• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amazon: "At Amazon, our goal is to create great PC games.", posts 70 jobs

Amazon continuing the 'jack of all trades master of none' in my eyes.

Hard to see where you see that here. They are building PC only games apparently, that would imply they are not trying some mass market minecraft like thing that is on every platform. Picking Cryengine seems to echo that as well (which scales to other platforms... but definitely not as much as say... Unity).

golem

Curious to see what their goal is here, not sure how it fits in with their company exactly. Or maybe Bezos just loves PC gaming

M3d10n

They are shovelware because they are smaller-scale games? That doesn't make sense.
Shovelware is a harsh term, but their games so far have that weird look of "constrained ambition" you would find in many B-tier PS2 games where the developers try to emulate big boy games out of passion in a much smaller budget and the result is a game that, even if fun, has no target audience: They lack, casual appeal and "core" gamers have better alternatives elsewhere. This happens a lot when you get a bunch of ex-console developers into mobile development at first.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Awesome news, I can't wait to see what Amazon puts out. I wonder, will they create their own storefront seperate from Steam?

Introducing the FirePC - with Prime benefits!

You know, if they did this, it has the possibility to be an interesting move. An Amazon pre-built PC that's subsidized like most of their other products is what a lot of people wanted out of Steam Boxes, right? A flagship that's priced well with decent specs?

IvorB

ItHasBegun.gif

Durante

Their console effort tanked, but they didn't want to lay off all the studios, so they went this route.
Well, they create TV series despite not selling TVs. It makes sense to start creating games even if they don't sell gaming systems.

Jetman

Curiously, I got an invite to an "E3 After Party" in LA from Amazon earlier this week. Did anyone else not in the industry get this? I guess they're showing off some new games, and playable Crossy Road And Gunsport (probably shitty mobile games)?

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Well, they TV series despite not selling TVs. It makes sense to start creating games even if they don't sell gaming systems.

They have a built in ecosystem though that warrants creating product for it.

This just seems like a giant mess. They failed with their initial gaming ventures and are trying to salvage something now. Good for consumers I guess.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
They have a built in ecosystem though that warrants creating product for it.

This just seems like a giant mess. They failed with their initial gaming ventures and are trying to salvage something now. Good for consumers I guess.

They rounded up a lot of high end talent, so it makes sense to make a go of it.

Amazon storefront incoming?

Might be a bit early for that though. I'm looking to see what they come out with, they certainly have the funds to prop up a development studio.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Huh? PC? I thought they were gonna do something of their own? I hope they go all in on a store/client. Steam desperately needs a good competitor

Fixed it.

Good thing PC free to play games have a pretty decent reputation.

Huh? PC? I thought they were gonna do something of their own? I hope they go all in on a store/client. Steam desperately needs a good competitor

GoG Galaxy seems to be the most pro-consumer competitor to Steam that doesn't try to degrade the quality of Steam's service. It's just a bit barebones at the moment.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
And probably a Steam rival. After all, they create TV shows for their streaming service. Makes sense to create PC games for a new Amazon service.

How fucking cool would it be if they released pilots for their games and had users vote on what they wanted made the most?
It's an insanely dumb idea, but it would be cool dammit

IvorB

Amazon storefront incoming?

Might be a bit early for that though. I'm looking to see what they come out with, they certainly have the funds to prop up a development studio.

Well they don't seem to put anything out that doesn't support their core business in some way so I doubt they're putting out games just to keep gamers happy. Amazon vs Valve would be pretty entertaining...

Edit: Whatever the case it would seem that Amazon has fixed their eye on gaming so things could potentially get interesting.

IzzyF3

I've been playing their most recent mobile release from Wayforward. Til Morning-- something, my phone cuts off the rest of the title. It's actually a pretty decent adventure game without any of the mobile money traps. I hope to see some console games from them though.

Krejlooc

Banned
Amazon should have honestly tried to push a Steam Machine instead of their fire console.

EDIT: And this was a sentiment I shared before their console even was announced.

Nzyme32

So... FireTV was a bomb then? I figured they had more of a long term plan than that.

Considering the people they have been hiring for so long that are gaming focused, I doubt FireTV's failure or success has any bearing on the plans for what those guys are up to

So... FireTV was a bomb then? I figured they had more of a long term plan than that.

the fireTV was a streaming device that just happened to also play games. It wasn't the main focus of the device.

these hirings seem to point to them making games that isn't limited by their hardware platforms. Kinda exciting stuff, though i doubt they would throw their weight behind something with AAA production values.

Luke_Wal

Amazon has the potential to make what the Steam Box could have been. They already have a huge Digital Distribution store, and sell almost every big game through it. Ironically, most of them are just Steam codes, but I see that as being their play. Build up their version of Steam, then release the "console" (actually just a PC).

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Remember when they were going to develop Fire TV games? And even had a trailer for them and everything? I expect that this will be another fruitless endeavor.

Denton

This is very good news. I was afraid talent like Clint Hocking would be completely wasted on some mobile games and what not. Now I am quite curious what are they cooking there.

Steel

Banned
Not what I expected from Amazon. Then again, amazon seems to be trying to get their hands in everything.

scitek

Curiously, I got an invite to an "E3 After Party" in LA from Amazon earlier this week. Did anyone else not in the industry get this? I guess they're showing off some new games, and playable Crossy Road And Gunsport (probably shitty mobile games)?

I've been looking for a good after party to go to. I'm too new to get those invites, or maybe it's because I just don't know anyone lol

Top Bottom