's ever been beef between Asian people and native Americans.

Like I said above, it's essentially virtue signaling toward old school Christians who will recognize the reference to "red and yellow, black and white" from sunday school songs.

This doesn't excuse it or legitimize it at all, but that's absolutely where he got the phrase from. Especially given his history linked above displaying the ten commandments etc.

m0dus

Banned
If that's the case, who are yellows?

Oh they would be asians---it makes the phrase more of an open-faced racist sandwich I think.

Edit - and reading it again, is it wierd that I feel a little left out that he didn't mention the browns? I mean, hey buddy, c'mon. We get a shade too.

jackass.

Reminder: Moore and Strange are also running against long-shot Democrat candidate Doug Jones who got the Klansmen behind the 1963 Birmingham church bombing indicted.

GQD8CyJ.png

Cyan

Banned
So far you heard my voice but I brought two friends along. Next on the mic is my man Roy, c'mon Roy sing that song.

boiled goose

good with gravy
God is going to bring together delusional believers and atheist?

What about different religions?

Even those who believe in same god fight.

Right.

Nerdkiller

Membeur
BUT WAIT, THERE'S MORE!

Senate candidate Roy Moore this year suggested 9/11 might have been punishment for US turning away from God

Moore, a hardline conservative running against fellow Republican and incumbent Sen. Luther Strange in a runoff primary race, made the comments in February during a speech at the Open Door Baptist Church, a video reviewed by CNN's KFile shows. Moore, the former chief justice of Alabama, quotes verses from the Old Testament's Book of Isaiah, which have been used by some fringe elements of Christianity to suggest that the Bible prophesied the attacks.

"Because you have despised His word and trust in perverseness and oppression, and say thereon ... therefore this iniquity will be to you as a breach ready to fall, swell out in a high wall, whose breaking cometh suddenly at an instance,'" Moore said, quoting Isaiah 30:12-13. Then he added: "Sounds a little bit like the Pentagon, whose breaking came suddenly at an instance, doesn't it?"
Moore, continued, "If you think that's coincidence, if you go to verse 25, 'there should be up on every high mountain and upon every hill rivers and streams of water in the day of the great slaughter when the towers will fall.' You know, we've suffered a lot in this country, maybe, just maybe, because we've distanced ourselves from the one that has it within his hands to heal this land."

Where the fuck are Asians fighting Native Americans?

Also, Roy's got it all wrong. It's not Whites vs Blacks, it's Good Whites, Blacks, Latinos, Muslims, Asians, Feminists, LGBT and other progressive people, versus racist, bigoted, backwards thinkin' White Supremacists and Conservative nutjobs.

Whites and blacks use those words on themselves, Asians don't call themselves yellows and im pretty sure Native Americans concider Red/redskin a slur.

This reminds me of the fucking wierd story of how the term Yellow and Red got applied to people in the 19th century. As most people are aware black and white has been terms used for centuries but red and yellow is a much more modern concept. It kind of starts with peopling noticing different color people on egyptian ruins and the budding field of race science got estatic about this as way to legitomize their field by tracing it back to Egypt. But oh no their two different white guys on the wall and as drawinga of this circulate one of the white guys slowly become more yellowish in depictions. Now the newly yellow guy must of course been jewish and the other white guy babylonian. (Also insert random Dante inferno devil which was even sillier as they placed the red head with white guys because Blushing!!). Now before this Asians had been seen by Europeans as white but as China started to lose to european powers this yellow catagory moved from Jews on Asians oh and the white Babylonian pictogran also became a European because at this point they was like why the fuck not. So yeah the term Yellow had its start in Anti Semetism.

And now we apply Hanlon's Razor.

Again.

That's who I planned to vote for. Would love it if he won but I'm not really getting my hopes up.

The thing about this is Strange, Moore, and other GOP ain't as far apart as some of the MAGA-pushed candidate situations for a Dem to sneak in and nab it.

That and well, ALABAMA.

Probably not the best wording, but when watching the video, he didn't seem as though he was disparaging any specific group. Not at all a defense, but I thought it would be way worse. I just don't know why he needed to include any of that language.

Top Bottom