• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

All-New Press Previews of Final Fantasy XV's First 5 Chapters

They're so adorable :3

iuX3XIf.gif
K, I give up, where is the video source for this gif?

Thanks for the link.
Yeah, just another example that the main cast is well dubbed in the german version.
Iris doesn't sound very natural though, like someone reading the script and putting emphasis on the wrong words.
Looking forward to hear Luna and Ardyn.
Uh, who is that "Dr. Yeagr" person that the local kids were talking about in the Iris clip? First thing I thought was "Attack on Titan". :D

Koozek

The guy who wrote the Gameswelt preview showed some scenes of the german version in his twitch stream:

https://www.twitch.tv/herrdekay/v/98012027?t=01h17m46s
(If the timestamp doesn't work it starts around 1h 17min)

The main party sounds really good in german.
Thanks as always, Ketaya!

Iris really sounds as if she read from papar. To be fair, though, most of the German VAs for the side characters or maybe even main characters probably haven't seen any game footage while recording so it's not easy to find the right tone for every line if you don't have a good VO director to work with. Noctis, Gladio and Ignis are not bad, in fact Gladio and Ignis sounded better than the English ones from the little I heard at least, but I definitely need more footage to judge fairly.

Ketaya

Thanks as always, Ketaya!

Iris really sounds as if she read from papar. To be fair, though, most of the German VAs for the side characters or maybe even main characters probably haven't seen any game footage while recording so it's not easy to find the right tone for every line if you don't have a good VO director to work with. Noctis, Gladio and Ignis are not bad, in fact Gladio and Ignis sounded better than the English ones from the little I heard at least, but I definitely need more footage to judge fairly.

Yeah, in case you didn't notice, a bit after the first video he shows a second video from the beginning of the game (pushing the car), you can also hear a bit of german Cid.

Koozek

Yeah, in case you didn't notice, a bit after the first video he shows a second video from the beginning of the game (pushing the car), you can also hear a bit of german Cid.
Yup, heard that too. Still not enough, though it doesn't seem too bad even if it still sounds overacted most of the time. Have you ever played any game with German dub in the last years, by any chance? How do you think it stacks up against the better dubs? I guess Witcher 3 is one of the better dubs, no? I only heard a few minutes of it once.

Yeah, german Gladiolus and Ignis don't sound as forced as they do in the english version.
btw. can we assume that the german dub uses the lip flaps of the US/english version?
What happens if we switch to the japanese dub? Are the japanese lip flaps also on the disc?

10 years ago fables were told about an upcoming game that dealt with an "isolated nation protected by an ancient lines of kings. A modern civilization alive with the crystal songs of swords and sorcery." The people were excited and anticipated such an event with open arms, ushering a new era of FF.

Nothing went as expected, a false prophet claiming to be goddess not only descended from the heavens not once but three times. The people lost faith, fear engulfed joyful hearts, skepticism grew strong and the arrival of the true king was nowhere in sight.

Years passed.. and the people wondered if the king had abandoned them..little did they know the king was always watching over as his eyes grew tired of watching the life of expiring threads throughout the passage of time expecting his arrival.

On a random summer day, the king graced us with his arrival. Legend has it he was received with cheers and excitement by everyone! faith was renewed. However, unforeseen events led to dramatic changes. The king was haunted, condemned by many, few faithfuls remained by his side.. it was dark time indeed, the unconditional love provided by many was eradicated.

The king was out on a mission to reclaim his throne and to prove to himself that he's worthy to sit alongside the previous kings that came before him. Slowly but surely skeptics started to come over to his side and a sense of positiveness engulfed everyone.. but the journey is far from over, it's only just begun.

*gets on one knee and stabs the engine blade into the ground.. " People deserve more, people deserve the best and people deserve to have their faith and patience rewarded..and i intend to deliver.

- A King's promise, from the book of the XVersus epic.

j2A5RR.gif

Ontopic: the chocobo leveling up system looks fantastic hopefully they get more abilities like link attacks and such.

Kaze2212

Yup, heard that too. Still not enough, though it doesn't seem too bad even if it still sounds overacted most of the time. Have you ever played any game with German dub in the last years, by any chance? How do you think it stacks up against the better dubs? I guess Witcher 3 is one of the better dubs, no? I only heard a few minutes of it once.

I haven't heard the german dub of Witcher 3. But I once tried out Uncharted 4 in german and it actually had really good german voice acting in my opinion.
Edit: And to answer your question: I think that while FFXV's acting isn't too bad, the acting in UC4 was still far superior.

10 years ago fables were told about an upcoming game that dealt with an "isolated nation protected by an ancient lines of kings. A modern civilization alive with the crystal songs of swords and sorcery." The people were excited and anticipated such an event with open arms, ushering a new era of FF.

Nothing went as expected, a false prophet claiming to be goddess not only descended from the heavens not once but three times. The people lost faith, fear engulfed joyful hearts, skepticism grew strong and the arrival of the true king was nowhere in sight.

Years passed.. and the people wondered if the king had abandoned them..little did they know the king was always watching over as his eyes grew tired of watching the life of expiring threads throughout the passage of time expecting his arrival.

On a random summer day, the king graced us with his arrival. Legend has it he was received with cheers and excitement by everyone! faith was renewed. However, unforeseen events led to dramatic changes. The king was haunted, condemned by many, few faithfuls remained by his side.. it was dark time indeed, the unconditional love provided by many was eradicated.

The king was out on a mission to reclaim his throne and to prove to himself that he's worthy to sit alongside the previous kings that came before him. Slowly but surely skeptics started to come over to his side and a sense of positiveness engulfed everyone.. but the journey is far from over, it's only just begun.

*gets on one knee and stabs the engine blade into the ground.. " People deserve more, people deserve the best and people deserve to have their faith and patience rewarded..and i intend to deliver.

j2A5RR.gif

Ontopic: the chocobo leveling up system looks fantastic hopefully they get more abilities like link attacks and such.
He returns!!! Bwhaha. See if I didn't peak in this thread I would've missed it. This pseudo blackout is hard! I wanna see these previews and watch the omen trailer

He returns!!! Bwhaha. See if I didn't peak in this thread I would've missed it. This pseudo blackout is hard! I wanna see these previews and watch the omen trailer

I just watch the starting area whenever previews come up to be honest, but it's seems to be shaping up well. No one can complain about spoilers so far. Not trying to get too excited since we all know what happened with the starting hours of Mafia.

Ketaya

I play most games with German dub if possible actually. The Witcher 3 is one of the best recently I'd say (I hate Ciri though, same problem as with Iris but worse.) Uncharted I tried to play in German but had to switch to the English dub, didn't like the German dub at all.

For now I would say FFXV is on par with other AAA games, especially other big RPGs.

I haven't heard the german dub of Witcher 3. But I once tried out Uncharted 4 in german and it actually had really good german voice acting in my opinion.

The problem here for me was that I started with UC1 in the Collection and really coudn't stand the dub. What I heard of UC4 was better, but at that point I just couldn't switch back anymore.

Koozek

Yeah, german Gladiolus and Ignis don't sound as forced as they do in the english version.
btw. can we assume that the german dub uses the lip flaps of the US/english version?
What happens if we switch to the japanese dub? Are the japanese lip flaps also on the disc?
Japanese and English have their own lip sync, yeah. Obviously German and French don't. Would be too much reanimating work even with a lot of the non-story cutscenes and NPCs being lip-synced automatically with help of special tools like Auto Lip-Sync etc. (actually BD2 has shown their workflow in one of the tech or BTS videos recently), though the automatically generated ones obviously look rougher and more off than animations polished by artists.

j2A5RR.gif

The prince returns! This is amazing and it only builds my hype even more! Glad to hear from you again!

Koozek

Edit: And to answer your question: I think that while FFXV's acting isn't too bad, the acting in UC4 was still far superior.
I play most games with German dub if possible actually. The Witcher 3 is one of the best recently I'd say (I hate Ciri though, same problem as with Iris but worse.) Uncharted I tried to play in German but had to switch to the English dub, didn't like the German dub at all.

For now I would say FFXV is on par with other AAA games, especially other big RPGs.
Hmm, I see. I still don't think I would personally do it. I'm honestly thinking about French instead of Japanese dub + German subs now after the French TGS trailer, lol. Sounded way more natural to my ears at least (I actually got goose bumps at the Noctis/Gladio train beef scene), though Cor was hilariously unfitting, like, I literally burst out laughing when he started talking.

j2A5RR.gif

OUR PRINCE IS BACK

PhHdjTr.gif

Welcome back, we missed ya, breh! That text, though. Whew.

LOL@that GIF :D

Forgot from which preview video this was.
vj0CJeI.gif

Positives: seems you can control it more to your liking, doesn't seem automated like PD but to be fair that was a long ago.

Unknowns: I'm going to assume having a soft lock on let's you switch between enemies on the fly and the hard lock on let's you focus on one enemy.. let's hope that's the case.

Trace

Banned
Should let you walk around slowly while the swords fly all over the place

MORE EMO

UnCzd17.gif

Need a scene with Noctis, friends out of screen, walking away from a fire, visibly devastated town in the background. Tears start to roll down his face, he yells out in rage. And then, the camera zooms in on
Ine1AkaF_400x400.jpg

Tyaren

The guy who wrote the Gameswelt preview showed some scenes of the german version in his twitch stream:

https://www.twitch.tv/herrdekay/v/98012027?t=01h17m46s
(If the timestamp doesn't work it starts around 1h 17min)

The main party sounds really good in german.

WTF were they thinking when they cast German Cidney (Cindy). She sounds like a 60 year old chain smoker. At first I thought Prompto was speaking when she approached and opened her mouth for the first time. D:

OrionX

j2A5RR.gif

200.gif

We've never actually spoken, but I've heard the others speak of you. Of how you helped lead the expiring souls of XVGaf through the darkest of times, along with the shepherd M_Night and many others. The Prince, the myth, the legend. Nothing could've prepared me for the real thing. I'm relatively new to GAF, but I've been a believer for much longer. If it's not too late, I would love to join your band of loyal followers, if you'll have my sword. :)

200.gif

We've never actually spoken, but I've heard the others speak of you. Of how you helped lead the expiring souls of XVGaf through the darkest of times, along with the shepherd M_Night and many others. The Prince, the myth, the legend. Nothing could've prepared me for the real thing. I'm relatively new to GAF, but I've been a believer for much longer. If it's not too late, I would love to join your band of loyal followers, if you'll have my sword. :)
This type of stuff is what makes ffxv gaf so great Ahahahaha

.JayZii

Banned
Like these character designs. :D
I'm sorry. Half sorry.
You're not wrong.

At least they didn't keep those original designs. They've updated them enough to look more high fashion unrealistic rather than animu unrealistic. The only costume thing that bothers me at this point are Gladio's pants. Nobody wears high rise, wide leg jeans, bruh. Somebody get this man something with a tapered leg that isn't pulled up to his bellybutton.

200.gif

I'll stand by your side my friend ;') almost there.

I'm kinda glad I only jumped on board a month or 2 ago

The delays and seemingly constant restructures must have been infuriating for those of you who've been on it all along :p

Top Bottom