• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amazon: "At Amazon, our goal is to create great PC games.", posts 70 jobs

IvorB

Amazon should have honestly tried to push a Steam Machine instead of their fire console.

EDIT: And this was a sentiment I shared before their console even was announced.

Why play messenger boy for the Big Boss when you can be the Big Boss?

V-Faction

You have my well wishes, Amazon. There are plenty of amazing PC games out there with amazing developer(s) behind them, so expect great competition. It's the market that birthed the free-wielding nature.

Somnid

FireTV was not their game strategy, AGS was an experiment to make first-party mobile games up until they started making major acquisitions last year. It was clear then that they did not make those acquisitions for pure mobile and that we wouldn't see the fruits of that for quite some time. In fact, even their increasingly bigger mobile titles like Til Morning's Light are stop-gap external development. There is no big change in direction, they just never started.

Guri

Around one week or two ago, Kim Swift posted job openings for her team (and they're working on PC games too). So, yeah, not surprised. Also, her team and Double-Helix are not the same.

Nyoro SF

Remember when they were going to develop Fire TV games? And even had a trailer for them and everything? I expect that this will be another fruitless endeavor.

This is the last I remember of Amazon doing game hires.

I remember media hyping up the fact that they had poached all of this top tier talent but we never saw anything come from it.

I'm honestly not expecting much from them. A company like this without any proper focus won't make any waves even with a game release.

Chobel

Notes:
-There seems to be a variety of games here.
-At least one of them appears to be f2p given the job postings, which isn't that surprising for PC gaming.
-The jobs suggest these are core oriented games.

daniel-bryan-yes-o.gif

wildfire

Banned
More over-ambitious nonsense from a bloated clueless organisation fixated on expansion into areas they havent got a clue about.

But it's better that they try, isn't it?

Best case we have another good dev for PC games. Worst we lose nothing.

I look to Amazon to offer a great online shipping experience. They can branch out into other industries (Sony's best business is their Insurance Policy subsidiary) but there is no reason to believe they are putting their money at risk spending time and resources in an area they will be automatically competent at.

That money and resources if wasted could've been put into making a better online store.

Mivey

Notes:
-There seems to be a variety of games here.
-At least one of them appears to be f2p given the job postings, which isn't that surprising for PC gaming.
-The jobs suggest these are core oriented games.
One has to wonder,
what would be a hardcore F2P game? Forcing you to do micro transactions to get past the menu screen? (everytime)

Join us, and you’ll have the power of Twitch, AWS, and the entire Amazon ecosystem to shape the future of games.

This almost sounds like something a movie villain would say in a deep voice, his arm outstretched.

Wiktor

Amazon should have honestly tried to push a Steam Machine instead of their fire console.

EDIT: And this was a sentiment I shared before their console even was announced.

Umm..wat? You mean a steam machine-like device, right? Because Amazon making a device that uses Steam makes zero sense.

Wiktor

That money and resources if wasted could've been put into making a better online store.

Erm.....Amazon pretty much invests all their profits back into company. Spending hundreds of millions of dollars each quarter on improving just a website would be insane. Especially since a lot of their investments in other stuff are doing very well.

hesido

Oh, I've seen this in VentureBeat. Of course GAF has seen it days ago.

But this is good news, a new power house publisher of games catering to the core gaming crowd.

Crytek have a deal with Amazon for huge amount so seems like they want to use their tech to create AAA games for PC (may be consoles too).

I enjoy shopping at Amazon though I've never used a fire or any of their other devices. I like that they aim to generate money through customer loyalty, it worked well for Valve and maybe they'll duplicate their success.

hesido

Oh! Thanks for the correction. Didn't know she stepped out of the games industry altogether.

But this also is something to talk about:
Amazon says it has already nabbed folks who worked on such games as Portal, World of Warcraft, BioShock, Half Life 2, Left for Dead, Dota 2, Halo, Infamous, Shadows of Mordor and The Last of Us.

Which other dev went to amazon from ND? There were other departures indeed..

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
This matches the job postings:

Grain of salt: when i was in Seattle attending the international Dota 2 event, my uber driver noticed my attire (lol) and asked if i was watching the games. He said the other day he took 3 amazon employees who "are going to see the event and how its managed. They told me that they are working on making something like that "dota" game, but even better."

Granted this guy really had no idea about videogames let alone Dota. Sure it means nothing but who knows

Top Bottom