• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Am I being an unselfish ass to my girlfriend?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's a lot to ask when he's stressed and needs to focus, why does she need constant reassurance that he cares?

She knew his situation but that didn't matter to her so I'd question how much she actually cares about OP when her first response to his stresses is why didn't you ask how I am.

Selfish, self centred, uncaring, lack of understanding all come to mind...
I hear you, and I'd definitely talk with her about timing, but again, this is all stuff I could say about OP too, considering she wanted to talk and he has a self-described "venting session" while driving where he doesn't even ask as a courtesy. I can see both sides justifiably feeling the same about the other.

Basically:

Sounds like she called to talk about something that she wanted to talk about, but when she asked you what's up, you had something to talk about that took up all the time. So she got a little upset, and it escalated to something more.

LNBL

Not worth the trouble mate, maybe she just had a shitty day or something and wanted to share with you. Dont get into another argument with her, just talk and move past it.

Hex

Banned
let it go

This.
Get far away from this thread, do your best with your interview and chalk it up to a thing.
The only thing this thread will do is wreck your relationship.
GAF is not who to talk to here, your girl is.
Get through the day, take a hot shower to relax, give her a hug and just put it behind you.
This is sooooo small and when you look back at it, you will see it.
DO NOT let this thread turn it into something.
She probably had something she wanted to or needed to talk about and due to the situation things went as they did.

I thought you were joking until I clicked on 'other threads started by'...

If you keep getting into trouble with your girlfriends, family, coworkers, bosses, managers... There's always that one linking factor between those people.

I mean, this thread is from the same production company as
- My white Manager says my ringtone makes him uncomfortable
- Anyone ever work with a Snitch?
- I think I accidentally insulted my girlfriend. What should I do?
- Ever had a CoWorker that wont STFU about their personal life?
- Is it fair to hate your Father for how he treats your Mother?
- Is my Manager a Jerk or am I just stupid?

Well damn.
My advice stands, but seriously start doing some internal searching.

turtle553

If you keep getting into trouble with your girlfriends, family, coworkers, bosses, managers... There's always that one linking factor between those people.

Raylan Givens says it best https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=laFGAp6Ip40

I'm not going to pretend I'm super knowledgeable when it comes to relationships, but I think that you're both wrong. You, because you just dumped all this info on your S.O. without asking her what's up with her or why she called you so early in the morning. Her, because if it's been obvious you've been really stressed or she knows how much this position means to you, then her snapping on you isn't the right thing to do.

Either way, neither of you have an exclusive right to be angry, so calm the hell down, talk this out with her, and mutually apologize. And whatever you do, if you don't end up getting the position, don't be an ass and resort to blaming it wholly on her. And all the posts here insulting the girl without knowing what the hell is going on in her life are completely unwarranted and immature.

Well said. I agree. All of this is what I would tell you, OP.

CrazyHorse

They guy just wants advice. Most don't even introspect like this. Give him some credit!!

Novocaine

Going off of your side of the story it sounds like she's the asshole here.

Probably just having a shit day though you're best off letting it slide.

Carcetti

They guy just wants advice. Most don't even introspect like this. Give him some credit!!

I actually think it's good that he's asking advice, yeah.

But OP, you seem to get angry so easily, getting into feuds with people constantly. That's not great for you in the long term and you should seriously try and do something about it. It can't be a happy way to live for you.

Tell her you are sorry. Get her some flowers or a card... and let it go. Shit happens and you will be on the other end when she has a bad day!

This.

edit: lol at the gf defense force. If she isn't listening/being supportive and instead gets mad.. then that shows she's self-centred/doesn't give a shit.

Or that she too has shit on her mind and wants to vent? Relationships are reciprocal.

pyros

You are not the center of the universe, apologize to your girlfriend for your momentary lapse in judgment and carry on with your life

styl3s

Making a drama around nothing and calling you selfish?
Life is too short for this kind of shit.
Exactly.

You clearly explained how stressed out you were for a what seems like a life changing promotion and instead of understanding the stress she turns it around on you and tries to make it about her during a big moment in your life. Life is absolutely too short to deal with this shit. People trying to put it around on OPs side have you ever been in a super stressful situation before in your life? You think it's ok for your partner to blow up on your because in a VERY stressful moment you forgot to ask how your day was? You think that warrants teenager like drama? I don't pretend to understand OP's personal life but dude has absolutely nothing to apologize for.

Valtýr

Not asking about the other person a single time normally doesn't warrant blowing up and causing drama. Maybe there's something else is going on that lead to the reaction, who knows.

Talk to her.

nortonff

Hi, I'm nortonff. I spend my life going into threads to say that I don't care about the topic of the thread. It's a really good use of my time.
Tiny little fight there man, and it's not even your fault.
Just let it go.

MrToughPants

Brian Burke punched my mom
Halfway into work my girl calls me we exchange pleasebtries and she asks me how im doing, I say stressed and I basically tell her all that had happened with me etc.

This venting session lasts right up until I pull into my parking spot at work, with 4 hours to go before my big interview. I say I got to go Im at work now. To which she repsonds you didn't even ask what am I up to and then BOOM. She starts fighting with me calling me selfish for not wanting to hear what shes up to.

What the fuck is this OP!?!

Were you on the phone while driving, explain yourself!

C.Mongler

let it go

Seriously. This is the best tip to have a healthy, lasting relationship. As long as it isn't long-term, intentional, villainous behavior, just talk it out and let anything go. And it goes for both parties too. Holding grudges over little shit like this will just turn into perpetual resentment and inevitably a nasty break-up.

If it actually went as you say it did I think your girlfriend was being pretty disrespectful picking a fight like that right before you had an important interview. Even if she had an issue with you, she should have held it until that evening to bring it up to not jeopardise your mental state going in to the interview.

I dunno, I think that's a really rude thing to do to someone before something important like that.

Bring it up to her later and talk to her about how you feel about her doing that to you. I think you have a right to be a a bit miffed.

I think "just let it go" is bad advice fyi. Actually talk about it or nothing will be learned in either end.

derder

People in a relationship share stress. She is likely stressed because you are and doesn't even know it. That's likely why she started the fight

leakey

Sounds like you're both sensitive to each other's feelings. You apologized for the circumstances. Let it go and good luck getting the new position. My fiancee and I have little tiffs over dumb shit sometimes, usually when one or both of us is hangry, but it never escalates or affects our relationship. Every day has ups and downs, it's all how you manage it.

kavanf1

Based on the info in the OP, she should apologise for being selfish if this is only an isolated incident. OTOH, maybe she had big news that was stressing her out that she wanted to tell you and then didn't get a chance because of how things played out. You won't know until you check with her, but if it's just a case of her getting stroppy because you didn't ask how she is, then yeah, she should be the one apologising.

Eh, you both have a point. Just apologize and say you were stuck in your own problems. At the same time if this is the first time it's happened, by her own admission, kind of strange for her to want to argue about it. Maybe she also was dealing with some stuff.

Verelios

Come on OP
Where is the moment we needed the most
You kick up the leaves and the magic is lost
They tell me your blue skies fade to grey
They tell me your passion's gone away
And I don't need no carryin' on

You stand in the line just to hit a new low
You're faking a smile with the coffee to go
You tell me your life's been way off line
You're falling to pieces every time

'Cause you had a bad day
You're taking one down
You sing a sad song just to turn it around
You say you don't know
You tell me don't lie
You work at a smile and you go for a ride
You had a bad day
The camera don't lie
You're coming back down and you really don't mind
You had a bad day
You had a bad day

Well, you need a blue sky holiday
The point is they laugh at what you say

You had a bad day
You're taking one down
You sing a sad song just to turn it around
You say you don't know
You tell me don't lie
You work at a smile and you go for a ride
You had a bad day
The camera don't lie
You're coming back down and you really don't mind
You had a bad day

Sing along with your girl, it's A-ok

gwailo

Banned
For real lmao. People so quick to go fucking nuclear after one fight. 😂

Seriously, this is like 0.5 out of 10 for fights I've had in relationships. For the OP to get so upset about it to the point that he got a migrane and take the time to write a post about it really says a lot. He really needs to learn how to deal with conflict in a better wa.

-Call her
-Let her know you're thoughts on the interview
-Apologize for not having time to ask about her day BECAUSE you were stressed about the interview
-Ask how her day is
-Go home and have make up sex

What I've learned is to always answer "fine" and then immediately ask the girl how she is doing. 9/10 times the girl wants to talk about herself.

based on the way OP phrased his story, it seemed like she had something specific she wanted to tell him, and was giving him a not-so subtle nudge to segue the convo towards whatever she wanted to discuss.

But the OP made things all about him.

based on the way OP phrased his story, it seemed like she had something specific she wanted to tell him, and was giving him a not-so subtle nudge to segue the convo towards whatever she wanted to discuss.

But the OP made things all about him.

She was going to do the same so why phrase it like the OP is an ass for doing it? He needed to vent it happens.

Schlep

I personally would talk about it, but I wouldn't say sorry. That's rewarding a clearly shitty behavior on her part, and reinforces that any time she feels put out, it's up to you to apologize. I always apologize when I'm in the wrong, but placating someone like that only sets up future, bigger arguments, imo.

Are you the kind of person who likes to talk a lot? Is she as well? Might not be a good fit.

I hate talking. My wife loves to talk. Works out great. Note that not liking to talk does not mean I like listening, I just tune out and think about games or TV shows or books or whatever while people talk to me. Most of the time its great, you get really good at making the right sounds and face gestures and people just want a face to vent to.

Sure, I know I'm kind of an asshole for not really listening but then again I really don't give a shit about your problems with Janice in accounting and its a boring story so why am I the asshole for listening to you vent for 45 minutes?

I also have a dog and it is the greatest thing in the world for staring raptly at you while you wax philosophically on the stupidest shit in the world.

Keep in mind as well while your problems may seem like the biggest deal in the world to you, they may not to her and she may be having problems just as large.

This is actually a stereotype.

I believe the expression goes: "Your husband is the best person to share your secrets with, because he doesn't know who you're talking about and he's not even listening."

Catdaddy

"I'm sorry, I was just worried about the upcoming interview and not completely focused, so what's happening with you?"

- 26 years of marriage....

She may have had something big going on as well...

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
I can appreciate the frustration that comes with feeling like you are constantly having to do or say the right thing, with very little allowance for messy human behaviour. In your position, I might think something like 'why can't I just not do the exact right thing once without getting called out on it, when I'm already feeling so much stress'.

I get it, it sucks. But I think the thing to really focus on is - which person would you rather be? The one who let's something like this spiral, because you want to be selfish 'for once' - or the person who, even when they have the world on their shoulders, is able to look at this as a chance to be an even better person. I generally find when people do the latter, and for example in your case apologize and say something like 'I'm sorry honey, I was letting the stress get to me and I was inconsiderate, I really do want to know how you're doing, is everything alright with you? Let's talk about it.' - The results are much more fulfilling. You feel better about yourself, and you give the people around a better model for to reflect on, and interact with - which often reminds them of the values that you're looking for.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom